(I’m having some wordpress formatting issues (spacing between photos and lines) that no one has been able to figure out – I apologize if the formatting of this post is goofy!)

I think the title says it all, but could there be a more fabulous combination?

Well, assuming you like pears. And figs. And gorgonzola.

A lot of people are not fond of all 3 said foods.  Maybe I should stop while I’m ahead.

I LOVE pears, figs, and am more than passionate about gorgonzola.

You may be thinking ‘is there a food she does not like?’

Why, yes. Yes, there is.

It would be vegetables.

All vegetables. Except for corn. Which is, like, a fake vegetable.

This was one of the juiciest pears I have found in a long time.

I chopped it up, snuck multiple bites, pouted because I couldn’t just eat the entire thing, the threw it in a small dish with some sugar and cinnamon.

Crumbled gorgonzola.

I could eat this as my entree and dessert. Who am I kidding? I already do.

One of my most favorite foods on the planet.

Fresh, juicy figs.

I also enjoy dried figs. I don’t discriminate.

The incredible fig spread I bought last week at Whole Paycheck Foods.

The pear, figs, and gorgonzola went into a ramekin.

I only added the figs and gorgonzola once the pears were roasted, and allowed it to roast for 5 more minutes.

Truth be told, it really could be eaten like this. The juiciness of the roasted pears combined with the soft, pungent gorgonzola creates a world of flavor.

But as much as I love it alone, I love my pants tightening around my waist more, and added some flaky empty-calorie-filled puffed pastry.

I know you think I’m joking.

I’m not.

Just call me by my new nickname – ’puffy pastry’.

Serve it with fresh figs.

And crispy, flaky layers topped with fig spread.

Roasted Pear, Figs and Gorgonzola Puffed Pastry

1 large bartlett pear

3 fresh turkish figs

2 tablespoons gorgonzola

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon fig preserves

1 sheet Pillsbury puffed pastry.

Preheat oven to 400.

Thaw puffed pastry according to directions. Once thawed, place in oven and cook according to directions – about 15 minutes. Once cooled, slice pastry into squares.

Chop up pear and place in ramekin. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Roast at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Chop figs into quaters. Once you remove the roasted pear from the oven, cover with chopped figs and gorgonzola. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes.

Spread fig preserves on 1 side of 2 puffed pastry squares. On a third square, spread both sides with fig preserves. Assemble one square on plate, fig preserves-side up. Place spoonful of pear, fig and gorgonzola mixture in middle of square. Top with 2-spread-sided square. Place on another spoonful of pear mixture. Top with 3rd puffed pastry square, fig preserves-side down.

Serve with fresh figs.

I am slowly increasing pants sizes…

…one cup of gorgonzola…

…at a time.

Do you know any good personal trainers?

Oh wait. I am one.

The gravy stain on my shirt and popped-off buttons caused me to forget.

I am staging a gorgonzola-free intervention. With myself.

And my pants.

(Become a How Sweet fan on Facebook!)

49 Responses to “Carmelized Pear, Figs, and Gorgonzola.”

VeggieGirl — October 28, 2009 @ 7:34 am

HEAVENLY flavor combination!

The Candid RD — October 28, 2009 @ 8:34 am

I know a lot of good personal trainers, in my area though :) No help here. This dessert looks amazing. And, I agree with you, Whole Foods SHOULD be called Whole PAycheck!

brandi — October 28, 2009 @ 8:47 am

I have never ever had fresh figs. But I want to, and this looks awesome.

healthy ashley — October 28, 2009 @ 8:59 am

What a great combination! Sounds yummy :-)

Morgan — October 28, 2009 @ 9:08 am

That looks delicious! love gorgonzola!

Mellissa — October 28, 2009 @ 9:12 am

Do you use Live Writer? If you have a PC it is the best thing ever!

megan — October 28, 2009 @ 9:30 am

I’ve never had figs either! Or gorgonzola cheese. but I do love puff pastry :) I like the way you cook.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef — October 28, 2009 @ 9:40 am

Oh man, that is totally worth the extra hour (or five) of squats, lunges and planks…. or the loosening of the belt :D

cookinfanatic — October 28, 2009 @ 9:51 am

That looks so yummy!! I love the “Whole Paycheck” joke, so true but I can’t resist that place either :/ !!

bluestocking — October 28, 2009 @ 10:09 am

Thanks for posting this, Jessica! How I wish I could find some fresh figs here. Somehow the season passed us by, it seems. :(

peanutbutterfingers — October 28, 2009 @ 10:10 am

i’ve never tried figs either… i gotta get on that!

• Jessica — October 28th, 2009 @ 8:49 am

Oh, girl! You are deprived. Get some figs today.

Abby — October 28, 2009 @ 10:14 am

Delicious combo!! Looks really nice, Jessica!

I love your writing style.. its fun to read! PS.. I have issues with spacing etc sometimes before and after I upload pics.. its weird? Must be wordpress? (I like to think its NOT me) lol

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — October 28, 2009 @ 10:18 am

Hi Jessica your fig creation looks awesome! The fig spread from W. Paycheck looks really delish!

Formatting…just read your other comments…Windows Live Writer doesnt work with MACs. I went thru a massive internet search for all the blogging software programs out that and Ecto and Qumana? were two that kept coming up for MAC users. I tried both of them and one ate my posts (twice!) the other required a sep uploading step to Flickr. So I just blog from blogger’s site. Not perfect but I own my own domain, am on blogger, and am a MAC user. Not exactly the way most ppl do it!

As for my donut hole recipe, glad you liked it! I create all my own recipes from my head unless otherwise noted. I just dreamt up the pumpkin donut holes & wrote down what I did for the recipe while trying to use up the other half of an already cracked can of pumpkin :)

Shal — October 28, 2009 @ 10:21 am

Yum! I love all those ingredients too… Figs go so nicely with fresh goat’s cheese and drizzled with honey too. Fab combo!

• Jessica — October 28th, 2009 @ 9:27 am

I actually have a Mac, and do not use Live Writer. Can I use it without having a self hosted site?

That Kind of Girl — October 28, 2009 @ 10:24 am

A brief musing on this Recipe Of Note: never before has my heart literally — literally! — quickened simply from reading the name of a recipe. And then those pictures. Oh those pictures.

It’s really almost too much to bear.

I was going to go to class and then work on a writing project tonight. Somehow now I have the feeling that I will do neither of those things. Instead: gorgonzola.

Also, in re: formatting, fwiw, this is the first time one of your posts has shown up correctly (or at least pleasantly) in my google RSS reader: usually there are like twelve to fifteen lines of whitespace between every picture and line in the post. (And yet I still read your blog anyway. Such is my dedication to vicariously experiencing your relationship with gorgonzola.)

Kristi — October 28, 2009 @ 10:24 am

Sounds like heaven in a ramekin to me! I’m gonna have to give this a shot soon.

Katie — October 28, 2009 @ 10:30 am

Oh my goodness, there is NOTHING better than pears and cheese together…I just need to add the figs now!

Meg @ Be fit Be Full — October 28, 2009 @ 11:06 am

Ha! I laughed out loud several times during this post :) I should really stop reading food blogs right before lunch as they always leave me drooling!!

The Foodie Diaries — October 28, 2009 @ 11:47 am

I’m actually not big on raw pears; I only like them caramelized… haha way to turn some healthy unhealthy but whatevs…

This sounds delicious!

MelissaNibbles — October 28, 2009 @ 12:12 pm

Pears and cheese…oh my! I could never give up gorgonzola. Pant sizes be damned!

Rylan — October 28, 2009 @ 12:42 pm

This is definitely a must try. I’d love to take a bite from the computer! LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing.

Judy — October 28, 2009 @ 1:12 pm

Wow, this looks different than anything I’ve EVER eaten, but boy does it look good!

JUdy (who’s never had gorgonzola)

• Jessica — October 28th, 2009 @ 10:21 am

Thanks for those tips, Averie! I don’t mind blogging from WordPress but this formatting issue is driving me crazy, especially since I have not done anything different.

I also love your cooking style – I make things up in my head as well – sometimes they turn out great, othertimes..not so much. The only downside? I rarely measure anything!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — October 28, 2009 @ 1:33 pm

OMG i love figs and cheese together, this recipe is a keeper for sure!

thanks for responding abotu my reader issues…my posts are not updating!! I will try to change the website, but I believe i did! thanks for the tip, though :)

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — October 28, 2009 @ 1:39 pm

LOL. I love the Whole Paycheck thing. I wish I had one closer to where I live. I have to drive over an hour to get there, so each visit is special, and I make sure to enjoy walking around and seeing everything.

I’m sad to say, I too am a fresh fig virgin. I guess I will have to see about getting some next time I’m out at Whole Foods.

I totally agree on the pear and cheese combo. This recipe sounds awesome!

Gelareh — October 28, 2009 @ 1:45 pm

Oh yum… that sounds like a wonderful combo… will definately give it a try

Cajun Chef Ryan — October 28, 2009 @ 2:50 pm

Oh yes, this does look sooo good! Thanks for sharing!

dishin — October 28, 2009 @ 3:20 pm

Maybe I need to try figs again. I had them on pizza recently and couldn’t eat more than one or two. It’s a flavor thing for me. I DO love gorgonzola though!

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) — October 28, 2009 @ 4:20 pm

Sounds yummy! Except I haven’t tried figs before, and I don’t think I’ve ever had gorgonzola? Yeah, I need to get on that!

Julie @savvyeats — October 28, 2009 @ 4:50 pm

I really need to try figs…

lowandbhold — October 28, 2009 @ 5:08 pm

This looks good! I’ve never had a fig, but I think I’d love ’em. And I don’t like gorgonzola, but could prob sub goat cheese?

The Unnatural Mother — October 28, 2009 @ 5:33 pm

Oh Lordy Lord, this looks divine!!!! and how can anyone not have fresh figs… must be Irish.. Kidding!!!!! I’m an I-tie and we live on figs – any kind…

Love the bloggity blog, loyal reader already and this is my first time here!!

Diana — October 28, 2009 @ 6:15 pm

That looks AMAZING. I love figs so much. :)

• Jessica — October 28th, 2009 @ 1:40 pm

Seth – mine is also about 40-45 minutes away. It is special when I go, too. :)

Andrea@WellnessNotes — October 28, 2009 @ 6:16 pm

I love pears. I love figs. I love gorgonzola. (And I just realized that I haven’t had any gorgonzola in far too long). This dish is absolutely amazing!!!

Erica — October 28, 2009 @ 8:01 pm

I’ve never had a fig- can you believe it? They look so good too- I just need to buy some!

Jicama is awesome. You can add it raw to salads and it adds a great crunch

Irene — October 28, 2009 @ 10:36 pm

Ooooh! This looks fabulous! I love the combination of flavors, just wonderful.

Amy B.- Portland, OR — October 28, 2009 @ 10:47 pm

Jessica, this looks amazing. Yes to a second helping, no to bigger pant sizes…..run and refuel. On this! Thank you, Amy

• Jessica — October 28th, 2009 @ 3:21 pm

On pizza? Ok, that is ONE way I have no tried figs. If you are not sure, try the dried figs. I love them in salads or alone.

burpexcuzme — October 29, 2009 @ 12:54 am

Holy cow. You’ve discovered the BEST freaking combo ever. Mouth orgasm!!!

dailygoods — October 29, 2009 @ 8:48 am

i’ve never tried a fig! AH! i want to buy some!

Emily Marie — October 29, 2009 @ 4:10 pm

Wow, this looks so good. And I’ve never even tried a fig before. I LOVE gorgonzola. Thanks for adding me as a friend on tasty kitchen! :)

Sheri — November 9, 2009 @ 7:07 am

THAT looks wonderful. Really, I’m jealous just looking at it.

Jessica — October 28, 2009 @ 4:55 pm

Julie @savvyeats — October 28, 2009 @ 5:42 pm

How should I try them first?

1. Pingback: Roasted Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Brown Butter Sauce and Parmesan. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Bacon Gorgonzola Stuffed Baby Red Potatoes. | How Sweet It Is