Zucchini Noodles with Cherry Tomato Garlic Cream Sauce and Breadcrumbs.
I’m making you dinner in 30 minutes!
It’s that simple. So easy. And it will be on the table pronto, so open up that bottle of wine.
Late as usual, but I’m really getting into zoodles. FINALLY. I’m psyched too, because it’s been an easy way for me to incorporate more vegetables. One of the keys to making sure that I actually EAT them is trying to add in something at each meal. Ugh. I don’t love it. And I find myself doing a mushroom egg scramble in the morning and maybe having tomatoes with avocado toast at lunch, and before I know it, I’m making charred corn for dinner and have totally flaked on anything GREEN.
I wish my greenery could be more intentional but… it isn’t. So I’m doing this! I’ve been making some zucchini noodles once or twice a week and incorporating them into our meals. Even if we still use regular noodles, I’ve tossed some zucchini ones in there too. For good measure. We are L.O.V.I.N.G. it.
At least I say we are loving it. I’m loving it. I don’t even know if Eddie has noticed. Typical.
Also, um I need to tell you about this sauce that I used. A few weeks ago I walked into DeLallo to buy a humiliating quantity of cheese and I found these cans of cherry tomato sauce. There are whole cherry tomatoes in the sauce and I just think it is completely adorable. Obviously, this exact type or brand of sauce isn’t necessary for this recipe, but it’s where those plump little red rounds come from. You can mimic the look with whole cherry tomatoes from the grocery store, tossed in your sauce, if you’re into cute things.
But really, all you need is your favorite tomato sauce, cream and garlic cloves out the wahzoo.
There is LOTS of garlic in here so if you’re not into that, you might want to adjust to your kissing preferences.
You can also find: copious amounts of parmesan cheese. Along with garlic butter breadcrumbs, which I am finding have become a signature topping of mine for pretty much everything over the last five years. This bowl is crunchy, creamy and cheesy. The three C’s of deliciousness and the needs of texture freaks everywhere.
I didn’t even realize until I was finishing this dish that it could end up… PINK. I haven’t made a tomato cream sauce in ages and I forgot what a lovely shade the end result turns to. Also, I guess this could be a super perfect holiday meal since it’s green and red and pink but…
I’m liking it a little better for Valentine’s day. A healthy Valentine’s day, of course! All cheese and cream is canceled out by the vegetable. Just how it works.
Zucchini Noodles with Cherry Tomato Garlic Cream Sauce
- 4 medium zucchini squash, spiralized into spaghetti-like noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 28 ounces tomato sauce with whole tomatoes, mine were cherry!
- 1/3 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- freshly shaved parmesan cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the olive oil and butter. Add the shallots and a pinch of salt. Cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, basil and red pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Add in the tomato sauce and stir. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream or half +half, along with the grated parmesan cheese. Add the zucchini noodles to the skillet and take your time thoroughly tossing them in the sauce. Cover and let simmer for 10 more minutes. Top with the breadcrumbs, freshly shaved parmesan and serve.
garlic butter breadcrumbs
- Add the butter and olive oil to the saucepan. Once melted, add bread pieces and stir well to coat and combine. Sprinkle with garlic powder and salt. Stir constantly over medium-low heat until the crumbs are golden and toasty.
all those veggies = extra cake for dessert too.