I didn’t always love sweet potatoes, but I am so glad I came around.

When I asked Mr. How Sweet what he wanted for his birthday dinner, he exclaimed “Steak! And… mashed potatoes!”

As if I didn’t see that one coming…

After a few moments of silence, I asked, “Well, what about mashed sweet potatoes?”

I’ve never seen someone’s eyes light up so bright before. He loves his sweet potatoes.

And I had never mashed them before. Or whipped them. Or whatever you want to call it. All I know is that I took a potato masher, fork and spoon and went to town.

Poor little guys never stood a chance.

I left these sweet potatoes a bit on the savory side because Mr. How Sweet doesn’t like sweet taters with all the fixin’s. Who doesn’t like that?! Give me all the cinnamon and melty marshmallow that can fit on that tater. And add some ice cream, bacon and chocolate while you’re at it.

Alas, he prefers them plain. How boring.

Thank goodness he has me to spice up his life.

I should stop. If there was ever a day to watch what I say, it should be today.

Whipped Sweet Potatoes

serves 4-6

4 large sweet potatoes

2 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

pinch of nutmeg

Cut the potatoes into chunks and place in a large pot. Cover with cold water and let come to a boil. Turn down to medium-high and let cook for about 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.

Drain water and add potatoes back to the pot. Add butter, heavy cream, salt, pepper, vanilla and nutmeg. Whip with a whisk, mashed, fork, or immersion blender. You can also put them in a stand mixer and blend, but I find that they are pretty soft and don’t need that.

Add more ingredients or additional spices to your liking.

I have a feeling that I’m going to be making lots of these whipped sweet potatoes over the next few months. You know… since I changed the game and all.

86 Responses to “Simple Whipped Sweet Potatoes.”

stacey-healthylife — October 2, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

That’s what’s missing from my sweet potatoes, and why they are not that good. I’m missing the butter and heavy cream. :)

Jaime — October 2, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

That recipe looks so delicious! That will be on my dinner table tomorrow night! Thank you.

Diane — October 2, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

Can you have a word with my daughter and tell her how good sweet potatoes are? LOL.

My husband makes something very similar but he uses butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes, but he doesn’t use cream.

megan — October 2, 2010 @ 7:56 pm

They sound pretty perfect just the way they are but I would have to add a little brown sugar/nut topping on mine. Love those Fall flavors!

newlywed — October 3, 2010 @ 5:09 am

Yum! I love sweet potatoes…wish I could get my husband to eat them too! Even toppings don’t really convince him!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — October 3, 2010 @ 1:50 pm

I want those right now. YUM!

Bubblybunny — October 4, 2010 @ 3:05 pm

I made these tonight, added ground cinnamon and sweetened with real maple syrup. Super Good!!! :D Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Tiffany — October 6, 2010 @ 8:20 am

I want to eat absolutely everything in this post, yum!!! Will definitely have to try those parfaits this weekend once I head to the grocery store to finally find pumpkin.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 6, 2010 @ 7:50 pm

Lovely! Whipped sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods in the whole world. I will be making lots of these, too!

Andrea — October 12, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

I just made these! Sorta. I’m on a dairy-free diet, so I substituted a tbs of flax oil for the butter and almond milk for the cream. Not quite as creamy, but still turned out superb!

Ingrid — October 14, 2010 @ 11:34 am

Mashed sweet potatoes look delicious!

Em — October 16, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

OH . . . MY . . . Word! I just made these for dinner (used 1/2 cup of coconut milk instead of heavy cream b/c we didn’t have any) and these are incredible. (I also didn’t peel them, but that’s just something I don’t do. I’m lazy.)

These are so insanely good. I may eat these for breakfast, lunch and dinner tomorrow. (If there’s any left after breakfast.)

Ryan — November 24, 2010 @ 4:00 am

Okay, I love the recipe, but I have to ask: This year I wanted to make a mashed potato-yam-sweet potato mix. Do you think it’s possible? I’m aiming to feed about 10 people…how many of each would I need?

I’m open to any/all suggestions!

Thanks,
    Ryan

• Jessica — November 24th, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

I think a mix could work – you probably need about 5-6lbs of potatoes. The amount of each is up to you, depends on if you want half/half or one potato more prominent than the other.

Mike — July 6, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

I tried this recipe: delicious! So far one of the best for mashed sweet potatoes, thank you for posting it.
    I recently wrote an article on the health benefits of sweet potatoes: check it out http://www.theironyou.com/2011/04/sweet-potato-hollywoods-stars-favorite.html
    Peace
    Mike @TheIronYou

Cris — September 21, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

Perfect recipe!

My grandmother taught me to bake the sweet potatoes instead of boiling them to enhance the flavor. She said that boiling water blanched the flavor of the potato. I’m going to make these for my boyfriend tomorrow — I’m sure he’ll love them!

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — October 29, 2011 @ 8:59 am

Simple and Perfect!

scott no sweat xi goggles — August 15, 2013 @ 11:50 pm

Hey there! This is kind of off topic but I
    need some help from an established blog. Is it very
    difficult to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? With thanks

Liz Weir — February 22, 2014 @ 10:42 pm

It is THAT good and simple! All the others had sugar in them and a lot of other un-needed ingredients. Simple and delicious