I began blogging for 2 reasons.

1. maternal grandmother.

2. paternal grandmother.

Let’s start with materal grandmother. Many moons ago, my dad lovingly nicknamed his mother-in-law ‘Mother Lovett.’

‘Lovett’ being her last name. And it certainly was her last name, since she was married to brothers.

Yes people, she was married twice – to BROTHERS. How cool is that?

How 1700’s of her.

Unfortunately, she passed away in late April of this year at the ripe, old age of 87. Her stories live on. And Lordy, let me tell you, THERE ARE STORIES.

We could write a sitcom.

That is an understatement. I wish you could understand.

I will get to the hilarious goods at some point in my blog, but for now I have to give you the excellent background on her so you don’t think I’m hellishly cruel.

She was a baker. A mighty fine one at that. She most likely is the reason I adore baking, and I won’t lie when saying that baking these days occasionally makes me tear up since it is something I used to share with her.

Well, actually when I say ‘share,’ I really mean I took orders from her for a few hours standing in her kitchen.

But that’s a different story.

She suffered 7 miscarriages, and was diagnosed with Menear’s disease in her 20’s, causing her to lose all hearing in one ear. She had macular degeneration, a serious eye disease which cause her to lose almost ALL of her sight. She lost her siblings.  She cared for her cancer-stricken mother in her own home, losing her only 4 months before she lost her first husband, the love of her life. He passed away before I was born, so I never knew my true grandfather.

Luckily for us, she remarried.

His brother. Her brother-in-law.

I know.

I can’t imagine marrying my brother-in-law. Partly because I don’t have one. But if I did, and if he looked like George Clooney, I guess I would.

This truly was a wonderful thing, this marriage of my grandmother and her brother-in-law. He and his wife (don’t worry, she had passed away as well) were never able to have children, which meant by marrying my grandmother, he inherited 2 daughters (or neices….yikes) and 5 grandchilden. Amazing man. Wonderful. Words can’t describe.

However, many times in my life I remember my grandmother telling me about her whirlwind love with her first husband, Gerald. I specifically remember one evening at the beach her eyes welling up with tears when speaking about him.

‘That love was the greatest love I had ever felt. If you ever find that, don’t ever lose it.’ She STILL missed him after more than 30 years. THAT is love.

Perhaps she is where I got my passion from?

The longer she is gone the more I realize what a strong woman she was. Of course, we all knew this as she infuriated us at the age of 86 trimming bushes, climbing ladders, and carrying 40lb pots up the driveway.

I don’t mean strong THAT way.

She lost 2 husbands, and still talked about love. She still wore high heels to church, even though we fought her on it. She still went to church on Sunday, even though she was legally blind, deaf, and hunched over from severe osteoporosis. She walked around with 4 blockages in 3 arteries for 20 years. Suffered a heart attack, multiple broken bones, and bounced back from injuries when the majority of us would believe it was time to give up.

I better be wearing heels at 87.

Yes we called her stubborn, but now I call her strong.

She was so stubborn strong, she basically refused to die. And we really never thought she would. I mean…REALLY. We were all there to watch her last breath. And she put up a damn good fight.

Again, an understatement.

(Which I find quite odd, since I am extremely dramatic.)

Everyone ALWAYS complimented her on her beauty. She had an excellent sense of style. I never saw the beauty until recently. Of course I loved her, but she was my GRANDMA.

Beauty wasn’t the first thing to come to mind. Seeing how many Reese’s cups I could shove in my mouth at one time without anyone noticing at her house was.

What do you think?

You will never believe what began her demise.

She had a heart attack while hand-mixing a cake.

She could always do everything better herself, anyways.

98 Responses to “Mother Lovett: Prologue.”

Aishah — January 20, 2014 @ 2:02 pm

Can I say it’s been over an hour since I read this and I have that feeling in my throat where I really want to cry and I realized it’s because of this post I read LOL must be that hormonal time of the month.

Kim — May 21, 2014 @ 3:16 pm

Awwwww….I just came across your blog on Pinterest today, first time I’ve seen it. And I’ve read a whole bunch of things on here, but I have to leave my very first comment here, on your lovely post about your grandmother, because I want to pay my respects. She sounds like a lovely, dynamic woman, you’ve described her in such a way that we can’t but help love her through you. Sorry for your loss, you did an excellent job honoring her memory. And she WAS a looker! What a sweetheart, and I’m glad she was able to find love twice!! Glad she was able to teach you what she knew of the world and cooking/baking, she obviously did a great job!!

xoxoxo,
    first time reader Kim

52.1
    Jessica — September 22, 2009 @ 9:09 am

Thanks! I have some truly hilarious stories about her.

52.1
    Jessica — September 22, 2009 @ 9:09 am

LOTS of lessons! You are right!

52.1
    Jessica — September 22, 2009 @ 9:09 am

Thanks Naomi! More to come. :)
    I am enjoying your blog, too!

52.1
    Jessica — September 22, 2009 @ 6:48 pm

That is confusing! I thought mine was confusing, but you win.

52.1.1
    Jessica — September 22, 2009 @ 6:48 pm

Ohmigosh you have to be so sweet – I do not have much patience and am not sure if I could work with them daily.

52.1
    Jessica — September 22, 2009 @ 6:52 pm

It IS white chocolate curls! My wedding cake was so yummy – chocolate cake with fudge filling, white chocolate icing and white chocolate curls. I tried to savor it, but in typical ‘bride’ fashion, I don’t remember much about the meal. :)

52.1
    Jessica — September 23, 2009 @ 1:40 pm

Thank you! She was a cutiepie!

1. Pingback: Mother Lovett: It’s My Party And I’ll Cry If I Want To. « How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Roasted Garlic and Gorgonzola Cream Sauce. « How Sweet It Is

19. Pingback: Coconut Cream Cupcakes. | How Sweet It Is

20. Pingback: BBQ Ranch Shredded Chicken Sliders. | How Sweet It Is

21. Pingback: So Thankful. | How Sweet It Is

22. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie. | How Sweet It Is

23. Pingback: Lightened-Up Four Cheese Mac and Cheese. | How Sweet It Is

24. Pingback: Sweet Corn and Avocado Salsa. | How Sweet It Is

25. Pingback: Lime Angel Food Cake with Pistachios and Lime Glaze | How Sweet It Is

26. Pingback: Mother Lovett’s Chocolate Chip Cookies. | How Sweet It Is