Crispy Beer Battered Avocado Tacos
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces of your favorite beer
- 4 avocados sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 to 12 4-inch corn or flour tortillas
- 4 ounces queso fresco cheese crumbled
- 1 big handful of microgreens or fresh cilantro for topping
- extra lime wedges
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo diced
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from a can of chipotles
- 1 lime juiced
quick pickled onions
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup water
Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet or saucepan over medium heat. You want it to be shimmering and when you drop a small spoonful of batter into the oil and is starts to fry, you’re good to go.
In a bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt and whisk to combine. Pour in the beer and whisk until a smooth batter forms. Dip each avocado slice in the batter and gently place it in the skillet. Don’t overcrowd the skillet – you can fill the bottom but do a few batches at a time. As soon as the avocado is golden and crispy, turn it over and fry for another minute or so, frying for about 2 to 3 minutes total. Place each avocado slice on a paper towel to drain any excess grease.
To build the tacos, place 2 to 3 slices in the center of the tortilla and add the pickled onions, microgreens and/or cilantro, queso fresco and chipotle crema. Add a lime spritz and you’re good to go!
quick pickled onions
Place the onions in a jar or cup. In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and salt until the sugar and salt dissolve. Whisk in the water. Pour over the sliced onions. Let sit at room temperature for an hour. You can obviously make this ahead of time and once made, store it in the fridge in a sealed container or jar.
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Trans Fat: 0g, Potassium: 0mg, Vitamin A: 0IU, Vitamin C: 0mg, Calcium: 0mg, Iron: 0mg