Guess what? Friday Trivia is back tomorrow! 4 chances to win a great prize. :)

I love holiday-flavored candies, and that says alot because I am a bit of a chocolate snob.

Ok. A big chocolate snob.

An expensive chocolate snob.

Years ago, my aunt would always buy chocolate mint m&m’s. They went on a brief hiatus and we couldn’t find them for years. I am so excited they are back.

IMG_2543

IMG_2544

I’m even more excited because they are bigger than regular m&m’s. You know how the peanut butter m&m’s are fatter than regular? These mint ones are fat, too. Plump, minty chocolate. It’s right up my alley.

Last week at Target I also picked up some candy cane Kisses.

IMG_2546

IMG_2548

I wasn’t fond of the candy corn Kisses at Halloween, but these more than make up for it. See those little red crystals? These kisses are crunchy!

Plump chocolate and crunchy chocolate. It’s like I’ve died and gone to Heaven.

I decided I wanted to make some double chocolate cookies, since I just can’t get enough chocolate.

Sometimes I eat it for breakfast.

True story.

There was a recipe in Mother Lovett’s book of secrets that I had found, so I quickly whipped it up.

I chopped up the crunchy Kisses. I love chopping.

IMG_2551

I separated the cookie dough into three parts.

One bowl got the plump m&m’s.

IMG_2553

Another got the chopped, crunchy Kisses.

IMG_2556

And the third bowl I left plain. I rolled the dough into balls to make festive blossom cookies.

IMG_2562

All of the cookies turned out delicious. Very chocolate-y (just how I like ‘em) with hints of peppermint. It tasted like Christmas in a cookie. I will definitely be making these closer to the holiday.

We have double chocolate mint m&m’s cookies.

IMG_2567

IMG_2574

And double chocolate peppermint chunk cookies.

IMG_2568

IMG_2572

While these cookies are festive, the chocolate cookie recipe turned out fabulous. Perfectly moist and very soft. Occasionally I like a crispy cookie (my dad’s favorite!), but usually I am a sucker for soft and chewy.

Double Chocolate Cookies

2 sticks butter

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups flour

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.

Fold in any chips, m&m’s or nut’s if you’d like. Leave plain to make blossom cookies.

Spoon onto a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

If making blossom cookies, roll into balls and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and push Kiss into center of cookie. Bake for 1 more minute.

The blossom cookies turned out unexpectedly. The Kiss was only in the oven for 30 seconds, but these peppermint Kisses must be very sensitive to heat. Every batch I made, leaving in the oven for less time, came out melted down.

But at a second glance, I really like these cookies and thought they were extremely merry.

IMG_2569

IMG_2570

Not to mention incredibly delicious. I used the same dough, but because there was nothing in each cookie besides the Kiss on top, they were even more soft.

And can I just ask if you’ve seen these?

IMG_2561

Irish Creme Kisses!

Hello…?

That makes for a Bailey’s cookie. With a side of Bailey’s of course.

IMG_2575

IMG_2576

This was definitely my favorite because it tasted like Bailey’s in a Kiss.

Which is ironic, since I’m sure Bailey’s leads to plenty of kisses.

66 Responses to “Peppermint Double Chocolate Chip Cookies.”

Katie — December 2, 2011 @ 8:52 pm

These cookies are awesome!!!! I am making them for all three of the cookie exchanges that I am going to this month. Thank you so much :)

emily — December 4, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

did you use salted or unsalted butter?

Claire Jain — December 7, 2011 @ 10:54 am

Oh my! My husband and I made these cookies last night. They are probably the tastiest cookies I ever made. I baked some on a Silpat and others on parchment paper. I think I like the way the parchment paper ones turned out best. Also, I couldn’t find mint M&Ms or Candy Cane Kisses, so we used Coconut M&Ms (Holla!) and Hershey’s Hugs. We kept the hugs in the oven for more like 90 seconds, but they didn’t melt down the way the Candy Cane kisses seem to have done. We found that we could kind of poke them down after they had been out of the oven for 20 minutes, but the tips were hard again. Thanks for a stellar recipe. We’re giving some to our neighbors today!

Kelly — December 15, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

Just made these cookies! They are WONDERFUL! I preferred the Hershey’s Kisses over the M&M’s, but they were both great!

Kim — December 15, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

DELICIOUS!!! And, I discovered a way to get the candy cane kisses to remain whole and intact…Simply take the cookies out of the oven after 8 minutes (like the recipe says)…Let them cool on the pan for about 3 minutes…Then push the kiss into the center. Do NOT return to oven. BEAUTIFUL…Also, I made some plain balls (just like the recipe says)…Rolled them in a mixture of white, red, and green sugar, and after 8 minutes of baking, I let the cookies cool on the pan for about 3 minutes…THEN (YUMMMMMMM), I lightly pressed 3 Mint M&M’s near the center of each (1 green, 1 red, and 1 white). BEST cookies EVER. Thanks so much for the great dough recipe!! :)

Catherine Mae — January 28, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

Today I am going to use your chocolate cookie as a base for a cookie today! Will def. put a link back to you when I post it

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — November 26, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

Jessica,
    can I just say OH MY GOODNESS!!!!
    Looking at this three year old post I am completely inspired, amazed and SO very proud of how far you’ve come in your photography!
    And not only in your pictures, but in your writing and connection with your audience as well.
    You completely amaze and inspire me, girl and you have ever since I found your blog. I am so very, very grateful that I did.
    Thank you.
    For everything.
    These cookies ROCKED by the way. Made them and linked back to you in my Day 2 of my 12 Days of Cookies.
    Keep up the great work!! Hugs!!

Elizabeth — December 7, 2013 @ 5:37 pm

Just made this for the first time and made half of the cookies with the mint M&Ms and half with the Peppermint M&Ms and both are delicious! My constant problem is that my cookies never come out as thick and chunky as the recipe photos. They always go flat. I’ve looked it up, tried refrigerating dough, swapping out soda for powder, adding Crisco (but that changes the taste), and I can’t get it. What is your trick???

1. Pingback: Holiday Baking. | How Sweet It Is