Salad and I have a rocky relationship.

I’m sure you assumed as much, but these days we’ve been disagreeing more than usual.

I don’t think anything can be done to save the relationship either.

But when I make salads like these, they offer a bit of therapy.

It may be a favorite out of all the salads I’ve made.

It’s no secret that my piles of lettuce aren’t exactly veggie-filled.

In my opinion, that’s what makes them better.

Duh.

And you know I can’t have a salad without cheese and bacon.

As well as the token fruit – which in this case was mango and quite possibly the most delicious mango I’ve ever had.

I think I’ve said that before. But only once. This was only my second “perfect” mango.

I wish you could have seen how I attacked it.

I also threw on one of the heirloom tomatoes I bought on Saturday.

It was beautiful and juicy and seedy and vegetabley. If you catch my drift.

Eh, so I may have picked around the one vegetable on the plate. Sue me.

I needed more crunch than just the bacon alone, so I added some toasted tortilla strips. Coupled with the avocado, it was creamy and crispy. And shrimpy.

Grilled Shrimp Salad

serves 1

2 cups lettuce of choice

4 ounces raw peeled and deveined shrimp (or cooked)

1 small tomato, chopped

1/4 avocado, chopped

1/4 mango, chopped

2 slices bacon, fried and crumbled

1 ounce feta cheese

1/2 corn tortilla, cut into strips and toasted

Cut tortillas into strips and set oven to broil. Lay strips on a baking sheet and set under broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown. Set aside.

Preheat grill. Season shrimp with salt and pepper, or marinade of choice. Grill shrimp until colors changes to light orange, about 1-2 minutes per side.

Combine all ingredients together and top with dressing of choice.

Why must salads always taste better when someone else makes them?

I need my own personal salad chef. And if they want to make me dessert too, I won’t complain.

72 Responses to “Grilled Shrimp Salad.”

Kim in MD — August 26, 2010 @ 4:11 am

YUM! Your photos are amazing! I’m allergic to shrimp, so I plan to make this with chicken. Thanks, Jessica! :-)

amanda — August 26, 2010 @ 4:14 am

I actually have all those ingredients in my house right now except the feta cheese. Looks like I might be having this as a meal today. :) Thanks!

Erica — August 26, 2010 @ 4:28 am

So colorful! The mango makes it extra pretty too.

Lizzy @ LBBakes — August 26, 2010 @ 4:29 am

Boo, this is all a tease to me – I can’t eat shrimp – I’m allergic! But I’m glad you are getting some veggies in. ;)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — August 26, 2010 @ 4:35 am

i like the idea of mango on the salad! nice combination of colors, too:-)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble)) — August 26, 2010 @ 4:38 am

This looks like a fabulous sweet n’ savory combination! Love it.

xo
    Kris

Tina — August 26, 2010 @ 4:45 am

I rarely make salads for that exact reason. They never taste good when I do it. Even if its all the same stuff. I love getting them out though. Or at salad bars.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — August 26, 2010 @ 4:50 am

Salads are the best when they are loaded with other good stuff! This one looks so good! I love making salads, but I have definitely gotten into a groove with them. From the looks of it…you aren’t doing so badly yourself! Have a great day Jessica!

Kristy — August 26, 2010 @ 4:53 am

Looks delicious, love summer salads! Quick and light, thanks for sharing! Have a great day! :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — August 26, 2010 @ 4:55 am

ohh yumyumyum!! shrimp salads are one my my favorite things ever…I love that most restaurants have them too :) with the mango and avocado, this looks like the perfect thing for summer’s last hurrah!!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — August 26, 2010 @ 5:05 am

grilled shrimp are so great, they do make an excellent salad topper!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — August 26, 2010 @ 5:25 am

Salads ALWAYS taste better when someone else makes them, which is why I never do! I like vegetables, but entree salads don’t pack enough of that comfort-food-punch that I adore so much!

Kate @ Cozydelicious — August 26, 2010 @ 5:30 am

This looks awesome! I love your loaded salads – so much yumminess in there! And mango and shrimp is one of my favorite combos – well, that and shrimp and bacon. And to put the two together… swooning!

Sophie @ yumventures — August 26, 2010 @ 5:30 am

What an awesome salad! Great idea to put crispy tortillas on top!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 26, 2010 @ 5:41 am

Your tomato looks so deep and vibrant!! Was it an heirloom?

• Jessica — August 26th, 2010 @ 5:47 am

Yes! I am loving the colors of them. That alone makes me want to eat them!

Erica — August 26, 2010 @ 5:50 am

What a good looking salad. Can salads be good looking? ha! I love that you added mango! Yum!

Wei-Wei — August 26, 2010 @ 5:55 am

Grilled shrimp, when well seasoned and fresh, can be the best thing in the world. Seafood is the sole reason I don’t go vegetarian. Oh, and bacon too. :D

Tracy — August 26, 2010 @ 5:58 am

Looks delicious! So colorful and summery!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — August 26, 2010 @ 6:24 am

I have to say that that is one beautiful salad (and I’m not even a huge salad fan)!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — August 26, 2010 @ 6:26 am

mmm anything with shrimp, mango, and bacon sounds amazing to me! I might try this with chicken as well, thanks for another great recipe :)

Maria — August 26, 2010 @ 6:31 am

What a colorful salad!

Mr. How Sweet It Is — August 26, 2010 @ 6:44 am

maybe you and salads just need a “break.” maybe you could see some bacon while you try to figure things out.

fitnfabmama — August 26, 2010 @ 6:52 am

This salad looks fab. Way better than the one I packed for my lunch.

Rebecka — August 26, 2010 @ 6:53 am

Hi Jessica,

Your’s is a wonderful salad and yes, they always taste better when someone else makes them! Go figure?

I love salads as a side dish and as a main course unfortunately, my family isn’t very fond of them. My husband’s picky food habits have rubbed off on the children however, I still try to serve a sald every week!

What happened to the notion of eating whatever mom served you at the dinner table and not complaining??
    You have a lovely blog!

• Jessica — August 26th, 2010 @ 6:59 am

Thank you!
      And seriously – my mom only made ONE dinner! If we didn’t eat it, we either not ate or could make something ourselves.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 26, 2010 @ 7:15 am

Your pictures look so pretty! I think you are catching on to this dSLR thing pretty quick!

• Jessica — August 26th, 2010 @ 7:48 am

Ahhh thank you so much! :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 26, 2010 @ 7:32 am

i have had the worst craving for shrimp lately…fuel to the fire my dear! fuel to the fire…

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — August 26, 2010 @ 7:46 am

I have some shrimp, and a salad sounds delicious — the mango and avocado sounds so good mixed in with this! Thanks!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — August 26, 2010 @ 8:00 am

I love shrimp salads! They are my staple salad in the summer. Sometimes to add crunch I crumble chips on top. Oddly delicious and very not-salady.

• Jessica — August 26th, 2010 @ 8:03 am

That sounds dreamy.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin — August 26, 2010 @ 8:12 am

That salad sounds fabulous! I love doing something similar with butter lettuce, grilled shrimp, mango, avocado, cilantro, and rice noodles. It’s like a brown down Summer Roll.

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — August 26, 2010 @ 8:29 am

Agreed – meat and cheese…&bacon&nuts&creamydressing…are a MUST on salads.

Kacy — August 26, 2010 @ 8:47 am

The ever elusive perfect mango. Swoon.

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — August 26, 2010 @ 8:53 am

holy crap that looks good. I love avocado, bacon and tortilla strips in salad. With salads, I always say the crunchier the better!

Ashley — August 26, 2010 @ 9:02 am

Do you cringe when you get to the green stuff? ;)

Kristina @ spabettie — August 26, 2010 @ 9:03 am

you are SO right… salads especially taste better when someone else makes them…

I will come make you wonderful salads You Will Love, and you can make that peanut butter banana bread. and pizza dip.

okay? okay. deal.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — August 26, 2010 @ 9:05 am

Wow.. that is one of the prettiest salads I think I have ever seen!!! YUMMY!

ps. thanks for the add on twitter!!

Katie (Sweets and Veggies) — August 26, 2010 @ 9:26 am

That salad is so colorful! I love it!!

Crystal — August 26, 2010 @ 9:46 am

Yum, shrimp! This salad looks fab!

Kelly — August 26, 2010 @ 9:48 am

You should have called it shrimp salad with bacon, but I guess if it’s coming from you I might as well assume there is bacon in it.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 26, 2010 @ 9:53 am

omg this looks sooo good, and i am soooo highly (deathly!) allergic to shrimp. came out of no where when i was 23 after a lifetime of eating them. sigh. I was a vegetarian w/ the occasional fish…and yeah, not anymore!

Got your email, totally loved it and will reply but am slammed for time and need to get outta the house :)

Jenna — August 26, 2010 @ 10:07 am

Fruit on a salad is a sure way to get me to at least attempt to like a pile of veggies. Mango on a salad is new for me though, I think I’ve got to give it a try!

Ellen@FirednFabulous — August 26, 2010 @ 10:30 am

Whoa, this looks…what’s the word I want to use today? Umm…SCRUMPTIOUS! So good. Love the combo!

janetha g. — August 26, 2010 @ 11:18 am

shrimp has got to be one of my favorite protein sources. YUM!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — August 26, 2010 @ 11:31 am

I juice up my salads, too. No shame in that.

What kind of dressing did you use? I always struggle to find new dressings for salads that I put fruit in.

Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear — August 26, 2010 @ 11:58 am

I want a personal salad chef too! :D

trang — August 26, 2010 @ 12:13 pm

That salad looks delish as I’m craving a really good bowl of greens right about now, but that’s not my reason for posting. I thought I’d share a recipe I found that involves two of your favorite ingredients: chocolate and bacon! Dark chocolate bacon cupcakes!!

=)

Maren — August 26, 2010 @ 12:18 pm

Mangoes are so frustrating because so few are actually perfect, and once you have a perfect one all the un-perfects don’t taste as good.

Becky O. — August 26, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

Okay, this salad looks so inviting. I love all the colors, flavors and textures you’ve got going on. I’m not sure if I’ve had the perfect mango yet.

Leah @ Why Deprive? — August 26, 2010 @ 1:14 pm

This looks delicious! I never make a salad without cheese – why bother? I forgot to add cheese to the salad I brought for lunch today and I’m still heartbroken about it. I mean, there’s ricotta in the dressing, but that’s not the same.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — August 26, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

I can be your personal salad chef, but if I make them they may have too many veggies in them. Don’t worry I won’t deny you your bacon though! :)

RhodeyGirl — August 26, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

I LOVE all of the different colors, textures, and flavors. This is MY kind of salad!