You still have until 8pm [EST] tonight to enter the GIVEAWAY!

Yesterday, I broke out Mother Lovett’s recipes to search for something specific.

It no longer matters what that was, because almost immediately my eyes landed upon this: a recipe for homemade pumpkin pie spice!

I was giddy. My eyes bulged out of my head. I ate a block of chocolate in celebration. Okay, two blocks of chocolate.

Then I started to cry, because reading Mother Lovett’s chicken scratch is nearly impossible.

Call me clueless, but it never dawned on my to make my own pumpkin pie spice.

Sometimes I think I live under a rock.

I am sure this is not a new thing, nor is it something that is hard to find, but I had to share it with you.

I usually buy pumpkin pie spice from Trader Joe’s, and this was just as delicious. I used it to bake a pumpkin recipe that I will be sharing with you at some point. I couldn’t tell the difference – it was fabulous.

After looking at the ingredients list for the Trader Joe’s pumpkin pie spice, I saw that they put cardamom in their recipe. So once the spices were mixed, I added just the tiniest pinch of cardamom.

I wasn’t very concerned with this changing Mother Lovett’s recipe, because I am quite certain that she never followed this recipe. She most likely just threw a pinch of this and a dash of that into her pumpkin pie. That is what grandmothers do after all, isn’t it?

I also went a little lighter on the cloves, because I just don’t love them. I have great memories of them – such as waking up at 3 in the morning the night before Easter, when my mom was still trying to prepare for the guests coming the next day. She would have a ham in the oven with pineapple and cloves, and all around the memory is comforting to me.

But… I don’t really enjoy ham. And I associate cloves with ham.

Okay. I’ve said enough.

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice

4 teaspoons cinnamon

1 1/2 teaspoons ginger

3/4 teaspoon ground cloves

3/4 teaspoon nutmeg

a pinch of cardamom

Combine all spices together and mix thoroughly. Store in an airtight container.

Now, go make homemade pumpkin pie spice!

58 Responses to “Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice.”

Heather — September 12, 2010 @ 6:45 am

yes, i think i will :) i like the addition of cardamom…i especially like it because i have a full jar of it from our wedding that i’ve never used because i have no idea what it’s for…

don’t judge me :)

homecookedem — September 12, 2010 @ 6:49 am

I love recipes from grandmothers the best! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Sues — September 12, 2010 @ 6:54 am

I love this! I have nooo idea why but things like this always taste better when you mix them yourself. Plus, you can’t really go wrong with pumpkin pie spice!

CaSaundra — September 12, 2010 @ 7:08 am

Love making spice mixes from scratch–it’s so much more cost efficient!

Debbie B. — September 12, 2010 @ 7:41 am

Love the pics! I might grab this idea for a fall party favor. Each person could get there own little spice packet in a cute bag with a recipe attached! Thanks for posting!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — September 12, 2010 @ 8:00 am

good idea! i usually buy the trader joes mix but this works, especially when they are out of stock!

Katie — September 12, 2010 @ 8:16 am

You know, I’ve never thought to make my own either – now I feel kind of stupid. And I’d really like a pumpkin pie right now, too. Or maybe some cider.

Megan — September 12, 2010 @ 8:25 am

Fall is in the air and I’m loving it! Love the spice recipe. I would have to put a pinch of allspice in it too cuz I love allspice!

I made a recipe with the buffalo sauce too and I’m posting soon. Love the lettuce cup idea. Cools the warmth of the sauce. Excellent use of Saucy Mama’s condiment! :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — September 12, 2010 @ 8:57 am

Martha Stewart has a recipe for pumpkin pie spice that is similar, but lacks the cardamom– I love that addition!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — September 12, 2010 @ 9:35 am

This is great! There have been quite a few times when I have needed pumpkin pie spice in a recipe and had none. Now I can make my own :)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — September 12, 2010 @ 10:17 am

I have never thought to add cardamom! I will definitely be putting this together when I finally break down and buy the expensive organic pumpkin

A Teenage Gourmet — September 12, 2010 @ 10:36 am

Mmm. Fall. :)

Courtney — September 12, 2010 @ 10:41 am

Holy crap, I’m excited to try this! Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait for fall baking :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — September 12, 2010 @ 10:59 am

Isn’t it funny how we don’t think about making these things when they really are simple? Sometimes I feel like such an idiot for this very reason. I am with you, I like making my own spice mixes besides you can suite them more to your taste!

Jenny — September 12, 2010 @ 11:14 am

YUM! I’m so in love with anything pumpkin:)

Camille — September 12, 2010 @ 11:27 am

I don’t know why, but making my own spices never dawned on me! Duh!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — September 12, 2010 @ 11:34 am

Yay! We’re so excited it’s pumpkin eating season again! Love the idea of making our own pumpkin pie spice too…this looks so tasty and just the thought of it has us craving a huge slice of pie!

Danielle — September 12, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

Artisan spice creation!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — September 12, 2010 @ 12:21 pm

A great way to use up spices! Genius yet so simple!

Whitney @ Whitinspired — September 12, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

Yum! I will be making some of this when the weather cools off some.

Amanda — September 12, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

This is a great and simple idea! I can’t believe I haven’t thought to do this before either!

Paula — September 12, 2010 @ 2:24 pm

that`s a great idea :)

Kim in MD — September 12, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

I make my own taco seasoning and cajun seasoning, but I never thought to make my own pumpkin pie spice…duh! :-) LOL! Yet another “why didn’t I think of that?” moment!

Sava — September 12, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

Spice mix from scratch! Genius!
    I would have never thought of this, thanks so much for sharing :D

Cara — September 12, 2010 @ 4:48 pm

Oh thank you for sharing this!
    Mmm…the possibilities…cookies, oats etc.
    Pumpkiny goodness

Barbara Bakes — September 12, 2010 @ 4:57 pm

I use a lot of pumpkin pie spice, I’ll have to try a pinch of caradamom. I’m not a huge clove girl either.

Nicole (Picky Nicky) — September 12, 2010 @ 6:00 pm

I love pumpkin pie spice although I’ve never thought to make my own. Either way, you’re just in time for fall! You should try it in a banana smoothie, or sprinkled on a latte! So good!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — September 12, 2010 @ 6:44 pm

Good to know! I’ve never actually bought legit pumpkin spice before, because I usually end up just having to mix some spices together, but they never turn out quite right.

I’m definitely going to remember this and make a big batch and put in an empty spice jar! Thanks :)

One Healthy Apple — September 12, 2010 @ 7:30 pm

Thank you for posting this, Jessica! It never occurred to me to make my own spice mix :)

Fit Chick in the City — September 13, 2010 @ 3:41 am

I just made my breakfast and almost used all of my pumpkin spice. I was thinking I could just make my own pumpkin spice and now I stumbled upon your recipe! Perfect timing. Thank you!

Kelly — September 13, 2010 @ 10:45 am

This is brilliant. Do you have a recipe for Apple Pie Spice?

• Jessica — September 13th, 2010 @ 11:33 am

Working on it! :)

Renee Bezuidenhout — November 2, 2010 @ 5:42 am

Hi there, I live in Pretoria South Africa, and we don’t celebrate Halloween or Thanksgiving so we don’t have pumpkin spice in our stores… I have been looking for a recipe for so long… thank you very much for posting this recipe…

Stephanie — October 10, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

I just bought pumpkin spice today and thought, “I could mix all these spices together at home!” I still bought the pumpkin spice, but plan on filling the bottle back up with homemade pumpkin spice when it’s empty. Thanks for the recipe! I’ll be bookmarking it for future use.

Cris — October 10, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

I love the idea! PP Spice is so expensive! I always spend way too much $ making Pumpkin playdough for my kids, they love the fall scent and make all sorts of creations w them! Today we made Pumpkin Pie Icecream OMG so good! Yum! Now I’m thinking I can add some of our ice cream to smoothies w some PP spice for flavor! Yum!

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thanks, However I am encountering difficulties with your
    RSS. I don’t understand why I can’t subscribe to it.
    Is there anybody else getting identical RSS problems?
    Anyone that knows the answer will you kindly respond?
    Thanks!!

solution erp — February 12, 2013 @ 6:14 am

What an interesting article. Incredibly informative article. This article helped me a lot. Very useful information. I really enjoyed this article.

Linda Seppanen — October 27, 2013 @ 4:18 pm

P;LEASE don’t use cardamom that is already ground. The taste is just a bare fraction of the taste of freshly ground, which is a picky, finicky thing to produce, as you have to open the cream-coloured pods, take out the few black or brown meats, which are very small, and pound them in a mortar and pestle (or the back o f a spoon in a ceramic bowl). But it’s worth the effort. I make 48 large pans of apple crisp for a folk festival each year and the fresh cardamom in the topping is the secret ingredient which keeps people coming back each year, standing in line to get some before it’s all sold out, which it always is, long before the end of the festival.
    Linda S.
    p.s. and of course you don’t ever, ever use pre-ground nutmeg, do you?

1. Pingback: spicy pumpkin seed granola w/ pumpkin pie spice « Healthy Jewish Princess

2. Pingback: {Food} Spiced Pumpkin Granola « Jane B

3. Pingback: Bourbon Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: How To Make Croissants [Chocolate Croissants, Pumpkin Spice Croissants, and Cinnamon Sugar Croissants] | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Chewy Pumpkin Cookie Recipe | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub

7. Pingback: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie « Mi casa is your casa

8. Pingback: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Pumpkin Shake « Verdica

10. Pingback: Bourbon Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes | Zawks.Com

11. Pingback: Pumpkin Pie Fudge Brownie Bars. | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: Pumpkin S'mores Cupcakes | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Pumpkin Pie Milkshake Utah Mama

14. Pingback: Homemade Pumpkin Puree | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Exactly How I Make My Homemade Pumpkin Puree. | pinmeplease

16. Pingback: Exactly How I Make My Homemade Pumpkin Puree. » Easy Recipe

17. Pingback: Autumn Arugula Salad with Caramelized Squash, Spiced Pecans and Pomegranate Ginger Vinaigrette | Comiditas

18. Pingback: Autumn Arugula Salad with Caramelized Squash, Spiced Pecans and Pomegranate Ginger Vinaigrette | things I like

19. Pingback: Autumn Arugula Salad | Food and Everything Else