Cheese Fondue.

Please update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

One of the biggest treats when I was young were the Saturday nights that my mom made fondue. At the time, the crazy 70′s fondue craze was long gone and it was difficult to find it in a restaurant.

She makes an amazing fondue – one that her friends still talk about constantly. I can just see her back in the 70′s sitting around a large table, serving her fondue. Luckily, it is one habit that she took with her.

Thankfully, none of the other habits followed her. Being in college for music in the 70′s meant only one thing. Lots of . . . fondue.

I’m sure it meant other things that I’ve never even heard of, thought of, smoked, or done. Not I, folks.

Check out this big hunk ‘a burnin’ love.

IMG_3299

I love cheese. Cheese is my friend. Cheese is not my thigh’s friend.

I adapted my mom’s recipe just a bit. After rubbing the fondue pot with a garlic clove, I chopped some up, mixed it with salt, and made it into a paste. I wanted the flavor in the fondue, but not the chunks.

IMG_3300

I don’t like chunks. My body on the other hand, appears to really like chunks. Probably because I feed it entire pots of fondue.

I really enjoyed the little bit of garlic paste. It just gave the slightest garlic flavor. I think my mom would like it, too. She didn’t know what garlic was until Rachael Ray started sauteing it in 16 cups of olive oil to begin each dish.

This was fondue for two.

IMG_3301

And by two, I mean myself and me.

My hubby wasn’t interested because of the lack of meat. He can’t be bothered by fancy, schmancy dipping cheese.

But it all works out. I can’t be bothered with cleaning the house. Easy trade-off.

The dippers included lightly toasted italian bread, crisp apples, and juicy pears.

IMG_3302

IMG_3303

My favorite were the pears. I loved the juicy, fresh taste against the tart cheese.

IMG_3304

Well, that’s a lie. My favorite was really the bread, probably which I consumed 6 full slices of. But the pears were really, really good, too. Healthy, too.

Frankly, the dish will never be healthy. Let’s deal with it.

Now, I must go continue to stare at the Christmas decorations that are still strung throughout our home. I really don’t have the slightest desire to remove them. Not because I like them, but because I’m insanely lazy. I’m hoping the issue resolves itself.

The Christmas decor, not my laziness.

Cheese Fondue

Serves 2-4

1 cup white wine (I used Riesling)

1 1/4 cups shredded gruyere

1 cup shredded emmentaler cheese (or another form of swiss cheese)

1-2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 garlic clove

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

Rub fondue pot with garlic cloves. Chop clove in half and mince. Combine with a sprinkle of salt and mash with your knife to create a paste.

Bring wine to a simmer. Toss shredded cheese with cornstarch. Add cheese to wine in batches, stirring constantly until smooth. Add garlic paste and nutmeg and stir.

Serve with bread, fruit, and vegetables.

54 Responses to “Cheese Fondue.”

bridget {bake at 350} — January 16, 2010 @ 5:40 pm

I am seriously drooling right now! :)

Amanda — January 16, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

When we get together you better make this!! :) Got any plans this summer? ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 16, 2010 @ 5:54 pm

I love gruyere cheese. I just cant eat dairy very easily. So I dont. BUT in my prior life, I have to say going to the Melting Pot (not the height of classy or anything LOL ) but they had a nice bar area…I digress :) I used to love fondue. And with wine. Perfect :)

One Healthy Apple — January 16, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

Wine, cheese, together with fruit- perfect! It sounds like a complete meal to me :)

Have a wonderful weekend girl. I just saw your new picture on Twitter and it’s fab-u-lous!

Jill@QuarterLifeWellness — January 16, 2010 @ 6:25 pm

OMG my bf recently introduced me to gruyere, YUMMMM.

Your pics are so pretty btw!

Abby — January 16, 2010 @ 6:55 pm

wow! can I PLEASE hire you as my personal chef. I love cheese too! And chocolate fondue, please? And ketchup fondue?!!!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — January 16, 2010 @ 7:04 pm

“Well, that’s a lie. My favorite was really the bread,”
    LOL You crack me up!
    And they all sound like the perfect combo!

Yum Yucky — January 16, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

I just did my first Fondue experience in Philly. Love it! Dipping some bread at home sounds good right now.

Erica @ Fashion meets Food — January 16, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

wow that looks so good! I just may have to make some fondu

Katie — January 16, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

Oh man, you’re making me so hungry. I would die for some yummy fondue right now…I’ve never tried it with pears before, sounds killer. Lucky that your husband didn’t eat any…mine would have eaten his share and stolen my portion, too. ;-)

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — January 16, 2010 @ 7:17 pm

Oh, I LOVE fondue. I have a recipe book that is all different types of fondues. I have tried a few of them, and they worked really well. I really need to get that back out and give it another go.

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — January 16, 2010 @ 7:31 pm

Oh man I love cheese. My body hates it too… But I might force feed it this recipe:-)

homecookedem — January 16, 2010 @ 7:39 pm

MMMmmmm, I love cheeeeeeeese, haha!! I esp. love that you dipped pears into it. That sounds like a lovely combo!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 16, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

Mmmm…this looks so, so good. My MIL made us fondue when we were out visiting them over the break. Delicious! And so retro :-)

Stephanie — January 16, 2010 @ 7:49 pm

The fondue looks soooo good, and this post = hilarious :) Ummm I am currently looking at our nicely lit xmas tree – that is still up – bc we were out of town on the cruise post holidays – and still too lazy to take down since then – plan is for xmas “take down” to commence tmrw – we shall see how that plays out ;) Have a great night!

Gabriela — January 16, 2010 @ 8:14 pm

This reminds me of the Melting Pot! I used to beg to go there as a kid :) Looks delicious, though I have to say I like the chocolate kind better! If the hubs didn’t want any, it’s his loss!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 16, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

I love fondue!!! It’s one of my favorite foods :)

Barbara Bakes — January 16, 2010 @ 9:42 pm

I don’t know how your husband could resist that luscious fondue! I know I couldn’t.

Valerie — January 17, 2010 @ 3:44 am

The salmon looks great. I had sushi for dinner :)

I was wondering, how much protein were you consuming when you were weight training, and how often were you lifting weights?

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — January 17, 2010 @ 4:59 am

I love you not only for your fondue pot rubbed in garlic but for being able to admit that you are too lazy to take down your Christmas decorations. No wonder we get a long so well.

MelissaNibbles — January 17, 2010 @ 5:10 am

I always thought it would be more difficult to make fondue. I don’t know why…it’s just cheese. We got a mini fondue pot with our Crock Pot. I’m going to try this recipe. Thanks girl!
    p.s. I still have a Frosty The Snowman wreath on my front door :)

Paula — January 17, 2010 @ 5:25 am

Mmmmm, think I’ve fallen into a cheese fantasy. I’ve only ever made chocolate fondue before but cheese looks just as good.

Although the thought of dipping bits of fruit in it made me feel a bit nauseous. I don’t personally think fruit and savoury mix. I’d stick with the bread myself. :)

The Paris Food Blague — January 17, 2010 @ 5:49 am

what a good recipe for winter

and you’re right…riesling is the way to go

Shannon — January 17, 2010 @ 5:50 am

I’ve had chocolate fondue a couple of times, but never chesse fondue. I’m not a huge cheese person, but your description makes it sound so tasty!

Melinda — January 17, 2010 @ 7:34 am

Looks so good. We got a fondue pot for our wedding, but haven’t used it yet. I am nervous to try with the cheeses here since I do not know what they really are so not sure how they will work when melted. I guess who cares…try it anyway!

Nicole — January 17, 2010 @ 7:50 am

The first time I had fondue was with my husbands family and I fell in love. YUM – i love the idea of making the garlic a paste – so smart!

heather — January 17, 2010 @ 8:28 am

when i was younger, my family hosted a fondue party for a bunch of families we met through my dad’s work who we really got along with well. We made invitations that said, “We are so fond of you, we’re inviting you for fondue.”
    aren’t we cute ;) We had about 5 different fondue pots we had collected from various garage sales and vintagey stores. (a lot of them were circa 1973. burndt orange. olive green. etc.)

Last year I got a fondue set from a friend, in hopes of hosting a similiar party. i am DEF. going to be keeping your cheese recipe as a go to when this party takes place. [step one: make local friends.]

• Sandi — January 17th, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

I love the idea of collecting fondue pots! It can compliment my crock pots of all shapes and sizes!

The Candid RD — January 17, 2010 @ 8:33 am

We still have out Christmas lights up around out windows (only seen from the inside…tacky, I know) and I don’t have the desire to take them down. In fact, we’ve grown to like them!

This fondue looks so delicious, and I can just smell the garlic and cheesiness from here. Yum. Sometimes healthy can be put on the back burner ;)

Glad you are enjoying my cookbook recipes!

Kelly B. — January 17, 2010 @ 10:08 am

That looks fabulous! I used to love it as a kid when my mom would bake brie in a pastry crust and then we would dig in with crackers and fig jam! Ah…heaven!

Katharine — January 17, 2010 @ 10:33 am

Your posts crack me up – you have a wonderful sense of humor. :) And that fondue looks amazing, I definitely need to try it because I’ve never had it!

Erica — January 17, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

mmm apples and cheese=deliciousness! We have a fondue pot and I’ve never used it (guilty!) I need to get rocking on that and use your recipe!! Maybe I will make it tonight!

On the Les Mills front- 3 is my absolute max! Any more than that and there would be no way I could dedicate enough time to deliver the programs as intended (unless group fitness was my only job). I love Attack! It is probably my favorite program- there is nothing like the feeling you have after a good Attack class :)

Jenny — January 17, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

I have always wanted to make fondue! I love the variety of things to dip in it.

Erika from The Pastry Chef At Home — January 17, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

He he…you’re funny! Christmas decorations tend to stay up until the week before Valentine’s Day at my house! Also, I’ve noticed that guys hate fondue. My husband has a hard time dealing with non meat dinners too. Asking guys to eat fondue is like asking them to do yoga in a leotard. Never gonna happen.

• Sandi — January 17th, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

If it were up to my husband – Christmas decorations would go up Labor Day and come down two weeks before Easter.

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) — January 17, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

I used to love love love fondue when I did dairy! Do you guys go to the Melting pot ever??

PS.. LOVE your new profile pic.. when I saw that last comment from you I was like who is that model??? Looks great :)

Sandi — January 17, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

My daughter-in-law, Nicole, has been credited 500 points for sharing your website with me. (We share points – I received 1,000 for getting up on a beach in Jamaica in my bathing suit and 242 pounds of glory to reggae dance with her.)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 17, 2010 @ 3:15 pm

Cheese Fondue is my idea of heaven. LOVE it!! This sounds like a great recipe – especially because it has my fave cheese in it – Gruyere!

• Sandi — January 17th, 2010 @ 4:34 pm

You mean there is a cheese that exists that isn’t a favorite? I haven’t found one yet!

She-Fit — January 17, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

Awh, so Jealous… I’m lactose Intolerant so I will never enjoy the greatness of cheese fondue :(

Low — January 17, 2010 @ 6:51 pm

I love fondue! Big hunks of bread in cheese fondue is perfection.

Dimitry — January 17, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

Love fondue we just had some with my family, with a side of radish and home made sausage.

katie — January 17, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

oh snap anything cheesy is fine by me!! i would love to dip some chicken in thur!

devan — January 18, 2010 @ 12:12 am

i havent had fondu in ages. I used to make chocolate fondu all the time!!

Simply Life — January 18, 2010 @ 6:39 am

wow, it’s 8:30am and I already want that now! Looks amazing!

Tracy — January 18, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

*drools* It’s been a while since I’ve had fondue…might have to remedy that!

Chef A — October 18, 2010 @ 1:31 am

Really tasty, would be more so with a bottle suitable nice wine :-)

Becca — January 18, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

last year, no lie, i carved a piece of gouda to look like a heart (and then re-wrapped the red lining) and gave it to my husband for Valentines Day. It was yes…mostly a joke because of his love for cheese. But I think this pot-o-heaven will be much more appreciated this year!

Milagros — May 2, 2013 @ 8:04 pm

What makes Kinjos unique is the wacky owner of this
    place. When you walk into Kanpai Japanese Steak
    and Sushi restaurant, you see a water fountain, which adds to the otherwise ordinary atmosphere.
    They rightly deduce that they didn’t win, Cliff saying they didn’t work
    as a team.