Last week I stumbled upon two of the “best” recipes.

Last week I also had mad chocolate cravings.

It was fate.

First up, I made the best chocolate cake ever from Amanda. I’m pretty sure I have made some version of this recipe before given the ingredients, but it just looked too delicious not to try.

It may not be made from scratch, but honestly… it is incredible. And I’m not much of a cake lover. If you have an amazing chocolate cake recipe from scratch, please share. Otherwise, go make this now. Better yet, make cupcakes. That way you can eat 13 of them in a sitting.

And once the cupcakes have cooled, you must frost the remaining 11 cupcakes with the best frosting ever. This recipe has many positive and negative reviews, but I must say I side with the positive.

See, I’m not much of a frosting fan. Don’t get me wrong, when I’m whipping up some homemade buttercream, I definitely have a tablespoon or seven. But frosting just isn’t my thing.

Until now.

I would never tell you that this is the best frosting I’ve ever had if it wasn’t. But it is. And trust me, I was skeptical. It isn’t too sweet. It’s fluffier than clouds. It was still delicious after the frosted cupcakes sat in the fridge. Just one piece of advice: follow the directions exactly.

The only sad part of this story is that I made said cupcakes on Friday night… intending we would have them for our anniversary on Sunday. Cupcakes lasted until Saturday.

Saturday morning.

Now I’m going to make another batch of frosting for dinner.

52 Responses to “Blog Inspired: Cake and Icing.”

Amanda — October 11, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

Ooh, I have been dying to try that frosting as well!! :) Glad to hear the review. Your cupcakes are beautiful!! Makes me wish I had one right now! :)

homecookedem — October 11, 2010 @ 1:37 pm

Oh my gosh, I love frosting!! Probably like you love bacon!! ;) Cute cupcakes!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 11, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

i’ve been dreaming of that icing since i saw in on PW. i’m so glad you tried it…now i’m going to make it tonight and gain 20 lbs…

Angela (Oh She Glows) — October 11, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

OMG looks amazing!!!! Great photos too.

Kristina @ spabettie — October 11, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

SO pretty…

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — October 11, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

Wow very interesting icing recipe — I’ve never known an icing recipe to contain flour!! Guess I’ll have to see if GF flour works!

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger — October 11, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

Yum.Yum.Gimme.Some!

Gosh, I’m ALL about frosting. I’m more of a “would you like some cake with your frosting” type of gal! If I’m not in a sugar coma by the time I’m done, it wasn’t worth eating HAHA! :)

I can see how these would not have lasted until Sunday!

Lisa @bakebikeblog — October 11, 2010 @ 2:03 pm

wow – that looks wonderful!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 11, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

i’d like to be eating that right now

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — October 11, 2010 @ 2:22 pm

Sometimes you just need cake! It looks super cute with all the colors! I hope you had a great anniversary!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — October 11, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

Frosting is SO my thing. I love it more than the cake! I love how fun those sprinkles are!

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — October 11, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

These look wonderful! And I’m a tad jealous that you’re not a frosting person. I’m a HUGE frosting person–forget the cake, just give me a little dollop of the topping :)

Lea @ Healthy Coconut — October 11, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

Pretty Pretty cupcakes :)

I’m not much into frosting either, I usually eat the cake first and then leave behind half of the frosting.

I hardly find the perfect ration of cake/frosting that I really like.

Now I am curious about these light and fluffy frosting, I’ll check it out.

Anna — October 11, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

Gosh that looks delicious and sprinkles, they just make me smile :o)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — October 11, 2010 @ 3:46 pm

I used to not be much of a cake person, but now I love it if its moist, decadent…and comes with loads of icing.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — October 11, 2010 @ 3:53 pm

I LOVE the sprinkle icing :)

Kim in MD — October 11, 2010 @ 4:20 pm

OMG, Jessica! Sometimes I think we crave the same things…what is up with that? ;-) I have been dying to try PW’s frosting, but the negative reviews kept me putting it off. If you say it’s amazing, then count me in! Thanks for testing it for us! :-)

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — October 11, 2010 @ 4:27 pm

Cupcakes for breakfast are the best!

the blissful baker — October 11, 2010 @ 4:50 pm

such a pretty cupcake!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — October 11, 2010 @ 5:29 pm

omg those sprinkles are the best!!!!!!!!!!!! I love them so much better than sprinkles

the best chocolate cake ever, huh?? guess I need some of that on my list of post competition treats!!

vanillasugar — October 11, 2010 @ 5:43 pm

ever eh? ok i’m in. i’ll give it a go. and i am a frosting junkie. i could have sworn you’d be too.

Abby — October 11, 2010 @ 6:35 pm

Now all I want to do is eat icing. Thanks.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 11, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

Those look delicious – and I’m kind of jealous that you could eat all those cupcakes without getting major stomach cramps. My stomach would die!

Andrea — October 11, 2010 @ 6:46 pm

Oh…wow! Your top photo might be one of the cutest cupcake shots ever! These sound phenomenal. The boyfriend would love to get his hands on one of these :)

Jess — October 11, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

Such cute cupcakes!! love the sprinkles ;)

Cara Craves... — October 11, 2010 @ 6:55 pm

Those are so cute!
    I love the colourful sprinkles…I don’t like to eat sprinkles particularly, but
    I like to looks at them :)

Caitlin — October 11, 2010 @ 7:06 pm

That may be the world’s most perfect looking cupcake. HOW do you do it? Also, frosting is SO hard to get *just* right. I have a hometown famous recipe but I think it may be too sweet for you.

Your loss.

Mr. How Sweet — October 11, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

Mr. How Sweet swears that he did not wake up in a pile of spent cupcake wrappers and several empty cans of Diet Coke

Novelty Birthday Cakes — October 11, 2010 @ 8:53 pm

Any chocolate cupcake with any frosting is good, and now I’ve got a reason to try some more. Thanks for sharing these two ‘best ever’ recipes.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — October 11, 2010 @ 9:00 pm

Chocolate Cake is one of the best foods in the world. I cannot wait to try this. thanks!

Wei-Wei — October 12, 2010 @ 4:22 am

I think that I can eat that frosting for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was SO GOOD. It’s the only kind of frosting I’ve ever made. Seriously.

Jane B — October 12, 2010 @ 4:48 am

It’s not an amazing chocolate cake recipe from scratch (though I do have one on the “to blog” list) but the link below is an amazing cake nevertheless…that can be turned very easily into cupcakes:
    You could even argue it’s a “healthy” cake because it has raspberries (fruit) and yoghurt (protein) in it. We’ll ignore the sugar and cream cheese frosting…
    “Fluffy as clouds” is definitely a good description for that frosting. Thanks for sharing!

Kacy — October 12, 2010 @ 10:48 am

I loooove frosting. Cake is just okay, but frosting is bomb. If I baked, I would so try that. Since I don’t, I might just go buy a cupcake.

Trish — October 12, 2010 @ 12:06 pm

I’m having one of those days where a couple dozen cupcakes might just be what I need to help me stay sane.

I think a trip to the store after work just got slipped into my schedule.

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — October 12, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

Yumm. I’ve been meaning to try that frosting since forever!

Camille — October 12, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

I’m happy to say I’ve made the frosting and it is awesome!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — October 12, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

I make a very similar cake – I love putting it in a bundt pan and then dousing it in a chocolate glaze. Yum, yum, YUM. I especially like it when it’s cold. :-)

Donna — October 12, 2010 @ 5:19 pm

u was so glad to see this post today because i was looking for a cake recipe for my daughter’s birthday today. I made both the cake and the icing and they were both exactly as you described! I thought i had 2 cake pans but i only had one so i used a bundt pan and unfortunately over-filled it, so the appearance was not so perfect but definitely delicious. Thank God i did a Crossfit workout today but it probably still wasn’t enough to burn off all i ate.

Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes — October 14, 2010 @ 9:13 am

I am SO trying that frosting, and as far as chocolate cake, I *love* the Hershey’s version – used it via a Brown Eyed Baker recipe, and it was perfect.

Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats — October 19, 2010 @ 6:09 pm

I ADORE that first picture!!!

MrsABC1016 — October 23, 2010 @ 11:04 am

I make and sell cakes as a hobby, and I make my cakes almost exactly like this one. The original recipe is from the basic cake recipe from The Cake Doctor. You can change up flavors and box mixes for some pretty awesome things. Here’s the basic recipe for you to play around with.

1 cake mix (Any flavor. Not the pudding added in kind if you can help it.)
    4 eggs
    1 stick of REAL butter, melted
    1/2 cup of liquid (Coffee for chocolate, water if you are in doubt, any flavored juice if you are looking for a fruity cake, etc.)
    1 single serving size yogurt (Any flavor)
    1 box of instant pudding mix

Dump it all in your mixer. It’ll get thick.. like pudding. I usually bake on 350 and it depends on size and pan for time.

I’ve made one that was chocolate mix, banana foster yogurt, and banana pudding. Topped with whipped cream, cherries, and nuts. BANANA SPLIT CAKE! Also, Lemon all around with lemon juice with buttercream with lemon zest and a little lemon juice. Yummy.. the possibilities are ENDLESS!

Julia — October 24, 2010 @ 5:33 am

I made this cake last week!! It was fabulous and I also have made a version of this cake before. I did make “the best frosting ever” from the Pioneer Woman’s Tasty Kitchen and it was really good and not too sweet. I’m pretty sure I still have a piece or two of this cake in the fridge…is it wrong to eat cake for breakfast?

Suz — October 26, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

After bookmarking this and thinking about it a ton, I finally found a time to make it. The cupcakes with the frosting alike. I’m so proud to finally step outside the box cake mix bubble! I like boxed cake mix on its own, but this was fantastic, not as predictable, and the texture with the mini chocolate chips was amazing. Although, the recipe says to add 10 min to the baking time on the box. I overcooked the crap out of the first batch. Next batch was actually just at or less than what the box said (20 min for cupcakes… weird?) Just touching the middle of a cupcake and seeing if it springs back was the perfect test.

And I do say I’m a frosting snob. I do not like store bought frosting because I think it tastes like oily plastic. The flour-milk mixture turned out way thicker than it looks like in the picture, more like a dough. But I tried it anyway and it turned out fine! My first impression of the frosting was it was too buttery and not sweet enough. But paired with the cupcakes it’s a phenomenal mixture of everything. Oh and I died the frosting orange for halloween. :)

Thanks for the new favorite recipe for the girl who’s recipie book is 80% deserts anyway!

Manny — October 28, 2010 @ 10:11 am

I posted this comment on Pioneer Woman as well, but this frosting recipe makes an insane cappuccino frosting! I make chocolate cupcakes and then just add one packet of Starbucks Via to the frosting at the stage when you add the sugar to the butter… seriously, I’ve made this mocha combo twice for work now and each time it’s been almost embarrassing how many compliments I received!

Cartier jewellery — December 8, 2010 @ 11:51 am

It is the truth.

ED Hardy Hoodies — December 8, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

It is a pity, that now I can not express – I hurry up on job. But I will be released – I will necessarily write that I think.

cartier bracelet — December 8, 2010 @ 6:05 pm

Very curious topic

ED Hardy Clothing — December 9, 2010 @ 3:01 am

I join told all above. We can communicate on this theme. Here or in PM.

ED Hardy Clothing — December 9, 2010 @ 10:09 am