Cheesy Chicken Baked Avocados.
YOU GUYS. These baked avocados are to die for.
If you’re anything like me and get super bored with easy dinner ideas, have a hard time coming up with something different and crave things that don’t taste like “the usual,” then we are BFF’s for life.
And baked avocados are all you need.
Remember last summer when I made these chicken salad stuffed avocados? They are hugely popular here on the blog and lots of you make them for lunch. And even dinner!
I’ve been loving that recipe in the new year, but wanted something with a little more….warmth.
I mean, even though we haven’t been covered in snow, our days have been gloomy and filled with rain. Enter: new and improved comfort food!
Yes, so in a weird turn of events, I baked my avocado. This isn’t something I ever thought I’d do, but here we are and I don’t hate it.
So easy, and you can make these in about 30 minutes!
First, this wasn’t my idea – I can’t take credit! Lacy and her boyfriend have been eating them and the first time she had one, she raved about it. Really talked about how we had to make them for weeks! (p.s. we’re pretty sure the originals she had were from here!)
Of course, I had to trash them up a bit because baked avocados with extra cheese and a drizzle sounded perfect.
You need some shredded chicken! Easy. So however you go about getting that, whether it’s leftover grilled chicken from dinner or a rotisserie chicken you grab from the store, it’s your base. I have shredded chicken on hand all the time because it’s so great in a pinch. I’d say half the time I prep my own, and then if I’m at Whole Foods I might grab one of their rotisserie chickens. Depends on the week!
As a side note, I’m very into exclamation points today if you couldn’t tell.
So you’re going to make a chicken salad of sorts, but the only thing binding it is some of the avocado you scrape out. It’s SO good.
And the drizzle on top is a sriracha lime yogurt! It adds that little kick.
The other thing!
Lots of you have been telling me you’re having NO luck with avocados lately. I couldn’t agree more. I do the stem trick and all – and when I open them at home, they are black inside! My only solution has been buying them when they are still green and hard as a rock, then allowing them to ripen both on my counter and in the fridge and watching them like a hawk.
They go from ripe to black in, like, 21 seconds.
We are just crazy over these.
They have a little tex-mex vibe to them, but not enough to make you feel like you’re eating a taco.
They are perfect, and if you’re feeling a little freaky, crush some tortilla chips on top. Wild Monday night.
Chicken Baked Avocados
Cheesy Chicken Baked Avocados
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Cut 1 avocado open and scoop all the flesh out. Place it in a large bowl. I like to scoop out just a tiny bit of the remaining 4 avocados to create more of a “bowl” and have more room for the chicken, but it’s not necessary. If you scoop a bit out, add it to the bowl.
- To that same bowl, add the chicken, 1/3 cup cheese, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir well until combined, making sure to mash the avocado into the mixture to act as a binder and hold the chicken together.
- Take an ice cream scoop or spoon and place about ¼ cup (or however much you want!) of the chicken mixture into the cut avocados. Sprinkling the remaining 1/3 cup of cheese over top of the avocados.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the chicken is warmed through and the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and drizzle the avocados with the sriracha drizzle. The avocados will get a little dark in color from the baking.
- Sprinkle with extra cilantro and greek onions if you wish. Serve immediately!
sriracha yogurt drizzle
- Whisk together the yogurt, sriracha and lime juice until combined. You can make this a few hours ahead of time and store it in the fridge!
Margaritas on the side too!