I said weenie.

(follow me as I tweet my life away and say other inappropriate things.)

Thank you all so much for additional recipe suggestions on my honeycrisp apple crisp! Check out the comment section for some yummy and healthier substitutions. You guys are the best!

I have never been a fan of scones from most bakeries or coffee shops. 95% of the scones I’ve bought are usually dry and crumbly, and although I realize that is sometimes how scones are supposed to be, I really do not like that texture.

After getting a pumpkin scone from Starbucks on Saturday that tasted like it had been sitting out for 4 days, I knew I had to come up with something.

I used the base of this scone recipe from a friend’s sister. It is SO good. The addition of the pumpkin even made it more moist. Perfect for my taste buds.

Dry ingredients.

IMG_1454

Don’t be grossed out. That is some buttermilk with a splash of vanilla.

IMG_1456

The buttermilk expired on 9/15. I think it had some chunks in it. I used it, ate a scone (or 7), and didn’t get sick or die. I was channeling Mother Lovett. Now you can be grossed out.

I wonder how many of my posts do not include butter?

IMG_1457

At first I was using my mixer and it just wasn’t getting the job done. I brought out this trusty tool and it worked perfectly.

IMG_1458

IMG_1459

Crumbled little bits of butter.

A good dollop of pumpkin goes into the mix.

IMG_1460

The dough – which was SO good. I kept eating bits. And spoonfuls.

IMG_1461

And handfuls.

I got these festive Kisses to chop up and use as ‘chips’ in the scones.

IMG_1462

IMG_1463

IMG_1464

Aren’t they pretty?

The truth is, I was desprately trying to find the pumpkin spice Kisses that everyone is using and talking about. I searched far and wide and could not find them ANYWHERE. I am wondering if they do not have them in Pittsburgh? Any Pittsburgher’s out there? Please let me know. I went to 5 Target’s and 4 Giant Eagle’s. No luck.

So I threw a tantrum on the floor of the 5th Target. Then picked up the candy corn Kisses and went on my merry way.

The dough that somehow escaped my mouth.

IMG_1465

Formed into a circled after some gentle kneading, patted down, and cut into slices.

IMG_1466

Topped with this! Is there anything better than coarse sugar?

IMG_1467

I’d like to eat it straight from the bag.

Like a slice of raw scone pie.

IMG_1468

Nevermind – that doesn’t sound very appealing.

Right before they went in the oven I brushed with some melted butter.

IMG_1469

IMG_1471

And sprinkled with sugar.

IMG_1473

Hello, lovaaaaaaah.

IMG_1474

IMG_1475

May I top you with some pecan pumpkin butter? Thank you.

IMG_1477

How many of you used to rip off and only eat the tops of muffins that were coated in coarse sugar?

IMG_1479

Anyone? Just me?

Ha! Who am I kidding? I still do, and did it with 4 of these scones. Just LOOK at that top. Mmmm.

How about we coat you in festive chocolate?

IMG_1481

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

3/4 cups cold butter

1 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup pureed pumpkin

Preheat oven to 425.

In large bowl combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk, vanilla, and and pumpkin. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.

Divide in half and pat into 7 inch round circles. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut into 6 wedges.

Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes.

I’m going to eat my scones in a pumpkin butter bath.

IMG_1483

IMG_1486

IMG_1487

Can someone PLEASE make these with pumpkin spice Kisses? If not, I’m going to go insane with the possibilities.

And finish off the scones. Which might make my husband stay out of town for good.

34 Responses to “Halloweenie Pumpkin Scones.”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 21, 2009 @ 10:16 am

OMG!! I’m bookmarking this recipe!! I heart scones sooo much… and with the pumpkin combo I can’t wait to bake them :)

I’ve never seen the candy corn kisses? I’m off to Target :)

Have a great day :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie — October 21, 2009 @ 10:32 am

Those are beautiful!!!

Paige (Running Around Normal) — October 21, 2009 @ 10:42 am

I looove scones! Those look absolutely fabulous! I love the addition of candy corn. I’m drooling right now btw- haha!

eatingmachine — October 21, 2009 @ 10:48 am

those are pretty.
    why do you post delicious sugary things when i’m trying to make breakfast? it makes the chocolate bar in my purse seem like it would like to be my first meal of the day….
    it’s too bad sugar doesn’t want to be my bestie (what up blood sugar issues!) or i really would be eating the chocolate right now.

peanutbutterfingers — October 21, 2009 @ 10:53 am

you are so creative. i’ve never even seen those kisses before! how awesome. i’d totally buy those scones if i ever saw them at the grocery store/ starbucks. so festive and pretty. i LOVE your recipes girl!

Jennie — October 21, 2009 @ 11:05 am

Dang. That looks yummy. And I l.o.v.e. those kisses. My hips are gonna hate me ….

Abby — October 21, 2009 @ 11:28 am

These look really really pretty! So festive.. I would have to tweak them a bit to make em dairy free BUT im very tempted to do so. YUM :)

One Healthy Apple — October 21, 2009 @ 11:41 am

Wow! You are such a talented baker. I’ll be on the lookout for the kisses you mentioned, but I won’t be making these scones unless I develope some serious talent overnight.

VeggieGirl — October 21, 2009 @ 11:49 am

Oh. holy. FREAKING. yum.

savoringsarah — October 21, 2009 @ 12:05 pm

Can baked goods be gorgeous? Because these look fab. Magazine cover story photo shoot material right there. I wish I was a better baker! On a scale of 1-10, where do you think these are at?

FYI My skills at baking are at about -3. The only thing I’m good at is prepackaged-premixed things. And even those usually end up burnt. EEk

Evan Thomas — October 21, 2009 @ 12:16 pm

These would be a show-stopper at any Halloween party for sure

Nicole (dishin') — October 21, 2009 @ 12:28 pm

So pretty and festive. Yum! Great work!

Lindsay — October 21, 2009 @ 12:29 pm

Those look so good! I’m not usually a fan of super dry scones so these sound perfect for me!

Rebecca — October 21, 2009 @ 1:08 pm

oh wow so creative and festive thanks so much for visiting my blog Rebecca

DiningAndDishing — October 21, 2009 @ 1:29 pm

those scones look fantastic!! i love scones and these make a perfect fall-inspired variation :O)

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Julie @savvyeats — October 21, 2009 @ 1:41 pm

Oh. My. God. I need to make these. ASAP. I will let you know if I find pumpkin kisses.

Seriously, drooling over these scones.

Nicci@NiftyEats — October 21, 2009 @ 1:49 pm

I must confess I’ve never had a scone and should try one soon.

Julie @savvyeats — October 21, 2009 @ 1:51 pm

Also, how did you make such melty orange chocolate for the top?

lowandbhold — October 21, 2009 @ 3:05 pm

Those look so great!

The Foodie Diaries — October 21, 2009 @ 3:05 pm

Ahh looks so good!! Those kisses look like big candy corns–I need to get em!

Diana — October 21, 2009 @ 3:30 pm

Those look so good! :)

Andrea@WellnessNotes — October 21, 2009 @ 5:34 pm

I’m not a big scone fan either, but these look great!!! They are going on my “must bake” list… :)

carascravings — October 21, 2009 @ 7:24 pm

Hello delicious scones!
    I would pay some good money to take a bite of
    one of those right now.

Chris Cuvelier — October 21, 2009 @ 8:01 pm

My wife and I have been on the pumpkin binge! I guess these things happen in October when you have kids. Jack-o-Lanterns, pumpkin spiced this and pumpkin spiced that. I just created my first ever pumpkin smoothie. It was so delicious! your scones look amazing.

Sherry — October 21, 2009 @ 8:29 pm

Absolutely delicious looking! I too live in Pittsburgh but I haven’t gone searching for any of those kisses yet. I have tried the candy corn looking ones and they are mighty tasty. I’ll keep an eye out and see if they really are that elusive. Great pictures too!

Devan G Newman — October 21, 2009 @ 10:44 pm

yum! :)
    Those look irrisistable!

Mommas Soapbox — October 22, 2009 @ 1:30 am

I’ve never met a scone I haven’t liked…… but these look WONDERFUL!

I will be trying this one out for sure.

I love the “kisses” I’ve not seen those here before…..

Thanks so much!!

Hayley — October 8, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

I know, god forbid I ask, but any substitute for buttermilk?

• Jessica — October 8th, 2010 @ 5:42 pm

You can make our own! 1 cup milk + 1 teaspoon vinegar, let sit for 5 minutes, then measure out what you need.

Hayley — October 8, 2010 @ 9:04 pm

I just made them with a bunch of substitutions and they still turned out great. I took them out right in the nick of time, so next time I would cook for 13 1/2 minutes (maybe my oven runs hot!).

For you health nuts:
    I used whole wheat sugar, 1/2 butter 1/2 smart balance, 1/2 sugar 1/2 splenda…also added a little more pumpkin. I know I’m missing out on if I would have had the recipe as is, but the fact that I healthified these and they are still light, airy and delicious speaks for itself.

Dana — March 6, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

I would SO be making these this morning if I hadn’t used all the REAL butter last night making homemade mac-n-cheese!

Guess I’ll have to make cake mix pancakes instead!

:-)