You know how annoying it is when you walk through the stores and see Halloween paraphernalia right now?

Or how ridiculous it is to see Christmas decorations on October 15th?

Well, this kind of feels like that.

But I just couldn’t help myself.

If pumpkin in August is wrong, then I don’t want to be right.

I just couldn’t stay away any longer.

I want Fall and pumpkin and 50-degree weather and pretty leaves to hang around all year long. Just call that my utopia.

Luckily for me, I have 6 (well, had 6) cans of pureed pumpkin in the pantry just begging to be used.

I must have inherited the hoarding gene from Mother Lovett. But don’t worry, my pumpkin doesn’t expire until 2012. Mother Lovett’s would have expired in 1994.

And she still would have used it.

I used my non-expired pumpkin and combined it with juicy, sweet apples and whole wheat flour for some super moist and fluffy muffins. They are oh-so delicious. Even if they are a bit… orange.

You never know when you may have a pumpkin emergency.

Last year I went to bake with pumpkin and couldn’t find any on the shelves due to the shortage.

My mom came to the rescue with a can, but only later did I realize that it had expired the previous year. Clearly she inherited the expired-goods gene.

After that incident, I went out and bought all the pumpkin on the shelves. Yes, I have it all. I’m the jerk that bought it all at the store before you could get there.

I’m sorry.

1/2 cup grated apple

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cup pureed pumpkin

1/4-1/2 cup milk

3 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. In a smaller bowl, combine pumpkin, egg, apple and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until combined.

Begin with adding 1/4 cup milk and stir. If batter is still thick, add additional milk. Stir in melted butter.

Spoon batter into muffin cups, about 3/4 way full.

Bake for 15-20 minutes.

It is quite apparent that I need to be sent to muffin rehab.

If you think I sit here day after day, trying to come up with as many different flavor combinations as I can, well… you’re right.

106 Responses to “Pumpkin Apple Muffins.”

teresa — August 25, 2010 @ 8:16 am

Oh Jessica!
    I do believe I need these with my coffee!
    And surely they are classified as HEALTHY!
    I think these are PERFECT for August!
    Yum!
    xo

Kara @ MyWellnest — August 25, 2010 @ 8:18 am

You’re the great pumpkin hoarder!

I would be lying if I said I didn’t get a liiiiitle excited at the sight of Halloween candy :-)

Shanna, like Banana — August 25, 2010 @ 8:19 am

This is a recipe I must make! I love it! Sounds so freakin’ delish I can’t even stand it.

I totally plan on stockpiling pumpkin once it’s on the shelves!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ — August 25, 2010 @ 8:25 am

A great recipe for fall and I am all about fall right now.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day — August 25, 2010 @ 8:27 am

I’m visioning apple picking, L.L. Bean catalogs, crunchy leaves, and hay bales. Man, I love me some fall. And I’m pretty sure I’d love me some of those muffins.

One Healthy Apple — August 25, 2010 @ 8:34 am

We have canned pumpkin year round in California- I may have had some just a couple of weeks ago :)

These look delicious. Have you tried TJ’s pumpkin butter? I bet that would be good smeared on top as well.

• Jessica — August 25th, 2010 @ 8:36 am

Yes! Love it. Can’t wait for it to be back on the shelves here.

janetha g. — August 25, 2010 @ 8:37 am

these look great, jess! pumpkin and apples. i love fall.

Mrs. Muffins — August 25, 2010 @ 8:40 am

It may or may not seem obvious, given my name but I LOVE muffins. And I love Fall. And that sounds and looks like Fall in a Muffin. I want some!!!

• Jessica — August 25th, 2010 @ 8:42 am

And I love your name!

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — August 25, 2010 @ 8:49 am

I am making theseeeee!!! For sure. When September rolls around, though ;) You see, I have this weird issue where I don’t like eating pumpkin unless it’s September through December. I feel like it’s blasphemous or something. It’s tough, though, because pumpkin is easily one of my favorite flavors/ingredients!

• heather — August 25th, 2010 @ 9:43 am

Gracie – remember that time you decided you needed to be more like ali (who looks like katy) from remember when and eat dessert first. it was a fabulous adventure, wasnt it?

i bet you the pumpkin in the summertime will be the same- I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU to give it a try. you have a few days left. DO IT.

Lorrie — August 25, 2010 @ 9:01 am

I have a can of pumpkin on my counter for this exact reason. I kept thinking to myself “is it too early”…is it ever too early? These muffins just answered my question!

kay (eating machine) — August 25, 2010 @ 9:06 am

haha i’m my mother because i know somewhere, in the back of my freezer, is a bag of pureed pumpkin from my halloween pumpkin. we horde frozen produce.

Kelly — August 25, 2010 @ 9:29 am

It’s funny, once the cooler breezes set in and school is back in session I’m ready to jump head first into fall. I love summer but fall is easily my favorite season. I just wish it could last longer. I’ve made apple almond butter muffins (on the blog of course) but never pumpkin apple. These sound yums.

fitnfabmama — August 25, 2010 @ 9:29 am

I am sooo looking forward to fall’s arrival as well. It’s my favorite season. Plus, this summer’s been to dang hot! These muffins are the perfect (pre)fall treat. Can’t wait to make these.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 25, 2010 @ 9:32 am

two of my fave flavors…apples + pumpkin. and of course it’s “fall” in terms of recipes everywhere i go now on the net but in real life, it’s hot as balls here LOL.

april — August 25, 2010 @ 9:34 am

I’m such a hoarder too.. last fall I stocked up on the huge cans from Sams club and thank goodness I did because of the shortage!

Lizzy @ LBBakes — August 25, 2010 @ 9:40 am

Ha, as soon as I saw pumpkin a month ago I grabbed a bunch of cans! I don’t ever want to be without pumpkin again – the horror! I made pumpkin whoopie pies in July, so pumpkin muffins in August is fine with me. :)

heather — August 25, 2010 @ 9:42 am

last night, we had a blogger meet up.
    it was coffee, computers, and chatter at my local shop of wonders, followed by dole whip/soft serve/veggie burgers at the local “only open for summer” special little drive in on the river.
    it was yummy, but that shouldnt shock you.

we got in a discussion about pumpkin.
    and i must agree. if pumpkin in august is wrong, i dont want to be right.
    i also may have agreed in June when I ordered a pumpkin latte.

im starting to feel the same way about gingerbread too.
    my little shop of wonders – she did a “christmas in june” special of gingerbread cookies – i SWEAR they tasted better with the sunshine. and lack of shovel.

ok. that’s a complete lie.
    there may have been a lack of shoveling the snow, but you bet your bippy there was still SOME SORT of shoveling going on in the direction of cookie to mouth.

Jenna — August 25, 2010 @ 9:45 am

Found you through TK–great photography and recipes! Maybe I’ll also work up the motivation to do some of your fitness stuff . . .

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 25, 2010 @ 10:03 am

i have missed pumpkin SO much!! who knows if I will get ot eat it *sigh* but I love the smell of pumpkin pie spice! which I use almost daily!

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — August 25, 2010 @ 10:57 am

Yay for pumpkin! You are completely not alone in your love for pumpkin…the earlier the better! When the nights get cooler and it starts getting dark earlier, all I can think about is making pumpkin-cranberry bread. Thank you for making it accepting to bake our favorite pumpkin treats before the season starts :)

Blond Duck — August 25, 2010 @ 11:17 am

Oh my gosh I’ve got all these pumpkin recipes I’m dying to make. I’m glad someone else took the plunge!

Kimberly — August 25, 2010 @ 11:39 am

These look super yummy. But where are you guys finding pumpkin?!?! I still can’t find any in any grocery store in Columbus, OH :-(
    I’m super sad.

Yum Yucky — August 25, 2010 @ 11:43 am

EXCELLENT! It’s Halloween props time!! I’m gonna stock up this year. I’ve got lost of YumYuckying to do. Okay, time to go back to the top and stare at those muffins again….

Jessica@tastyandtrim — August 25, 2010 @ 12:01 pm

OMG I got so excited when I read the title of this post! I absolutely adore pumpkin and am an apple fanatic (sometimes I eat 3-4 a day!) Thanks so much for the recipe :)

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — August 25, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

I’m not ready for fall weather but I am more than ready for fall foods! I really REALLY wanted to buy candy corn yesterday. I think I might break down and buy some next week :)

Beth @ bethcooks — August 25, 2010 @ 1:06 pm

These look awesome. It’s never too soon for pumpkin!!

homecookedem — August 25, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

I remember a few years ago I was SOOO ready for fall that I made a pumpkin pie in August. It felt so wrong, but oh so right! ;)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking — August 25, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

Yum!! I’m still hanging on to summer, but I’m not going to last much longer with gorgeous pumpkin recipes popping up ;)

BIOCHEMISTA — August 25, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

Pumpkin (any time of year) is always RIGHT! :) I made pumpkin oats and smoothies all year round :) But I agree, they taste extra delish as fall approaches!

Have a great night chica!!! <3

Biz — August 25, 2010 @ 2:41 pm

Jealous of your pumpkin stash! Next time I see it on the shelf I am buying every can!

Looks delicious :D

Jamie — August 25, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

You seriously crack me up!

Oh and I have about 10 cans of hoarded pumpkin in my pantry. I went across state lines to get it.

Caitlin — August 25, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

I wish I liked pumpkin, I REALLY do. It just grosses me out. I don’t get all excited about pumpkin stuff in the fall and when I passed a huge shelf of it at my local store (another reason you should move here) I didn’t flinch.

It’s kind of like you with the vegetables. Unless it’s buried in a bunch of other stuff, I don’t want anything to do with it.

Maybe this year when it cools down I’ll try it. Oh wait..

lindsay — August 25, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

pumpkin is little the little black dress….NEVER out of style. Yum!

lindsay — August 25, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

whoops, I meant to say its LIKE the little black dress.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — August 25, 2010 @ 5:44 pm

There’s NEVER a wrong time for pumpkin!

Annie@stronghealthyfit — August 25, 2010 @ 6:56 pm

I made pumpkin muffins today too… a few chilly days and I think it’s Autumn even though I know it’s still August! I think opening a can of pumpkin has gotten me hooked for the next, oh, 7 months or so :-)

By Word of Mouth — August 25, 2010 @ 7:18 pm

Came over to check you out after you mentioned putting rum in a mason jar, cos thought that was fab … then saw your recipe for pumpkin (was jealous as far as Fall goes since we are in Boca and nothing falls here – WAY too much botox!)
    LOVE your site!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — August 26, 2010 @ 6:21 am

I LOVE pumpkin muffins! Paired with apple sounds awesome! Thanks!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — August 26, 2010 @ 6:26 am

mmm… those look fantastic! I love pumpkin too for any time of the year!

Jennifer — August 26, 2010 @ 8:28 am

Love these! Thanks for sharing. Your blog is super cute!

Sara — August 26, 2010 @ 11:08 am

OH I am SO with you on craving fall. The crispness in the air, all the yummy scented candles, and pumpkin flavored things as far as the eye can see. Last year I hoarded as much pumpkin beer as I could get my hands on. There’s still one bottle left in my refrigerator–just enough to tide me over until fall is here again. Can’t wait! Oh, and these muffins look amazing :)

wooliegirl — August 26, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

It was you! A friend and I have been searching for pumpkin and now I must buy a plane ticket and fly your way to get some….I WANT to make these muffins, but no pumpkin to be had….we need to start pumpkin raffles…a lottery for canned pumpkin!

Emily @ For Sweets Sake — August 26, 2010 @ 5:26 pm

Those look great! I will have to try it!

Kristy — August 26, 2010 @ 5:27 pm

I am right there with you, I have been craving pumpkin this past week. Your muffins looks amazing and I bet they tasted even better!! :) Can’t wait to try this recipe, thanks for sharing!

rachel — August 26, 2010 @ 6:22 pm

i think i may have to make these, love pumpkin!

Stephanie @ Per l'Amore del Cibo — August 27, 2010 @ 9:08 am

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using pumpkin in the middle of summer. Sometimes you just have to break out the Christmas music in July, you know?! One of my favorite cookie variations is pumpkin chocolate chip, and I think these muffins would be just divine with a few chocolate chips sprinkled in. :)

Jeanne — October 7, 2010 @ 10:38 am

These muffins were beautiful, but very dense and not sweet enough. I give them a 5 out of 10. A little too heavy and “whole-wheaty” for my family.

• Stephanie — July 20th, 2011 @ 11:49 am

I had the same problem, and so did my friend who tried this recipe. They were very dense. I put vanilla glaze on them which made them sweeter, but still just too dense for me.
      I still love this blog though!

Peter — June 10, 2013 @ 10:12 pm

Oh Jessica honey, I looove your recipe , muaaachhh :)

1. Pingback: Pumpkin Apple Mini Muffins « Vinegarlic

2. Pingback: The Great Pumpkin Round Up. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Best weightloss programs Blog » Blog Archive » Muscle Building Muffins