These are a fabulous, heart-healthy replacement for the usual, artery-clogging blueberry muffin.

I’m all for clogged arteries and everything, but sometimes eating a fruity whole wheat muffin just makes me feel better.

Clearly, I am suffering from a muffin-making binge. After those coconut-banana muffins, I just had to make some more. I think they were tastier than any other muffin I’ve ever tried.

Until these.

There is nothing like a warm blueberry muffin.

Except a warm blueberry muffin loaded with strawberries.

There are specific mornings that just call for muffins.

Mornings when you wake up to your husband vacuuming and clanging dishes loudly because his OCD has taken over. At 5am.

(Hey, someone has to clean.)

Mornings where you step on 16 dyecast Nascar cars before making it out of your bedroom and screaming more obscenities than ever thought possible. It’s not just kids that leave toy cars on the floor.

Mornings when your house smells so strongly of wet grass you may vomit, because your husband decided to cut the lawn immediately following a torrential downpour. He likes the scent of wet grass because it smells like hay. Hay! Why would I want my house smelling like a farm?

Mornings when I’m starving and the only cure for my starvation is bacon. And our home is sans bacon. It’s a sin people. A sin.

Those are muffin mornings.

Very Berry Whole Wheat Muffins

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/3 cup canola oil

1 egg

1/2 cup strawberries, chopped

1/2 cup blueberries

1/4-1/2 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons raw turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 400.

Mix flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. Add canola oil, 1/4 cup milk, vanilla, and eggs, and mix until combined. If your dough is very thick, add the rest of the milk. Fold in blueberries and strawberries. Top with a sprinkling of raw turbinado sugar.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Right about now, Mr. How Sweet is staring at his computer screen is disarray. I didn’t tell him about the muffins.

85 Responses to “Very Berry Whole Wheat Muffins.”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — April 27, 2010 @ 6:19 am

Muffins are my favorite food to make :)

These look heavenly!

Diana — April 27, 2010 @ 6:19 am

Those look amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever had a blueberry muffin! Actually, I very rarely find blueberries on the market. Next time I do, I’ll probably buy them and make something fabulous. Like muffins or pancakes. :)

Erica — April 27, 2010 @ 6:20 am

mmm berries bursting in baking…you know how much I love that. I want one :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 27, 2010 @ 6:20 am

Ohhh, to wake up to my husband cleaning at 5 am. Sigh.

Love the raw sugar sprinkled on the top!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — April 27, 2010 @ 6:21 am

Oh those look tasty! I love berry muffins. I am way more of a muffin girl than a bread girl! I am working on a gluten free strawberry bread today for my mom. We will see how that one turns out? Have a great day Jess!

Jessica — April 27, 2010 @ 6:28 am

Jessica,

I have been following your site for quite some time; I absolutely adore it!
    Your recipes are so much fun to make (and eat) and your energy is contagious!

Thank you for putting so much work into your blog – it truely is fantastic!

• Jessica — April 27th, 2010 @ 6:41 am

Thank you so much! That means a lot.

What kind of whole wheat do you use and what brand? Your muffins and everything looks so good and fluffy.

• Jessica — April 27th, 2010 @ 6:41 am

I think it’s Kind Arthur? I am not positive so I will check. It’s the baking powder!!

(And the lighting probably helps them look light in color. ;))

Megan — April 27, 2010 @ 6:50 am

I was going to make banana blueberry muffins, but these look so much better! I guess I’d better go buy some strawberries.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — April 27, 2010 @ 7:01 am

Once again rolling on the floor laughing. Those muffins look great but I gotta say that YOU and your wittiness stole were the star of this post!

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — April 27, 2010 @ 7:14 am

Yum, I love muffins. These look pretty close to perfection! :)

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) — April 27, 2010 @ 7:15 am

Those are excellent reasons to make muffins. :D They don’t even look like they are whole wheat, very nice!! I love moist, sweet blueberry muffins.

Jenn

Wei-Wei — April 27, 2010 @ 7:22 am

Holy yumyumyumyumyumyumYUMMMM! Those muffins look GORGEOUS! I absolutely must make this sometime… I just can’t resist fresh fruits and berries, ESPECIALLY when baked into muffins! :D

Wei-Wei

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 27, 2010 @ 7:40 am

nothin’ wrong with a whole wheat berry muffin :) it makes it so you can have some bacon later in the week, right?

Tracy — April 27, 2010 @ 7:43 am

Mmm, these look delicious! I’ve been wanting to try some of my muffin recipes with whole wheat.

Lele — April 27, 2010 @ 7:46 am

Hahaha I am what I call a “stress baker” and clearly you are too!

Jil — April 27, 2010 @ 7:48 am

These look amazing. You’ve seriously inspired me to bake…I haven’t in so long!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — April 27, 2010 @ 7:57 am

hahaha you didn’t tell him about the muffins, too cute!! these look So good! i love the turbinado sugar on top!

I bet warmed up with some buttahhhh these would be perfect any time of day!

adrienmelaine — April 27, 2010 @ 8:21 am

Can I please come move in with you? Minus the ridiculous morning- but with all the muffins?! please! haha

Midgetkeeper — April 27, 2010 @ 8:23 am

I adore muffins, these look fantastic and you crack me up.

Kat — April 27, 2010 @ 8:23 am

Those look amazing. I think my kids would love them too. Will have to look for that sugar. Thanks for the recipe!

Blond Duck — April 27, 2010 @ 8:36 am

I want a muffin.

My Delicious — April 27, 2010 @ 8:41 am

what a sweet photos! so retro!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — April 27, 2010 @ 8:45 am

I definitely picture Mr. How Sweet sprinting into the house every night and checking the fridge and cupboards to see what goodies you made that day…

Sandy — April 27, 2010 @ 8:48 am

omg these look sooo delicious and healthy b/c its whole wheat and it has fruit!!! i need to try these out sometime!!

Ashley — April 27, 2010 @ 9:00 am

bahahaa LOL to this post!!! I love how you bake all these things and mr.howsweet is like “huh? when did that happen?” He sounds so hilarious with the wet grass + vacuuming at 5am..if my huz ever vacuumed at 5am I would take him to the hospital because there would definitely be something wrong with him! xo

megan — April 27, 2010 @ 9:00 am

I want a muffin too. Can The Blond Duck and I come over?

• Jessica — April 27th, 2010 @ 9:19 am

Yes, please! :)

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — April 27, 2010 @ 9:24 am

mmmm I love having muffins for breakfast but rarely have the time to make them in the morning.

Margarita — April 27, 2010 @ 9:28 am

I have an overabundance of strawberries, blackberries and raspberries in my house. And since I’m on a diet I’m freezing them all and making these muffins when I’m done :)

Steph — April 27, 2010 @ 9:29 am

You are hilarious! I agree, most blueberry muffins are artery clogging. Eating whole wheat doesn`t make me feel any better though because I end up eating way too many muffins when they are healthy. In the end, it all works out to be the same, haha.

roxan — April 27, 2010 @ 9:30 am

I love that you use whole wheat in your baking. I do that as often as possible also.

Camille — April 27, 2010 @ 9:34 am

Mm, there’s nothing like a good muffin :)
    I wish my boyfriend had MORE ocd and would occasionally clean the house… you lucky girl :)

Kacy — April 27, 2010 @ 10:12 am

Those are so pretty!

And honestly, I don’t get the whole mowing thing period. Why don’t we just have front and back meadows? Meadow is a prettier word than yard. And meadows require less work. If we could have meadows, I would buy a house.

Jenna — April 27, 2010 @ 10:23 am

These muffins appear to have some lovely ‘muffin tops’. I am drooling over these babies. Enough said.

PippaPatchwork — April 27, 2010 @ 10:45 am

Ah, those look divine! My fiance lives for anything with berries in it so I’ll have to make them this weekend. Love the whole wheat ;)

Melinda — April 27, 2010 @ 11:13 am

These look so good. I think you are putting me into a muffin mood. I may have to get to some muffin making this weekend, if not sooner.

Simply Life — April 27, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

I’d love to start my day out with those!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — April 27, 2010 @ 12:26 pm

YUMMMY!!! I think I need to make these ASAP! :-D They look delicious!

Erica — April 27, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

Your blog is taking up my bookmark bar on my computer. I have like ten recipes of yours on there now. Can’t wait to try this one as well. And I love the fact that you love bacon so much. You and my sister would get along great. She puts bacon in a snack size bag and calls it 100 calorie packs of bacon haha :)

• Jessica — April 27th, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

LOL! I love her already.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — April 27, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

Every morning is a muffin morning for me, I just cant seem to kick the habit…or rather want to kick the habit! I love blueberry and strawberries combined in muffins. yum!

Oonafey @ Little Pink Houses — April 27, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

I will definitely be making these this weekend! Yum!

Nicole, RD — April 27, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

Yummmmm! Save!

I forgot the buttermilk for that chicken recipe down there! I bought the chicken last night though, gotta head back for the buttermilk ;)

homecookedem — April 27, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

Gorgeous muffins!! I love it when berries get all warm and soft, so lovely!! And too funny that your husband gets early morning OCD! That’s totally what I’m doing at 5am most mornings while my husband lies in bed rolling his eyes, haha!!

Biz — April 27, 2010 @ 2:02 pm

Ha! That reminded me of the time that I came home for work and hubs asked what was for dinner. I shouted “quinoa meatballs and spaghetti squash!” He just laughed – I thought he was laughing at the t.v.

I bring in his dinner, he takes one look at it, and goes to the computer to tweet: “My wife said we were having quinoa meatballs and spaghetti squash for dinner. I thought she was joking. She wasn’t!”

Lisa — April 27, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

ooooh they look GOOD!! Blueberry muffins are Mr BBB’s favourite so I may have to make some for him :)

Melissa @ For the Love of Health — April 27, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

mmm nothing beats a good muffin-they look amazing!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 27, 2010 @ 3:46 pm

Is that a whole chunk of strawberry in that muffin!!!!??? Hello!!!!! You should be making muffins for all the crappy coffee shops out there that sell dried up, crusty, nasty muffins. Yours look GOOD!!!!!

Tara @ Food for Fuel — April 27, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

Hi Jessica!
    I just stumbled across your blog and I LOVE it! I can’t believe I haven’t visited before. Definitely just printed off a good 20+ recipes of yours and can’t wait to start trying them!
    These muffins look awesome by the way—added to list :)
    Can’t wait to see what comes next!

Fit Chick in the City — April 27, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

Be careful, those matchbox cars can be dangerous. =) Love a berry muffin!

One Healthy Apple — April 27, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

I love muffins- I used to eat those gigantor Costco muffins as a snack! It was awesome and I wish I could do that now too!

I’m the one in my house who leaves toys around, but they are shoes.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — April 27, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

oh the delicate nature of these just looks perfect..and the raw/chunky sugar on them…nice!

xoxo

1. Pingback: Blueberry Soup. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Hypocrite | Lily's Health Pad

3. Pingback: Engagemoon « Pippa Patchwork

4. Pingback: Hot or Cold: The Leftover Pizza Debate « Kitchen Kaits Healthy Plate

5. Pingback: Miss Chubby Hubby » Blog Archive » Up and At ‘Em

6. Pingback: M.I.A. | ReciPeas & Musings

7. Pingback: Muffin Monday « I'm An Okie

8. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #10 – Very Berry Whole Wheat Muffins « Ella Rose Entertaining

9. Pingback: Mixed Berry Muffins «