Please update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

Remember the whole wheat pumpkin gnocchi?

I just love something about making gnocchi. I find it fairly easy and they are just so good.

These gnocchi take the cake. They are the best ones I have made yet.

I roasted some butternut squash with salt, pepper, cinnamon and a touch a nutmeg.

IMG_1855

IMG_1859

It was so soft that I could mash it with a fork, but I could have also used my most favorite kitchen appliance ever – my mini food processor.

IMG_1860

I used all-purpose flour this time. I can’t lie. I liked it better.

IMG_1861

I could definitely tell a difference from the whole wheat. As can the seam of my pants, and my currently clogged arteries.

Rolled them into thin logs before cutting them.

IMG_1862

I am not even sure if this is how you make gnocchi. I just figured it was. Is it?

Any Italians out there that want to give me some gnocchi wisdom?

Either way, it works for me.

Butternut squash puffins dough.

IMG_1863

IMG_1864

Hmmm. Butternut squash Puffins do not sound as appetizing as Pumpkin Puffins.

I made a brown butter sauce.

IMG_1868

IMG_1870

And no – I did not include sage. Maybe I should have.

But really, we all know I detest anything that is green. Unless it is stuffed with butter, cheese and bacon.

Or covered in chocolate.

If you want me to make this for you, I will include sage.

Myself? I’d rather eat it in a dripping pool of butter sauce alone.

IMG_1872

IMG_1876

I have a big confession. I haven’t always liked butter.

In fact, I still do not like it in it’s solid form. It probably stems from the time when I was about 6 years old, walked into the kitchen and found my 4 year old brother eating butter straight off the butter dish.

Just dipping his fingers in and eating it.

No wonder we are strange. Is there such a thing as butter intoxication?

Do you know how wonderful this was?

I ate this entire dish. Really. I know I usually say that, and I usually do eat the the entire dish – over a period of a few days.

But this – I ate in one sitting.

And then – I made it again on Sunday and proceeded to proceeded to devour it.

IMG_1877

The brown butter sauce, combined with the olive oil and cinnamon from roasting the squash … it all just melts in your mouth.

Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Brown Butter Sauce

~ 1/2 butternut squash, chopped

~ 1 1/2 cups flour

2 tablepoons olive oil

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon salt

sprinkling of pepper

1/4 cup butter

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400.

Chop butternut squash into bite size pieces. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

Once roasted squash has cooled, mash with a fork or puree in a food processor. You want about 1 cup of squash.

Begin gradually adding flour and mix with your hands to create a dough. If it is too sticky, add more flour. Do not add too much at one time.

Bring water to a boil in a large pot.

Roll dough into thin strips and cut inch-long pieces from the strip.  Place in boiling water and let cook for 3-4 minutes, or just until gnocchi floats. Drain pasta.

Heat a small saucepan on medium heat. Add butter and continue to stir and swirl so butter down not burn. Watch closely. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until butter is lightly browned and bubbly.

Pour brown butter over gnocchi and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

IMG_1878

Just like the gorgonzola intervention, I feel I need a butter one, too.

IMG_1879

I want to eat this every day. Every. Single. Day.

IMG_1880

I hope you do, too. Then I won’t feel so alone.

Butternut Squash on Foodista

Come visit me at Good Taste Pittsburgh on Saturday!

40 Responses to “Roasted Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Brown Butter Sauce and Parmesan.”

megan — November 3, 2009 @ 9:21 am

these look amazing! I recently posted gnocchi on my blog, but only the traditional version. This is something i definitely need to try. I have such a mental block and peeling and de-seeding a butternut squash though…

Jessica — November 3, 2009 @ 9:37 am

I agree! I hate cutting it!

LiLu — November 3, 2009 @ 9:56 am

A mini food processor is at the TOP of my Xmas list this year… and I think this might have to be one of the first things I make!!!

Yum Yucky — November 3, 2009 @ 10:00 am

oh gawsh. Why didn’t you invite me over? But now I shall indulge in this virtual feast. My greedy eyeball is hanging out.

Julie @savvyeats — November 3, 2009 @ 10:26 am

Gah, will you stop tempting me to change this week’s meal plan? This looks absolutely amazing! I love pumpkin gnocchi, and I love butternut squash…match made in heaven?

I think from now on you should tell me what you’re making for the week so I can incorporate it into my meal plan/grocery shopping. Now I’m just going to be dreaming about gnocchi all week…

The Candid RD — November 3, 2009 @ 10:27 am

GREAT recipe!! This sounds so fantastic. Actually I had pumpkin gnocchi over the weekend (Nick’s mom ordered it and I tried) but it wasn’t whole wheat. That’s a nice little bonus :)

Jess (A Fete For Food) — November 3, 2009 @ 11:15 am

I made pumpkin gnocchi last night! I used canned pumpkin, ricotta cheese, and ww pastry flour. I WISH I had thought of a browned butter sauce. I used regular tomato sauce which was kind of gross. I’m going to eat the rest w/ a butter sauce. Thanks for the suggestion! :-) Have a great day!

• Seth — November 4th, 2009 @ 9:35 am

I wonder how that would have tasted with a white sauce instead of tomato…

Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) — November 3, 2009 @ 12:26 pm

Sounds super delicious and so festive for fall! I would have never imaged that gnocchi was so easy to make. Whats next homemade pasta noodles?!!?? Have a great Tuesday. :)

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — November 3, 2009 @ 1:48 pm

You know, I bet that would be great with Mizithra cheese, like I do with the spaghetti.

Mari — November 3, 2009 @ 1:48 pm

that looks so good! amazing recipe =)

Nicole — November 3, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

This is making my mouth water! I have to try to make my own gnocchi!

Biz — November 3, 2009 @ 2:59 pm

Yep, gnocci is that easy – I actually watched a youtube video of a guy filming his Italian grandma – I’ve never seen it made so fast! The only thing I add (just to hold the sauce better) is to run each pillow over the end of a fork to give it ridges on one side.

And sage would have been a killer addition!!

Devan G Newman — November 3, 2009 @ 3:27 pm

Yum! what a beautiful dish!

Erica — November 3, 2009 @ 5:50 pm

I think it secretly is Wednesday and we just don’t know it yet ;)

This is SO similar to what we made in the cooking class I took and it was OUT of this world. SO yummy. Melty goodness. I’m jealous ;)

kay (eating machine) — November 3, 2009 @ 6:06 pm

one of my brothers used to butter saltines.
    so gross.
    actually, it was margarine. even grosser.
    i didn’t have real butter on a regular basis till i was out of college.
    will you make me dinner?

AshleyLauren — November 3, 2009 @ 6:12 pm

This sounds fabulous!!!!! I was just looking at a gnocchi recipe this weekend, and thinking, wow this is hard. But I could so do this!! Thanks for sharing :)

Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) — November 3, 2009 @ 6:26 pm

oh. my. gosh. I actually have a recipe waiting for me – I’m a little nervous about home-made gnocchi and hope it turns out as good as yours!!!!

TinaFromTexas — November 3, 2009 @ 6:50 pm

See, you eat veggies! Butternut squash is so good for you!

Light Delight with TouTou — November 3, 2009 @ 8:49 pm

Oh that Gnocchi must be really sweet:) I love butternut squash’s milky and sweety flavor.
    I once saw a Italian cooking program teaching how to make Gnocchi’s grid with a fork. it’s really fun yet lot of work. I would rather follow your recipe! makes my life much easier!

sophia — November 3, 2009 @ 10:10 pm

I must, I must, I must! I must increase BUST out some of my kabocha and make this awesome gnocchi! I’ve been too chicken to try this after my last failed attempt…I wish you were here to teach me physically!

Your Brother — November 4, 2009 @ 12:05 am

Listen here missy, If we had a time machine right here and now I could go back in time and change one thing…

I WOULD STILL EAT THE BUTTER!!! (judge me freely foodies)

… However, I would go back in time to stop you the one time you decided to blow your nose in my hair. That is all.

You sister, are a butternut squash.

Barbara — November 4, 2009 @ 5:01 am

Agreed- we are butter freaks. And brown butter is being used so much in recipes just now- I love the toasty taste it gives to everything.
    I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve never made gnocchi. Love it, but have never made it. No excuse now. This recipe looks fabulous and the photos……oh boy.

Alyssa — November 4, 2009 @ 6:08 am

Gnocchi is one of my daughter’s favorite things, so I’m hoping to try this very soon!

About your brother, mine did the same thing. Used to drive my mom nuts, finding his little finger marks in the butter dish! My husband’s brother used to eat the mustard out of the jar! Maybe it’s just a boy thing?

• Jessica — November 4th, 2009 @ 9:08 am

Yes, boys are strange.

• Kristie Lynn — November 4th, 2009 @ 12:01 pm

I’ll be honest… my mom caught me eating butter straight out of the fridge when I was younger too. And I swear, I’m not a boy. So maybe it’s just a weirdo thing? ;)

SarahKate — November 4, 2009 @ 6:42 am

Yum yum yum! Anything with browned butter is ok in my book… the addition of butternut squash just puts this over the edge. Can’t wait to try this!

brandi — November 4, 2009 @ 7:21 am

this looks so good, girl! I’ve never tried making my own gnocchi, but I want to!

Gena — November 4, 2009 @ 8:59 am

Squash basta?? Sub coconut oil for butter, and this girl is SOLD :)

• Jessica — November 4th, 2009 @ 9:08 am

Oh, coconut sounds pretty darn good, too!

Morgan — November 4, 2009 @ 9:58 am

This looks so amazing. I think anything in a brown butter sauce is perfection. However, your brother eating butter straight kind of grosses me out too!
    Are you working at Good Taste Pittsburgh or just checking it out? I’m trying to debate if I am going to go or not (I live in Meadville). It looks like a fantastic event!

MelissaNibbles — November 4, 2009 @ 10:02 am

Give up butter?! Paula Deen will be coming after you.

stephchows — November 4, 2009 @ 11:40 am

mmmm these sound so good! you have me craving some home made pasta and I have no time to make it!

Paige (running around normal) — November 4, 2009 @ 11:44 am

Oh my deliciousness. I must try this this weekend! It looks and sounds fabulous!!

JenniferA — November 4, 2009 @ 7:52 pm

These look fabulous! I got to see Rocco Dispirito cook in person recently and he made regular potato gnocchi the same way – rolled logs and just cut them into smaller pieces. Looks very easy! This looks even better than Rocco’s! :-)

Evan — November 16, 2009 @ 8:41 am

Looks amazing. Just so happens I have a butternut squash. Looks like I know what is for dinner

Barbra Donachy — November 25, 2011 @ 12:20 am

This looks fantastic. I’ve been making my own pastas and have been wanting to try gnocchi. I have acorn squash…and will try it out with this squash. Thanks for the recipe!
    Barbra
    donachyblog.wordpress.com

1. Pingback: Trivia Friday #3 | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Sage and Butter Sauce and Sheep Feta | The Carnivore and the Vegetarian

3. Pingback: Mislead… « fashionfitnessfoodie