[You may have seen this post yesterday, however it was deleted when my server was finally transferred over. Th good news – the server transfer is complete! Take another look, and I will have some more goodies up later today.]
Behold my beloved fruit.

Chocolate Fudge Pomegranate Cookies I howsweeteats.com

The first time I had a pomegranate, way back in 2007 before I knew what a blog was and when my pants used to fit, I was disappointed. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but didn’t think I’d experience a plethora of little fuschia seeds. This was long before pomegranate-cutting tutorials were aplenty.
Okay, there probably were millions of pomegranate tutorials, but I had much more of a life back then and it did not include wasting my life away on the internet. My… how times have changed.

Chocolate Fudge Pomegranate Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Since discovering this delicious, vibrant and quite expensive fruit, I’ve done nothing short of throwing it into every recipe I can get my hands on. Especially when it comes to desserts. But those desserts tend to be cheesecakes and ice creams and treats that are sprinkled with the arils. I wanted to make a sweet with the arils inside: double fudgy chocolate cookies stuffed with gooey chocolate chips and studded with pomegranate jewels.
You don’t get an overwhelming pomegranate flavor with each bite, but you do get a tart “pop” of juice when you come upon a seed. The arils remain juicy through baking and add such a delicious texture to the cookie. And it also gives them a splash of pink color. I’m all over that.

Chocolate Fudge Pomegranate Cookies I howsweeteats.com
Chocolate Fudge Pomegranate Cookies

makes about 30 cookies

1 cup butter, at room temperature

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups flour

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons pomegranate juice

1 cup chocolate chips

1/2 cup pomegranate arils

Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt, then pomegranate juice and mix until combined.

Fold in chocolate chips and arils. Refrigerate dough for 2-4 hours (or more). When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350, roll into balls and set on baking sheet.

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Let cool completely.
Chocolate Fudge Pomegranate Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Wasting my day away is so worth it for this.
PS -> there is Facebook giveaway going on!

81 Responses to “Chocolate Fudge Pomegranate Cookies.”

Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun — November 13, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

Jeez, those cookies look delicious! Never thought of the chocolate and pomagranate combo, but hey, don’t knock it ’til you try it! :-P

• Laura @ GotChocolate — November 13th, 2010 @ 5:14 pm

I Hear ya on this one Erika! I LOOOOOOOOOOVE pomegranates and CHOCOLATE!!! This combo must be fabulous!!!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — November 13, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

How do you even think of these things? I’m so glad you switched servers! You must feel so relieved.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — November 13, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

i love how you described the tart pop in each bite! I never would have thought ot marry these two flavors! I LOVE pom seeds.

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — November 13, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

Now that is a beautiful way to use pomegranates! Those look yummy! I just did a post about how to get the arils out of a pomegranate- now I just need good ideas to use them! Thanks!

nancy k — November 13, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

These look really yummy…perfect for Saturday baking. I have to tell you that I really enjoy your posts. I happened upon your blog a while back by linking through the comments section of another food blog and I continue to check out what you are up to. Your recipes are great and your post a fun read. Thanks!

Miriam — November 13, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

I had trouble with your site yesterday but really wanted to comment on how delicious these look. Do you ever buy the dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds from Trader Joes? If not, I highly recommend them. YUM. To be extreme you could probably even put them in these cookies…

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — November 13, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

mmmmmmmm

megan — November 13, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

These look like a mouthful I want.
    BTW-Your not wasting time! Your inspiring hundred and thousands of us. Thank you!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — November 13, 2010 @ 3:08 pm

What an interesting idea! I love how the red arils poke through the chocolate in the cookies.

WenDee Riffe — November 13, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

is this really good???i just cant see it???be honest!!!!

• Trace — November 14th, 2010 @ 11:25 am

IT IS AMAZING!! I just made it today. I halved the recipe, added more arils and fewer choc chips. It’s kinda crunchy on the outside with a delicious brownie center and tang from the seeds. Love it!!

• Jessica — November 14th, 2010 @ 11:54 pm

Glad you like them!

Camille — November 13, 2010 @ 3:43 pm

Woah, so unique!
    We used to have a pomegranate tree at my parent’s house when I was little and I would just go to town on those pomegranates every year :) My lips and fingers would be stained red for a good month.

Nicole, RD — November 13, 2010 @ 4:04 pm

Oh wow, I am making these today or tomorrow. For sure. Soldddddddddd!

Kim in MD — November 13, 2010 @ 4:14 pm

What a fabulous combination! You can almost trick yourself into thinking they are healthy, what with all those antioxidents and all! ;-)

Katie — November 13, 2010 @ 4:18 pm

Congrats on getting your server all transfered! Hooray!

Also, I’ve never put pom seeds in anything! I have always just eaten them straight up…I’m a little scared.

Katie @ cozydelicious — November 13, 2010 @ 4:24 pm

I LOVE this idea – am making these cookies TODAY. I have a ton of pomegranates, perfect timing. Yum!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — November 13, 2010 @ 6:53 pm

Great idea! I never though to use pomegrantes in cookies!

Jill@MyAdviceQuarterLife — November 13, 2010 @ 8:48 pm

I LOVE the color of these cookies. They would be perfect for a bridal shower or baby shower!

Baking Serendipity — November 13, 2010 @ 9:21 pm

Pomegranate is the perfect addition to all that chocolate :) Yum!

Imwaytoobusy — November 14, 2010 @ 1:19 am

Nice to have you back! I have never mixed pomegranates and chocolate. That combo sounds delicious!

Amy — November 14, 2010 @ 4:32 am

Just made these and they turned out DELICIOUS!!!! Thanks for the awesome idea!

• Jessica — November 14th, 2010 @ 11:54 pm

You are welcome! Glad you like them.

Jacque — November 14, 2010 @ 8:09 am

oh, wow! these look absolutely AMAZING! Your pictures are fantastic, and I shall be making these soon! Real soon!

• Jessica — November 14th, 2010 @ 11:54 pm

Thank you!

Katrina — November 14, 2010 @ 12:06 pm

These cookies appeal to all of my senses. Oh my!

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — November 14, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

Oh my….I am making these today!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — November 14, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

Yum! I always garnish with the pom seeds, but have never actually baked/cooked them. I can only imagine how delish these cookies must be!

Andrea — November 14, 2010 @ 9:36 pm

Oh my GOODNESS. I must try this. Great combo!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) — November 14, 2010 @ 9:44 pm

I would never think to bake with Pomegranate!! These look beautiful!

Kat — November 15, 2010 @ 12:13 am

I love pomegranate and those look delicious. Next time I get a pomegranate I will make these

Cara Craves... — November 15, 2010 @ 12:26 am

Such a creative idea!
    I would have never thought of this.
    Love it.

Tracy — November 15, 2010 @ 12:41 am

These look heavenly, Jessica! Definitely on my list of things to make!

Salah@myhealthiestlife — November 15, 2010 @ 3:20 am

pomegranate + chocolate? Does it really get any better than that??

Tulika — November 15, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

This is a fantastic idea! I have been thinking of ways to use up my pomegranate, but I never thought to combine chocolate and pomegranate!

Leah — November 17, 2010 @ 3:34 am

just took these out of the oven and i couldn’t wait for one to cool to try it. they are amazing. i made half a batch, but kept the pomegranate arils at 1/2 cup and bumped down the choc chips a bit. thanks for the great idea!

Batman's Mom — November 17, 2010 @ 5:01 am

These cookies are WONDERFUL! Even my picky family gobbled them up. I used 2/3 C arils and everyone said to use even more next time. The pop of flavor in the cookies is great! Thank you!!

• Jessica — November 17th, 2010 @ 12:11 pm

Great to hear! :)

Miriam — November 17, 2010 @ 10:31 pm

Wow those looks AMAZING! I just want to lean on and grab one!!!!!

MKR — November 18, 2010 @ 9:39 pm

The headache-induced, emotional PMSing woman in me is thanking you to no end for this recipe!

• Jessica — November 18th, 2010 @ 10:27 pm

You are welcome! :)

Chrissie — November 19, 2010 @ 2:58 am

You inspired me! I made banana oatmeal muffins and added pomegranate to them. They are SO good! I’m definitely going to try your recipe though, but wanted to thank you for making me think outside the box. :)

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 3:17 am

Those sound delicious!

Kristen@PrettySweet — December 3, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

These cookies are so different from the norm that I knew I just HAD to try them. My husband was a doubter, but he definitely came around…even praising them multiple times, which he doesn’t often do. =) Our three friends who came over all really loved them, too – there was some discussion over who got the last one…The pomegranate arials add such a tiny pop of unexpected tartness that these cookies really are addictive!

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

I am so glad you guys enjoyed them!

Wendy T. — December 12, 2010 @ 7:32 pm

Holy mackerel! If the taste of the batter is any indication of what these are going to taste like….they will be fabulous!

The Menu Mama — December 14, 2010 @ 7:23 pm

Okay, so I’ve already made these once and LOOOOOVED them, but today I am making them for a cookie exchange and I think I’m going to replace half the chocolate chips with white chocolate chips. I think the brown, white and pink will look so pretty. :-)

• Jessica — December 15th, 2010 @ 1:54 am

I bet they will be SO pretty. So glad you like them!

Jill — July 1, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

These looks like heaven, but I can’t find fresh pomegranates very easily in my neck of the woods. However, I did find dehydrated pomegranate seeds in an Indian market today. Do you think they would work? They didn’t look totally dry, there was some moisture in the bag and arils. Is it worth a shot?

Sri — October 30, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

oh. my. god.

i’m trying so hard not to lick my computer screen right now.

Nikki — October 30, 2011 @ 7:35 pm

These were delicious! I didn’t have pomegranate juice so I substituted Balsamic Vinegar. Super tasty!

Mike — October 31, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

Look really really good!!! Pomegranate are a miracle food: they are a very high source of anti-oxidants!

Peace
    Mike @TheIronYou

suezkitchen — November 7, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

These sound so good! I absolutely love pomegranates, but like you I sprinkle them on salads or other foods. The combination of pomegranate and chocolate would be really good!

Leah Kinghorn — November 12, 2011 @ 11:44 pm

I tried this recipe today and your cookies look so much better than mine. Maybe I mixed it too much or didn’t leave them in the fridge long enough. Who knows. I will try it again because they still tasted good and I loved having the seeds pop. They went too flat. Thanks for sharing!

elora — November 25, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

how many pomegranates should i buy? how many did you use to make a half cup? thanks! can’t wait to bake them!

Rebecca — November 30, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

Mmm, these look so amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I can’t wait to try them!

Laura — December 19, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

I made these and everyone in my office loved them

Attica Lewis — January 21, 2013 @ 10:00 pm

I just put a batch in the oven and I can wait till they are done! I send a update later and you have somw great recipes on here I wish I had time too cook them all!!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Double Chocolate Fudge Pomegranate Cookies! -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Finally! | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: What A Week | veg:ology

4. Pingback: Friday November 19th, 2010 « The Mediocre Mom's Guide to Greatness

5. Pingback: Eggs, Butter and Mise en Place « Life Undeveloped.

6. Pingback: On Track & In the Freezer « ARoadMoreBalanced

7. Pingback: Pomegranate White Chocolate Chunk Cookies | Christmas Cookie Recipe | Two Peas and Their Pod

8. Pingback: Choco Pom Goodies « runyogarepeat

9. Pingback: What’s Up Doc?Sweet Tooth Secrets

10. Pingback: It really is sweet! « Snacks and the City

11. Pingback: It really is sweet! | SNACKS AND THE CITY

12. Pingback: New Season, New Style « Jordan Marie Photography

13. Pingback: Pom-perfect | sippy cups & chardonnay

14. Pingback: Sunday Dinner Adventure « alisueonthemove

15. Pingback: Chocolate Fudge Pomegranate Cookies « Eat Love Repeat

16. Pingback: Granatapfel-Schokoladen-Cookies | Rinjah

17. Pingback: The Ultimate Christmas Cookie Post « oh so decadent

18. Pingback: Peppermint Fudge Cookies

19. Pingback: Guest Post: Chocolate Fudge Pomegranate Cookies. | Cakey Bakes

20. Pingback: Fudgy-Chocolate Pomegranate Cookies |

21. Pingback: Chocolate pomegranate cookies with mini chocolate chips | Sweets with Sara

22. Pingback: Merry Cookiemas | Nicole Lavigne