Something weird is happening.

I have come to enjoy a few vegetables, all in their charred-til-you-get-cancer and roasted-til-the-sugar-comes-out state after oven or pan roasting, and with lots of salt. Mr. How Sweet says anything tastes like a french fry when drenched in salt. He isn’t necessarily wrong.
So, these… things that I’ve been eating are weird ones. Brussels sprouts, green beans, kale – I mean I don’t know anyone who likes those vegetables. At least, not anyone in my real life. (As opposed to my fake life?) I don’t know who I am. I don’t know what’s happening. I’m scurrrred.

I wanted to freak myself out even more, so I made this vegetable stew. No biggie. I’ve been able to eat veggies in stew for a few years. But this was moroccan vegetable stew. I mean, cinnamon in soup? I wasn’t sure if I could hang. Lots of weird spices + many vegetables = me shakin’ in my booties.
Plus, it also called for ground coriander, and I only had these ugly, little unground balls. That just meant I got to go to work with my mortar and pestle.

Moroccan Vegetable Stew I howsweeteats.com

I ground these up using lots of elbow grease. Holy fragrant! It was like coriander city in the kitchen.

I wasn’t sure how I felt about the scent, so that just added to my fear of this dish. The only saving grace was that it was going to be stocked full with potatoes, butternut squash and chickpeas. I like those things. Sort of. Not as much as bacon. Duh.
Once this little baby knew it was going into the pot, it started to sweat.

Moroccan Vegetable Stew I howsweeteats.com

Might I just say that this was an excellent addition to the stew? The squash literally melted in my mouth.
Now get ready for it…

I can’t even describe how delicious this was. I pan-toasted a tortilla and had it on the side, dipping it into the stew and scooping up the mix. The slew of flavors that hit my tongue just kept getting better and better – a little spicy, a little autumnal – it just never stopped.

Right before eating, I added a few drops of lite coconut milk and that may have been my favorite part. Don’t fear the semi-long ingredient list. It really is very simple!

Moroccan Vegetable Stew I howsweeteats.com
Moroccan Vegetable Stew

adapted from Taste of Home

1 medium onion, chopped

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 small butternut squash, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups worth)

1 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped

3/4 cup chopped carrots

1/2 cup chopped celery

3 plum tomatoes, chopped

1 can garbanzo beans

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

pinch of cayenne pepper

1 1/2 cups vegetable broth

2 cups water

salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons coconut milk

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil on medium heat and add onions, sauteing until soft. Add spices and cook for another minute.

Stir in squash, potatoes, carrots, celery, tomatoes, broth and water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add garbanzo beans and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper based on taste preferences.

I stirred in about 2 tablespoons on coconut milk in my own separate bowl.
Moroccan Vegetable Stew I howsweeteats.com
Last night I ate some of these leftovers with more roasty, toasty brussels sprouts. That has to be like, 23 servings of vegetables right? I think I’m good for the month.

82 Responses to “Moroccan Vegetable Stew.”

homecookedem — September 28, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

I am going to ORDER Andrew to make this for us ASAP! I don’t think I’ll actually have to much trouble getting him to comply b/c this looks like something we would both absolutely LOVE!! :)

mags — September 28, 2010 @ 1:25 pm

Great fall dish and so full of goodness. I love it!

marla {family fresh cooking} — September 28, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

This is the second post today I have read about Morrocan Stews-love the idea of all these flavors and ingredients in one place. It is fun watching you try new things. I too love my veggies roasted until they are probably no longer good for me-hope that is not the case :) xo

janetha g. @ meals & moves — September 28, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

finally, a reason to use my currently unused mortar & pestle.

Katie @ cozydelicious — September 28, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

I love that this stew is not too liquidy. Almost more ragout than stew. Perfect over some couscous. Yum!

Runeatrepeat — September 28, 2010 @ 4:04 pm

I love an excuse to put cinnamon in anything! Love it :)

Moni'sMeals — September 28, 2010 @ 4:47 pm

Fantastic Meal. Wow!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 28, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

That stew sounds perfect for a cool fall evening. Very warm and comforting.

Annie@stronghealthyfit — September 28, 2010 @ 5:57 pm

Yum, i want to try that one! I’m all about soups right now :-) Especially when my husband makes it for me.

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin' — September 28, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

Yum, yum, yum. I recently posted my first Moroccan dish…definitely harder than that stew (and quite the adventure), but it smelled SO good! – http://www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

Jennifer — September 29, 2010 @ 7:13 am

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it.

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — September 29, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

This is a great recipe! You can just see fall and comfort in this bowl. I actually make something similar in the crockpot. It also had some diced chicken thighs, but that’s optional. If you make it in the crockpot you just add a can of diced tomatoes to have some extra liquid and then I add the chickpeas at the end.

El — September 29, 2010 @ 8:11 pm

I’m always looking for new vegetarian recipes. Thanks for sharing!

Suzanne — September 29, 2010 @ 11:55 pm

This looks like a perfect Fall dish, thanks for sharing it.

Sophia — October 1, 2010 @ 10:40 am

Wow, great job here. Awesome picture too! You should really consider submitting this to Recipe4Living’s Tasty Thanksgiving Recipe Contest! It looks delicious!

Ingrid — October 14, 2010 @ 11:37 am

Wow! Love butternut squash..I’m printing out this one! :)

Kristen — November 17, 2010 @ 12:11 am

That does look addicting! Yum!

suezkitchen — November 7, 2011 @ 10:05 pm

Love the colors in this stew. Makes me want to try it. Will probably need to add meat to get my husband to eat it though. Lamb would probably be good in it.

Amanda — November 14, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

Made this for dinner this evening and it was lovely. I added fennel, a new-found love of mine, and didn’t have any coconut milk, so added creamed coconut…will definitely be making is again as was great! Thanks for sharing. x

Ellen — January 20, 2012 @ 4:06 pm

I know this may be a silly question but do you drain the water from the can before you add the garbanzo beans or do you just dump it all in? I plan to make this sometime soon so I’d like to be sure whether you add the can-water or not.

Love this website by the way! Already tried a couple of recipes and quite liked them :)

• DaiDai — March 19th, 2014 @ 8:34 pm

I poured out half or so of the liquid and included the rest. If you can use fresh or not canned, I’d recommend that over canned. The flavor of the garbanzo beans was a little off for me because they were canned.

gladiator body workout free download — April 29, 2013 @ 9:52 pm

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I’m assuming
    having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very internet savvy so I’m not
    100% positive. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Appreciate it

Harriett — May 15, 2013 @ 11:30 am

Howdy, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and
    i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam responses?

If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can advise?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any assistance is very much appreciated.

DaiDai — March 19, 2014 @ 8:29 pm

I made this tonight and my husband and I loved it. The coconut milk really brings everything together perfectly. This will definitely be a staple in our menus.

1. Pingback: Kitchen Sink Cacciatore « Blog is the New Black

2. Pingback: Fall Superfood Recipe Roundup « Eat, Spin, Run, Repeat

3. Pingback: Blog is the New Black » Blog Archive » Kitchen Sink Cacciatore

4. Pingback: Three delicious things | Abu Dhabi Momma

5. Pingback: Inspiration, epiphanies and shares | seekingsanctuaryandsunshine.com