I realize that sharing these crackers after sharing red velvet cookies is like getting dumped after an exceptional first date. I may as well talk to you about cardboard.

But I share all of my adventures in the kitchen with you, so I couldn’t let this one go by the wayside. Especially since these were extremely tasty and it was my first cracker-making venture.

And while they may look like cardboard, they (surprisingly!) tasted hearty and crunchy and cheesy.

I’m not a huge cracker fan. Occasionally I crave the “crunch” of certain snacks, but I’d usually much rather swim in a big pool of chocolate and peanut butter.

Mr. How Sweet on the other hand is a huge crunchy snack lover. Most nights after dinner, after he tells me he is stuffed to the gills and can’t even imagine eating dessert, I find him munching on 10 pretzel sticks.

He.is.strange.
Needless to say, these crackers were a big hit in our house. Bonus points for them being 100% whole wheat – especially since that means I topped them with giant chunks of gouda cheese and a big slather of pumpkin butter.

Easy Cheesy Whole Wheat Crackers

1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 cup warm water + 1-2 tablespoons

1/4 cup parmesan cheese + more for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 400.

Mix dry ingredients together, add parmesan cheese, then add oil and 1/2 cup water. Mix until a dough forms. Add additional water if needed. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and lightly flour. Roll dough out until very thin. Using a pizza cutter, draw lines cutting squares in the dough. They crackers will separate as they bake. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

Ever tried your hand at homemade crackers? Now that I got these easy ones out of the way, I need a more complicated recipe.

101 Responses to “Easy Cheesy Whole Wheat Crackers.”

Kristina @ spabettie — October 13, 2010 @ 9:44 am

I made some crackers from the Primal Blueprint book over the summer… cashews, pine nuts & basil, etc… SO good!

Jason is the same way… we’ll have a huge dinner, and 20 minutes later he’s eating his almonds. :D

Noelle @Opera Singer in Kitchen — October 13, 2010 @ 10:28 am

Yummers, I have never made my own crackers. Looks like wheat thins. :)

Bruna Capraro — October 13, 2010 @ 10:31 am

yummy!!! delicious pictures *-*
    your blog is just fantastic, girl! Love it!!!
    Kisses from Brazil <3

Andrea — October 13, 2010 @ 10:43 am

I am a cracker fanatic! If I can find a good batch that I can make on my own, that would be a homerun! They look great :)

natalie (the sweets life) — October 13, 2010 @ 10:49 am

these look AWESOME! next time i make crackers i’m going to make them all pretty like yours :)

i made a batch a few weeks ago—went for the more “authentic” look but the taste was perfect! http://www.thesweetslife.com/2010/09/basil-parmesan-crackers.html

Kacy — October 13, 2010 @ 10:50 am

Hahaha, I love your analogy but cheesey carbs are ALMOST as tempting as red velvet cookies. Okay, not really, but they still look really good :)

Blond Duck — October 13, 2010 @ 10:57 am

You’re hardcore!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — October 13, 2010 @ 11:07 am

these are awesome looking!!!!

i have made my own version in my dehyd before and they were vegan and GF but I have never made anything in an oven even tho i told readers they could and some said they tried and had good results but yours look professional!!!! I heard Nabisco wanted to give you a job!!!! :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) — October 13, 2010 @ 11:10 am

I’ve been wanting to make crackers from scratch but haven’t had a good recipe to use- these look simple and have cheese in them, so I’m basically sold. :)

What did you use to mix the dough? Hands, spatula, mixer?

• Jessica — October 13th, 2010 @ 11:20 am

Just a good ol’ spoon. :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — October 13, 2010 @ 11:57 am

for some reason making homemade crackers or hard things like biscotti scare me! i dont know why but they do! now that I see yuo do it step by step its a little less intimidating though :) these look SO good!! mmm topped with cheese

Sues — October 13, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

I’ve never considered making my own crackers, but I have to say you’ve completely inspired me!! These look absolutely amazing and right up my alley.

Jenny — October 13, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

Wow, you did an excellent job! :) Pretty pictures!

homecookedem — October 13, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

These look WAY better than store bought crackers! I haven’t ever made my own crackers, but these look awesome. And I bet moms would have fun letting their kids use cookie cutters to make fun shapes!

Fit Chick in the City — October 13, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

I’ve never even thought about making crackers. Super impressed!

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — October 13, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

I haven’t made crackers yet, but my family has made homemade communion wafers several times. They were so good that many of them often never made it to the church!

Janetha @ meals & moves — October 13, 2010 @ 3:19 pm

Um, the cookies AND the crackers look insanely good. I want to try both!

blackbookkitchendiaries — October 13, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

these look so cute and yummy:) thank you for sharing this.

Ellen@FirednFabulous — October 13, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

Who needs Cheese-Its when you can *Poof* whip up your own yummy, cheesy crackers?! You continue to amaze me..

Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) — October 13, 2010 @ 6:18 pm

How fun!! I’m a cheese and cracker girl (over PB and chocolate sorry!) – I have to try making my own crackers!

Laurab @ foodsnobstl — October 13, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

Joy The Baker has a great recipe for poppy seed crackers. If I had all the time in the world i would make them each week.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 13, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

your crackers are WAY pretty! they look like cheeze-its…but better :)

Diane — October 14, 2010 @ 6:17 am

Your opening cracked me up!!!! LOL!
    I am like your hubby re: salty snacks, so I think I am acually more drawn to the crackers then the RV cookies!!!

Sorry your pumpkins didn’t turn out- I am a crafty person, but can’t cook, so we are even!

New to your blog, and glad to have subscribed- you have a lovely way with words!
    Diane

Eliana — October 14, 2010 @ 7:36 am

I don’t mind that these came after red velvet because they soud cheesy and delicious.

Ingrid — October 14, 2010 @ 11:30 am

I love it! Homemade crackers! Yum!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 14, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

Earlier this afternoon (before I saw your post), I was thinking that I need to try making some homemade crackers. Sometimes I think you read my mind! These look great… And reaffirmed my decision to make some crackers.

Suzy — October 14, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

these sound really good! Just wanted to let you know I”ve tried a couple of your recipes lately (I put them on my blog, but linked back to you) loving everything so far!!

• Jessica — October 14th, 2010 @ 5:19 pm

Thanks – so glad you’re liking the recipes!

Bridget — October 14, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

My crackers just came out of the oven and MY OH MY I am in love. I will never buy a box of crackers again. THANK YOU!!! :)

• Jessica — October 14th, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

I am so glad you like them!

Megan — October 18, 2010 @ 7:49 am

I need to try this recipe. Tasty and easy are two of my favorite words!

EAT! — October 18, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

Looks delicious! These tasty sounding crackers are next on my list of treats to make.

Rian — February 23, 2011 @ 8:30 pm

i just made these. my pan was too small so they were thick and chewy, but that just made them even more filling!! still yummy!

susan in alaska — February 23, 2011 @ 10:15 pm

I just found this post and can’t wait to make these! I’ve been thinking about making crackers for a while just didn’t get around to finding a recipe. Super excited about this one. Thanks!

p.s. LOVE your site. Many many many things I want to try. :)

Kita B — October 18, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I have been looking for an easy cracker recipe and something to use the pastry flour I have. I modified it a bit with sharp cheddar, and they were delicious! I hope you do not mind, I linked back to your recipe on my blog.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Easy Whole Wheat Crackers | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Baking Extravaganza « The Runner's Plate