Please update your googles readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

I had about 4 very ripe bananas, and wanted to do something other than banana bread or cupcakes. I love bananas from the point of them being yellow until they turn very brown. I usually freeze them for shakes, but these ones were really on their last leg.

I didn’t want to throw them away and my husband only eats green bananas. I know. He is a strange fellow.

After staring at them for 25 minutes, I knew a cookie was in order.

IMG_2971

These were so ripe. As in, ‘I can’t peel the skin off without mashing the banana’ ripe. Perfect!

There is something about mashing bananas that I just love. Perhaps it is because I picture smashing the daylights out of a certain stuffed turkey.

IMG_2972

Perhaps I just really love to mash bananas with a fork.

The dough was incredibly tasty.

IMG_2973

I would know because I consumed spoonful after spoonful after spoonful after . . .

Wait.

That’s not very motivating for the New Year.

The cookies have a cake-like texture. It is like eating a tiny slice of banana bread.

IMG_2984

Or in my case, an entire loaf.

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

from allrecipes

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mashed bananas
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 .

Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together, and set aside.
Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Mix in the mashed bananas. Add the flour mixture, and stir until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 10-12  minutes.

IMG_2982

I hope you try these and love them as much as I did. Beware: you may consume an entire loaf of banana bread in the process.

IMG_2983

Now, I must get back to lounging around and not cleaning up the kitchen. I’m enjoying watching Paula Deen fry sugar-free ice cream too much. That sounds like an oxymoron.

53 Responses to “Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies.”

Maria — December 28, 2009 @ 4:45 pm

Great way to use up the brown bananas!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 28, 2009 @ 5:13 pm

I am always looking for new ways to use up ripe bananas – great idea!

homecookedem — December 28, 2009 @ 5:16 pm

These cookies look great! I love adding bananas into baked goods. Such a sweet and yummy flavor.

Erica — December 28, 2009 @ 5:20 pm

I have made banana chocolate chip cookies before and really enjoyed them. They’re a nice/different break from the usual chocolate chips. More cup cakey than cookie-y. Hope your week is going well.

Evan Thomas — December 28, 2009 @ 5:20 pm

Omnomnomnomnom!

Stef — December 28, 2009 @ 5:39 pm

sounds good, too bad i just used up all of our ridiculously ripe bananas in bread form! next time :)

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) — December 28, 2009 @ 5:45 pm

Your delicious creations are never ending! Next up, frying frozen yogurt. =)

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — December 28, 2009 @ 5:45 pm

I am sooo pumped to try these!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) — December 28, 2009 @ 5:50 pm

Yum!!!!! I love anything w/ nannas in them!
    “Perhaps I just really love to mash bananas with a fork.”–Me too!

And like your hubs, when I eat them, they have to be green or very pale yellow.
    However, when I make stuff that contains nannas, then of course over ripe is the way. At the risk of being an annoying link dropper, try this one on for size: Vegan PB Banana Loaf
    Or Muffins

GLuten Free, Soy Free, Vegan, and Moist and Delish and easy!!!! If you ever find yourself in need, just an option for ya!

Oh and the chocolate “brownie” protein oats…
    1 banana
    1 scoop choc protein powder
    1/3 c dry oats
    vanilla, stevia, agave to taste
    refrig for 12 hrs and/or freeze.
    devour!

Sorry to be giving recipes in the comment field, it’s kinda tacky but I get so excited about overripe nanas. I know, Im a nut :)

Simply Life — December 28, 2009 @ 6:32 pm

wow these sound amazing! ha, and I saw that paula deen episode this week! :)

LiLu — December 28, 2009 @ 6:52 pm

Truthfully… I think banana and chocolate were made for each other… perhaps even more than peanut butter and chocolate.

julie — December 28, 2009 @ 7:12 pm

ughhh those look SO good! i would have so much trouble just not eating the straight cookie dough.

by the way your stuffed eggplant looks SO good!!

Amanda — December 28, 2009 @ 8:09 pm

ME loves banana cake, er, I mean bread. :)

kay (eating machine) — December 28, 2009 @ 8:15 pm

those look yummy! i like the idea of tiny banana breads.
    cause if food is tiny, the calories don’t count.
    right?

sophia — December 28, 2009 @ 9:00 pm

Oh gosh…I need to bookmark these…they are the perfect way to get rid of pesky bananas! It looks SO soft and cakey!

Leah — December 28, 2009 @ 10:09 pm

These look amazing! I love anything banana flavored!

carolinebee — December 28, 2009 @ 10:19 pm

OMGGG those loooook amazing :D Hahahah and im dying bc i just watched that same Paula Dean the other day, where she makes the mexican food?? She literally “mmmmmmss” and moans soo much it makes me uncomfortable!

One Healthy Apple — December 28, 2009 @ 10:23 pm

Chocolate and bananas- yes please! These sounds wonderful!

Shelley — December 29, 2009 @ 12:38 am

this post immediately caught my eye bc bananas + chocolates are two of my fav foods- ive been wanting to get into baking (can this have something 2 do w/ your blog? haha … hmmm)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — December 29, 2009 @ 4:42 am

Bananas and chocolate makes such a lovely combination, don’t they?

Melinda — December 29, 2009 @ 5:10 am

Looks divine!

Ashley — December 29, 2009 @ 6:38 am

banana and chocolate are a match made in heaven! these looks so cakey its incredible! oh i wish i lived with you!

Nicole- Geek Turned Athlete — December 29, 2009 @ 7:15 am

Those cookies look freakin’ amazing!! Chocolate and bananas?! Count me in!

Casey @ SpicyandSweet — December 29, 2009 @ 8:45 am

Those cookies look fantastic! :)

Yum Yucky — December 29, 2009 @ 9:13 am

Banana in da cookie? Why have I not heard of this. Cake-like texture?? My heart is oozing greed.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — December 29, 2009 @ 9:17 am

I LOVE ripe mashed bananas! One of my fav desserts is mashed banana with pomegranate on top.

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) — December 29, 2009 @ 9:20 am

Nothing beats banana and chocolate.. perfect combo!! These cookies look so light and fluffy, too! YUM ;) Hope you had a nice holiday!!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — December 29, 2009 @ 9:31 am

Mmmm…these look good!

Lol– gotta love Paula Deen and her “healthy” recipes. :-) She has a “healthy” peanut butter cookie recipe that’s just pb and splenda. Doesn’t sound too healthy. Also doesn’t sound like it would taste very good!!

Kailey — December 29, 2009 @ 10:31 am

after seeing those ooey gooey chocolate chips I totally bookmarked this page :)

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — December 29, 2009 @ 11:06 am

yummmm! i bet these would be great dipped in peanut butter… but then again what WOULDN’T be great dipped in pb?

Kelly B. — December 29, 2009 @ 11:33 am

Awesome idea! You are so creative with food…love it!

janetha b — December 29, 2009 @ 11:46 am

mmm i love baking with bananas. these look awesome.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog — December 29, 2009 @ 11:49 am

I’m a green banana eater too :) so these would be great for me! The way you described them as little pieces of banana bread just makes my mouth water!!

lemmonex — December 29, 2009 @ 11:56 am

Such a good use of over ripe bananas. In fact I have a few in my freezer that would like to be part of this recipe.

katie — December 29, 2009 @ 12:49 pm

ooo jessica these looks amazeee girlfrand!

Low — December 29, 2009 @ 1:43 pm

I wonder what they would taste like with just the bananas and some nuts. I don’t care for chocolate chips in cookies. Crazy, I know… But cakey cookies are my favorite.

lynn @ the actors diet — December 29, 2009 @ 1:50 pm

yum yum yum! i love brown bananas. so good in oatmeal and everything else!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen — December 29, 2009 @ 2:36 pm

Those look decadent! And to know that it’s got some fruit in them makes them sound even better :)

Jenny — December 29, 2009 @ 3:43 pm

I would never think of putting bananas in cookies! Yum! They are so wonderful in baked goods :)

And I’m with you, I will eat ALL ripenesses of bananas, I really don’t care…

Jocelyn — January 6, 2010 @ 4:58 am

mmmm these look amazing. I am going to make them!!! :D

akumal vacation — January 15, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

My daughter bought a new one for my house. But I’m having some problems and I need a little help.

Trish — June 23, 2010 @ 8:44 am

I just recently found your site and tried this recipe over the weekend! They were definitely yummy! Hmmm…what should I try next?

Becci — February 2, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

These banookies are so good! I’m about to make another batch of them…. only 1 cookie leftover from the last batch and they’re too good not to have in the house

Amanda — August 29, 2011 @ 9:35 am

I had these this past weekend and everyone loved them. This morning I dipped them in my coffee… They are like yummy little scones! A delish combo! uh oh.

Jerena — January 22, 2012 @ 8:19 am

How long would these cookies last? And how to keep them soft? Thanks!

Www.info-biznesowo.pl — May 7, 2013 @ 9:10 am

The music the past is rich coupled with traditional music,
    colleagues songs and dances. TJ and company
    was born writing and the creation of their own vouchers.

1. Pingback: Peanut Butter, Banana, and Honey Cookies | Two Peas and Their Pod

2. Pingback: Who are you calling a procrastinator? Oh me? That would be correct. Cookies anyone? « atriskyouth

3. Pingback: Rainy days and Tuesdays « Sweet Ohm Cooking