Salad and I have a rocky relationship.

I’m sure you assumed as much, but these days we’ve been disagreeing more than usual.

I don’t think anything can be done to save the relationship either.

But when I make salads like these, they offer a bit of therapy.

It may be a favorite out of all the salads I’ve made.

It’s no secret that my piles of lettuce aren’t exactly veggie-filled.

In my opinion, that’s what makes them better.

Duh.

And you know I can’t have a salad without cheese and bacon.

As well as the token fruit – which in this case was mango and quite possibly the most delicious mango I’ve ever had.

I think I’ve said that before. But only once. This was only my second “perfect” mango.

I wish you could have seen how I attacked it.

I also threw on one of the heirloom tomatoes I bought on Saturday.

It was beautiful and juicy and seedy and vegetabley. If you catch my drift.

Eh, so I may have picked around the one vegetable on the plate. Sue me.

I needed more crunch than just the bacon alone, so I added some toasted tortilla strips. Coupled with the avocado, it was creamy and crispy. And shrimpy.

Grilled Shrimp Salad

serves 1

2 cups lettuce of choice

4 ounces raw peeled and deveined shrimp (or cooked)

1 small tomato, chopped

1/4 avocado, chopped

1/4 mango, chopped

2 slices bacon, fried and crumbled

1 ounce feta cheese

1/2 corn tortilla, cut into strips and toasted

Cut tortillas into strips and set oven to broil. Lay strips on a baking sheet and set under broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown. Set aside.

Preheat grill. Season shrimp with salt and pepper, or marinade of choice. Grill shrimp until colors changes to light orange, about 1-2 minutes per side.

Combine all ingredients together and top with dressing of choice.

Why must salads always taste better when someone else makes them?

I need my own personal salad chef. And if they want to make me dessert too, I won’t complain.

72 Responses to “Grilled Shrimp Salad.”

Kim @ Two Good Cookies — August 26, 2010 @ 2:09 pm

This is my kind of salad. Love the shrimp and fruit combo!

Laura — August 26, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

This is my favorite kind of salad…less veggies, more toppings!

kate — August 26, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

Its so true that salads taste better when someone else makes them…or in restaurants for that matter!

homecookedem — August 26, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

This looks so awesome!! Especially with the mango in it!!!!!! :)

sophia — August 26, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

I know, right? I swear restaurants put crack on their salads or something, because they just don’t taste the same at home. Your salad looks incredible, but I would also recommend adding crispy bacon bits. ;-)

• Jessica — August 26th, 2010 @ 3:49 pm

There is bacon!
      You know I can’t do salads without it. :)

• sophia — August 26th, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

Wow. I’m such a dumbass. I misread that you can’t live without bacon and cheese, but you used tortilla chips for the crunch. This is what happens when you only get 3 hours of sleep. I think it’s a sign that I need to take a nap. Like, right now. Toodles~

• Jessica — August 26th, 2010 @ 4:03 pm

LOL no prob girl, been there, done that! I love ya. :)

Katie — August 26, 2010 @ 4:58 pm

I love salads that have such vibrant colors like yours. Mmm, for a non-veggie-lover, you sure make them look appetizing.

Paige @ Running Around Normal — August 26, 2010 @ 7:08 pm

omg mango and feta sounds delicious together! Then combine all the other ingredients?! Salad bliss!

BIOCHEMISTA — August 26, 2010 @ 11:38 pm

Well I don’t have a bad relationship with salads buuuut most of mine are as loaded as yours :) Loving the shrimp/feta combo! So summer-y :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — August 27, 2010 @ 5:26 am

How could this NOT be good?! Bacon, cheese and that MANGO! Yummers for sure! This is not a salad, this is dessert where I come from! I’m coming over for lunch with this one! I’d be scared if I had all the ingredients in the house right now as I would totally make it! Thanks!

Amanda — August 27, 2010 @ 8:16 am

You have no idea how much I am craving this right now. That shrimp… it looks amazing!! Where on earth did you get it? Wait. I better go back and read everything before I throw out maybe already answered questions.

#doh

Blessings!
    Amanda

Ingrid — August 27, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

This shrimp salad looks delicious as all your other treats! :)

Kat — August 29, 2010 @ 5:59 pm

Lady, salads without 800 toppings just seem…naked. The lettuce gives us an excuse to eat the toppings without someone raising an eyebrow at us.

Sarah Didier — February 18, 2012 @ 5:52 pm

what kind of dressing do you think would go best with that? Planning on making it this week.

• Jessica — February 19th, 2012 @ 9:24 am

I’m not the best judge when it comes to salad dressing because I actually dislike most of it and only use vinegar, but I think a citrus dressing may go well?

vrr — June 11, 2012 @ 12:13 am

You are hilarious! Love it. “it was creamy and crispy. And shrimpy.”