I was always the kid that left all of the grape popsicles in the freezer.

I ate around all of the lemon Starburst’s, jelly beans, and Jolly Ranchers.

I stole all of the Snickers bars out of my brothers’ Halloween candy, and the Cadbury Creme Eggs from their Easter baskets.

You could say I have a few favorites.

I have a thing for sweet, fruity flavors like strawberry-kiwi and mango-peach. I own way too many body lotions and lip glosses, all because of these flavors.

I don’t like plain ice cream. I can handle a vanilla cone with rainbow sprinkles, but I need triple the spinkles since I enjoy overdosing on them.

My ice cream must have chunks and swirls.

That has nothing to do with my thighs. I swear.

I am not plain vanilla.

I am not plain chocolate unless it is mixed with any of the following, including but not limited to peanut butter, sea salt, or bacon. Or all 3 at once.

Like most things in my life, I need some drama with my flavors.

I guess you could say I am partial to all things that smell fruity, sweet, and good enough to eat. Grape does not really smell nice. It smells gross.

It doesn’t rank up there with vegetables, but it is close.

While many of the flavors I enjoy are more complex, Mr. How Sweet likes to keep things simple.

Everytime I buy a candle, he requests that the scent is ‘orange or cherry.’

No, not amber glow, or mulled wine, or coconut vanilla.

Orange.

A good ole’ vanilla smoothie just doesn’t do it for me.

I need some more spice in my life – some more flavor.

So I added some citrus – some delicious, tangy lime – to this vanilla smoothie, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Vanilla Lime Smoothie

1/2 cup plain, greek yogurt

5-6 ice cubes

1/2 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

contents of 1/2 vanilla bean

juice of half a lime

1/4 teaspoon lime zest + more for garnish

optional: protein powder

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Top with lime zest and garnish with a wedge of lime.

Mr. How Sweet also wants you to know that his other favorite flavor is steak.

He’d like some steak-flavored candles and chap-stick, too.

If you come up with a steak-flavored chap-stick, he will be your new best friend. You can even come over and play with his dyecast cars, bobbleheads, and WWF figurines, too!

81 Responses to “Vanilla Lime Smoothie.”

Diana — May 11, 2010 @ 4:50 am

This sounds so good :) Perfect for summer!

Helen — May 11, 2010 @ 4:54 am

This looks great. So fresh = perfect for summer! Can I just say though, ewwwww to the steak flavoured chapstick!!! I bet he would love it though!

Katrina — May 11, 2010 @ 4:56 am

This citrus-vanilla twisted smoothie sounds delicious! Where in the grocery store are vanilla beans kept? I can never find them!!

• Jessica — May 11th, 2010 @ 5:00 am

They are in the spice aisle in my store.

Wei-Wei — May 11, 2010 @ 4:57 am

Oh, so refreshing! I don’t like straight flavours, either. Personally, chocolate ice cream is nasty and doesn’t taste like real chocolate to me. Ever. That said, if you mixed it with peanut butter then I’d happily take a bath in it.

Wait. What?

(Why steak-flavoured chapstick? What about BACON-flavoured chapstick?!)

Wei-Wei

• Jessica — May 11th, 2010 @ 4:59 am

Well, I will take the bacon chapstick. Mr. How Sweet would prefer steak-flavored.

Emily — May 11, 2010 @ 4:59 am

This is perfect for a nice hot summer day! Sounds amazing! :)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — May 11, 2010 @ 5:00 am

Sign me up for this shake with a side of tequila…I mean, guacamole!

nikki — May 11, 2010 @ 5:02 am

I dont know about steak flavored but I have heard of bacon flavored lip balm. No Joke. Hey, YOU might like that one. Then you can just lick your lips and get your bacon fix all day. HA

Allie (Protein Girl) — May 11, 2010 @ 5:03 am

Bacon candle – check. Is that close enough to steak? http://www.mandleco.com/Bacon_Candle_p/baco.htm

• Jessica — May 11th, 2010 @ 6:02 am

What?!?!?!? Oh dear.

Erica — May 11, 2010 @ 5:09 am

My husband loves lime flavored anything. He’d be a huge fan of this beverage (and I think I would too!). I love plain vanilla though too. There is something about the simplicity that makes my tummy sing ;)

Brittany — May 11, 2010 @ 5:13 am

This smoothie sounds awesome. I love that you included vanilla bean contents, I’m a big fan!!

midgetkeeper — May 11, 2010 @ 5:16 am

That looks so refreshing and delicious. I’m sure the flavor combination is wonderful.

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — May 11, 2010 @ 5:25 am

Ahh so refreshing! This must make you feel so much better on a hot summer day!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — May 11, 2010 @ 5:29 am

This looks amazing! I need drama, too- a little spice goes a long way!

xo
    K

Heather — May 11, 2010 @ 5:33 am

first off. i heard about this on a podcast recently and squealed.

as in, oh this is clearly for Jess. it’s DIFFERENT than that candy bar with bacon in it – this is CHOCOLATE COVERED BACON. bacon. covered. in chocolate. Ummm, hello?

also- at their storefront they have an ice cream called…

wait for it…

Vegan’s Nightmare Ice Cream.

chunks of this chocolate covered bacon in maple syrup ice cream.

so, yes. perhaps we should travel to Santa Cruz soon.
    and by soon, i mean STAT.

(i feel the Sterns would be all over this, as well.)

oh. this comment has nothing to do with your smoothie.
    thats because its currently 31 degrees outside and i rode my bike to work today. i dont want a smoothy, i want an electric blanket and a nap.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 11, 2010 @ 5:37 am

Steak-flavored chapstick…maybe if you wrote to Bonne Bell with a request? :-)

I DO like plain vanilla shakes, but I also like jazzed up shakes, and this one sounds awesome!

5 Star Foodie — May 11, 2010 @ 5:55 am

What a lovely smoothie – I love the addition of lime zest! I’m having smoothies & shakes makeover contest on my site and this would be a great entry if you would like to submit it! http://www.fivestarfoodie.com/2010/05/5-star-makeover-announcement-smoothies.html Thanks!

Amanda — May 11, 2010 @ 6:13 am

Gorgeous! It looks so decadent… so complex in its flavor… but looks like even I could make it!

You go girl.

Blessings!
    Amanda

Evan Thomas — May 11, 2010 @ 6:17 am

I want this. I could pass up any alcoholic beverage, but something with a vanilla bean in there is just calling my name

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 11, 2010 @ 6:19 am

That looks so refreshing! I have vanilla bean paste that would go great with this. :)

Jenn

susan from food blogga — May 11, 2010 @ 6:21 am

Lime is just a simple way to add tang and excitement to an otherwise ho-hum vanilla smoothie. I think it’s a fabulous idea! As for the candles though, I’m with Mr. Sweet, I like orange and actually, vanilla. :)

Jenna — May 11, 2010 @ 6:31 am

I can see myself drinking this on a hot summer night. Love the sounds of it!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — May 11, 2010 @ 6:34 am

That DOES sound perfect for summer! I might even add a few coconut sprinkles on top!!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — May 11, 2010 @ 6:40 am

We have bacon flavored dental floss here. My husband got it for our kids to go in their stockings at Christmas. My husband wants a candle that smells like the pork shoulder we roast. I am not sure that a meat scented candle would be a good idea, since it really would not give you the satisfaction of eating it afterwards! Your smoothie sounds delicious. Vanilla and lime…great combination!

Pam — May 11, 2010 @ 6:44 am

I love love love your writing style. I also love the Mr. How Sweet comments!

• Jessica — May 11th, 2010 @ 6:45 am

Thank you!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 11, 2010 @ 6:59 am

I have really learned to love lime over the past year, but I have never had a smoothie with it!!! Sounds great!!!

Blond Duck — May 11, 2010 @ 7:11 am

I would love a steak candle or chapstick. I think I was a Viking or some kind of bloodthirsty warrior in a former life.

ERin at The Healthy Apron — May 11, 2010 @ 7:13 am

I am absolutely the same way!! I could never just eat plain vanilla or chocolate ice cream! I like the chunks!! lol

Camille — May 11, 2010 @ 7:20 am

I’m not a big lime fan… but it looks so good…

I love your husbands favorite flavor :) If I asked my boyfriend, I assure you he would say “Bacon”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 11, 2010 @ 7:20 am

vanilla lime is such a fabulous combo…rich and refreshing at the same time!

Jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well. — May 11, 2010 @ 7:21 am

So light and refreshing! Perfectly cooling for a summer day! Love this! I am the same, I don’t do boring either.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — May 11, 2010 @ 7:41 am

That just looks so gorgeous and refreshing on a summer day. Did you have this for dessert or for breakfast?

• Jessica — May 11th, 2010 @ 7:43 am

Snack – with protein powder in it.

Tracy — May 11, 2010 @ 8:12 am

Mmm, looks delicious and refreshing!!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 11, 2010 @ 8:23 am

What about White Castle scented candles?

Annie@stronghealthyfit — May 11, 2010 @ 8:24 am

That looks great. Do you think it would be good with some gin added to it? ;-)

• Jessica — May 11th, 2010 @ 8:26 am

I am not a fan of gin (think it smells/tastes like lighter fluid), but I think it would be excellent with some coconut rum in it. ;)

Melissa @ For the Love of Health — May 11, 2010 @ 8:25 am

It’s funny how we all have our favorites :-)
    That looks refreshing and summery

Chubby — May 11, 2010 @ 8:37 am

Oooh I have all the ingredients on hand and I may have to try this! Thanks for sharing. Looks super healthy, too!

Lindsey @ Cardiopizza — May 11, 2010 @ 8:53 am

now THAT is a smoothie I would like! That sounds so refreshing!

Tracey — May 11, 2010 @ 9:12 am

Hello – I wanted to stop by and let you know I tried making the cappuccino brownies you posted about awhile ago. They are so good and that frosting is fantastic!

In my opinion this brownie makes the perfect breakfast;)

• Jessica — May 11th, 2010 @ 10:33 am

So glad you liked them! And I agree – perfect breakfast, indeed. ;)

Kristina — May 11, 2010 @ 9:13 am

HERE IS YOUR BACON CHAPSTICK !! http://bit.ly/aqOloE !! :)

…I have just found your blog last week, it is one of my new favorites ! I love your writing style, your wit and all the food looks AMAZING. YUM

cheers!

• Jessica — May 11th, 2010 @ 10:34 am

Oh my goodness…hahaha.

Thank you so much! :)

Stephanie — May 11, 2010 @ 9:14 am

Hahaha steak flavored candle… love the laughs I get from your posts, hope you’re having a great week girl! :)

liane — May 11, 2010 @ 10:01 am

I love lime. Vanilla + Lime?! Yes please.

lauren @ wholewheatorbust — May 11, 2010 @ 10:59 am

I absolutely must make this tonight. My obsession lately has been coconut lime – but this sounds even sweeter. And I love the prose, I think we would get along famously :D

One Healthy Apple — May 11, 2010 @ 11:25 am

This looks delicious. I bet there are some companies that make steak flavored chapstick- the offer to play with the WWE figurines would be tempting if I didn’t have my husband’s signed WWE magazineto play with. That’s another story.

• Jessica — May 11th, 2010 @ 11:30 am

Perhaps we should set up a playdate for our significant others?

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — May 11, 2010 @ 11:36 am

hahaha this post is hilarious!! i am going to find some steak flavored SOMETHING for the hubby ;) I swear its out there!!

I love the fruit flavors too! i always pop into bath and body works nad the body shop and walk out even with a little sample size body lotion or shower gel, the tropical smells are intoxicating!!

have you ever tried the coconut lime scent from bath and body works?!? its amzing!

oh and I want that smoothie NOW :)

• Jessica — May 11th, 2010 @ 11:40 am

Yes, I love it!

Anne — May 11, 2010 @ 11:37 am

I don’t know if it’s a German thing but I LOVE the smell of steak and would like to have a steak sentenced candle too :D :D

• Jessica — May 11th, 2010 @ 11:40 am

Must be! Mr. How Sweet is German. ;)

Emily @Cleanliness — May 11, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

This looks absolutely delicious! Send some my way, why dontcha?! :o)

Nicole, RD — May 11, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

LMAO at WWF figurines :) Looks so refreshing and springy! Mmmm!!!

Paige (running around normal) — May 11, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

I don’t think I could ever describe you as “vanilla” :)

Abby — May 11, 2010 @ 12:46 pm

Dave would like steak flavored chap-stick as well. I think he’d eat it though, since he doesn’t ever get to eat the real thing (unless we’re visiting his mom, of course).

rhodeygirl — May 11, 2010 @ 1:33 pm

I love this! It looks so yummy, and I love the way you write!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Vanilla Lime Smoothie. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Fitness Kick Start: My Ultimate Playlist. | How Sweet It Is