Banana Bread with Espresso Glaze.
I’ve discovered a new way to caffeinate.
And it involves cake. I mean bread. I mean cake, disguised as bread. We all know that’s what this really is, right? This whole banana bread thing is really just a big old cake masquerading as bread so we don’t feel as terrible about ourselves when we house three slices right out of the oven, burning every last taste bud off our tongue due to this syndrome called extreme impatience.
Yes, it’s all the cake bread’s fault.
Not surprisingly whatsoever, the glaze is my favorite part. It’s embarrassing really, assuming that anything on earth could make banana bread taste better, but I have found it. For me, I’ll tell you what doesn’t work: nuts. No nuts in my bread. Or my cake. Or my dessert, forever ever.
But espresso glaze? I have unlocked the secret to being able to consume more banana bread than we thought was humanely possible.
The glaze is just so… warm. WarmING. I mean, not physically warm or anything, but it’s warming to the soul. I’m getting deep, I know. It’s void of all spices but for some reason, the espresso and the sugar just whip into this deliciously warm tasting blanket of love.
That is going to cover your bread cake. I mean cake bread.
Also! Look at this crunchy top. I added turbinado sugar before baking, so it was crunchy UNDER the glaze. Um, best idea ever. Hello.
FUNNY you should mention that I’m still on a mini-hiatus from coffee at the moment. (read: just this week, before I go wacky.). It’s pretty apparent that I might be losing my mind to the caffeine addiction when I find it necessary to cover my baked goods in it.
But here’s the thing! The banana bread also has a teeeeeny hint of espresso powder, so it lends a richness to the flavor without tasting like a big old cup of coffee.
It works together and tastes just a leeeettle different than plain old banana bread.
I’ve shared quite a few banana bread recipes over the years, soooo can you tell I’m crazy obsessed with the glaze here? IT’S ALL ABOUT THE GLAZE!
Nooooo. Not crazy at all.
Banana Bread with Espresso Glaze
- 1 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted and slightly cooled
- 4 bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- coarse sugar for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 ounces freshly brewed espresso
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan thoroughly with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, whisking thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and brown sugar until smooth. Add in the milk and coconut oil, whisking until combined. Stir in the mashed bananas and vanilla extract until mixed. Slowly stir in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter in the greased loaf pan. Top with coarse sugar.
- Place the loaf pan on a baking sheet and set in the oven. Bake for 75 to 85 minutes, or until the center is set. If the streusel begins to brown, tent the bread with aluminum foil. Remove the bread and let it cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Gently turn the bread out on a plate or cutting board and let it cool completely before glazing.
- Whisk together the ingredients until a smooth, drippy glaze forms. If the mixture is too thin, you can thicken it by adding a little more powdered sugar. If it seems too thick, add 1 teaspoon of milk at a time, whisking to combine. Pour it over the banana bread and let it set for 30 minutes before slicing.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
I might just drink a shot of that instead.
77 Comments on “Banana Bread with Espresso Glaze.”
Pingback: How to make the best banana bread no matter what
Pingback: How to make the best banana bread no matter what - CNET - scoreit.online
Pingback: How to make the best banana bread no matter what : The Gray Wolf
Pingback: How to make the best banana bread no matter what | samachar24
Pingback: Find out how to make one of the best banana bread it doesn't matter what : The Gray Wolf
Pingback: How to make the best banana bread no matter what | UM~Tech Group
Pingback: How to make the best banana bread no matter what – Kenai Organic Farms
Pingback: How to make the best banana bread no matter what – CNET
Pingback: How to make the best banana bread no matter what - Not For Meat Eaters
Pingback: How to make the best banana bread no matter what – Vegan simplicity
Pingback: How to make the best banana bread no matter what – CNET | PenaDah
Pingback: Here's how to make the best banana bread no matter what | TechnoMag - Place To Learn | Place To Earn
Pingback: Here's how to make the best banana bread no matter what | UM~Tech Group
Pingback: Here’s how to make the best banana bread no matter what | samachar24
Pingback: This Is Find Out How To Make The Most Effective Banana Bread It Doesn't Matter What - Techy Beasts
I’ve made this bread 3 times already, each time with complete success!! It’s always the first bread gone, both because people are intrigued by the delicious combo of espresso + banana, AND because they always go back for seconds!
I’ve tried it exactly as instructed -HIT
Added chocolate chips and walnuts -HIT
Omitted glaze -HIT (and made me feel a little healthier haha)
Literally this is the perfect banana bread recipe and I will use it *forever*
Pingback: 15 Easy Coffee Recipes to Try This Year – Healthy Food and Diet Recipes Tips – Papaperrone.com
Pingback: 15 Easy Coffee Recipes to Try This Year
Pingback: 15 Best Healthy Banana Bread Recipes – 2021 Healthy Weight Loss
Pingback: 15 Best Healthy Banana Bread Recipes
Very moist and flavorful! I left the glaze off, though. The bread by itself was great!
Pingback: 15 Best Healthy Banana Bread Recipes – wordpress-472554-1883903.cloudwaysapps.com
Pingback: 15 Easy Coffee Recipes to Try in 2021 | Eat This Not That - Eranews24