I did it.

I baked for the first time with my beloved bacon.

How many of you are completely grossed out right now?

Because I plan on continuing.

Sure, in theory bacon in baked goods sounds incredible.

Up until now, I just couldn’t go through with it. I was afraid it would taste terrible, and then all my bacon fantasies would be ruined.

What if it was like Lindsay Lohan and Grey Goose? Perfectly fine when apart, but add the two together and you just get a hot mess.

Or like my sausage thighs encased in straight-legged jeans? Again – manageable alone, disaster when combined.

If bacon and baked goods didn’t work out, I didn’t know if I could bear it.

Luckily, within minutes of tasting the batter I knew I had made the right choice.

I couldn’t just stop at sweet, chewy blondies swirled with bacon.

I topped them with an inch of fluffy peanut butter frosting, sprinkling on more crispy bacon.

I honestly thought I was going to die and go to heaven.

This is heaven.

Given my obsession with ‘sweet and salty’ lately, these fit the bill perfectly.

And they made Mr. How Sweet want to vomit. There is nothing more disgusting to him that bacon mixed in cookies or cake.

Which meant that I had an entire 9 x 13 pan to eat by my lonesome. Don’t ask me what came over me. When I bake for just the two of us, I tend to 1/2 or even 1/4 a recipe so we don’t have mountains of baked goods to eat. But for some reason, I decided to double the recipe in this case.

I couldn’t help myself. I wanted thick blondies.

Peanut Butter Bacon Blondies

blondies from Simply Recipes

1 cup of butter, melted

2 cups of  brown sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons of vanilla

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon of baking soda

Pinch of salt

2 cups of all-purpose flour

6 sliced of bacon, fried and crumbled

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and melted butter until smooth. Add in eggs and vanilla.

Combine dry ingredients together, and whisk into the batter. Fold in bacon.

Spread evenly in an 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until done.

Peanut Butter Frosting

1 stick butter, softened

3/4 cup creamy peanut butter

2-3 cups powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

2-3 tablespoons milk

6 slices bacon, fried and crumbled

Cream butter and peanut butter. Add sugar gradually. Add vanilla. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. More liquid may be needed depending on how thick or creamy you want the frosting.

Frost blondies, then top with crumbled bacon.

I have a feeling this is not a good thing. I’ve broken the seal. I’ve opened the dam.

There is no going back.

Bacon for everyone!

109 Responses to “Peanut Butter Bacon Blondies.”

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — June 11, 2010 @ 4:10 am

Oh no you didn’t! You are sooooo bad! This actually looks really good to me!

Helen — June 11, 2010 @ 4:15 am

Oh no!!! I so knew this was coming! This doesn’t look appetising to me but I can imagine how the sweet and salty tastes go so well together. This has opened up a whole can of worms – what other baked goods can you include bacon in…I wait to find out!

Katrina — June 11, 2010 @ 4:17 am

This is surely unusual, but my boyfriend would love it!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — June 11, 2010 @ 4:19 am

I didn’t know what to expect when I clicked over from twitter and wow I can’t believe you finally did it!! Congrats on finding a great combo from salty and sweet. Only you would find this!

Wei-Wei — June 11, 2010 @ 4:27 am

Mr How Sweet’s love for you may have a rival now. Me. Gosh. Boy, peanut butter and bacon… you’ll be turning down marriage proposals, left and right, you gorgeous genius.

<3<3

Wei-Wei

The Candid RD — June 11, 2010 @ 4:32 am

haha, he didn’t like them?! More for you!! ;)
    I think these sound wonderful. Like you, I’m really into that sweet and salty combination. Nothing beats it! Great experiment, and I’m glad it worked out…..for you at least!

• Jessica — June 11th, 2010 @ 4:39 am

Oh he wouldn’t even touch them! Just the thought of bacon in something sweet makes him sick.

Julie @ Running Reckless — June 11, 2010 @ 4:44 am

Now I know what to make my brother for his birthday!

Heather — June 11, 2010 @ 5:06 am

speechless.

• Mr. How Sweet It Is — June 11th, 2010 @ 8:16 am

really? you are speechless? is that even possible Ms. Mini-blog-in-a-blog?

• Heather — June 11th, 2010 @ 9:33 am

hahaha.

bacon + blondies = i have no words.

except a few about these Beer cupcakes with a Bacon Cheddar Cream Cheese frosting that I make each year for the superbowl.

But im quite certain I’ve told your wife about these 100 times.
        and now im craving one. beer. bacon. cheddar. cream cheese. cupcake. yummmmmmmm.
        but all i have to eat at the office at the moment that comes even close is a raspberry jam filled short bread cookie.

they are terrific.
        they come from a local coffee shop which i frequent often.
        actually, what happened is the owner of said coffee shop bakes great treats. Scones, Muffins, Cinnamon Rolls, Cookies, etc.

One day, a few weeks ago, I walked into the coffee shop and saw she had made a new kind of cookie. And they looked so good. So I ordered one with my iced coffee.

As I ate this delightful raspberry jam shortbread, i was quite certain that it was the best cookie i’ve ever had. Well- thats what I thought at first. Then I remembered that I probably only think that because it was “fresh taste emotion”. So I did some evaluating. It was decided – this cookie was in the TOP FIVE. FOR SURE.

I thought about buying another cookie to eat right then and there. You see, sometimes Danielle makes a new kind of cookie and then doesn’t make it again for several months. There are a few cookies that i’ve had ONE time and then have never seen again. So I started to panic. Should I eat another cookie? Would that save me if they were to never return to the treat menu again?

of course, not.

And that is the story of how I ended up with a dozen raspberry jam short bread cookies in my freezer.

midgetkeeper — June 11, 2010 @ 5:07 am

I think these look awesome. I adore bacon.

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches — June 11, 2010 @ 5:16 am

I give you mad props for these blondies! The men in my life would go gaga over these…lol. I can see how the bacon + PB frosting would be delicious. I once had a bacon + PB sandwich before, and it was mighty tasty. Your blondies would be the same thing, just more sugar! How can you go wrong?

Erica — June 11, 2010 @ 5:24 am

hahhahahha- I literally just said out loud…oh no she didn’t…opened your post and read the first line. hahaha. I bet Josh would LOVE these.

megan — June 11, 2010 @ 5:34 am

You can count me as one of the people who would not want to eat bacon and blondies together…But I LOVE that you made these. And that you like them :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — June 11, 2010 @ 5:52 am

I am so excited that you went with your instincts on this one and had great success!
    Hilarious comment:
    “sausage thighs encased in straight-legged jeans”
    These blondies sound unstoppable! xo

Abby — June 11, 2010 @ 5:57 am

I’m so impressed!!! They look GOOD! And I don’t eat meat! But now I want to make these for Dave!

shelly (cookies and cups) — June 11, 2010 @ 6:00 am

hmmm…I tried one time making pb bacon cookies and I they weren’t my fave…couldn’t get over that I was eating a meat cookie. But, with that said…I think I could get into these because the bacon is essentially a garnish, like sea salt. I guess I will be diving back into the bacon/baked goods pool ;)

• Jessica — June 11th, 2010 @ 6:01 am

Actually, I also made chocolate chip cookies with bacon a few months ago, and HATED them! I think you are on to something with ‘meat in the cookie.’ I promise it is better in the blondie. :)

CaSaundra — June 11, 2010 @ 6:10 am

I am not even the biggest fan of bacon, but the sweet/salty combo sounds very tempting!

Katy — June 11, 2010 @ 6:14 am

I made my husband a Bacon Maple Birthday Cake and months later, he’s STILL talking about it:

Evan — June 11, 2010 @ 6:15 am

I’ve been checking out recipes that include bacon, specifically brownies but these blondies may have changed my direction.. I tried a peanut butter bacon sandwich (on wheat toast) last year at the beach- it was surprisingly amazing.

Mellissa — June 11, 2010 @ 6:17 am

Bacon and Blondies- a winning combination to me :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — June 11, 2010 @ 6:20 am

OMG I LOVE YOU :) Amazing!

homecookedem — June 11, 2010 @ 6:29 am

Hehe, when I saw the title of this, I giggled out loud! ;) You are so funny! :) This is probably the first thing you’ve made that doesn’t look good to me, but you know what, I bet I’d be VERY suprised if I tasted it!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 11, 2010 @ 6:29 am

I am not sure what my guys would think about this. I will have to run this one by them. They are all about the bacon, so I am thinking they will want to try it! Growing up, I used to bake a breakfast cookie with oats, bacon, cheese…I need to get that recipe from my mom and share it.

Mackenzie @ The Caramel Cookie — June 11, 2010 @ 6:29 am

The Lindsay Lohan comment cracked me up!!!! These look good!

Sarah Jayne — June 11, 2010 @ 6:36 am

All these bad boys are missing is a nice drizzle of deep dark chocolate :) HEAVEN!

• Jessica — June 11th, 2010 @ 6:37 am

I never even thought of that – it would be so good!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — June 11, 2010 @ 6:36 am

I have heard of mixing bacon and PB and also bacon in baked goods but I haven’t gotten there yet…haha…but I will admit these do look amazing!

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — June 11, 2010 @ 6:37 am

This is genius!! I’ve had bacon ice cream before but LOVE this idea…I mean peanut butter & bacon!? AMAZING!

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — June 11, 2010 @ 6:51 am

this title demanded an immediate CLICK out of my google reader. bacon & brownies!? you, my friend, may be my fiance’s actual soul mate. :)

Eunice — June 11, 2010 @ 7:08 am

I’ve seen these bacon recipes floating about the Interwebs. I don’t know. I just don’t know. Maybe if you send me some? :) Then for sure I can decide how I feel about them. :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — June 11, 2010 @ 7:11 am

These look incredible Jessica! Your post put a smile on my face :)

Jenna — June 11, 2010 @ 7:19 am

YOu definitely did break the seal! I had a similar cupcake a few months back that Mike’s sisters friend made. It was peanut butter chocolate chip with peanut butter frosting, served with bacon bits on top. Everybody LOVED them!

Micaela — June 11, 2010 @ 7:36 am

I love bacon, but I don’t know if I could do it! I’m weird about my dinner tasting sweet so I’d probably be weird about my dessert tasting like dinner!
    Looks great though!

Jennifurla — June 11, 2010 @ 7:41 am

WOAH, I had a heart attack just reading this! Looks gooooood

Marlon (MeInTheBalance) — June 11, 2010 @ 7:54 am

Wow… I’m frightened yet intrigued at the same time. I may be tempted to try this over summer vacation. Thanks for sharing!

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans — June 11, 2010 @ 7:55 am

Not something I am jumping at to try, but the concept sounds interesting. Way to be bold and go there!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — June 11, 2010 @ 7:58 am

I’ve had peanut butter and bacon sandwiches before, so I can only assume these are fan-freaking-tastic

Beth @ bethcooks — June 11, 2010 @ 8:07 am

These are perfect in every way! I’m not even a fan of blondies….but peanut butter and bacon? Heck yeah.

Mr. How Sweet It Is — June 11, 2010 @ 8:20 am

Everyone knows my idea of getting more protein is to add a side of chicken breast to every meal. But, baby, bacon in a dessert? Seeing these makes me want to throw up a little in my mouth. Meat should be left to the main courses. Desserts should include combinations of sugar, ice cream, chocolate chips and peanut butter. that is all. how they get mixed together, I do not care. but they should definitely NOT include meat.

Mary — June 11, 2010 @ 8:21 am

I’ve been super hesitant to bake with bacon but I think you just sold me on it! YUM! Those bars look so fabulous!

xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

VeggieGirl — June 11, 2010 @ 8:23 am

Elvis says thank you from the grave :-D

Kristina — June 11, 2010 @ 8:24 am

our doughnut shop here makes a bacon maple bar. :)

these? look dangerous. I love blondies as almost my very favorite dessert ever, and what you did here…

I am so there. I’m doing this. again, thank the stars we have company at our house, because I think I’d double the recipe also.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 11, 2010 @ 8:37 am

oh Lord, i could feel my waistband getting tighter as i read! you’re right…this is NOT a good thing…you have opened the Pandora’s box of sweet/saltiness. off i go to buy stock in lane bryant!

Jo — June 11, 2010 @ 8:55 am

Trust me I am not grossed out by these! They sound FANTASTIC! (But I’m a vegan so I can’t make myself some).

But you should think about doing bacon chocolate chip cookies. Those are fab too :)

Mmmm I love putting odd things together in the kitchen!

• Jessica — June 11th, 2010 @ 9:53 am

I actually made some bacon chocolate chip cookies a few months ago, and didn’t like them at all. I know…sad.

• Jo — June 11th, 2010 @ 7:05 pm

Reallyyyyyyy? I cannot believe it! Perhaps you should try a different recipe?

Also, how does beer cheese soup sound? I was planning to make it but then I went vegan. BUT, I can live vicariously through you. Lemme know what you think! Hehe :)

april — June 11, 2010 @ 9:14 am

Hahaha, I never thought I’d see the day where bacon is in a dessert! Although, I’m not judging- I eat some pretty weird stuff :D

Cindy — June 11, 2010 @ 9:52 am

My mother-in-law’s favorite breakfast is peanut butter and bacon on toast! At first I though that was nuts…until I tried it…SWOON! I can’t wait to try these!

Rachel — June 11, 2010 @ 11:08 am

When I ate bacon (I’m a vegetarian now) I refused to eat bacon anytime it wasn’t served with breakfast.

And even at breakfast, it couldn’t be in a breakfast sandwich or anything, just in strips on the plate.

Bacon cheeseburgers? No
    Bacon bits on salads or potatoes? No
    In a breakfast burrito? No

Maybe I’m crazy. But bacon needs to stand on its own, for me anyways.

The idea of them in baked goods is very creative and interesting though. Props for taking the risk and discovering something you enjoy!

Kim — June 11, 2010 @ 11:25 am

o m g ! !

Mary (A Merry Life) — June 11, 2010 @ 11:41 am

Haha. You did it.

I’m not sure I like the bacon + sweet combo. I love them both separately though. :)

Monique@She's Going The Distance — June 11, 2010 @ 11:56 am

haha, kudos to you for actually making this!!!! I think you should move to Portland, Oregon…. Voodoo Doughnuts would really suit you.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — June 11, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

I would totally dig these. I’m secretly a fat kid inside…I just don’t let her come out too often :wink: And stop talking poorly about your thighs! You’re gorgeous!

Blond Duck — June 11, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

You know, I wrote an ode to bacon for next Tuesday, but not even I would do this. I would like to make the PB blondies, sans bacon though. :)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Peanut Butter Bacon Blondies | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Running on PURE Caffeine! « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices

3. Pingback: A Thursday Feast. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Peanut Butter Bacon Blondies, Holla! « Baking With Izzie

5. Pingback: 55 Recipes For New Year’s Eve. | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Bacon Butterscotch Blondies « My Shiny Life

7. Pingback: maple bacon blondies « spill the beans

8. Pingback: » Blog Archive » Wife skills

9. Pingback: Peanut Butter Bacon Blondies | Take A Break and Bake

10. Pingback: Bacon Blondies | The Baking Robot

11. Pingback: Peanut Butter Bacon Blondies | Life With Sugar

12. Pingback: 22 Mouth-Watering Desserts Improved By Bacon | シ最愛遲到.!

13. Pingback: 22 Mouth-Watering Desserts Improved By Bacon | Celebrity Gossip and Photos

14. Pingback: Foodie News: 22 Mouth-Watering Desserts Improved By Bacon | ASQRD

15. Pingback: 22 Mouth-Watering Desserts Improved By Bacon | IPOPSOS

16. Pingback: Peanut Butter Bacon Blondies | I love to cook, and he loves to eat