Forgive Me.

Or maybe thank me?

I think I discovered the secret to eating only one cookie in a sitting.

Okay, maybe two cookies.

Three tops.

Just dip half of it in chocolate.

And yes, of course I used milk chocolate.

To me, milk chocolate is the only way to go. Dark chocolate is… okay. I’m not a huge fan. I’m sure that says something about me in the “foodie” and “tastebuds” department, but guess what? I don’t care. Give me milk chocolate or give me none.

Well, that’s a lie. I’d still probably take dark over nothing. I’m weak.

So I guess you want a recipe for the chocolate chip cookies?

They definitely aren’t my own. For the last year I have been obsessed with the New York Time’s chocolate chip cookies.

I can’t even make any other recipe. They are just so delicious.

Mr. How Sweet concurs.

He’s never really come out and told me that, but I can sense it.

You know, since he stands over the sink shoveling 7 cookies in his mouth with a Diet Coke in hand and everything.

The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies

from The New York Times

2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour

1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour

1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt

2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter

1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/4 pounds chocolate chips

Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.

Using a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy – about 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla. Reduce to low speed and add dry ingredients slowly, mixing until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for 24-36 hours.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350.

Drop spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 10-12 minutes. (The original recipe calls for larger cookies and a longer bake time, but I use a bit less dough and shorten the time in the oven.

Lesson learned: chocolate-dipped cookies are much more rich and satisfying than non-chocolate-dipped cookies.

But I still manage to eat more than one. Shocking, I know.

138 Responses to “Forgive Me.”

ta3alel — May 21, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

You cook all the wonderful recipes for delicious
    I want to ask you this cookie contains two types of flour do you mean flour with cake flour, canned vanilla flavors as periwinkle, and so on and what is bread flour
    Is it necessary to choose from two types of flour or flour that normal for all uses
    I hope the answer to my question because I am eager to make a cookie recipe that it’s more than wonderful

petal — June 8, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

Sprinkling salt on top? Doesn’t it make the cookies salty?

sassygirl711 — June 21, 2011 @ 7:46 am

They’re amazing looking, but I want mine chubbier. Any suggestions for a bigger, taller cookie? I’ve
    made the NYT recipe and it’s d’lish…chewy, crispy edges, all those good things, but not tall enuf.

• Nikky Christofferson — April 2nd, 2012 @ 10:08 pm

1/4 cup of flour, thickens up pretty much all cookie recipes so they are not a flat cookie. I short the cooking time a tad too, in order to get a tall, soft cookie.

• cindy — November 4th, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

Put the dough in the refrigerator and chill it for an hour or so. When you take the dough out, don’t ball up the dough, pile the dough high, so as they cook they will bake down but be taller and chewier when they are cooked.

• Clara — January 26th, 2013 @ 10:26 am

I have the exact opposite problem- I followed the instructions to a t and they came out fluffy and not flat- any suggestions?

• cassandra — February 28th, 2014 @ 5:55 pm

The best way to achieve a tall & soft cookie (I’ve learned from many tests) is the use of vegetable shortening in place of butter. Fats substitute equally, so it calls for the same amount, but if you’re like me and love the taste of butter, go with half of what’s called for butter and the other half for vegetable shortening. The cookies don’t spread as much! :D resulting in a tall, thick, & chewy cookie

Evangeline Holland — July 12, 2011 @ 11:13 pm

I’ve made these two times, and the second time I made a batch with King Arthur Bread Flour (the first batch was made with a generic bread flour from a bin). Surprisingly, the second batch was not as light and chocolatey-gooey as the batch made with the generic flour :/.

ashley hadley — August 8, 2011 @ 6:15 pm

i really like the idea of the chocolte around the sides. looks soooo good

Melinda Joy — October 6, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

Just entered the world of blogging and am swooning over these chocolate chip cookies. Beautiful.

caroline — December 5, 2011 @ 11:43 am

Chocolate Santa beards :)

Sarah E. — January 21, 2012 @ 3:12 am

These are one of my faves too, the only ones to top these are the triple chocolate ones I discovered about a month ago.

lint — April 19, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

This looks so delicious. I will definitely start following you, this is amazing.

Felicia — April 30, 2012 @ 9:17 pm

Somehow, I feel like dipping cookies in chocolate would make me eat even more of them… Oh, well, I’m destined to be 1000 pounds one day!

Love the blog (:

Hielspoor — October 23, 2013 @ 4:24 am

Another great recipe! WIll definitely try this out!

Chichi — January 21, 2014 @ 4:16 am

My daughter will love this. Will be trying out this recipe. Thanks for sharing, Jessica

Cristal — January 31, 2014 @ 12:06 am

Put of curiosity how many calories are these? Cause ummm I just had about 5 .. Oh my!! Soo good!!!!!

1. Pingback: Holiday Cookies | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: love crunch giveaway. « meals & moves

3. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #46 – New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies « Ella Rose Entertaining

4. Pingback: Montessori and Cookies | b out there

5. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookies | i am baker

6. Pingback: The Tooth Fairy Came – Recipe: Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies | Cooking for My Kids

7. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookies « thenoble5

8. Pingback: National Ice Cream Day | Apples & Onions

9. Pingback: Slice and Bake Cookies (Chocolate Chip) | tastes.of.juniper

10. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookies - The New York Times Top Rated Recipe!American Heritage Cooking