Please update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

I have always enjoyed pesto, but it wasn’t until I began making it with arugula that I absolutely loved it. While basil has a very strong flavor, the arugula is mild but spicy. It has a bite to it, and mixed with the asiago it is to die for.

IMG_2899

Asiago is one of my most favorite cheeses. I could eat it on anything. And I do.

IMG_2900

That doesn’t say much since at any given time we have enough cheese in the fridge to feed a small country. Or my husband.

Into the food processor goes arugula, garlic, and asiago.

IMG_2902

IMG_2906

Such a pretty color! You can also use your mini food processor to make a smaller serving. I used my large one, because I do everything in excess. I know no limits.

After pulsing it a few times, stream in the olive oil to create more of a sauce.

IMG_2909

It’s peppery with a hint of cheese, and I love it on whole wheat pasta alone.

IMG_2914

I also think it is such a ‘pretty’ dish.

IMG_2915

Arugula and Asiago Pesto

4 cups arugula

1/2 cup asiago cheese

3 garlic cloves

1/4 cup olive oil

In a food processor, combine garlic, arugula and cheese. Pulse until combined. Stream in olive oil a tablespoon at a time until the pesto becomes smooth.

Serve with pasta or on sandwiches.

Since my hubby has major convulsions if he doesn’t eat meat, I knew I need to make this dish more ‘man-friendly’ for him.

IMG_2917

I added some grilled chicken, tomatoes, chopped bacon, and a sprinkling of asiago.

I highly suggest trying the pesto with bacon. It was delightful!

IMG_2918

The tomatoes also added a nice, fresh taste to the spicy pesto. It was a great combo!

IMG_2919

It made my hubby full, happy, convulsion-free, and put him right to sleep. Just the way I like it.

51 Responses to “Arugula and Asiago Pesto.”

MelissaNibbles — December 26, 2009 @ 6:47 am

That is a very pretty dish! I love pasta, but I’m not a fan of tomato sauce. Weird, I know. I’ll have to try this recipe soon!

Kim — December 26, 2009 @ 7:38 am

Gotta try this. sounds tasty!

The Candid RD — December 26, 2009 @ 8:03 am

YUM! I love pesto, especially on top of grilled eggplant. It’s on of my favorite dishes. Thanks for the recipe, as I’ve never made my own! I hope you had a Merry Christmas :)

Abbys Vegan Eats — December 26, 2009 @ 8:53 am

LOVE pesto.. so easy and a nice change from regular marinara! Hope you had a lovely Christmas :)

Erica — December 26, 2009 @ 9:03 am

Looks so yummy. I’ve never tried making pesto- I need to get on that. Love Love the Asiago too. Hope you guys have a nice Saturday

Melinda — December 26, 2009 @ 9:33 am

Mmm, that looks good and I love the green color. Hope you had a nice holiday with yoru family.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) — December 26, 2009 @ 9:35 am

I can never eat pesto because it has pine nuts and I’m allergic. I always say I need to try to make my own and this is perfect!! Thanks!

• Alyssa — May 25th, 2012 @ 6:27 pm

You should try making regular pesto with walnuts instead of pine nuts! I do because pine nuts are SO expensive and the walnuts give a nice nutty flavor.

Jenny — December 26, 2009 @ 10:17 am

This recipe looks so easy and sounds delicious!!

Lauren — December 26, 2009 @ 11:11 am

I plan on growing some herbs in my garden this spring, and I can’t wait to make some pesto. I’ll have to try it with arugula!

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — December 26, 2009 @ 11:13 am

This looks super yummy!! I’m going to give it a try when we head back home!!

Sherrie — December 26, 2009 @ 11:25 am

That sound delish! TFS :)

Kelly B. — December 26, 2009 @ 12:16 pm

Yum! My husband is the same way…he HAS to have meat! :)

Karla — December 26, 2009 @ 12:58 pm

Yum! I love pesto!!

Nicole- Geek Turned Athlete — December 26, 2009 @ 1:14 pm

Doesn’t anything taste better when you add bacon?? Nice addition to the pesto!!

One Healthy Apple — December 26, 2009 @ 2:07 pm

This recipe sounds delicious! I bet this would be a huge hit for a dinner party too- genius, girl!

Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

lynn @ the actors diet — December 26, 2009 @ 3:43 pm

beautiful! and appropriate for the holidays, too!

Paige (Running Around Normal) — December 26, 2009 @ 4:56 pm

That sounds amazing, and looks beautiful! I’m always on the hunt for new pestos.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — December 26, 2009 @ 5:02 pm

LOVE pesto! I just dont like pinenuts and most pestos have them so I am SO happy this calls for no pinenuts!! YAY :)

Biz — December 26, 2009 @ 6:21 pm

I had to laugh out loud at the meat comment. One of the first meals I made for me and my then boyfriend (now husband!) was a big pot of chicken noodle soup with homemade artisan bread.

I cleaned the dishes, came back to the living room and picked up the remote to see if there was a movie we could watch. He was like “what’s for dinner?” I was like, we just ate! I now know that soup is just an appetizer for him! :D

Merry Belated Christmas!

Kelly from Bridges and Bites — December 26, 2009 @ 6:32 pm

Oh I looooove pestos. This is now a must-try!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 26, 2009 @ 9:40 pm

That sounds even better than the pesto I am used to! Yummy!

chrysta — December 26, 2009 @ 11:11 pm

Yum!! Thats a great flavor combination! It does look really gorgeous on the plate too!

Ameena — December 26, 2009 @ 11:11 pm

I have never made pesto before but this looks like something I can actually handle! Looks delicious.

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) — December 27, 2009 @ 6:16 am

You are too funny! I haven’t made pesto in forever. Thanks for the recipe and the inspiration! I hope you had a great Christmas!

Jessica — December 27, 2009 @ 7:02 am

Wow…that looks fantastic. I have food sensitivities to basil and tomatoes (uhhh, I’m Italian!) I will try this as soon as I get to the store to get the ingredients!

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind — December 27, 2009 @ 7:17 am

Hi, Jessica! I’m new to your blog and just read your “About” page – I love your attitude! I look forward to future reading. :)

kay (eating machine) — December 27, 2009 @ 8:43 am

bacon + pesto sounds like heaven.

Barbara — December 27, 2009 @ 11:48 am

I can’t wait to try this! I am making an appetizer using pesto and will try it.
    Happy New Year!

Shannon, Tropical Eats — December 27, 2009 @ 11:54 am

mmm that looks so good! bacon sure does make everything taste better :) great cookin girly! Have a wonderful sunday

katie — December 27, 2009 @ 11:55 am

great pesto recipie! im gona have to try this in my new food processor!!

Tricia — December 27, 2009 @ 5:18 pm

Yum, asiago and arugula…two of my favorite things!

Barbara Bakes — December 27, 2009 @ 6:28 pm

So many great, healthy ideas in this post! I’ve never had arugula pesto. I love the idea of bacon with pesto. I’ll have to give it a try. Thanks!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen — December 27, 2009 @ 8:06 pm

I am a HUGE fan of arugula pesto, I can’t wait to try it on homemade pasta!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — December 28, 2009 @ 5:37 am

ASIGO PESTO? GET OUT! Actually, I should say…GET ME A FORK! (please!)

Kacy — December 28, 2009 @ 10:20 am

Arugula is so hard to find here, but it is one of my favorite greens ever. Sounds delish!

fittingbackin — January 10, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

WOW this looks awesome! I’ve never had pesto with argula – how smart – thanks for sharing!

Caili — February 16, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

I made this and it was fantastic! I make about 75% of your recipes and pass your blog on to everyone I know…so I thought it was about time I showed you some love. :)

Caili — February 16, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

Kristen O — March 6, 2012 @ 6:47 pm

Just made this, LOVED it, and my 2yo loved it. I put in 5/6 cloves of garlic since I’m a vampire and it was excellent! Thanks for turning me on to arugula!

Whitney — April 25, 2013 @ 4:37 pm

I made this for dinner last week – we were NOT expecting it to be as good as it was! ;) Please feel free to check out my blog, also. Whenever I make a recipe of yours, I always link back to you!

1. Pingback: Two Bean Pesto Dip. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Crispy Shrimp Pasta with Arugula Pesto | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: White Cheddar + Arugula Pesto Mac and Cheese | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Pasta Weekend « district delights

5. Pingback: Arugula & Asiago Pesto « AsheleyEats

6. Pingback: On The Menu | beccamahoneytochman

7. Pingback: Arugula Pesto » Food Goggles

8. Pingback: White Cheddar and Arugula Pesto Mac & Cheese | The Spiffy Cookie

9. Pingback: Arugula and Asiago Pesto | What's Cooking In My Kitchen

10. Pingback: Arugula Pesto and White Cheddar Mac and Cheese - Best Recipe Cookbook