If you want to relive your childhood, have one of these bars. They are basically a peanut butter and jelly explosion.

I binged on peanut butter and jelly in my preschool and kindergarten years. For years after, any combination of peanut butter + jelly was extremely unappealing.

I grew out of that phase at some point in highschool, rediscovering that joy that is peanut butter and jelly.

And then I rediscovered it again last night. Just check out how stacked these bars are.

The thick peanut butter layer on the bottom just melts in your mouth.

These bars are not for the faint of heart. You have to love peanut butter.

Mr. How Sweet agreed – they are super peanut-buttery. After we both decided that they were only ‘ok,’ we each closet-ate about 3 more bars.

When Mr. How Sweet is in the kitchen and I cannot hear a peep, I know he is shoveling cookies into his mouth while standing over the sink. He usually is also chugging some diet coke.

At that point I love to ask ‘what the heck are you doing in there that you are so quiet?!’ To which I know he cannot respond since he has a mouthful of cookies.

‘Twas the situation last night, but I joined in on the fun.

The final verdict? These bars are amazing.

At first we thought they may need more jelly, but after multiple tastings, we decided that they have the perfect amount.

A third of the dough gets crumbled on top of the jelly before baking, which gives the dense bar a nice crumbly top.

Topped with a sprinkling of peanuts, this bar is a must-have.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars

from Martha Stewart

2 sticks butter, softened

3 cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

2 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups jam (I used grape)

1 cup peanuts

Preheat oven to 350.

Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan – I used Pam baking spray and it worked perfectly.

Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs and peanut butter until combined, about 2 minutes. Whisk together dry ingredients, adding to the butter mixture until just combined. Add vanilla.

Transfer two-thirds of mixture into baking dish, spreading evenly. Top with jam and spread to coat peanut butter mixture. Crumble remaining peanut butter mix on top. Sprinkle peanuts on top.

Bake until golden brown, 45-60 minutes. I baked for 45, tenting with foil after 20 minutes since the top was getting brown. Allow to cool for a few hours before cutting.

If you have a chance this week, give these bars a try. I think kids would love them, but I don’t know much about kids besides the lack of patience I have for them.

I know Mr. How Sweet loved them, and he is kind of like a big kid.

Luckily, I didn’t have to worry about peanut butter crumble crumbs getting stuck in his moustache, because he shaved it.

I went against every single thing I believe in and posted a picture. Hope you have a strong stomach.

77 Responses to “Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars.”

Alison — March 15, 2010 @ 3:11 pm

Basically I already added the ingredients to my grocery list for Wednesday:-) Also – is there a difference between jam and jelly? I guess I’ll have to google that.

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition — March 15, 2010 @ 3:24 pm

Those bars look incredible!! I went through the same phase! Had it too much when I was a child and then rediscovered pb&j as a classic years later!

Low — March 15, 2010 @ 4:17 pm

Haha, the good part about living alone is that no one knows when you’re shoving your face over the sink :) They look fabulous.

katie — March 15, 2010 @ 5:27 pm

no words to describe how GOOD THOSE LOOK Jess!!

Jessica @ Fit and Clean — March 15, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

OMG, those bars look SO AMAZING. I am a big sweets person, and they looked awesome! I checked out the ‘stache pic, too…yeah, I gotta say, I agree with you. 100%! It reminds me of the time that my husband grew a goatee…uh, NOT SO MUCH, LOL! Ugh. Have a great day!!!

RhodeyGirl — March 15, 2010 @ 6:02 pm

I literally CAN’T look at your site when I’m craving sweets. It just isn’t right. I can’t deal!!!!! I want one please and thanks.

Jenny — March 15, 2010 @ 6:20 pm

Another great one to add to the recipe books!

Amazing!!

P.S. – You are gorg!!

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) — March 15, 2010 @ 6:30 pm

Wowowow! My mouth is watering :o These look so good! Funny thing is, I didn’t care for PB&J when I was little. Probably because my parents only bought chunky PB and that combined with whole wheat bread was very dry. However, now I LOVE it and it’s dryness. hehe :D

Jenn

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 15, 2010 @ 6:41 pm

My hubby would love those!

pen — March 15, 2010 @ 7:12 pm

HOLY YUM. i must make those asap.

Melissa — March 15, 2010 @ 7:25 pm

So I’m going through my list of food blogs and I see this totally delish looking recipe, and then I move on to Picky-palate.com and I realize that it was PB&J day because she posted a PB&J recipe too! :) Yummmmmmmm!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — March 15, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

He shaved it!!! Yay!!! and girl, those bars look awesome! I’m a huge PB lover… so I think I can handle them ;)

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} — March 15, 2010 @ 9:36 pm

Oh they look delicious! I made peanut butter and jelly cupcakes a while back and they were a huge hit. This recipe is a keeper, I’m so glad you shared!

Jessica — March 15, 2010 @ 10:16 pm

Wow, i can just imagine how melt in your mouth these are. How do you eat such indulgent baked goodies and stay so fit Jess? From one Jess to another, what’s your secret?!? :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 15, 2010 @ 11:37 pm

OMG Jessica sorry it’s taken me all day to get here but glad i did :) THe dense-ness of the bottom layer would be all i would need to scream with delight :)

The Paris Food Blague — March 16, 2010 @ 4:08 am

ah looks gorgeous……i love pb&j it has the taste of childhood

a bientot
    the paris food blague

Fit Chick in the City — March 16, 2010 @ 4:29 am

Those look so so good! Why did I come here pre-breakfast?

Gena — March 16, 2010 @ 5:00 am

One of your most photogenic treats EVER. Yum!!!

marla {family fresh cooking} — March 16, 2010 @ 6:24 am

These bars are heavenly! I am a PB addict and have a huge sweet tooth (teeth)
    So wish I was going to the FitBloggin conf this weekend…I love watching the tweets build excitement for the event! U guys will have a blast. Are you going to BlogHer food in October?? I’ll be there.

Lychee — March 16, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

These bar cookies look delicious! I’ve had a very similar recipe bookmarked for a long time. Perhaps, you have inspired me to go ahead and make it ;)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — March 17, 2010 @ 5:13 am

I love you. Every single bite.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — March 17, 2010 @ 8:33 pm

Very fun… These are a “lunch” food… right? ;)

janetha — July 1, 2010 @ 3:03 pm

kristie linked to these today. must make them soon!

Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes — January 5, 2011 @ 10:48 pm

How have I missed these glorious things? I’ve been wanting to try a recipe for PB&J cookies in my Pastry Queen cookbook, but these are giving those a run for their money! Happy New Year to you!

Nicole — May 25, 2012 @ 8:54 am

made these last night to bring into work today and everyone loves them!!! they’re soooo good, thanks!!

Stacey — August 14, 2014 @ 2:44 pm

I have a batch in the oven right now and it smells yummy. I used homemade CherryBerry Fruit Spread.

1. Pingback: Canada D-Eh « Lighter Portions