How Sweet It ISN'T.

Call me old fashioned.

My hubby and I didn’t live together before we got married. So when it came time for me to move in, he had to drag me kicking, screaming, and punching.

Why?

He was a bachelor. Had a MAJOR bachelor pad. I mean, this could rival most bachelor pads. And let’s not forget – he is a decade older than me, so his stuff was just…OLD.

But financially, it made sense to live there for a short time – we had plans to buy a house.

First up: boatloads of dye cast cars:

IMG_0703

Don’t think that’s alot? That is about 1/64th of the collection. Strewn about the small townhouse.

Some mini cars, lucky to still be living here:

IMG_0706

On the nice bookcase in the family room, sat these:

IMG_0700

We have alot of them.

I do like this guy:

IMG_0702

Sidney Crosby. What a hottie.

The downstairs wasn’t terrible. It was almost terrible. The whole place probably hadn’t been thoroughly cleaned since 1985.

No offense to my hubs. He was a bachelor, after all.

Let’s just say…How sweet it WASN’T.

Once you ventured up the spooky staircase and made your way into the bedroom, you were greeted by this guy:

IMG_0711

Yes, folks. That is a FRAMED (and autographed) picture of a WWF wrestler. OR WCW. Or whatever the heck it is. FRAMED.

IN A FRAME. With glass over it. HANGING ON THE WALL.

Who does this?

There were multiples. Including Chris Benoit, that nice wrestler that murdered his wife, dwarfed son, and then hung himself. Wouldn’t you want him, FRAMED, hanging on your wall?

Alas, I have allowed Mr. Hunt to hang some of his photos in his room:

IMG_0699

aka the garage.

I am fine with this. We all need our space.

However, there is one battle I did not win:

IMG_0704

He creeps the bejesus out of me.

There is no room for him in the garage. Not that I would move him there.

Do you know why?

Just look at how he stares at me.

IMG_0705

He would totally kill me in my sleep.

85 Responses to “How Sweet It ISN'T.”

Jennie — September 18, 2009 @ 11:42 am

Who has a stuffed turkey? Seriously? I grew up in the land of stuffed stuff (Alabama) but that turkey’s a first! And yeppers, he is creepy.

Can he be decorated with bed sheet? :)

nutmegnanny — September 18, 2009 @ 11:47 am

When I moved in with my boyfriend he had a big framed posted of Richard Nixon bowling hanging on his wall. Needless to say when we bought a nice new townhouse that lovely piece of “art” has stayed in the closet.

• Jessica — September 20th, 2009 @ 11:19 am

OH let me clarify – the turkey is not in OUR room. It is in another bedroom. I would never sleep if it stared me down every night.

And I agree with you, not living with my hub gave us something to look forward to! :)

dawn — September 18, 2009 @ 12:08 pm

omg, girl you are funny as shit!! I was laughing so hard at the wwc or wwf whatever thingee.
    yeah, get this, when I met my hubby he had sticks of pepperoni in his closet. WTF? I mean seriously.
    Men are weird.

Anne Marie@her new weigh — September 18, 2009 @ 12:09 pm

Thanks for the comment on my blog! That stuffed turkey would really freak me out!!

• JHunt — September 19th, 2009 @ 11:31 pm

Thank you! The turkey is majorly creepy!

Tara — September 18, 2009 @ 12:15 pm

Wow, you’re a much nicer wife than I am. My poor husband had to get rid of most of his “junk” and what he could keep is in the attic at his parents’ house. I’m so mean! :)

Thankfully he realizes I’m a bit OCD when it comes to clutter in the house. It was easier for him to store it with his parents than me giving it to Goodwill!

• Jessica — September 20th, 2009 @ 11:21 am

Hahahah this same thing happens to me. He still gets odd presents that make me internally roll my eyes and think ‘how can I get rid of this?’

Erin — September 18, 2009 @ 12:24 pm

Aw thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog!

I was dying laughing at this post. SO funny about that turkey! When my ex boyfriend and I lived together, I opened his eyes to the wonderful world of air drying your pants – instead of drying them into the dryer and shrinking them so he didn’t look like Alfalfa with his two inch too short pants.

Men. Seriously. What would they do without us?

And check your competition picture out!! Talk about inspiration!!

Brenda — September 18, 2009 @ 1:23 pm

This is funny!! When I moved into my hubby’s house he also had a dye cast car and slot car collection with thousands of cars…. everywhere… complete with a racetrack. He is finally starting to sell the cars on eBay! but he had a lot of other junk too…casino slot machines, ancient exercise equipment, car parts, etc. and his place needed a good cleaning too!! But I’ll tell ya I would have to get rid of that turkey it is really creepy!! Maybe you could sell it on eBay.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) — September 18, 2009 @ 1:27 pm

Haha! That turkey is scary ;-)

All the Nascar stuff reminds me of my dad, it is everywhere! My husband loves the wrestlers too and my friend Will has a cardboard cutout of Chris Jericho that his wife despises.

Thanks for the comment on my blog, I like yours too! Have a great day.

Maggie — September 18, 2009 @ 1:41 pm

Thanks for the comment on my blog! I look forward to reading more :)

My fiance (I live with him now)… I can’t imagine what his place would look like if we didn’t live together. We lived in dorms before we lived together so he never really had a chance to create a “man house” or anything :P I think I’m glad, haha.

balanceinbites — September 18, 2009 @ 1:58 pm

Bahahahaha, oh man. I’m cracking up! I actually just moved in with my boyfriend, and thankfully he doesn’t have any framed photos of WWF or WWE wrestlers…. heh. He HAS mentioned that he wants to have people over for a pay-per-view night of watching professional wrestling. Sigh. And to think that I told him I’d cook for them! Imma have to rethink that. =P

-Allison @ http://www.balanceinbites.com

Mellissa — September 18, 2009 @ 2:40 pm

I am laughing at my desk and people are looking at me funny. That is so my life… but my husband has weird art from around the world. I.E. painted ostrich eggs, weird masks that seriously creep me out!!

Oh and fake plastic columns that he thought were cool! I have been trying for 6 years to get him to get rid of these ugly things. We also didn’t officially live together till we got married, and all of my stuff still isn’t there but we are slowly getting there.

Amanda — September 18, 2009 @ 3:10 pm

I am HAPPY to call you old fashioned… way to go on not living together before marriage!!

Blessings-
    Amanda

Naomi — September 18, 2009 @ 5:47 pm

LOL that turkey has me cracking up for some reason! its cute ina creepy kinda way : )

DiningAndDishing — September 18, 2009 @ 6:14 pm

Thanks for checking out my blog! Some of the things your husband had in his house are too funny! Good thing he has you there to help clean it up!

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Mel — September 18, 2009 @ 6:33 pm

Somehow your hubby and my boyfriend are related in some alter-universe, since he has a lot of the same things (minus the turkey, which is totally creepy). I totally know how you feel…

Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) — September 18, 2009 @ 8:56 pm

That stuffed turkey is scary!

But the Sidney Crosby bobble head is kind of cool ;-)

Sharnia — September 18, 2009 @ 10:07 pm

OMG that is hilarious and some of those things ESPECIALLY that turkey is scary.
    Read your intro on BLOGher so thought I’d have a squiz – great stuff!
    For my love story… minus the creepy wrestling guys and turkeys:

love to see you on there

Jackie at PhamFatale.com — September 19, 2009 @ 7:01 am

lol Are you going to keep the turkey? Keep it at least until Thanksgiving!

I don’t think it’s being old-fashioned. My hubby and I didn’t live together until we got married as well. Well I was living in Paris but still I think we would have waited anyways… When I moved in, I got rid of everything! It looked very much a like your man’s toys, except my hubby was a big UFC fan lol

Sarah Jackson — September 19, 2009 @ 11:06 am

That turkey is amazing! If you ever write a script about a bachelor, you have MUCH inspiration to draw from. Although, it’s so perfect people may not believe it! ;-)

-Sarah

LBDDiaries — September 19, 2009 @ 3:17 pm

Go get one of those satin eye masks and cover those turkey eyes immediately. NO way could I sleep with those eyes glaring at me (smile). Apha Hubby & I didn’t live together and we didn’t *sleep* together until after marriage (2nd for both, not easy to do, ho). There was just something special about waiting! And think of the trade-off – weird stuff and tons of little metal cars versus amazing hubby and true love. Good trade-off, I’d say!

carolinebee — September 19, 2009 @ 7:59 pm

Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog! HAHA this post killed me :D then really scared me with that turkey :/ haha SO creepy! Love your blog!

Dorothy — September 19, 2009 @ 10:52 pm

Okay, I have had this great idea for several years now to bring a stuffed deer head or squirrell to a dirty santa gift swap! You should do that with the turkey!

I think we all go through a “cleaning out” phase when we get married–mine was comic books and various college paraphenalia. Oh, our husbands, how we love them! The bad thing is, some members of his family continue to give him college “stuff” for Christmas and birthday presents.

crookedcrochet — September 20, 2009 @ 8:16 am

Your blog is so funny, I love your writing style!

I hope he doesn’t insist on keeping the turkey in the bedroom!!

Wendy — September 21, 2009 @ 6:13 am

Man, that was hilarious! That turkey is totally freaky, I wouldn’t want him in my house either, although I wouldn’t have the guts to hold it to move it either! ha ha

Kara — September 21, 2009 @ 11:24 pm

Just ran across your blog trying to do anything but my homework. I can imagine your horror when moving in to your new house. If I ever in the future move in with my boyfriend (after marriage of course), I would be sleeping with Yoda and Darth Vader watching over me while I slept and Ken Griffey Jr. hovering over as I browse the web. Seriously, guys and their art!

Lindsey @ Sound Eats — October 15, 2009 @ 5:12 pm

Ahaha this is hilarious. Throw that turkey OUT! Holy freakiness.

I have to say – your home has way more testosterone than mine does. :) My husband and I didn’t live together until we got married either (proud to be old fashioned!) and I was very selective of both of our stuff of what we brought to our new home. I hate clutter and crap. :)

The Crazy Suburban Mom — October 16, 2009 @ 5:57 pm

whoa-that turkey? bad news…I agree hes giving you the evil eye. or the evil glass eye….or something. evil.

Auntie Ann — October 30, 2009 @ 2:12 pm

Jessica,
    Uh Oh ..Has Grandpa seen this blog?
    I want to lodge a complaint….those of us on the west coast have time constraints regarding the trivia contest..here are my answers anyway:
    1. Who is the Walsh family, I bet you made a typo and really mean the Welsh family…Toledo!
    2. I need clarification regarding the actors who played James Bond….exactly what sport/sports did they play with him?
    3. Who really watches that car stuff?

Katie — October 30, 2009 @ 8:44 pm

Haha, this is so funny because I had such a similar experience.

I also didn’t live with my husband before we got married, and when I had to move into his bachelor pad after the wedding- I was way grossed out. I cleaned (and later threw out) about 2 trillion LEGOS. Silly boys.

Alisa@Foodista — November 6, 2009 @ 11:27 am

OMG, you really crack me up! I wonder what happened to that turkey :)

DessertForTwo — August 16, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

This is absolutely hilarious! What would men do without us? Honestly!

Ashley — September 25, 2010 @ 8:18 am

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ARE NO WORDS.

Michelle — October 7, 2010 @ 8:39 am

We raise bronze turkeys every year for food. They are actually very interesting fowl to have around, too bad you never got to see this guy alive he wouldn’t creep you out so much. I would gladly take him off your hands but I’m sure the shipping charges would be ginormous. Try selling him on Ebay if Mr. Sweet agrees to get rid of him. Or see if you can donate him to a Fish & Wildlife office or museum. Then Mr. Sweet can go see him anytime he likes. Good luck!

• Jessica — October 7th, 2010 @ 8:41 am

Thanks for the tips! Hahaha – unfortunately, Mr. How Sweet will NEVER agree to getting rid of the turkey. Ever.

Rachel @ The Pescetarian and the Pig — November 4, 2012 @ 5:02 pm

Hahaha I know I’m super late to even read this post, but the stuffed turkey has me in stitches! You are far too nice for letting him keep that thing!

Deziree — January 14, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

I am reading this just now and laughing! Once I got married and moved in to my husband’s house (I am also old-fashioned:) I promptly removed a nasty voodoo head on a stick in the bedroom (I promise my hubs is more normal than he sounds), and then gradually removed all of his weird skeleton statues throughout the house… Luckily most of it is boxed away now
    or put into the spare bedroom. My ultimate goal is to have it all gone but I have to do it in a way that he thinks it’s HIS idea :)

JHunt — September 18, 2009 @ 11:50 am

I’m so glad I’m not the only one with these issues.

35.1.1
    JHunt — September 18, 2009 @ 11:50 am

Hahah MY HUSBAND has one. Would you like it?

JHunt — September 18, 2009 @ 12:10 pm

OMG LOL! Thank you and I just laughed out loud at this. Pepperoni sticks?? WTF!!? LOL!

JHunt — September 18, 2009 @ 12:10 pm

It seriously does. I hate walking by it in the dark.

35.1.1
    JHunt — September 18, 2009 @ 1:08 pm

I have to write about the junk I’ve made him get rid of. :)

JHunt — September 18, 2009 @ 2:01 pm

Oh dear. So funny you mention it, I believe this Saturday my hub is having people over to watch a fight.

• Jessica — September 20th, 2009 @ 11:20 am

Thanks! I didn’t even know I had a writing ‘style,’ LOL, but thank you for that compliment! :)

This turkey is NOT in our room. I couldn’t bear it.

JHunt — September 18, 2009 @ 2:48 pm

Ok, YOU sound like you really understand, LOL! All my stuff still isn’t in our house either! It sure is a process!

JHunt — September 18, 2009 @ 3:22 pm

Thank you. :) Most places I stick out like a sore thumb.

Secret Agent — September 23, 2009 @ 2:53 pm

Yes, definite kudos. :D I’m 19, haven’t met the right guy yet (well, okay, there is someone I have my eye on, but as far as I know, he doesn’t have a clue), and am commited to waiting. Besides the morality of it (for me), I kinda think it’ll be extra special. :)
    ~SecretAgent

JHunt — September 18, 2009 @ 5:55 pm

Oh Naomi….if you were here, you would see it isn’t cute. Maybe I can ship it to you?

JHunt — September 18, 2009 @ 9:46 pm

We have lots more bobbleheads where that came from! Even his bobblehead is cute!

35.1.1
    JHunt — September 18, 2009 @ 9:47 pm

I am so glad I’m not alone. :)

JHunt — September 18, 2009 @ 9:48 pm

Hahahah men DO need us! :)
    Thanks for your kind words!

JHunt — September 18, 2009 @ 9:48 pm

I hope my hub doesn’t read this, or else he may want a cardboard cut-out, too.

35.1.1
    JHunt — September 18, 2009 @ 9:49 pm

There are probably even more crazy things he has someone in a box. I will have to check!

flownovercountry — September 19, 2009 @ 4:32 am

Kudos here too.

Does your husband have a Michael Waltrip car? Just curious. ^^

JHunt — September 19, 2009 @ 7:55 am

Oh I am sure he does. HUGE fan of Nascar. Me…not so much.

Jessica — September 21, 2009 @ 4:33 pm

Oh, I am sure he does somewhere. I try not to look at them!

JHunt — September 19, 2009 @ 11:30 pm

Maybe I can secretly sell his cars on ebay and use the proceeds to buy shoes….

• Jessica — September 21st, 2009 @ 8:54 am

I would like to him a dumpster right about now.

35.1.1
    Jessica — September 22, 2009 @ 9:09 am

Hahahah if that ever happens, I feel your pain!

1. Pingback: FRA-GEE-LAY. « How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Treasures. « How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Grown-Up Chores I Hate. « How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Roasted Garlic Gorgonzola Smashed Potatoes. « How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Drooling. « How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Oooey Gooey Fudgey Brownies. « How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Hungry Angry Husband. « How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Trivia Friday #2. « How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Trivia Friday #3 | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: A New Beginning. | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: My Kind of Tree. | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: Salted Hot Chocolate. | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Orange-Coconut Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting. | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: The Best Turkey Burger. | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Whole Wheat BBQ Chicken Pizza | How Sweet It Is

16. Pingback: Bite Size Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches. | How Sweet It Is

17. Pingback: White Chocolate Cherry Granola. | How Sweet It Is

18. Pingback: Grilled Pineapple with Toasted Coconut and Lime. | How Sweet It Is

19. Pingback: Menu: It’s the 3rd Date! | How Sweet It Is