I will warn you – I am a slave to pop music. If it makes your ears bleed, you may as well leave here and go enjoy a smoothie.

Mr. How Sweet and I each have 10 years of downloaded music, plus hundreds of CD’s. That’s a lot of music.

If you haven’t already figured it out, I get bored quite easily. I always am in need of new music to complete my cardio workouts.

Lifting is a different animal. I can put my entire iPod on shuffle, and listen to whatever comes on, be it Sinatra, Kenny Loggins, or any other old-granny-music that I normally listen to.

And yes, I am that person that puts my iPod on ‘shuffle,’ then forwards through 20 songs until I come to one that I really want to listen to. I then repeat that for the next 30 minutes.

Here is the playlist that is getting me through my early workouts these days:

Rock This Party (Everybody Dance Now) by Western Dream

Billie Jean by Michael Jackson

Don’t Trust Me by 3OH!3

Dancefloor by Kylie Minogue

Greenlight Remix by Beyonce (from my Bodyjam CD)

Get Me Bodied by Beyonce

Rude Boy by Rhianna

Carry Out by Timabaland + J. Timberlake

Break Your Heart by Taio Cruz

Took The Night by Chelley

Pump Up the Volume (remix) by Colourbox

Now You See It by Honorebel

This will change in 2.2 seconds.

22 Responses to “Fitness Kick Start: My Ultimate Playlist.”

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — May 11, 2010 @ 4:57 pm

I love just about every song on here. I don’t know why but I don’t usually listen to music when I lift, just while doing cardio, but I think I should start!

Wei-Wei — May 11, 2010 @ 5:01 pm

Awesome songs! Don’t be ashamed of pop music – I find that it’s probably the most effective and energizing for workouts. They’re popular for a reason – catchy, strong beats, etc. :D

Wei-Wei

One Healthy Apple — May 11, 2010 @ 5:03 pm

Love it! Sometimes I am playing something so bad I take my headphones off just to make sure that I am the only one hearing it :)
    It’s not my fault 90s rap makes me run faster.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 11, 2010 @ 5:04 pm

is it bad that i’m copying and pasting this entire list so that i can download all the songs i don’t already have? i mean, it’s only like 3 of them, but still :)

Heather — May 11, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

something for you to picture.

at journeys, where i work part time, as you know
    we have these dvds that play on a loop
    we get a new one at the beginning of the month.

this is how i learn of new music and musical artists.
    go ahead. laugh first…just wait.

First time I heard Mika? Journeys DVD.
    Angel Taylor? Journeys DVD.
    Hot Chelle Ray? Journeys DVD.
    That AWESOME Keri/Neo/Kanye song, Knock You Down? Journeys DVD.

and you know that little Black Eyed Peas Song “Boom Boom Pow”? I didn’t actually know that it was the Black Eyed Peas until I saw the video on the DVD. I had heard the song before, but thought it was some other new band. oops.

usually what happens is after working a few times, a song i’d never heard before the DVD gets stuck in my head, i decide I LOVE the song, and need to download it ASAP. As a matter of fact, the first 7 dollars I spent EVER on Itunes – all from the journeys DVDs.

The first time I heard the Ting Ting’s “that’s not my name” was a year or so ago on a journeys DVD. And EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. it came on the dvd, i would dance around the store – walking sassily on the chairs, from one to another, and shaking my finger to say “oh, no. honey. oh, no. that is NOT my name.”

i want you to picture this.
    me.
    your uncoordinated blend.
    swaying my hips.
    jumping all around the store.
    hair a hott mess.
    in clothes that no doubt dont fit me, or the situation.
    shaking my finger at my store manager.
    my coworker.
    a customer.
    the security guard.
    THEY CALL ME QUIET GIRL. BUT IM A RIOT.
    every time the song came on. EVERY TIME.

now i would like you to picture this song coming on my playlist as I was racing a few weeks ago.

yeah. about that.

• Heather — May 11th, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

ps – when i first opened this window, no one else had commented yet. and i got SO EXCITED. would i be the first to comment on the post of the girl who is always first to comment!??!?!

of course not.
      i wrote a friggin novel and 4 people beat me to the punch.

Christy — May 11, 2010 @ 5:14 pm

Oooohhhh! i love a LOT of those songs! and agree, GREAT for cardio! :D

Katie — May 11, 2010 @ 6:03 pm

I cannot run without listening to Don’t Trust Me by 3OH!3 – it’s my absolute favorite workout song. For some odd reason, the line “Shush girl, shut your lips, do the Helen Keller and talk with hips” gets me INCREDIBLY fired up and I always kick up the speed. What does that say about me…?

Michelle @ H.E.R. — May 11, 2010 @ 6:29 pm

Haha..Love it! My fiancé hates riding in the car with me because I shuffle too much.

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — May 11, 2010 @ 6:48 pm

Love this list! Some of them are on my iPod workout list as we speak and I’m going to have to add a few of these…I’m in desperate need of a music change!

Jessica — May 11, 2010 @ 6:59 pm

Jessica! Thank you soo much for the music, some of it was entirely new to me. I cannot wait to go out for my next run now. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — May 11, 2010 @ 7:05 pm

love this one girl! THank you!
    not only is it a great playlist, I know we could take a road trip in a car together for a long time and agree on the tunes!

the last post…what are the odds that the 1st time ever that i post a smoothie post, you do one. great minds think alike :)

april — May 11, 2010 @ 7:23 pm

Hahahaha I was actually just thinking about doing a post of what I listen to- and I was laughing at myself because I do the exact same thing! When lifting I listen to country, hip hop, rock, just whatever! And I put it on shuffle but flip through it for about 5 minutes until the “perfect” song comes on! LOL

Low — May 11, 2010 @ 7:52 pm

I flip through dozens of songs too! And I pretty much never make playlists. I’m too lazy.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 11, 2010 @ 7:56 pm

I LOVE pop music for workouts! You’ve given me some good suggestions– thanks for the song ideas!!

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) — May 12, 2010 @ 1:38 am

Love the music. My favorite thing back when I was in the States was to make a new workout playlist every week. In Africa, new music is a bit hard to come by and I have been running/working out to the same songs on my shuffle almost every day for the last FIVE MONTHS. (I updated it over Christmas–It was the same songs for 15 months before that!) It is seriously depressing. This ish needs to stop. I need some new pop!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — May 12, 2010 @ 3:35 am

I’m not a pop music fan… except when I am running! I NEED upbeat tracks to keep me going, love this list!!

xo
    K

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — May 12, 2010 @ 4:31 am

I totally put my playlist on shuffle and keep hitting next and then when I find that perfect song, I repeat it for like 5 times. Glad to know I’m not the only one!

Amanda — May 12, 2010 @ 6:34 am

I recognize maybe one song on there.

I am so old.

Eunice — May 12, 2010 @ 11:11 am

Very pop-y list! I have a few of those on my playlist too…a few Ke$ha (even though she looks so greasy) and Beyonce. Here are some of mine, since you will need some new music in 2.2. seconds:

My Way- Usher
    Memories- David Guetta feat. Kid Cudi.
    Rompe- Daddy Yankee
    Wait- Chris Brown
    The Way You Make Me Feel- Michael Jackson
    Shawty Get Loose- Lil’ Mama feat. T-Pain and Chris Brown
    Drop It Low- Ester Dean feat. Chris Brown

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — May 12, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

I totally do the same thing–I need very specific fast tracks for my cardio and then whatever else for strength.

No need to apologize for your love of pop–I maintain that it’s a way of life ;)

Anne — May 13, 2010 @ 4:06 am

Great songs! I usually never listen to music while exercising, maybe because pop music and yoga do not go well together :D but I do listen to music when I go for long walks alone!