Gouda Grits with Smoky Brown Butter Shrimp
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits, I like the quaker 5 minute grits, but you can definitely use the stone ground if you’re a grit purist! – just follow the directions they come with.
- 8 ounces gouda cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ears grilled sweet corn, cut from the cob
- 2 tablespoons freshly snipped chives
- 1 pound raw peeled and deveined shrimp, I like the larger grilling shrimp
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced or pressed
Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Once boiling, add the grits and whisk constantly until they are fully mixed into the stock, about a minute or two. Reduce the heat to low and cover, stirring once or twice more, until the grits are thicker and creamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in the grated cheese, salt and pepper. Taste and season more if desired – this will depend on the salt in your stock and cheese.
Pat the shrimp completely dry with paper towels. Once it’s dry, season it with the salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder and cumin. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the butter. Once it’s melted and begins to sizzle, add the shrimp in batches (don’t overcrowd it!) and cook on both sides until pink. The butter will brown as the shrimp cooks and you can whisk it occasionally to prevent it from burning. When the shrimp is finished, stir in the garlic (I stir a little in each batche of the shrimp) and cook for a second then place the shrimp on a plate. Repeat.
To serve the grits, spoon them into a bowl and add the shrimp on top. I like to drizzle any of the butter in the pan on top too. Cover with spoonfuls of grilled corn (you can toss it in butter, salt and pepper!) and a sprinkling of chives. Eat immediately.
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Trans Fat: 0g, Potassium: 0mg, Vitamin A: 0IU, Vitamin C: 0mg, Calcium: 0mg, Iron: 0mg