If you have never had chocolate chewies from Whole Foods, you are totally missing out.

These are one of the most amazing cookies I have ever tasted- incredibly chocolately, chewy, a bit crunchy, and just all around fantastic.

I have wanted to make them at home for months now, but for fear of devouring each and every one within seconds, I have held back. This is also the first time I have baked cookies since December. After sufficiently gorging myself with cookie-baking, I needed a break.

A break from making them, but not eating them. I am always up for eating something that is clogging my arteries and expanding my waist.

The batter is super thick – almost like brownie batter, but even thicker.

Luckily, it is the perfect consistency for dipping a spoon in mid-mix. And eating it by the cup-full.

I have serious nibbling issues mid-bake. Please help.

(But don’t really help, because secretly I like it.)

Once these cookies came out of the oven and cooled, my husband I are were scarfing them down like hungry, hungry hippos.

They are so light and airy that you can eat 3 or 4 and still want more. Or 6 or 7. Or 18.

(In related chocolate news, I finally tried that Vosges chocolate bacon bar that so many of you have been asking me about. I figured I would be a fan since it contains the primary food group in my life – pork. It was pretty fantastic. I am a bacon hussy.)

The inside of the cookies are gooey and soft, while the outside has a crispy, flaky later reminiscent of a meringue.

Chocolate Chewy Cookies

adapted from bakespace

12 oz powdered sugar

2 oz organic cocoa

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 egg whites

1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.

Stir dry ingredients together in a stand mixer. Turn mixer on low and add egg whites one at a time – the batter will be very dry until the last egg white. Add vanilla and turn mixer on high for 2 minutes. This may take longer depending on your mixer, but you want a thicker batter with soft peaks.

Spoon batter onto a cook sheet. Bake for 15 minutes and let cool before removing.

See that chocolately, gooey goodness inside? Make some of these cookies today. And give them a lot of lovin’.

137 Responses to “Chocolate Chewies.”

april — January 28, 2010 @ 7:27 am

Holy yum!! Maybe I should make those since you said 1 is never enough and I’m trying to increase my calories huh??

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 28, 2010 @ 7:28 am

Oh my gosh– those look SO good!!!

Hey, I saw that you’re going to fit bloggin’!!! I’ll be there too! Can’t wait to meet in ‘real life.’ :-)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 28, 2010 @ 7:34 am

bacon hussy made me laugh out loud for at least 3 minutes :)

i am thinking i’ll make these tonight for office goodies tomorrow :)

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — January 28, 2010 @ 7:37 am

Yum! I like how there are so few ingredients in this cookie recipe….my kind:)

TinaFromTexas — January 28, 2010 @ 7:39 am

Chocolate chewies from Whole Foods ARE amazing! Thanks for the recipe! Also, your husband’s post was hilarious! You two have the same sense of humor for sure.

Kat — January 28, 2010 @ 7:40 am

Definitely picking up these ingredients next time at the grocery store. Yum!

Kat — January 28, 2010 @ 7:51 am

Oh these look delish! I know what cookies I am making next!

Jenna @ Health and Happiness — January 28, 2010 @ 7:51 am

The ingredient list in the cookies is so short! I love it! I’ll definitely have to give these a try, it’s about time I made cookies for the neighbors!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — January 28, 2010 @ 7:51 am

Those are gorgeous!! I can’t believe they’re homemade!!

brandi — January 28, 2010 @ 8:06 am

these look amazing!

i’ve seen that bacon bar, but it was $8 at the only store that carries it here! So, we haven’t tried it yet.

megan — January 28, 2010 @ 8:12 am

not only have I never had chocolate chewies, but I’ve never even been to whole foods! I can’t wait to make these. they look incredible. and I am so with you on the tasting mid-recipe. I always feel sick after I make cookies, but I never learn because I like it so much! :)

Kelly B. — January 28, 2010 @ 8:15 am

Those look awesome…even better than Whole Foods!! :)

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle — January 28, 2010 @ 8:19 am

LOVE THESE!! Thanks for posting a recipe, I just had one last week from WF. MMM, I try to pretend they are good for me since they are made with egg whites and no white flour.

Katharine — January 28, 2010 @ 8:20 am

I’ve had these from Whole Foods and they are SO. GOOD. Having the recipe to make them at home is dangerous. ;)

Jessica — January 28, 2010 @ 8:21 am

How much batter for each cookie? Typical cookie size? These look fantastic!!

• Jessica — January 28th, 2010 @ 8:24 am

I did about a spoonful! They came out a little large, but wonderful.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 28, 2010 @ 8:25 am

I love those chocolate chewies from WF! I never new how easy they were to make :)

Shelley — January 28, 2010 @ 8:30 am

i LOVE chewy cookies- these sound awesomee

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — January 28, 2010 @ 8:30 am

I’ll definitely give these a try. You know, since the brownies FAILED. ;)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — January 28, 2010 @ 8:34 am

Yep, making those too… darn you Jess!
    P.S. The bacon bar is made here in Chicago, and a mini one came with our membership to the (wait for it) Bacon of the Month club! HOW FAB IS THAT?!

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — January 28, 2010 @ 8:55 am

Um these are my favorite cookies. Ever. I buy a bag at Whole Foods and they’re gone in a day. Sad but deliciously true. I’ve tried making them at home and adding walnuts – so yum. Need to try this recipe though! Um and buy another bag at the grocery…!

Kitchen Monki Dan — January 28, 2010 @ 8:57 am

remind me of large macaron top and bottoms..yum… double up.. yum, yum.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — January 28, 2010 @ 9:04 am

Uh oh. I have eaten a whole package of these from WF on my own in the matter of hours before. Having a recipe might be dangerous…

Pink Panda — January 28, 2010 @ 9:12 am

Hey, something I actually have the ingredients for. I’ll definitely be making these

The Candid RD — January 28, 2010 @ 9:13 am

ummm, yes please, I’ll have 10! These looks so good. Thanks for the recipe. The best part is that I can eat these (no wheat or other high fructose ingredients!!).

Karin — January 28, 2010 @ 9:25 am

Oh my god these look amazing!

Evan Thomas — January 28, 2010 @ 9:29 am

Why have I never seen these at whole foods? They sound amazing!

Linda — January 28, 2010 @ 9:34 am

Yum. Must go make now!

Haleigh — January 28, 2010 @ 9:35 am

Those chocolate chewies look amazing!!! Wow!

Meghan — January 28, 2010 @ 9:39 am

These look fantastic! I am totally going to make them soon. Can I sub regular Hershey’s cocoa powder for the organic cocoa?

Gabriela — January 28, 2010 @ 9:41 am

Oh wow these look great! I love how few ingredients there are!

Jessica @ Fit Chick Wannabe — January 28, 2010 @ 9:48 am

O.M.G. those cookies look ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. Yummmmmmmm. I am a chocoholic, and need to get in my chocolate fix every day – or I become a very cranky person lol

Nicole (dishin') — January 28, 2010 @ 9:50 am

Oh my! Delish! You must open a bakery and ship things to Boston :)

Mae @ OhhMay — January 28, 2010 @ 9:56 am

GAHHH! Do you think it will work if I put a piece of dark chocolate in the middle to melt in while cooking??
    I need to try this today. Seriously. Off to the kitchen!!
    PS I’m still looking for that stupid magazine. I know it’s around here somewhere!!

Mae @ OhhMay — January 28, 2010 @ 9:58 am

I need to try this today. Seriously. Off to the kitchen!!
    Do you know approx. how many this makes?

Anna — January 28, 2010 @ 10:20 am

I too have serious nibbling-while-baking issues. Truly one of the best ways to spend an afternoon…

And these look scrumptious!

Chrysta — January 28, 2010 @ 10:30 am

IM so excited about this recipe. I keep hearing about how good those chocolate chewies are from WF but the one near me doesnt carry them. Im gonna have to make these stat. Thanks for a fabulous recipe. I hope you are having a great day!

Erica — January 28, 2010 @ 10:41 am

Wow! Those sound wonderful. I bet the egg whites make them super light. I have not tried them from WFs because I’m afraid I’ll devour the entire container ;)

Nicole, RD — January 28, 2010 @ 10:49 am

Saving that recipe — they look delicious!!!!

Sami — January 28, 2010 @ 10:51 am

looks yummy! :) any idea what the nutritionals look like for these gems? :)

• Jessica — January 28th, 2010 @ 10:54 am

Oh dear. I don’t know, nor do I want to know. :) But I use calorie king and you can plug the ingredients in and divide by the number of servings if you’d like!

Barbara — January 28, 2010 @ 10:54 am

Chocolate Chewies? I am ashamed to admit, as a Whole Foods lover, I had never heard of them. I am rarely in their baking dept. Guess I better check that out…..
    Copying the recipe now. I love cookies like this!

alex — January 28, 2010 @ 10:56 am

sweet baby jay-z these look amazing. i’ve never had them from wf, most often because I avoid the baked goods area like a recovering drug addict avoids alleyways. No good thing can come of it.

I know where i am headed after work. and if wf lets me down, i’ll get ingred. to make them myself!

Blond Duck — January 28, 2010 @ 11:08 am

“I am a bacon hussy.” Best quote ever.

Rachel — January 28, 2010 @ 11:24 am

Drooling on your blog as I type.

Maria — January 28, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

I want to try these! mmm!

One Healthy Apple — January 28, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

What makes those cookies so shiny and glossy? Mine don’t ever look like that! Did you airbrush them?

Mae @ OhhMay — January 28, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

Mine didn’t look as perfect as yours but I stuffed half with peanut butter and half with chocolate chips.
    Thank you for this recipe, they’re almost all gone!! :-P

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) — January 28, 2010 @ 12:56 pm

K, I would like to eat my page right now. Although I cant consume em, these look fabulous. Im gonna make a bunch of goodies for my students for V-Day.. these would be perfect.. the kiddos would die.

Morgan — January 28, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

holy amazingness

Low — January 28, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

I’ve never had chocolate chewies because I have no Whole Foods :( Many tears.

Courtney — January 28, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

I know what I’m doing tonight…

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Fill Me Up: Chewy Peanut Butter Cup! « Ohh May…

2. Pingback: An Unimportant Decision « Heather's Dish

3. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: Bringing Pumpkin Back « A Chocolate Covered To-Do List

4. Pingback: The Snow Day and the Liquid Cookie | The Happiness in Health