Hey!

Lookin’ a little different ’round here! I am still working out some kinks and trying to get the blog more organized, but a HUGE thanks goes out to Seth from Boy Meets Food for jazzing my site up.

I know you must be thinking… ‘another boring red velvet cake recipe?’

Not quite.

I can assure you that is one of the best red velvet cakes I have ever had. In fact, it is the best. And it is pretty simple, too.

This recipe comes from a family friend who is famous for this red velvet cake. We have dubbed her ‘Pretty Patty,’ because . . . well, she is gorgeous and just the sweetest soul. She is also an incredible baker. She is probably one of the people who has influenced my love of baking.

She has made this cake for all of our birthdays, graduation parties, and other spectacular events. ‘Round these parts, our graduation parties were larger than my wedding. Which was large.

Does that make us trashy? Maybe. But we know how to party.

I love the color of the batter. It compliments my love of glitter and sparkles.

I guess it could also make me appear flaky and immature. Either way, pink batter makes me happy. And it stains my hands.

My first 3 attempts at this cake failed miserably. It was actually pretty humorous – one day I will share the photos. Luckly, I have learned to calm my drama-queen attitude down.

I now leave the drama queen behavior up to my husband. He has mastered that art.

I used 2 mini cake pans – about 4 inches around. This way, we had a cute, tiny cake to eat, and I was able to fit into my pants the next few days. Thank goodness for small pans.

5 layers of pure deliciousness. Amazing…

Cream cheese frosting is the only icing that I truly love. I don’t think a red velvet cake is complete without cream cheese frosting.

Neither is my life. That’s why I eat it so often.

My friend, Caitlin, has never had red velvet cake. Caitlin, this is a sin. Come over now so I can fatten you up.

Red Velvet Cake

3/4 cup shortening

2 1/2 cups sugar

3 eggs

3 tablespoon cocoa

3 tablespoon red food coloring

3 cups cake flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cup buttermilk

1 1/3 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 tablespoon vinegar

1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour cake pan/pans.

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs. Slowly add cocoa and food coloring. Soft together cake flour and salt. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk beginning and ending with flour. Add in vanilla and beat for 2 minutes.

Mix baking soda and vinegar together. Add and stir until combined.

Bake for 30 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting

3-8oz blocks of cream cheese

1 stick of butter, softened

1/2 tablespoon vanilla

~ 16 oz powdered sugar (1 bag)

Cream butter and cream cheese. Add in vanilla. Gradually stir in powdered sugar until the frosting reaches desired consistency.

This cake is moist and full of light flavor. Sure, red velvet cake may just be good ‘old chocolate cake, but I love complicating things.

I guess I still have a little diva left in me.

119 Responses to “Red Velvet Cake.”

Maria — January 20, 2010 @ 7:31 am

I love how bright red the cake is. Perfect for Valentines Day!

katie — January 20, 2010 @ 7:32 am

JESSICA this looks freaking AMAZING!
    i love your new look!! the about me page is so awesome!!
    you are absolutely beautiful!
    and so sweet, with such a great heart, and it shines through!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — January 20, 2010 @ 7:32 am

I love everything about red velvet cake! So pretty and tasty!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — January 20, 2010 @ 7:34 am

The site looks great!!! That cake looks sinful! I love it!! I’m going to be 20 pounds heavier when my husband gets back from deployment if you keep posting things that make my mouth water!! ;)

Cindy Coniglio — January 20, 2010 @ 7:35 am

REALLY????????????????????? DO YOU HATE ME???????????????????
    Omg… I have to stop looking at your blog. By the way. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE the NEW LOOK! But I already text you that at 7:45 am… hehe… Miss you :(

Amanda — January 20, 2010 @ 7:48 am

I WANT that recipe!!!

Great job on the design Jessica! Although I was first attracted to your blog because of its simple elegance (I love white) and am loving this just as much! It fits your amazing and hilarious personality!

God bless-
    Amanda

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — January 20, 2010 @ 7:50 am

I can’t wait to try this!! The only red velvet cake that I tried from scratch required vinegar, and turned out to be a total disaster. Maybe the vinegar isn’t all that unusual, but this cake was not right.

I should bake something today..

Mellissa — January 20, 2010 @ 7:53 am

I have never had Red Velvet Cake either! Since I am allergic to cream cheese I can never eat it :(

Abby — January 20, 2010 @ 7:54 am

We need to throw Caitlin a red velvet party!! And, yes, my wedding cake was red velvet. :)

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — January 20, 2010 @ 7:59 am

love the new site!!! it looks awesome – just like that cake. :D

Scorpio Woman — January 20, 2010 @ 8:01 am

Me too I never had red velvet cake. This is something I might try to do for Valentine’s Day. Great idea :) And I love cream cheese icing mmmmm Great photos :)

Paige (running around normal) — January 20, 2010 @ 8:22 am

I LOVE the new color scheme! The whole theme is very unique. And you look GORG in your sidebar picture, too.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — January 20, 2010 @ 8:25 am

LOVE the new look, and that cake is so reminiscent of our wedding cake!! Hope you can use the header I made you :)

Julie @savvyeats — January 20, 2010 @ 8:30 am

Such a pretty color! I’ve only ever had box-mix red velvet cake, so I’ll have to try the real deal!

Morgan — January 20, 2010 @ 8:32 am

Loving the new look!

Jessica — January 20, 2010 @ 8:35 am

Love the site and love the cake!! Can’t wait to see the recipe. I have had red velvet cake but have never made it. My family will love me even more once I make it :)

Christie @ Honoring Health — January 20, 2010 @ 8:36 am

Wow, the site looks great!

Fred @ Sabor à Dois — January 20, 2010 @ 8:37 am

Love the new look of your site!

I’ll try to do this delicious cake!!!!

adrienmelaine — January 20, 2010 @ 8:42 am

Oh my god, that cake looks amazing!

Lucky boyfriend of mine may just get it on V-Day!

Love your blog!

Ally (Sweet & Savory) — January 20, 2010 @ 8:46 am

Love your new site design and I love red velvet cake, but have never made it! I’ll be looking forward to you posting the recipe!

megan — January 20, 2010 @ 8:48 am

I love the new look of your site! At first I thought I typed in the address wrong! It fits your personality perfectly :)

And I don’t like red velvet cake at all, but your descriptions and pictures make me want to re-think that! And I do love pink batter :)

Haleigh — January 20, 2010 @ 8:49 am

Fantastic!! The red velvet cake looks beautiful. If it tastes half as good as it looks then I am sure it is a huge hit!

MelissaNibbles — January 20, 2010 @ 8:50 am

Red velvet is my favorite cake. I bake it for my boyfriend every year on his birthday. I look forward to it more than he does!
    Love the new layout!

Katharine — January 20, 2010 @ 8:51 am

This is my all-time favorite cake EVER. So jealous right now. :)

Erica — January 20, 2010 @ 8:53 am

Love the new look!!!! So fun. The black background really makes everything pop right off the page. And I’m obviously drooling over the cake!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — January 20, 2010 @ 9:08 am

Love the new look! I am dying for that recipe! Red velvet cake is hands down my favorite!

Tina — January 20, 2010 @ 9:19 am

I love the new look! It’s great!! And I adore red velvet cake. For the longest time that was the only cake I would eat at all. Now, I like all cake as long as its moist…and has gooey frosting, which of course cream cheese is the best!

Stephanie — January 20, 2010 @ 9:20 am

I love the new look of the site, it’s great!! I also love red velvet cake, quite possibly more than I will love my first born — no, I kid I kid of course! But seriously, my best friend makes these red velvet cupcakes that are too die for and she is not allowed to visit my house unless she brings them haha…. I keep a stash in the freezer and eat them for days bc I’m weird and love frozen cake?!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 20, 2010 @ 9:20 am

red velvet is my favorite, hands down. i LOVE the new look too! so cute and, well, sweet :)

janetha b — January 20, 2010 @ 9:23 am

SUCH a cute layout. i LOVE it!!! thanks for mentioning it because i don’t always click out of my reader when i read blogs. i am so into this! so cute!!

okay, red velvet can never get old. these photos made me want to lick my screen! i grew up eating red velvet, my mom has the best recipe that she got from HER mom, kind of a generational tradition. mmmm. so good, so bad ;)

have a great wednesday, love!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 20, 2010 @ 9:23 am

LOVE the look of your new site! Did you switch over to wordpress.org, or were you able to reformat your old blog without switching? I’m a little confused on how all that works…

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 20, 2010 @ 9:24 am

Oh, and the cake looks divine!! I’m a huge fan of red velvet cakes!

Gabriela — January 20, 2010 @ 9:46 am

Oh my goodness that looks INSANE! Red velvet is delicious…I agree, there’s nothing better than pink cake batter :)

The Candid RD — January 20, 2010 @ 9:47 am

SHUT UP!!! This is my DREAM cake! Ok, other than carrot. I want this for my wedding, will you make it?! hehe. It looks fantastic. Speaking of fantastic, I LOVE the new look of your blog. I’m contacting this guy in March (Boy Meets Food) for my one year blogaversary. I’m excited to see what he can do! AND, I love the new picture, you look stunning!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 20, 2010 @ 9:50 am

What a gorgeous looking cake! Any your new site…. I LOVE IT! So pretty :)

Jenna@ Health and Happiness — January 20, 2010 @ 9:52 am

I’m loving red velvet right now! I just saw a recipe for red velvet pancakes the other day. All these recipes are perfect for Valentine’s Day!

Nicci@NiftyEats — January 20, 2010 @ 10:00 am

Red Velvet and Carrot cake are m favorite cakes in the world. Thsi Red Velvet looks so good.

Oh, and i love the new layout.

Mrs. Southern Bride — January 20, 2010 @ 10:09 am

WOW…that cake looks to DIE for!! I just love red velvet! :)

Evan Thomas — January 20, 2010 @ 10:17 am

All that cream cheese frosting makes me VERY happy

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — January 20, 2010 @ 10:17 am

LOVE the new site! The brown and pink color combination is really cute!

Yum Yucky — January 20, 2010 @ 10:19 am

oh gawsh. My taste buds just exploded in a greedy desire to nosh on this cake. Let me at it!!

Kelly B. — January 20, 2010 @ 10:35 am

Love the new site Jess!!! SO COOL!

Jackie @ TriToLose — January 20, 2010 @ 10:54 am

Oooooo…. :) I’ve been looking for a good red velvet cake recipe. I’ve tried a few and they weren’t as good as the box mix (I hate using box mixes – but if they’re really good, I’ll use them). I’ve had a lot of issues with previous recipes. I look forward to reading yours. :)

Jackie
    tritolose.wordpress.com

Amy @ Cheerful Cookery — January 20, 2010 @ 11:00 am

Any cake with cream cheese frosting is wonderful in my book! You don’t even really need to post the cake recipe – maybe I’ll just make the frosting and eat it with a spoon. Love that you sliced the layers to better distribute the frosting throughout the cake – I hate layer cakes with just one big vein of frosting through the center. They require too much rationing work from me. And I think I’ve just revealed the extent of my laziness AND my anal retentiveness about food…

Julie Size — January 20, 2010 @ 11:15 am

YUMMO! My stomach growled when I read this post!

Julie

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 20, 2010 @ 11:21 am

OMG your blog makeover is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The colors are beautiful, the text is readable and the perfect font AND size. I know you and I are detail oriented and i am sure you spent hours deciding on things…and you did an awesome job on it!!!! Wow. It’s beautiful, JEssica!

And the R.V. Cake is too good looking words!

Comment yesterday on my blog re you and I being able to chat for hours…TOTALLY!!!!!!!!!!! On everything from blogging honestly, how open to be to awesome desserts to working out…wish we lived closer!!!!!!
    oxox

Dandy — January 20, 2010 @ 11:22 am

That looks fantastic! I’m a little scared of all the layers but I think I have to get past that :)

Jenny — January 20, 2010 @ 11:44 am

The new site design looks terrific, and what a wonderful looking cake to boot. Congratulations on the new look!

One Healthy Apple — January 20, 2010 @ 11:47 am

I love, love, love the new site! Cupcakes make my heart happy :)

I will one day master the red velvet and kick those box mixes!
    I’m so excited to explore the new site!

Emily (A Nutritionisteats) — January 20, 2010 @ 11:51 am

Red velvet may be one of the prettiest cakes ever!
    Love the new look!