Quesadillas are like the boys I used to date before meeting Mr. How Sweet.

I enjoy them, but I get bored so easily.

I am always thinking up new flavor combinations. They often go like this: some form of meat, multiple cheeses, tropical fruit, and as few veggies as possible.

And they almost always include bacon.

See, I had fully intended on providing a proper side dish with this quesadilla. It may have been chips. It may have been a margarita. It may have been as simple as a tequila shot. Whatever it was, to Mr. How Sweet, fruit slices do not a side dish make.

But then I nabbed a bite of the mango.

It was the best mango I’ve ever had.

Let’s just say that in Pittsburgh, mangos aren’t… plentiful. Finding a good one is like finding a needle in a haystack. Or a veggie in my crisper drawer.

And I haven’t really ventured anywhere tropical. Unless you count the Jersey Shore to be tropical.

Clearly, I don’t get out much.

After I polished off the quesadillas and mango slices, I stood over the sink chomping on the remaining fruit like it was corn on the cob. The juices ran down my arms and I couldn’t have been happier.

While the mango with chili powder is a fabulous combo, the other additions to the quesadilla are what got me all riled up. Bacon for a savory bite and caramelized onions for more sweet, meshed with a melty, spicy cheese.

I hadn’t been this excited since Lindsay Lohan set off her SCRAM bracelet with “perfume.”

Now I have sank into a deep, dark depression because I doubt I will be able to find a mango as luscious.

Luscious – isn’t that a terrible word? It makes me cringe. But it is the only word that appropriately describes the mango.

If you know what’s good for you, you will make this quesadilla. Today.

Chili Mango Chicken Quesadillas

Serves 2

2 whole wheat tortillas

6 ounces grilled chicken

1/2 mango, sliced and chopped

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/4 sweet onion, chopped and caramelized

2 slices bacon, fried and crumbled

1 ounce shredded, smoked cheddar cheese

1 ounce pepper jack cheese

Preheat a skillet on medium heat. Lay 1/2 ounce of cheddar cheese on a tortilla, topping with 2 ounces chicken, half of the mango and onions, and a 1/4 teaspoon chili powder. Add 1/2 ounce of pepper jack cheese on top and lay tortilla on top. Add to skillet and heat until tortilla is crispy and cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining ingredients.

I’m now going to grieve for my mango.

I will probably eat my emotions. And that eating will probably include bacon.

77 Responses to “Chili Mango Chicken Quesadilla.”

Chef Dennis — July 20, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

your quesadilla’s look incredible….I would have never thought to have added mango…..it sounds delicious!
    thanks so much for sharing !!

Emily @ For Sweets Sake — July 20, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

you amaze me. i have major food envy. I’m dying to try these quesadillas! mostly because they have bacon in them and bacon makes the world a better place ;)

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 20, 2010 @ 2:46 pm

Yum Jess…these look wonderful. I could do some emotional eating with these.

Lisa @bakebikeblog — July 20, 2010 @ 3:10 pm

I really like the idea of this flavour combination! Great job!

Liana — July 20, 2010 @ 3:18 pm

I just wanted to stop by and say how much I absolutely love your blog. Your writing style is so refreshing. And I am quite the fitness fanatic myself (and by that I mean I am quite addicted to anything to do with running, swimming, and being healthy in general)! Keep up with the great posts (or I will quickly run out of reading material)

• Jessica — July 20th, 2010 @ 3:21 pm

Thanks so much!

Laura — July 20, 2010 @ 3:46 pm

Love Mr. How Sweet’s comment! I love your blog and your obsession with bacon, it’s sooo addictive!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — July 20, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

Mangos are something that I could eat daily. Juicy, sweet, plump and tropical. Yummy yummy yummy. I could drink them right now.

Gabriela — July 20, 2010 @ 4:50 pm

I love how you always combine sweet and savory ingredients! I don’t eat chicken, but cheese + mango + spicy = awesome sounding combo!

Eliana — July 20, 2010 @ 5:26 pm

Mangos are one of my favorite fruits and they are so perfect this time of year. And make this quesadilla lok superb!!!

LizLivingVegan — July 20, 2010 @ 6:55 pm

I loooove Mangos!!!!! I wouldn’t have thought about putting them in a quesadilla but that looks tasty!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — July 20, 2010 @ 9:32 pm

Mangoes are very hard to come by in MN, but well worth the price for a good one! I had never thought to put them in quesadillas.. i like it!!

Amanda — July 21, 2010 @ 6:25 am

Oh my word that scares me. Yet excited me at the same time.

MUST. TRY. :)

Be blessed-
    Amanda

Amanda@SenseiTalks — July 21, 2010 @ 8:44 am

Umm yeah, these could be my new favorite quesadillas! Love mangos, but never thought to pair it with some chili powder. Thank you so much for sharing!!

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — July 21, 2010 @ 10:01 am

I think I’m waiting til my hubby goes out of town to make this so I don’t have to share. YUM!

Ingrid — July 21, 2010 @ 11:52 am

I would have never thought of this combo! Yum!

Nienke at Revel — July 22, 2010 @ 5:16 am

Yum! I love sweet and savoury combinations. And really, mango is so great that it goes with EVERYTHING!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — July 22, 2010 @ 7:17 pm

Very interesting combo… I’m intrigued! I’m not normally a big mango person, but I will have to give this a try. I get pretty bored with quesadillas, too.

megan — July 27, 2010 @ 10:57 am

I love the flavor combos! The heat with the mango, YUM!
    My favorite quesadilla that I ever made was a chicken and brie quesadilla with caramelized onions and a mango salsa. Add bacon and you would like it! ;)

carol — August 2, 2010 @ 9:19 pm

This was incredible! Even my never-try-anything-different boyfriend loved it and ate the whole thing. Delicious:) Thanks!

Tarrah Dame — September 8, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

um…yum! im new to the mango chicken combo and LOVE it! thanks for sharing this…looks great!

nico — December 23, 2010 @ 4:36 am

I just posted my version of this on my blog … thanks for the amazing flavor combination idea! so delicious!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Chili Mango Chicken Quesadilla. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Chili Mango Chicken Quesadillas | Home Recipes Catalog