I’m fairly convinced that the world would be a better place if more sprinkles were involved.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

I know. I just made pancakes. It seems I have an unnatural obsession with cake batter. Well I do.
But hear me out.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

When I develop recipes, I try to make all of them for a purpose. We really hate to waste food in this house. Crab cakes for dinner, cake for a birthday party, quinoa as a side dish… it all works out. I get to share it with you and we get to eat it.
Then sometimes, I get ideas in my head. Ideas that get me so worked up that I must attempt the recipe and give it a shot as soon as possible, even if it isn’t something we will eat every day. Otherwise, I cannot stop thinking about it. These are the things that keep me up at night.

Case in point: it isn’t anyone’s birthday. It’s not even really close to anyone’s birthday.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

But I don’t need an excuse to eat cake and sprinkles. I believe it should be a daily occurrence.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

And because pancakes always need some sort of topping, I went with a sprinkled glaze.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

Because nothing goes better with cake than more sugar!

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

These are just plain fun.

Sure, they would be best for a special occasion like a birthday, but they also work on a random Saturday in January when it’s -2 degrees outside and all you want to see is some sunshine.
And you don’t feel like getting on the treadmill, so you decided to eat cake instead.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

That wasn’t me. I swear.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

And yes, this means you will have an open box of cake mix, just like you did with the cake batter bark. This is okay. You will manage. Sure, you may find yourself mixing cake mix with odd ingredients, but so what? Mother Lovett always had an open box of cake mix in her pantry. Given hers were usually about 4 years old… but still.
Just do it.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com
Cake Batter Pancakes

makes about 12 pancakes

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

2/3 cup yellow cake mix

1 tablespoon sugar

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

pinch of salt

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1-2 cups milk (I used vanilla almond milk)

assorted sprinkles

Combine flour, cake mix, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix. Add 1 cup of milk, egg and vanilla extract and stir until smooth. You want the batter to look like regular pancake batter; not too thin, not too thick. This will vary greatly on the brand of cake mix you use. Start with 1 cup of milk and add more if needed. I suggest a small taste test as well to see if the pancakes are flavored enough.

Preheat a skillet on medium heat (I use an electric grilled and turn it to 250 degrees). Fold desired amount of sprinkles into batter. Pour batter in 1/4 cup measurements onto skillet and let cook until bubbles form on top, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for 1 minute more. Serve with vanilla glaze.
Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar

1/2 tablespoon milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

assorted sprinkles

Mix milk, extract and powdered sugar until glaze forms. You may need to add a little more sugar or water/milk to reach desired consistency. Mix into glaze and drizzle on pancakes.
Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

Maybe the secret to choking down broccoli is throwing sprinkles on top?

Wishful thinking…

620 Responses to “Cake Batter Pancakes.”

Liz Monroe — February 2, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

Love this idea! Simple. sweet. perfect.

Tarrah Dame — February 3, 2011 @ 3:09 am

So I share this obsession with cake batter and these remind me of funfetti cupcakes which just happens to be my FAVORITE! These just look dangerous…

Green Dog Wine — February 8, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

You fell out of my reader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just found you again because Graduate Meghann linked here! Boo for losing you, but I’m glad I found you again! :)

Sandle — February 8, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

Though I may come to rue the day I found this place, this is absolutely perfect for DD birthday coming up. Although after making them, there may be no going back.

Christine — February 11, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

i made these this mornin for a second time but this go around i used chocolate cake mix, and to make it healthy i cut the milk with greek yogurt and added blueberries to my rainbow sprinkles and icing/syrup. they were to die for and certainly right up your alley. thank you thank you thank you for broadening my kitchen mind and my waistline! <3

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

Love that idea!

Kayla G. — February 12, 2011 @ 10:35 pm

These were AMAZINGLY tasty and so much fun to make! Thank you so much for sharing (not to mention, CREATING) them. :)

Mara — February 13, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

These are great! I modified them to have one cup of oats and one cup of wheat flour, instead of white flour. Now jam packed with fiber and the oats gave them a little crunch! Mmmm, thanks for sharing!

Gabrielle — February 14, 2011 @ 10:35 am

Like wouldn’t be the same without sprinkles! If I could, I would add sprinkles to every meal. I need to make these A.S.A.P :)

Britne @ Shabbott's Habits — February 15, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

O. M. G. I just found these! Did I mention that the Hubs and I looooove funfetti cake? Did I mention that these totally remind me of funfetti cake? Did I mention that we had a funfetti cake at our WEDDING!?!?!? I am totally making these this weekend for the Hubs. Genius.

anna — February 17, 2011 @ 1:13 am

these look amazing. perfect for after breakfast-for-dinner.

Jessica — February 22, 2011 @ 2:51 am

Very cute idea .I will try these out soon. I was thinking what if you made the glaze with a little maple syrup too?

fajas colombianas — February 22, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

I was thinking of replacing the glaze with honey or maple syrup to give it a more pancake like feel to it.

Marie — February 23, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

YUMMM…had these this morning and it totally brightened my day :) Best breakfast ever. Just found your blog and so happy I did! Thank you so much!

Mexican Products — February 23, 2011 @ 9:32 pm

I love this article. Yummyyyyy. Thanks

Katie {Katie Company} — February 23, 2011 @ 9:59 pm

I just found this via

and just squealed with happiness!These look DIVINE. I can’t wait to try them out!

I featured your blog and this recipe on my blog today in honor of my sister’s upcoming birthday!

• Jessica — February 24th, 2011 @ 12:15 am

Thanks so much!! :)

Jamie — February 24, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

My daughter turns 5 in a couple weeks and I know she would love to wake up to these. Thanks!

Scott — February 26, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

I was up early this morning on “Stumble” and found this recipe. My fiance’s daughter has her sweet 16 tonight. I wish her and her friend would wake up so I can make them these for breakfast. Am I the only man that likes to cook birthday cake for breakfast?

• Scott — February 27th, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

Had no yellow cake mix so I used Devils Food, added a 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract, and a handful of chocolate chips. They loved them.

Alanna — February 26, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

You are truely a woman after my own heart. Perfect for breakfast at a sleep over!!!

Caitlin Huertas — February 28, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

I absolutely LOVE your website! I’m huge into food photography– and I think your pictures are fabulous (along with the recipes of course!). Sprinkle & cake pancakes? What could be better! Rock on! =)

• Jessica — February 28th, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

Thank you so much!!!

Mom's Menu Planner — February 28, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

OMG! My daughter’s would just love these pancakes…two of their very favorite things. I’m going to have to try this! Thanks for sharing :)

Heather — February 28, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

Sound YUMMY! Will be sharing on my facebook fanpage, Pirates-n-Princesses. Come check it out!!!

Edward — March 1, 2011 @ 6:57 am

Pretty colors do not make up for a quick look at the list of ingredients on a bottle of sprinkles…

Kim — March 3, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

Okay – YUM. These sound delicious JUST from the title alone. Then you add sprinkles. And glaze. And the pictures….must make ASAP!

Hannah — March 8, 2011 @ 2:57 am

Now that my kitchen is stocked with cake mix, these were the first on the list. Mine turned out pretty good but I had to add a bit more milk like 1 1/2 cups. This may be obvious but they taste just like cake mix! Brilliant.

Theresa — March 8, 2011 @ 6:43 am

Wow, these look like the most amazing thing to have for breakfast. I can not wait to make them in the morning, although I am very tempted to go make them right now. It’s 10:30 and I should be going to bed. What a great blog. this is my first time visiting.

Nicole — March 9, 2011 @ 1:34 am

These are SO AMAZING!!!

Aubrie — March 9, 2011 @ 3:31 am

These are awesome! I upped the cake mix to flour ratio and added some almond extract and oil. I couldn’t get enough of them! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Dormet — March 11, 2011 @ 6:43 pm

Hey, we made these as a birthday breakfast for a friend in our dorm kitchen- such a hit! Beats dining hall pancakes any day….
    Thanks for the pancake innovation!

TravelinTina — March 18, 2011 @ 11:26 pm

Cake batter and sprinkles…my daughters favorite things AND her birthday is coming up! She will love me! Thanks!

Sara — March 19, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

These are great! We made them for a trial run the other night & almost died of sugar shock but we loved them. Today we are making them for a friend’s birthday cake with rainbow chip frosting between layers of the pancakes.

Robbie Rob — March 20, 2011 @ 2:24 am

These were SO good! My friends and I made them on a late night foray into the dorm kitchen. They were amazing, Blew my MIND. =]
    I’ll be making them for years! I hope to memorize the recipe!

Loved em! =]

slim dream — March 23, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

well that is pretty creative haha. Looks extremely yummy to eat but probably a lot of calories. Might make it for my kids ^.^

stonyshooto — March 23, 2011 @ 11:19 pm

whos the fatass who made this lmao

Liz — March 26, 2011 @ 2:59 am

My girlfriend is a total pancake-fiend. She says she’d rather have pancakes than cake on her birthday. I just know she’ll flip for these rainbow beauties. I can’t wait to see her face~! ><

I think I'll try mixing some food coloring with the glaze to make them extra colorful!

sarah — March 26, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

I halved the recipe because it’s just my boyfriend and myself and it worked wonderfully…. ALSO i only had skim milk in the house so i added some coolwhip to my glaze… needless to say it was AMAZING!!! Thanks :-)

LeelaBijou — March 29, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

Wow, I need to try this, it looks so yummy!

Robin Baron — April 5, 2011 @ 10:13 am

This is pure genius. Absolute genius. Thank you for sharing!

Ashlee Springer — April 5, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

I’m new to your blog and I am hopelessly addicted! While reading through every single one of your recipes, I’m yelling/thinking to myself when I see the pictures “shut up!! no way!”. I keep scrolling and see more pictures where you start pouring various frostings and syrups and glazes onto things that are already to good to be true and I yell/think (even louder this time) “SHUT UP!! Shut up right now! It’s too wonderful! I can’t believe she just went there…” This recipe is no exception. I’ve told my husband that I’m making these for him for being such a wonderful husband (which he is!), but they are also (and mostly) for me :D Thanks for the inspiration and keep pouring stuff on things…

raye — April 6, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

BEST. BREAKFAST. EVER!

Jessica — April 8, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

I also sent an email to Tegan clarifying, etc. I don’t mind at all if someone uses my quotes!

Tegan Leblanc — April 8, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

Thank you very much for your understanding. :) It’s very stressful having someone spend all their time stalking you and making fake accounts. If you ever need to get a told of me in the future just email me. I love your website and recipes. :D Take care. Tegan Leblanc

Sippin Syrup — April 9, 2011 @ 2:44 am

These look so good!

ghd — April 14, 2011 @ 3:56 am

My granddaughter LOVES fairy bread!! She’s addicted to sprinkles too!

amanda — April 28, 2011 @ 8:30 am

yum yum yum!! i will have to try

Caitlin — April 30, 2011 @ 1:11 am

These look absolutely delicious on screen. When I made them however they did not bake up properly and ended up being bland and slightly doughy even after 10minutes on the griddle. I wouldnt make them again.

Amanda — May 14, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

These look amazing, is there anyway we could use different types of cake mix?

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit — May 22, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

just made these :) have i mentioned lately that you are my hero? TRUTH.

שף בבית — May 24, 2011 @ 9:45 am

a very colorful desert. i love it !! :)

Erin R — June 7, 2011 @ 8:25 pm

I just made these tonight and they were great! We added a bit of cake mix to the glaze too – since you can never have enough cake batter flavor.
    Great recipe. They cooked perfectly and had a cake-iness that was reminiscent of the birthdays of childhood.