Here in Pittsburgh the mornings and evenings are chilly, yet the temperature during the day is reaching about 65.

Still perfect chili weather, in my opinion.

Sometimes I make chili with ground turkey, and sometimes I use beef. I’ve also mixed turkey, chicken AND beef. That is delish.

I wanted to partake in the chili-eating, and was craving some good ole’ ground beef.

I wear the pants in this house.

(I’m shakin’ in my boots as I type those words.)

I used about 3lbs of organic 92/8 ground beef.

IMG_1619

Chopped up some veggies.

IMG_1620

And found nice, huge chunks of mold inside the red pepper we had just got at the store.

IMG_1622

Don’t you hate when that happens??

I rescued the no-mold sections.

IMG_1623

Which is actually surpising, since I served my husband tacos with tortillas that expired on August 25th last week. I checked them out again this weekend and they were covered in spots of black and green mold.

I guess he was so hungry, he overlooked that.

Chopped up a few cloves of garlic, which I think is oh, so fun.

IMG_1624

IMG_1625

IMG_1626

It all went into a giant pot with some olive oil. I took a picture, but just accidentally deleted it. I am lazy.

I seasoned the beef with sea salt and pepper.

IMG_1630

And threw it into the pot.

IMG_1631

IMG_1634

We do like our chili chunky (like my other soups), so I broke up the beef and tried to leave some larger chunks.

The chili sauce base.

IMG_1635

Tomato puree, diced tomatoes, and fire-roasted tomatoes. Yum.

I don’t use any seasoning packets – I prefer to do it myself.

IMG_1637

Crushed red pepper, cocoa chili powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, and cumin.

While I love doing the seasoning my way, I always end up doing different things each time. I guess that is the beauty of it.

At about noon, I decided it was time for this.

IMG_1639

For the chili, of couse.

Ok, maybe not.

IMG_1641

But I did add some to the chili. It was thirsty.

IMG_1647

I used a LARGE can of kidney beans. I’m talking, HUGE. They went in after the base sauce.

IMG_1648

IMG_1649

IMG_1651

My first round of seasonings added.

IMG_1653

IMG_1656

I’m noticing my pictures are a bit blurry. I think my camera is on it’s last leg. I am devastated. I love my camera. I don’t want to have to buy a new one.

I’d rather buy 5 inch pumps.

Because I don’t have any. I swear.

I let my chili simmer for about 6-8 hours.

IMG_1657

Of course, there were many tastings withing those 6-8 hours.

Including a few bowls for my husband.

IMG_1694

IMG_1693

Topped with smoked cheddar. My all-time favorite cheese. Along with gouda, asiago, gruyere…

Does it get any better?

1 small can of tomato paste

1/4 cup chili powder

4 tablespoons cumin

1 tablespoon cocoa chili powder

1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon smoked paprika

Heat a large pot on medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the chopped onion, peppers and garlic. Saute until vegetables are soft.

Season ground beef with salt and pepper. Add to pot and break apart with a wooden spoon. Let brown. Add one cup of red wine and continue to saute and stir for about 3 minutes.

Add tomato puree, diced tomatos, fire-roasted tomatoes and kidney beans. Stir and add tomato paste.

Add chili powder, cocoa chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and smoked paprika. Stir and let simmer for 30 minutes. Taste and add more seasoning if needed.

Simmer for 2-8 hours.

IMG_1696

63 Responses to “Chunky Fire-Roasted Chili.”

savorysimple — October 26, 2009 @ 9:58 am

Nice pics!

mcaules24 — October 26, 2009 @ 10:09 am

mmm chili is the best when those cold months start to take over. Nice work! Looks delicious

megan — October 26, 2009 @ 10:23 am

you’re right – it’s definitely perfect chili weather. I just made hamburger soup last weekend (similar to chili), and tonight is another soup night! The one redeeming factor to the cold weather…well, that, and sweaters. and hot chocolate, and going shopping for new winter clothes…

eatingmachine — October 26, 2009 @ 10:27 am

ha, i made chili last night too!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — October 26, 2009 @ 10:55 am

Great chili and I could totally veganize it. Love your camera vs. pumps comment!

And the mold in the red pepp. Girl, my grocery store must have gotten a deal on peppers b/c we found some reallllllllly interesting things in our peppers last week. I am still skeeved, we’ll leave it as mold would have been “nice”. Sorry.

Thx for your bloggie comments & love :)
    xoox

Abby — October 26, 2009 @ 10:55 am

Nothing beats chili on a cold day!! Ya for Muir Glen.. they have the best tomatoes in my opinion!! :)

Mellissa — October 26, 2009 @ 11:08 am

That looks very tasty!

Gelareh — October 26, 2009 @ 11:10 am

Yum! That sounds really good.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 26, 2009 @ 11:24 am

I love chili in the fall!!!

Barbara — October 26, 2009 @ 11:46 am

We’re not quite ready for chili in Florida but this is a great recipe and I’m saving it for January!

Marissa — October 26, 2009 @ 11:51 am

Chili is so perfect now that the weather has cooled off!

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — October 26, 2009 @ 12:21 pm

Hmmm, I haven’t ever seen cocoa chili powder. I do like to put bakers chocolate in my chili though. I just use one square for a big pot, but I love the hearty flavor it adds. I may have to check out the kind already incorporated into the chili powder. Thanks.

BTW, apparently chili must be on everyone’s mind right now with the season change. I was just thinking this morning about making a pot of chili.

Jessica (A Fete for Food) — October 26, 2009 @ 2:37 pm

Yum! I just found your blog and really like your writing style. Nice!

I like that you add cocoa chili powder. I hear this is the secret to every really good chili. Do you just get it at the supermarket?

The Candid RD — October 26, 2009 @ 2:55 pm

Looks DELICIOUS!! I love all that garlic! I’m a huge garlic fan, the more the better.

Sweet Cheeks — October 26, 2009 @ 3:17 pm

Chili is one of my FAV dinners during the fall and winter! It’s just so comforting. Yours looks great!

Nicole (dishin') — October 26, 2009 @ 3:21 pm

Yum! Looks delicious and very chunky – just the way I like it!

Diana — October 26, 2009 @ 3:30 pm

Hmmm chili :D

Maddy @ Notes On A Page — October 26, 2009 @ 3:54 pm

I totally found mold in my peppers when I made chili a couple weeks ago! So gross…. I’d never had that happen before! It didn’t stop me from eating like 12 bowls of mold-free chili, however…

• Jessica — October 26th, 2009 @ 12:47 pm

I use Baker’s squares alot and that idea sounds fab! The cocoa chili powder is also pretty great.

peanutbutterfingers — October 26, 2009 @ 3:56 pm

wow that looks good. you know what’s tragic? i don’t think i’ve ever tried smoked cheddar cheese. oh the horror!

lowandbhold — October 26, 2009 @ 4:18 pm

Looks good. I think I need to make some chili this week! Haha, I was hoping for a response from the husband about the pants comment!

• Jessica — October 26th, 2009 @ 2:38 pm

Yep! I found mine at our grocery store in the spice aisle.

Meg @ Be fit Be Full — October 26, 2009 @ 4:27 pm

Ok – your chillie looks Oh-so-good and I want some right now! My stomach is growling..

Andrea@WellnessNotes — October 26, 2009 @ 4:57 pm

I love chili. Yours sounds and looks great!

I hate finding mold. The other day I bought expensive sprouted tortillas that weren’t expiring for several days and they had mold all over them. I was so mad (but too lazy to take them back to the store).

Have a great week!

carascravings — October 26, 2009 @ 6:57 pm

Chili is one of my all-time fav. foods…Love it!
    So much good stuff in one bowl!

Bianca — October 26, 2009 @ 7:08 pm

Nice pics! Chili is definitely the perfect fall dish! So comforting!

One Healthy Apple — October 26, 2009 @ 7:16 pm

Beautiful chili and photography! I see no blur in those pictures! I have to practically wrestle the old foods away from my husband or else he’ll try to rescue them in some way or another.

Heather — October 26, 2009 @ 7:46 pm

mmmmmmmm. chili is so delicious! this looks yummy!

Erica — October 26, 2009 @ 8:33 pm

Fantastic! Chili is always so satisfying. I’m with you on the 5″ heels…..its tough being a tiny lady ;) I love some heat and this recipe sounds perfect. Maybe I can do a veggie version for me and meaty for the man. Thanks for the vaca suggestion ;)

Tou Tou — October 26, 2009 @ 9:51 pm

Sooooo many seasonings ! such a sophisticated chef ! :)

Peanutbuttertoes — October 26, 2009 @ 11:13 pm

How do you feel about child labor? i.e. the balloon boy

burpexcuzme — October 27, 2009 @ 1:31 am

That must be one of the most appealing names ever. Chunky. Fire. Roasted. CHILI!
    And with red wine! Luxurious!

Amanda — October 27, 2009 @ 9:44 am

Your chili looks delish!!! I just might have to try it next time…

Blessings!
    Amanda

brandi — October 27, 2009 @ 10:05 am

I love chili, too, especially with red onion on top! So good.

and smoked cheddar is awesome – you should try mixing it in mashed potatoes! Yum

Chocolate-Covered Katie — October 27, 2009 @ 10:10 am

Hello Princess Jessica ;)

runningaroundnormal — October 27, 2009 @ 11:03 am

This chili looks and sounds amazing!!! I need to try this out – it sounds like a dish my husband would absolutely love:D

MelissaNibbles — October 27, 2009 @ 12:09 pm

That looks great. I showed this post to my boyfriend and he asked if you lived near us and could come over to cook. He’s sad you don’t live in Boston hahaha!

blueberrymuffins — October 27, 2009 @ 1:11 pm

Looks geat! I hate how food randomly goes bad, its soo annoying!

Kristen — October 27, 2009 @ 2:42 pm

This chili recipe looks so good! I’ll definitely have to try it sometime. Oh, just out of curiousity, do you have a good potato soup recipe? I’ve been searching for one because I have to make it for an office party this Friday. Will you email me if you know of one? Thanks!

kstabler@cbizmmp.com

Jenn — October 27, 2009 @ 3:08 pm

hey there, just gave you a Kreativ Blogger award. Check it out on my blog!

julia — October 27, 2009 @ 3:19 pm

I never make chili, but really wanna try it. I’m gonna use this recipe, because this looks delicious! Thanks:)

x Julia (Taste of Living)

Cari — October 27, 2009 @ 4:31 pm

Great blog! I just found it.

I love, love Chili! I will try this recipe next time I make it.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — October 27, 2009 @ 6:34 pm

yummm!!! this looks so great, jess! chili is the best, most comforting meal to have this time of year, and on a cold, dreay day there is absolutely nothing better!

hahaa somedays I think to myself I want a new camera but then I say the same thing in my head about the pumps (or boots!)

Peanut Butter Bliss — October 27, 2009 @ 6:59 pm

the spicer the chili the better :) sounds great!

• Jessica — October 27th, 2009 @ 10:07 am

I love it in mashed potatoes! I have smashed it in – along with bacon…to die for!

Holly (The Healthy Everythingtarian) — October 27, 2009 @ 10:56 pm

ummm cocoa chili powder? i need to find that…it sounds amazing!!! what does it taste like?

fabulous chili recipe my dear!

• Jessica — October 27th, 2009 @ 11:26 am

Hahaha hello, my dear. This made me laugh. Please post more hot pink and sparkles on your blog. Thank you.

TinaFromTexas — October 27, 2009 @ 11:04 pm

Where did you go? I got used to you posting everyday! Miss ya! Come back!

groovyflor — October 28, 2009 @ 11:18 am

I don’t use spice packets either. I’m a control freak when it comes to my food and want to know that it is JUST the way that I like it. I would definitely make this (though I would substitute soy crumbles for me). Looks tasty and will definitely be looking for cocoa chili powder on my next shopping trip!

Jeff — October 28, 2009 @ 1:04 pm

I love chili season. Doing a massive pot of it this weekend for Halloween too.

It is never to early to start drinking either ;-)

WhiteStone — October 28, 2009 @ 3:48 pm

I’m planning to make chili today AND I just purchased some fire-roasted tomatoes ON SALE Yayyy!. So will be trying your recipe! Thanks!

auntbear — October 28, 2009 @ 4:19 pm

…yeah ’bout 90 here again in Tampa. Chili on my agenda soon as we get some cool weather.

Katie — January 22, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

Mirassou Pinot Noir is my absolute favorite! Pinot Noir in general! Great meal! :)

Eunice — May 4, 2010 @ 8:21 am

Yea I’m late on this post, but that chili looks amazing. I am guilty of using the ready-made chili seasoning, but I think I’m going to try my own spices next time! I’ve never heard of cocoa chili powder! Thanks for the ideas :)

1. Pingback: Holiday Appetizers 101: Chili Dip. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Chili Cheese Sweet Potato Fries. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Easy 5 Step Chili | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #22 – Chunky Fire Roasted Chili « Ella Rose Entertaining

5. Pingback: Hearty Chili Recipe | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Big Pot of Comfort :: Spicy Cajun Chili with a Kick! - The Artful Gourmet | The Artful Gourmet