How to Make an Amazing Smoked Salmon Platter.
Oh my gosh. Say hello to the best smoked salmon platter ever!
My love for smoked salmon knows no bounds. Be it brunch or an appetizer – I am INTO it. Remember when I made these smoked salmon bagels a few years ago? I ate that for a few solid months straight. So delicious!
On Christmas Eve, my uncle makes a fabulous smoked salmon platter that we share before dinner. It is so, so good and something I look forward to every year! And it’s fun because smoked salmon tends to be served most at breakfast – so this is a little treat.
His platter is to die for and includes delicious things like capers (oh hi tart and briney foods that I adore!), everything seasoning, fresh dill – all the toppings. I’ve wanted to put something together for brunch ideas for you guys for the holidays, and this was at the top of my mind! It is incredible to serve with bagels, toast and crackers and always such a hit.
It’s savory, rich, but also kind of light at the same time – if that makes sense. The key is having enough options out so people can tailor it to their tastes. If you want to keep things light, make a plate of salmon and cucumbers and everything seasoning and tomatoes. If you want to go big, a bagel slathered with cream cheese, topped with salmon, avocado – everything you can imagine! – is the way to go.
A killer smoked salmon platter is seriously the way to my heart.
I’ve been working on my menus for December and Christmas week. Specifically, I want to make sure that we have enough GOOD food here during that crazy holiday week, so we don’t heat up cheesy potatoes four days in a row and run to Christmas cookies for sustenance. I’m planning on a delish Christmas breakfast for the four of us (with something sweet but also a light option), then having a few things on hand for the day after. I don’t want to order takeout when we will be eating so many heavy dishes around the holidays, you know?
So this smoked salmon is number one of my list! I’m going to get some freshly smoked the morning of Christmas Eve and then keep it on hand for the next few days. I’m so excited about it that I can’t even take it.
And I’m totally tempted to make my own smoked salmon too. We have a smoker (an old version of this one – smoked a turkey in it on Thanksgiving and it was PHENOM) and also the wood fired pizza oven that I got Eddie for his birthday, so I should totally be able to do it right? Any tips? Tell me, tell me!
Oh and P.S. we can’t forget to talk about THESE EGGS. Soft boiled and perfect for eating alone or on your bagel or on your plate with the salmon. Freaking delicious. And the everything seasoning! I have a recipe for it in Seriously Delish but also have it a few times here on the blog. So much better to make it here at home.
Now please tell me this is going to be a feature on your weekends until Christmas!
Smoked Salmon Platter
Smoked Salmon Platter
- 4 eggs soft boiled
- 1 to 2 pounds smoked salmon
- 1 8-ounce block cream cheese
- 1 english cucumber sliced into rounds or lengthwise
- 1 red onion diced or sliced into rounds
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup fresh dill some chopped
- 1/3 cup capers
- 1/4 cup everything seasoning
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- bagels toast, crackers for serving
- freshly cracked pepper for serving
- extra whipped cream cheese if desired
- To make the eggs, heat about 3 inches of water in a small saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Once boiling, reduce the heat until it’s barely at a simmer, add the eggs gently and cook for 6 minutes. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and place in an ice bath. Let cool completely before peeling.
- To assemble your platter, place a block of cream cheese in the center and cover it with a sprinkling of pepper, fresh dill, everything seasoning and capers. Surround it with the salmon, eggs, cucumbers, onion, tomatoes, dill, lemon and bagels or whatever else you have!
- Serve immediately! Add champagne and coffee.