I’m still not sure if cold soups are my thing.

But I’m never one to turn down food.

I just couldn’t help myself when I saw a similar recipe.

And since avocados are fairly affordable ’round these parts right now (read: I don’t need to sell my first-born child for one), I have collected every recipe I can possibly try.

Sometimes I forget that Mr. How Sweet isn’t an avocado fan. Instead of kicking him out of the house when he starts to bad-mouth my green lovers, I just throw some raw meat at him. That usually shuts him up. Meat of any kind is his friend.

My only problem is that I have become a bit greedy with the avocados. I have been buying 2 or 3 at a time simply because they are only $1.99 a piece instead of $3.99 a piece. I know, it sure sounds like my money tree is flourishing, doesn’t it?

I put said avocados in the cupboard, or on the windowsill or even behind our bar to ripen. And then I forget about them. I usually rediscover them once they are covered in mold and gray fuzz.

Similar things happen in my dark and dreary crisper drawer, but I won’t get into that now.

Anyway, back to the whole cold soup thing.

I ended up loving this. The flavor was a bit smokey and even a bit sweet from the caramelized onions.

I’m not one for foods at extreme temperatures, so I made sure this wasn’t ice cold. If you would like it ice cold, feel free to add some ice – they do in the original recipe. I also served the soup as an appetizer, because I just wasn’t feeling a cold liquid for my main meal.

I only do that with margaritas.

Spicy Avocado Soup

inspired by Epicurious

Serves 2

1 avocado

1/2 cup plain greek yogurt

1/4 cup skim milk

2 tablespoons chopped, caramelized onions

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

pinch of cayenne pepper

2 tablespoons lime juice

Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Top with hot sauce if desired.

Crunchy Croutons

2 slices whole wheat bread

1/2 tablespoon olive oil

sprinkle of garlic powder, sea salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 400.

Cut bread into 1-inch cubes and toss with olive oil and seasonings. Bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes, flipping every 3 minutes.

I’m sure this soup has thoroughly grossed some of you out. I promise it’s delicious.

Are you a cold soup lover?

Mr. How Sweet is not. Well, at least that is what he says. I’ve seen him eat it though. I’ve also seen him eat ricotta cheese and coconut, both of which he “hates.” Riddle me that.

71 Responses to “Spicy Avocado Soup with Crunchy Croutons.”

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — July 22, 2010 @ 4:06 am

It so does not look gross to me!! It actually kind reminds me of a green monster, but much more luxurious! Nice and thick and creamy. Once I move into my house, I can’t wait to try all these recipes! For now, I’m stuck using my husband’s survival knife and a limited supply of other kitchen utensils at the hotel!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — July 22, 2010 @ 4:16 am

This looks delicious!! I love cold soups :)

Can’t wait to try it!

amanda — July 22, 2010 @ 4:24 am

I think this also looks yummy! I love avocados!! Ohhh here is an interesting fact about avocados… The word “avocado” comes from the Nahuatl word āhuacatl (“testicle”, a reference to the shape of the fruit). lol

Tina — July 22, 2010 @ 4:26 am

I don’t know if I could do cold soup. I’m a very big texture eater and temps of foods affect me too. Avocado is delicious though.

And the forgetting about a food thing always happens to me when I leave things out to ripen.

Marilou — July 22, 2010 @ 4:26 am

Confession: I’ve always chickenned out at cold soup … Don’t know why! It is true that it’s a little like a smoothie, but too me soup = hot.

Must try I think … one step at a time .. I’m becoming an “adult” ;)

Erica — July 22, 2010 @ 4:31 am

I’m not sure I’m a cold soup lover either. I go through phases with it. I do love avocados though. And Josh is not a fan- I don’t get it? They’re creamy and delicious!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — July 22, 2010 @ 4:52 am

I do like cold soup, but not really pureed soups. I am not an avocado fan, it is so sad. However, this soup is absolutely beautiful! I am so surprised there was not bacon on it though. My husband would probably like this one. Have a great day Jessica!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — July 22, 2010 @ 5:16 am

I say I’m not a cold soup fan but it’s been YEARS since I have had any. This recipe just might change my mind! I love avocado!

mags — July 22, 2010 @ 5:20 am

I’m not a cold soup fan either, but tease me with the avocados and now I might be interested!

Wei-Wei — July 22, 2010 @ 5:29 am

Eh, I’m not a fan of cold creamy soups. But cold, refreshing sweet soups are gooooood.

Wei-Wei

Heather — July 22, 2010 @ 5:31 am

cold soup really doesn’t bother me…a lot of times i’ll eat cold leftovers because that’s just how i roll – it insures the food is getting in my stomach faster that way ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — July 22, 2010 @ 5:36 am

Ooooh, I just saw a recipe like this in Cooking Light, and I really wanted to make it!! Yours looks even tastier!

Daniel@CocinaSavant — July 22, 2010 @ 5:45 am

Cold soups are A-ok for me. This one looks delicious with all that smooth green goodness of avocados and tangy greek yogurt. Well done.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — July 22, 2010 @ 5:48 am

I’m intrigued by this. I’m not a cold soup person either, but I can definitely see this being delish lukewarm. I think this is a must-make for me with a tropical salad on the side. Done and done.

Katie — July 22, 2010 @ 5:48 am

I’m not sure how I feel about cold soups either…but yours actually looks great! I’d have to try it room temp on a hot day…luke-warmish maybe?

Marisa @Loser for Life — July 22, 2010 @ 5:55 am

I’ve been into avocados lately, too! This soup looks delish! I’m not really a cold soup fan, but I think this one might change my mind :)

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 22, 2010 @ 5:58 am

I have never had a cold soup. I can’t seem to wrap my brain around that concept. If I am craving soup I usually want it hot. But this might be the one to try….

CaSaundra — July 22, 2010 @ 6:13 am

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever tried a cold soup–but I wouldn’t be opposed to trying one!

Paige (Running Around Normal) — July 22, 2010 @ 6:20 am

I’ve never had a cold soup – unless you count pouring a smoothie into a bowl ;) This sounds intriguing though!

Kristina — July 22, 2010 @ 6:24 am

I am a fan of cold soup – only this time of year when even turning on the stove sometimes is Coming From A Place Of No.

This looks fabulous (and pretty!) and the croutons are a MUST. (A Place Of Yes). :)

Sues — July 22, 2010 @ 6:24 am

I made something similar last year, but I love the touch of croutons!! And I’m sooo the same way with my avocados. I buy them non-stop and then let them go bad. Arghh!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 22, 2010 @ 6:33 am

I’m not a fan of avocado, but this soup looks good! I generally prefer my soups to be hot (like gazpacho for example – I’d rather give it a quick zap in the microwave!) but in the summer, cold is fine by me!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — July 22, 2010 @ 6:59 am

I’m definitely a cold soup fan, but I always forget about them. Can you post another recipe in about a week when I’m putting together my shopping list? That would be greeeeeat. :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete.wordpress.com — July 22, 2010 @ 7:25 am

I don’t usually like cold soups, but the color of your soup looks amazing! And I love avocados, so I might actually want to try this. Thanks for posting the recipe!

homecookedem — July 22, 2010 @ 7:28 am

I’ve never had a cold soup before, but I’ll tell you what… it sure would have been a whole heck of a lot better than eating the hot soup we had last night. Andrew got it in his head that he really wanted to make potato soup, and it was delicious, but omg… we were both sweating like pigs by the end of our meal!! Your avocado soup looks so refreshing and yummy!! :)

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2010 @ 7:33 am

This made me LOL. I can totally relate – my dad sweats when he eats and I got that gene (oh, yay). I’ve been there.

tanyasdaily — July 22, 2010 @ 7:50 am

I like my avacados…looks really good

SweetTreatsandMore — July 22, 2010 @ 7:55 am

I’m new to your blog and loving it! Love the combo of fitness and food! I’m obsessed with avocados, so might just have to give this soup a try.

Jennifer — July 22, 2010 @ 8:16 am

Is it bad that the only thing that stuck in my head is how much you pay for avocados? I put back a 4 pack when I was shopping because they we’re $2.99! I guess I shouldn’t complain, huh?
    The soup looks good but I’m not one for cold soups…I’m a wuss about trying anything new though.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — July 22, 2010 @ 8:17 am

I actually am a fan of cold soup. I LOVE gazpacho in all its forms. I just had one with an almond base and it was wonderful. Now, this soup? Well, considering my love of soup and OBSESSION with avocados I would say there is a very high chance I will make this. Like, now. haha Great recipe!!

Matt — July 22, 2010 @ 8:20 am

I have actually never had cold soup! That actually reminds me of a smoothie ;)

Evan@swEEts — July 22, 2010 @ 8:22 am

This looks yummy! I love avocados in anything.. I was told that if you put your ripe avocados in a brown paper bag for a day, they will ripen.. I’ve only tried it once but it seemed to work! That way you won’t forget about them on your window sill :)

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2010 @ 8:32 am

I have tried that and it does work. I just rarely have brown paper bags!

megan — July 22, 2010 @ 8:32 am

Your so funny! I’ll have a main meal of margaritas with you anytime. You bring the cold soup, looks interesting! I’ll bring bacon!!!

Beth @ bethcooks — July 22, 2010 @ 8:39 am

This looks awesome! I love cold soups.

P.S. I made some peanut butter bacon cookies last night. To die for!!
    I just posted the recipe…

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2010 @ 8:43 am

You just may be my new best friend.

Kacy — July 22, 2010 @ 8:59 am

I had avocado soup at brunch a few months back and it was fantastic. This looks delicious too!

DessertForTwo — July 22, 2010 @ 9:16 am

I love that this serves two! I can’t wait to try it! Do you remember how much onions you started with to get 2 tablespoons caramelized?

What is it with men and avocados? I don’t know a single one that likes them. This is fine with me, since I could eat this soup in 1 sitting :)

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2010 @ 9:22 am

I used about 1/4 of a medium sweet onion.

Kate @ Cozydelicious — July 22, 2010 @ 9:21 am

I’m trying to get into cold soups, I really am. But it’s a tough sell. And my husband won’t touch it. I bet it would be yummy as an itty bitty hors d’oeuvre – like in a shot glass.

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — July 22, 2010 @ 9:44 am

I think I only had cold soup once, years ago, so I’d need to try again to decide :)

You need to come to Missouri, avocados were 2/$1 at the Farmer’s Market last weekend. Helloooooooooooo guacamole!

Jennifer — July 22, 2010 @ 10:21 am

I’ve never had cold soup. It’s hard for me to wrap my brain around that concept. But I do want to give them a try – maybe a watermelon gazpacho? And definitely avocado soup, because avocados are a wonderful thing. $1.99 a piece is a bit much, but they make everything so much better!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 22, 2010 @ 10:22 am

I have never had cold soup before (well just a bite or two of gazpacho). I don’t know if I could get used to it or not … yours looks really good though!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — July 22, 2010 @ 10:28 am

that sounds so different!! i am not a fan of gazpacho…it tastees like eating salsa to me…I do love salsa but not by the bowlful! that sounds SO good and healthy too!! i can picture that being such a great thing to serve at a party as well!!

Ellen@FirednFabulous — July 22, 2010 @ 11:15 am

I only like avocados in the form of guac for some reason. (With salty chips to eat it with, of course.) But this soup looks beau-TEE-ful!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear — July 22, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

I’m really not a cold soup person, gazpacho is the only thing I’ve liked so far but you might be on to something here…. avocado soup… croutons… mmm..

Jeanette — July 22, 2010 @ 12:56 pm

Hi Jessica. I just found your website through Tasty Kitchen. I have been browsing through your recipes and workout tips on here. I have been going to the gym for the last year and have not seen the results I would like on my bottom half. I will try to implement some of your tips :). Do you really eat all this great looking food??!!

Blond Duck — July 22, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

I’m a guacamole lover.

Yum Yucky — July 22, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

I am sooo wondering what this tastes like! It has that asparagus soup look, but lemme get that flavor-thinking out of my mind before I make this!

Lisa @bakebikeblog — July 22, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

Hmm I must say that I am not sure…….although it cant hurt to try hey!!

sophia — July 22, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

I dislike cold food, unless it’s fresh fruits and vegetables. I never got the hype over gazpachos, or even those smoothies. Your avocado soup however, is seriously making me reconsider that…I would love to try it. I don’t think it’ll measure up to hot soup still, though.

Shoshana — July 22, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

Hi, just made this and it was reallllly good, better than I expected! I kinda combined your recipe with the original (mostly followed yours but added 1/2 jalapeno and lowfat buttermilk instead of skim milk, plus some cilantro and garnished with chives). Ate with whole wheat crackers and radish slices (plus a side salad) and it was great. Thanks for posting all your recipes on such a frequent basis!

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2010 @ 6:13 pm

I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks so much!

Mary — July 22, 2010 @ 5:57 pm

I don’t think I’m much of a cold soup fan, either. The first time I tried was this carrot soup and I had really high expectations for it..but the texture bombed and I just couldnt get into the whole cold thing..

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) — July 22, 2010 @ 6:27 pm

I’m the opposite of grossed out. Carmelized onions make everything delicious and avocados are my daily staple. I have to try this. With croutons too…omg, yum.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Spicy Avocado Soup with Crunchy Croutons. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Low fat diet Blog » Blog Archive » House Umami de Steamboat