Champagne Caramel Popcorn. (and Bacon Parmesan Popcorn!)
I have good news!
Popcorn is a whole grain.
It’s also vegetarian. I guess it’s even vegan if you skip the butter.
This means that you can totally include this in your 2017 diet resolutions for this first weekend.
The first weekend is always the toughest, right? If you’re whole 30ing it or trying not to consume vats of wine after the holidays, Saturday night is always a good place to LOSE those resolutions. At least for me. I can be so set in my resolutions until Saturday around 4PM, when I just want to let loose, feel comfortable and enjoy all the things I haven’t enough for… oh… five days?
Seems like an ETERNITY.
But so! Good news indeed. It’s popcorn. You can have it. And ssshhhhhh don’t worry about the parmesan and bacon and champagne and caramel. It’s so minor that you don’t even have to factor it in.
I won’t tell a soul. Promise.
This first week of the year is tricky for recipes, because I want a bunch of healthy dinner ideas, but I also want a good snacky idea to for Golden Globes watching purposes. Major first world probs, if I do say so myself. Why must this fun Sunday night show fall on the first weekend of the new year, when I’ve resolved to stop eating in front of the TV as well as stop going to bed in the middle of the night?
Since I am so excessive that ONE flavor of popcorn isn’t enough, I figured we had to do two. A savory and a sweet one. Plus, can we talk about how this is just the fast microwaveable popcorn in a brown paper bag that you make yourself? YES YES. Homemade microwave popcorn.
Both of these recipes are super quick and easy, and while the champagne caramel may take about 15ish minutes, that’s doable if you get to eat champagne caramel after. RIGHT?!
New favorite thing alert: champagne caramel.
It tastes like angel tears. I think it might even be my blood type after consumption of this popcorn.
And I get it: not everyone wants boozy caramel on their popcorn. So crisp up some bacon, grate some parmesan and toss some truffle salt into that mess.
Annnnd if spicy is more your style: brown sugar sriracha sesame popcorn! Dying.
- 1/3 cup corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup champagne
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 3 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon truffle salt
- Combine the kernels and coconut oil and place them in a brown paper bag. Fold the top down a few times so it’s secure, then microwave for 2 minutes to 2.5 minutes, or until the kernels are popped. Open the bag and pour the kernels in a large bowl to cool slightly.
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk to combine, then cook and stir until the mixture is bubbling. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until it slightly thickens and is smooth. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature – it will thicken as it cools! Drizzle over the popped popcorn right before serving. Serve with champagne!
- Toss the popped popcorn with the melted butter. Toss with the parmesan, truffle salt and bacon. Serve immediately!
That’s a good caramel to popcorn ratio for me.