Update your readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

Here we have another excellent appetizer to cause you to unbuckle that belt one meal too early! It is the holiday season, right? Unbuckling pants mid-meal is inevitable.

Just wear a cute, long top like I do.

I love a thick, creamy spinach dip. I love it even more with bacon. I love it even more with smoked cheese. This is a treat every will love. Even veggie-haters like myself.

Along with cream cheese, I use mayonnaise and sour cream and my base.

IMG_2269

Just as with the buffalo chicken dip, if you are making this for a crowd, I suggest using full-fat ingredients. I happened to have low-fat mayo, so I used it up.

I’d much rather clog my arteries with full-fat mayo, though. Don’t you?

Fresh sauteed spinach, garlic and shallots.

IMG_2277

IMG_2279

Make sure you use an entire bag of spinach so you are left with enough for the dip by the time it cooks down. I love using fresh spinach, and must admit I’ve never even tried frozen spinach.

I fold everything together with a spatula – cheese, artichokes, spinach and bacon.

IMG_2280

I use marinated artichokes because I think they add a delicious flavor to the dip.

Spread it into a baking dish – and voila!

IMG_2281

It is simple, quick, and so much tastier than other spinach dips. It is very creamy and thick, with lots of ooey-gooey cheese. Who can say no to that??

Not me, my thighs or my hips. They don’t lie.

IMG_2316

I like to serve it with bread and crackers – and my vice – blue corn chips.

IMG_2317

Did you know blue corn chips are fantastic for breakfast?? They really are. I promise. Try them.

IMG_2318

Fresh Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Bacon

2-8 oz blocks of cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup mayonaise

1 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese

2 tablespoons olive oil

1-6 oz bag of fresh spinach

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 shallot, chopped

8 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled

1-12 oz can of marinated artichokes, drained

Preheat oven to 400.

Heat a skillet on medium heat, and add olive oil. Add spinach, garlic and shallots, stirring until spinach is wilted and cooked down. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream. Beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth. Fold in 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, spinach, artichokes, and crumbled bacon. Pour into a baking dish and top with remaining cheese.

Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Serve with bread, chips, and crackers.

IMG_2319

Four words.

Get. in. my. belly.

Happy Turkey Day Eve! :)

21 Responses to “Holiday Appetizers 101: Fresh Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Bacon.”

Amanda — November 25, 2009 @ 5:33 pm

Ha! Get in my belly. This looks REALLY good. Like one of those “Oh I’ll make this for guests then eat it before they even arrive” kinda goods. :)

Blessings!
    Amanda

Light Delight with TouTou — November 25, 2009 @ 5:47 pm

Yah, finally you are making my favorite one!!! I love that spinach dip…..and always over eat them . I would love to make them own with light ingredients , so I won’t feel that guilty!
    thanks for doing this series, it’s so helpful ! I collected quite a lot recipes for the party already :-)
    Have a wonderful thanksgiving, Jessica!

Kelly — November 25, 2009 @ 7:21 pm

haha i totally just said that last line in the voice of fat bastard

rebeccasubbiah — November 25, 2009 @ 7:35 pm

oh yummy, ok for the holidays in moderation thanks for visiting
    Rebecca

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — November 25, 2009 @ 8:12 pm

spinach & arti dip is HANDS DOWN my fave dip.
    I can veganize it, but i do love your version, I bet it’s sooo good :)

Shelley — November 25, 2009 @ 10:06 pm

dont know if i could eat chips for breakfast, but the dip looks fantastic!

Shannon @ bakeandbloom.com — November 25, 2009 @ 10:26 pm

I say YES to chips for breakfast, YES YES YES!:) (ok, I really like chips)

Julie @savvyeats — November 25, 2009 @ 10:45 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, dear!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — November 26, 2009 @ 5:24 am

Mmmmmm! That sounds fantastic! I love your style!

Melinda — November 26, 2009 @ 6:51 am

I love spinach and artichoke dip, except no bacon. Some restaurants that serve it do make it using bacon grease so as a veggie I always ask about that.

Cara (Cara Craves...) — November 26, 2009 @ 6:54 am

The good food is totally worth every extra belt buckle!

kay (eating machine) — November 26, 2009 @ 8:14 am

artichoke dip is the only way my fiance will eat artichokes.
    which means i buy it all the time to, you know, expose him to the artichokes in hopes of him one day eating them normal
    it’s totally altruistic.

Anne@ the doctor takes a wife — November 26, 2009 @ 8:59 am

This looks amazing!! I’m totally going to try :)

Have a happy Thanksgiving !!

Barbara Bakes — November 27, 2009 @ 9:31 pm

Love the addition of bacon. Bacon makes everything taste better!

Susan — November 30, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

I make this dip all the time, but I have never tried bacon or fresh spinach… I will have to try it next time!!

Leslie — December 22, 2009 @ 9:49 am

This is a great recipe!! I’ve been looking everywhere for one that used fresh spinach and everything calls for the frozen stuff! I will definitely be making this again, and it’s a great way to get spinach and artichokes in my kids!!

Crystal Furniss — June 4, 2011 @ 6:59 am

I have made numerous spinach and artichoke dips, and I’ve never thought any of them were good enough to make again. Your recipe, however, was delicious and we devoured it! I can finally stop the search for the perfect spinach and artichoke dip! Amazing…thanks for sharing!

tiffany — December 13, 2013 @ 3:33 am

hi. wondering what size of baking dish this fits into? thanks so much

1. Pingback: Kicked-Up Spinach Dip | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Mondaze « fashionfitnessfoodie

3. Pingback: Day #86 – Fresh Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Bacon « Ella Rose Entertaining