Blueberry Breakfast Cookies
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry or all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, flaxseed, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a smaller bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, egg, coconut oil, butter, vanilla extract and buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix them until just combined. Stir in the blueberries, almonds and the chocolate until they are evenly dispersed.
Scoop out the dough 2 tablespoons at a time and place it on a nonstick baking sheet, keeping the cookies 2 inches apart from each other. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, then remove the sheet from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet.
These cookies are best when eaten the first or second day, but can be stored in a sealed bag or container for up to 5 days. I even like them stored in the fridge and you can freeze the dough ahead of time too. I suggest scooping out the cookies and freezing like that. Bake at the same temperature for a minute or so longer if frozen.
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Trans Fat: 0g, Potassium: 0mg, Vitamin A: 0IU, Vitamin C: 0mg, Calcium: 0mg, Iron: 0mg