Quesadillas are like the boys I used to date before meeting Mr. How Sweet.

I enjoy them, but I get bored so easily.

I am always thinking up new flavor combinations. They often go like this: some form of meat, multiple cheeses, tropical fruit, and as few veggies as possible.

And they almost always include bacon.

See, I had fully intended on providing a proper side dish with this quesadilla. It may have been chips. It may have been a margarita. It may have been as simple as a tequila shot. Whatever it was, to Mr. How Sweet, fruit slices do not a side dish make.

But then I nabbed a bite of the mango.

It was the best mango I’ve ever had.

Let’s just say that in Pittsburgh, mangos aren’t… plentiful. Finding a good one is like finding a needle in a haystack. Or a veggie in my crisper drawer.

And I haven’t really ventured anywhere tropical. Unless you count the Jersey Shore to be tropical.

Clearly, I don’t get out much.

After I polished off the quesadillas and mango slices, I stood over the sink chomping on the remaining fruit like it was corn on the cob. The juices ran down my arms and I couldn’t have been happier.

While the mango with chili powder is a fabulous combo, the other additions to the quesadilla are what got me all riled up. Bacon for a savory bite and caramelized onions for more sweet, meshed with a melty, spicy cheese.

I hadn’t been this excited since Lindsay Lohan set off her SCRAM bracelet with “perfume.”

Now I have sank into a deep, dark depression because I doubt I will be able to find a mango as luscious.

Luscious – isn’t that a terrible word? It makes me cringe. But it is the only word that appropriately describes the mango.

If you know what’s good for you, you will make this quesadilla. Today.

Chili Mango Chicken Quesadillas

Serves 2

2 whole wheat tortillas

6 ounces grilled chicken

1/2 mango, sliced and chopped

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/4 sweet onion, chopped and caramelized

2 slices bacon, fried and crumbled

1 ounce shredded, smoked cheddar cheese

1 ounce pepper jack cheese

Preheat a skillet on medium heat. Lay 1/2 ounce of cheddar cheese on a tortilla, topping with 2 ounces chicken, half of the mango and onions, and a 1/4 teaspoon chili powder. Add 1/2 ounce of pepper jack cheese on top and lay tortilla on top. Add to skillet and heat until tortilla is crispy and cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining ingredients.

I’m now going to grieve for my mango.

I will probably eat my emotions. And that eating will probably include bacon.

77 Responses to “Chili Mango Chicken Quesadilla.”

Erica — July 20, 2010 @ 4:05 am

Sweetness. I am making quesadillas on Thursday and cannot wait. They never seem to bore me…cheesy melty deliciousness. Love the fruity addition. Think it would be good with just fruit/cheese/black beans!

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — July 20, 2010 @ 4:09 am

Oh yum! I’ve had spicy mango before and it is SO good…and can only be better paired with a cheesy quesadilla!

Cara — July 20, 2010 @ 4:13 am

I definitely agree with you on the “hard to find a good mango situation”
    I have come to not like mangoes all that much because of it…tragedy, I know!

Marilou — July 20, 2010 @ 4:13 am

Mango and crack are the same: You always want to find that same amazing high you had the first time, but are disapointed with it most of the time …. Not that I know of crack .. Bwahaha

Tina — July 20, 2010 @ 4:16 am

I adore mango, but can never find really good mango either. It’s sad.

Blond Duck — July 20, 2010 @ 4:17 am

I never thought of putting fruit in quesdillas! I’m thinking pineapple, black beans, chicken…oh yum!

amanda — July 20, 2010 @ 4:24 am

This looks delicious. I just bought myself a mango this week and maybe I might make something like this. I hope I can peel this a little bit better this time

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — July 20, 2010 @ 4:27 am

I usually only eat mangos when someone else is cutting them up for me, which isn’t that often. I think this recipe could inspire me to actually do it myself though!

Tes — July 20, 2010 @ 4:28 am

Wow… this sounds really interesting- sweet and spicy..ummm yummm. Now I find the new stuffing for quesadilla!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Tes

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — July 20, 2010 @ 4:36 am

Toasty, tropical goodness! I like the sound of this one!

Heather — July 20, 2010 @ 4:38 am

i have a bag of frozen mango. i bought it hoping that it would make my smoothies delicious. i think this idea came from a love of “Mango-a-go-go” from Jamba Juice. (although, that’s not my favorite flavor. my favorite flavor has been retired – although you can still get it if you know to ask nicely ;) Berry Lime Sublime. They aren’t kidding with the sublime. SUBLIME i tell you.) Anyway – so far the mango additions to my smoothies have been sub par. I need to do something about this.

this weekend i learned that fresh fruit is fresher than frozen fruit.
    i know this is obvious, but just bear with me. I also have a bag of frozen pineapple that i have been munching on for the last few weeks, sparingly because its so cold and refreshing on a hot summer day that leaves my apartment thermometer reading 98 degress. This weekend i bought an actual pineapple from the local grocery, and it has been made clear to me that there is a world of difference. Totally worth the $4.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — July 20, 2010 @ 4:42 am

Aren’t quesadillas just the perfect food? You can make them whatever you want them to be! I guess in that way they aren’t like the boys I used to date, but that’s ok since one day the right one comes along, right! This sounds delicious! I love mangos!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — July 20, 2010 @ 4:48 am

Mangos suck here too. I’ve yet to have a good one this season! I’m intrigued by your use of chili powder! Sounds so yummy.

Sophie @ yumventures — July 20, 2010 @ 5:28 am

I’m always looking for ways to spice up my quesadillas too. These sound great. Fruit + cheese + bacon is always a great combo!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — July 20, 2010 @ 5:36 am

WOW these look delish. I can assure you as soon as I squeeze into my wedding dress (less than 3 weeks!) I will be making these for my then-mister. And myself. Mango and bacon? That sounds FANTASTIC.

xo
    Kris

Heather — July 20, 2010 @ 5:37 am

oh man, a good mango is hard to find anywhere! the last one i had i definitely had to shower after eating because the juices went all down my arm and chin. it was like candy though!

Mr. How Sweet It Is — July 20, 2010 @ 5:58 am

Your ex’s were like mall Chinese food. Good at the time but left you wanting more an hour after you were done with them.

Mr. How Sweet is like a Snickers bar. He really satisfies.

Mr. How Sweet is also like milk. He does a body good.

Mr. How Sweet is also like Maxwell House Coffee. Good to the last drop.

Mr. How Sweet thinks he is done.

Tracy — July 20, 2010 @ 6:22 am

Love the combination of flavors in these!!

Matt — July 20, 2010 @ 6:24 am

Great twist on quesadillas!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — July 20, 2010 @ 6:28 am

I love how you compared quesadillas to old boyfriends :) too funny :)

Camille — July 20, 2010 @ 6:32 am

Mmm, I love mango! I think I would like to try these by substituting tempeh for the chicken :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — July 20, 2010 @ 6:35 am

You have out done yourself with flavor combos here. Mango is heavenly. I too slurp ‘em up every chance I get. With the cheese, carbs & chicken….not too mention spice. You are rocking the quesadilla friend.

Yum Yucky — July 20, 2010 @ 6:35 am

I used to make the the K-sa-dilla all the time. I got bored too. But if I served them with the lovely mango, my family would probably attack me. No fairs.

Anna — July 20, 2010 @ 6:49 am

From the description alone I could have sworn I almost tasted it! Looks so good and sounds even better. Lucious post! :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — July 20, 2010 @ 6:56 am

lol…love your quesadilla analogy :-)

Angela — July 20, 2010 @ 6:59 am

These are right up Jeff’s (aka Mr. Chubby Hubby) alley. Although I might try them with shrimp instead of chicken since he doesn’t really love chicken.

Seriously, wow do you come up with your recipes? You always have really unique, but mouthwatering combinations. And lots of twists on the classics which I love. :)

tanyasdaily — July 20, 2010 @ 7:08 am

Those look great!

Kara @ MyWellnest — July 20, 2010 @ 7:16 am

Haha! I love the quesadilla/boy metaphor! LOL!!!

megan — July 20, 2010 @ 7:17 am

finding a good mango is like finding a vegetable in your crisper drawer…and this is why I read your blog. you are hilarious :)

vanillasugar — July 20, 2010 @ 7:37 am

bacon! lol love that you use bacon like i drink water.

Kristina — July 20, 2010 @ 7:43 am

hee hee I LOVE Mr. How Sweet’s comments…

OMG you are RIGHT – about the word luscious. YUCK. Another bad one? Moist. I could go on, but I will spare you. :)

Jason keeps his beer in our crisper drawers. :)

These quesadillas sound delicious…

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — July 20, 2010 @ 7:53 am

Chili and mango are so good! Mangoes have been really cheap here recently, and my problem is getting to the bins before they have been picked over!

Holly — July 20, 2010 @ 7:57 am

YUM! That looks awesome! I actually don’t know how to pick out a good mango. (like how you pick out a good cantelope by the smell or by pressing on the little belly button type thing on the outside)
    Never thought to add chili powder to mango- sweet & spicy= perfect

• Jessica — July 20th, 2010 @ 8:11 am

I think I heard that they are supposed to be pink/red in color and soft?

I actually do not know because I bought the mango over a week ago and forgot about it. I pulled it out of the fridge and luckily for me, it was perfectly ripe.

Lesson: buy fruit and forget about it for a few days.

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — July 20, 2010 @ 7:57 am

i LOOOVE MANGOES TOO!! omg they are so hard to find good ones. Whenever we go to costa rica I always eat the mango and pineapple because it is unlike anything I have ever had. I seriuosly dream about it!!

that is the best combo everr you ROCK

Trish — July 20, 2010 @ 8:01 am

I just had a yummy quesadilla this weekend…crab meat, grilled corn, pico de gallo, jack and cojita cheese!

We can’t find good mango’s in Central PA either; but the pineapple have been really delicious!

• Jessica — July 20th, 2010 @ 8:09 am

Love cotija! That sounds delicious.

Jessica — July 20, 2010 @ 8:07 am

Hi! Well, we already have something in common.. the same name!
    I was reading one of your posts from a while back, well a bunch of them actually, and they all mentioned something about how Mr. Sweet doesn’t.. or won’t… eat veggies. Is this because he’s just lazy? or he actually doesn’t like them? My husband (we’re also young newlyweds) has the same issue! It’s a massive struggle to get him to eat a salad, and 98% of the time he covers it with caesar dressing (which to me.. doesn’t really count as a healthy salad). Carrots and broccoli and any “weird” veggie are totally out of the question and he won’t go near them.
    Just curious if maybe it’s a guy thing??
    - Jessica

• Jessica — July 20th, 2010 @ 8:09 am

Hahah actually, Mr. How Sweet DOES eat veggies! He likes them. I am the one who hates them. However, he would rather eat meat. As in meat for an entree, side dish, and dessert. :)

He doesn’t really eat salad, but he eats other veggies as sides. If I make them.

Jenna — July 20, 2010 @ 8:19 am

When were were in Playa this past spring they had fresh mangos on a stick with chili sprinkled on top. Seriously one of the best things ever! I’m sure I’d love these quesadilla’s. :)

Wei-Wei — July 20, 2010 @ 8:21 am

I’ve seen mango used with a lot of spicy elements, like in mango salsa; actually when you think about it, they do go together quite well! These sound absolutely delicious. :)

Wei-Wei

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — July 20, 2010 @ 8:39 am

Mango is by far my favorite fruit and I hate how hard it is to find a good one! These look delicious!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 20, 2010 @ 8:43 am

I have never made a quesadilla before, although I absolutely love them. I have to remember to make them because they are so easy, and taste so good! Your combination sounds excellent.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — July 20, 2010 @ 8:46 am

Haha, your posts always make me laugh! Those quesadillas looks seriously good!!

Kelly — July 20, 2010 @ 9:20 am

I love Mr. Sweet’s comments. Too funny. :-) Clearly someone likes talking about himself. I find that I have the best luck with mango when I buy them frozen, I guess because they are frozen at the peak of freshness they always seem to taste better than the ones I buy fresh. Although the ones I had in hawaii, those were the best.

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — July 20, 2010 @ 9:30 am

I love love quesadillas. I can eat them morning noon and night!

Try broccoli and feta cheese next time ’round. I call ‘em broccodillas..clever, no?

homecookedem — July 20, 2010 @ 10:35 am

I love mango, I love chicken, and I love quesadillas! This is a WINNER!!

april — July 20, 2010 @ 10:43 am

Mmm those look great! I’ve actually only had mango plain and never in a savory dish but I see them all the time!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — July 20, 2010 @ 10:47 am

omg i love mango + chili
    that’s been the star ingredients for the last couple batches of my tofu

you MUST get the TJs mango chutney…you are gonna fall in love w/ it if you like mangos/chili!

Maria — July 20, 2010 @ 10:49 am

Love the mango in there!

Abby — July 20, 2010 @ 11:34 am

Your Lindsay Lohan reference is lost on me. So is your love of bacon.

Your love of mango is not!

Mary (A Merry Life) — July 20, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

I really, really want to make this.

Kepa was looking at your blog with me too and he agrees. So it’s eventually going to be something we make. Also, he seems to love the cupcakes on the top of your blog. ;)

Evan@swEEts — July 20, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

Mangoes would be the last thing I would have thought of to put into a quesadilla but the look fantastic! I might just have to give this a go..

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Chili Mango Chicken Quesadilla. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Chili Mango Chicken Quesadillas | Home Recipes Catalog