One day, my husband whined ‘can’t you make any healthy cookies?’ with a very pouty look on his face. So cute and so pouty that I had to try and come up with something.

I love peanut butter cookies, and he loves chocolate chip, so I combined them into one, made with whole wheat flour.

Now I DO use regular sugar, as I do not really believe in using such an enormous amount of a sugar substitute.

A cookie is a cookie is a cookie, and either way, we shouldn’t be consuming 10 of them at once, whether it be made with real or ‘fake’ sugar. Right?

I apparently never remember that, and also like to think ‘the more, the merrier’ applies to food.

Yum.

I start with 100% whole wheat flour, which does add a nice, nutty taste.

IMG_0800

This is our favorite peanut butter by far, and you must try it.
IMG_0801

It gives an additional ‘crunch’ to the cookies because it had flaxseeds in it.

Ahh, more texture.

IMG_0802

I rescued this 1/2 cup then proceeded to eat the entire jar with my fingers.

The more, the merrier!

Don’t ya’ll just love packed brown sugar lumps?

IMG_0803

This mixture is sugar, butter, and peanut butter.

IMG_0806

It just cries out, ‘eat me!’

I add some dark chocolate chippers.

IMG_0808

And scoop out tiny lumps with my hands.

IMG_0810

Yes, my hands are clean. Weirdo.

My husband loves these, while I prefer my cookies to be a bit more….chewy.

IMG_0811

I wouldn’t consider these dry, but I don’t think they can be classified as soft. What do we call them, then?

A confession: I’m still opening the oven door mid-bake. Still.

I have no patience. .

It’s just so exciting!

A plate o’ goodies.

IMG_0835

These will disappear in about 4.7 seconds.

Delectable.

IMG_0836

Is that a word? I thought it was, but when I typed it, it didn’t look correct. Someone please alert me if it isn’t. And please find a better word to describe these cookies. You can be my own personal thesaurus.

Let me know if you like. :)

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/4 cups 100% whole wheat flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 stick butter

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup natural peanut butter

1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat butter, peanut butter, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, mixing until combined.

Add in the dry ingredients and mix on lowest speed. Fold in chocolate chips.

Place spoonfuls of dough on cookie sheet at bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.

Let cool before eating. Or not.

26 Responses to “Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies”

Jillian — September 24, 2009 @ 7:04 pm

Delectable is definitely a word! And it fits. They look delish! :D

carascravings — September 24, 2009 @ 7:09 pm

Those cookies = Heaven!
    Can’t wait to try the recipe…

eatingmachine — September 24, 2009 @ 7:17 pm

i’ve wondered if cookies would turn out ok with whole wheat flour…. now i know!

• lisa — March 20th, 2014 @ 1:43 pm

I now make all my Baked Goods with ‘Bob’s Red Mill 100% stone ground whole wheat pastry flou’r, incl these types of cookies; and just love they way they turn out. I keep White Flour now only for dusting pans, thickening Gravy; and those types of things – however, I am sure I could swap out for this Wheat Flour as well, without too much difficulty – you CANNOT use regular ‘whole wheat flour,’ as it is too heavy – however, can combine a bit into Banana Bread, and other types of pastries that do well with a heavier texture -

whitney — September 24, 2009 @ 7:25 pm

these cookings look deeeelish!!! i agree about the sugar part though- real sugar is much better for you than fake! can’t wait to make these myself!

Kelly — September 24, 2009 @ 7:34 pm

“we shouldn’t be consuming 10 of them at once”…uhh should i tell everyone how you used to (and might still?) eat an entire package of oreos all by yourself?! haha

and what’s with the ya’ll? i know i know, you’re from irwin not pittsburgh, but for pete’s sake, it isn’t the south. haha.

your blog has made me extremely hungry

Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate — September 24, 2009 @ 9:34 pm

Ooh those look really good! The more the merrier definitely applies to cookies!

Amanda — September 24, 2009 @ 11:17 pm

These look amazing. I wanted to lick my screen but thought maybe I should restrain myself.

Seriously.

Blessings!
    Amanda

Tara — September 25, 2009 @ 9:32 am

I’ll have to try this. My PB cookies always come out dry for some reason, so maybe a new recipe will do the trick.

PS – I love that you add chocolate chips to everything. What’s better than that? :)

• lisa — March 20th, 2014 @ 1:49 pm

Definitely makes a difference ‘which peanut butter’ you use; and I ‘do not’ like ‘Natural’ peanut butter for these, way toooo dry – just use a regular store-bought (i suggest Crunchy) brand, I actually use a discount brand, and add 2 tablespoons of a light oil if it seems a bit too dry – you can use grape seed if you are really conscious, however, I just use canola – and as this recipe makes more that 40 good size cookies (I Double PButter, Eggs; and a few more chips, Also, increase flour to 2 cups, even), saves on baking more often. This is nearly Double the Recipe, except I only increase ‘Chips by 1/2 cup to 1 1/2, because we really like the peanuts in the ‘Crunchy’ peanut butter -

lowandbhold — September 25, 2009 @ 9:39 am

Yum those look great! And delectable is totally a word :)

Naomi — September 25, 2009 @ 9:58 am

NO WAY your fav PB is Naturally more?! this is by far my fav pb ever…when i first discovered it, I went through the jar at a scary fast speed :) oh well. it shealthy fats right?/

oh the cookies look fabulous!!

megan — September 25, 2009 @ 10:49 am

I love your first line – my husband is the opposite! He tends to ask “do you have to try to make everything more healthy?” hehe :) Cookies look great! And I definitely think delectable is a word

peanutbutterfingers — September 25, 2009 @ 12:01 pm

your recipes & cooking are always so flippin’ fantastic!!! lucky hubby you got there. :)

dishin — September 25, 2009 @ 3:01 pm

Oh that is so precious! I can totally relate. My grandmother passed away last December. I got the recipe for and made her homemade meatballs and sauce and it reminded me of my childhood. Weird how scents and tastes can do that.

You’ll cherish those recipes. My other grandmother has given me two binders full of her recipes so far – I’m loving it.

Abby (Abby's Vegan Eats) — September 25, 2009 @ 6:40 pm

I must say those cookies look absolute delish!! (I dont eat dairy but I can imagine they taste just as good!) How special that you were able to get some of your grandmothers recipes.
    I enjoy your blog! :)

Andrea H — September 28, 2009 @ 1:14 pm

Followed you here from Pioneer Woman. I LOVE Naturally More peanut butter, and these cookies sound amazing! I will try them ASAP!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — December 31, 2010 @ 6:28 pm

Peanut butter and chocolate — who could ask for more! ;)

Ashley — January 2, 2011 @ 5:18 am

These are soooo good!! And I feel slightly less guilty when eating a sickening amount of them….

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run — July 2, 2013 @ 7:09 pm

It’s amazing to look back at old posts like this one and see just how far you’ve come with your recipes and photography — you should be SO proud!!

18.1
    Jessica — September 24, 2009 @ 8:12 pm

Hahahahahah oh I could totally take down an entire pack of oreos right about now! And as I was channeling my inner Paula Dean, she forced me to use ‘ya’ll.’

18.1
    Jessica — September 25, 2009 @ 1:25 pm

Ohmigosh Naomi we LOVE Naturally More!!

18.1.1
    Jessica — September 25, 2009 @ 1:26 pm

Thanks, everyone. The whole wheat flour is not bad, but they do lack a certain moisture I like. Try them out and let me know what you all think!

1. Pingback: Shhh… | Stay Sunnyside Up