I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to share a recipe with you.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

Or to lick a bowl.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com
The secret ingredient here? You may think I’m crazy… but it’s a spoonful of actual cake mix.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

All you must do is whisk it well into the melted white chocolate. Best decision ever.
And don’t worry about “what to do with the rest of the cake mix.” Store it for later. Make more bark. Make cake-mix cookies. Eat it off a spoon. Bake a cake. Mail it to me.
Just don’t not make this because you’re worried about the extra cake mix. It’s simply a detail.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

The truth is, I’ve never been much of a “bark” person. I think barks tend to be beautiful, colorful, and make fabulous gifts, but I’m not really interested in eating my chocolate with nuts and fruit. I decided yesterday that I was going to make some form of chocolate bark, but I knew it had to be different. Not plain, old, boring bark.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

After laying on the couch slurping butter-soaked shrimp scampi, plowing through a bag of m&m’s and watching 7 hours of Lifetime television, I had my answer: cake batter. I don’t know where it came from. I swear it was an epiphany. Or perhaps I had just swallowed way too much sugar.
Yes, it may be quite a trendy flavor, but can you really ever go wrong? I think not.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

And I didn’t want to just make white chocolate bark. This baby needed a little more personality. More spunk. More flavor. More richness. More calories. More reason to buy new bigger pants.
So I added a dark chocolate layer too.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

Did you know I have an obsession with sprinkles? Now you do.

I’d put them on everything if I could. Color me 5 years old.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com
Cake Batter Chocolate Bark

6 ounces high quality dark chocolate (I used Lindt 70%)

12 ounces high quality white chocolate (I used Lindt)

3 teaspoons yellow cake mix

sprinkles of your choice (at least 3 tablespoons worth or more)

Melt dark chocolate either in the microwave or a double boiler. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour chocolate on. You can smooth it with a spatula to the thickness you desire. Stick in the freeze for 20 minutes.

Melt while chocolate. Whisk in cake mix slowly, stirring well until no lumps remain. Let it set for 3 full minutes (or at least until it slightly thickens). Remove baking sheet with chocolate from the freezer and immediately pour white chocolate on top. Sprinkle on sprinkles. Freeze for 20 minutes.

Once set, break into chunks. Keep refrigerated.
Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

All I really want to know is how I can possibly top this treat. Riddle me that!

441 Responses to “Cake Batter Chocolate Bark.”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 3, 2010 @ 11:39 am

These are super cute for many reasons, but here are two…

1) Everything is better with sprinkles :)

2) If there’s even the tiniest hint of cake batter flavor in these, I will inhale them!

Barb — December 3, 2010 @ 11:44 am

OMG, I might have to add these to my christmas cookie trays that I give as gifts! Thanks for sharing!

barefootgirl27 — December 3, 2010 @ 11:48 am

you.
    are.
    a
    genius.

we are SOOOO making these!!!!!!

Erika [FoodFitnessFun] — December 3, 2010 @ 11:55 am

Cake batter – GENIUS! :-)

the blissful baker — December 3, 2010 @ 11:58 am

what a brilliant idea for chocolate bark! it’s perfect for the holidays, AND birthdays too!

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

I didn’t even THINK about birthdays! It would be great!

• Ann — May 27th, 2011 @ 9:00 am

Birthdays? Holidays? F- That, I’m making these for a group that runs around in the woods trying to beat people with Plumbing supplys (aka Larpers!). I am so excited about this! Thanks!

Corinna — December 3, 2010 @ 11:59 am

Brilliant!
    Simply brilliant.

Jessica (Fit and Clean) — December 3, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

Oh my goodness! I saw this and was like, you’re a genius! :) Can’t wait to make these today!!!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — December 3, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

this is genius! what do you think of using milk chocolate instead of white? though i can’t imagine it would look as pretty!

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

Oh I’m sure! It would definitely work, but like you said it won’t look quite as pretty.

Courtney — December 3, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

Mmm, looks delicious! Love the colors!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 3, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

I am not a cusser, but holy shit jessica – this looks awesome.

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — December 3, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

This is so fun and playful looking!
    Looks delicious and I can’t blame you for liking all those colorful sprinkles!

Amanda — December 3, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

This looks sooooo good!!!

Katrina — December 3, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

I love this. I wish I had this recipe as a kid.

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

This recipe will make you FEEL like a kid! :)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — December 3, 2010 @ 12:31 pm

My word. Genius. And it makes me want to try to make a cookie dough version.

Or maybe sit back and wait for somebody else to develop a recipe.

And then mail it to me. Along with cake batter bark.

P.S. Cake mix+plain Greek yogurt+milk=yummy milkshake + healthy

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — December 3, 2010 @ 12:33 pm

Best Christmas gift EVER! Yum!

Julie @ Honey B. — December 3, 2010 @ 12:33 pm

Make it taste exactly the same but at the same time be healthy for me? Make it so it sheds pounds while I eat it? That would top even this creation, don’t you think? ;-)

mags — December 3, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

Sprinkles make me smile. And I agree with you that traditional bark with fruits and nuts is not my thing. This bark however, is right up my tree. (get it?…HEE!)

I’m off to buy a yellow cake mix because I do everything you tell me to do.

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

You rock my world!

Melanie @ SpareTimeBaker — December 3, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

Oh myyyyyyyyyyyy! Can’t wait to try this one!!!!

Cindy Coniglio — December 3, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

That is seriously beautiful!

Morgan — December 3, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

i wish i had this right now for breakfast

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 12:44 pm

I wish you did too.

Rachel — December 3, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

“And don’t worry about ‘what to do with the rest of the cake mix.'” Hahaha you read my mind… but I love your ideas so now I’m not worried. And I LOVE sprinkles and cake-batter-flavored things… looks awesome!!

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

Hahah really… don’t worry about it! I would just seal it in a ziplock bag with the box instructions and use it for cupcakes or cake. One teaspoon missing from the mix shouldn’t hurt it at all, and if the batter doesn’t seem thick enough when you mix up a cake, you can always add a little flour.

Cathy B. @ Bright Bakes — December 3, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

I’m hooked on cake batter flavor ice cream….I am MAKING this today! And really….I was going to try ‘n lay off the sugar coma for at least ONE day…oh well…2morrow is another day!
    love,
    cathy b @ brightbakes

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

Yes… wait til tomorrow to stop the sugar. I promise it is worth it!

marla {family fresh cooking} — December 3, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

Spunk indeed! This bark is so festive & pretty. Love that you went well beyond the norm both in flavor & presentation. Such great pics too!! XO

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — December 3, 2010 @ 1:06 pm

Wow! Genius! So pretty….I wish I had some right now!

Terry — December 3, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

If you’re in a “mint” mood – crush up some red and green starlight mints and stir them in the white chocolate instead. Amazing flavor and very festive at this time of year!

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

That sounds delicious too!

Debbie B. — December 3, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

I think I’m in love with these. Such a good idea to put cake batter in and it cracked my up your arguments to make it no matter what ;).

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — December 3, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

You had me at cake batter.

My all-time favorite Coldstone Creamery treat is cake batter ice cream with chunks of cookie dough. Sometimes the un-cooked stuff is even better than the final product :)

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

Oh my gosh I love that too!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 3, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

This looks so pretty! You had me salivating just by reading the title :D

megan @ whatmegansmaking — December 3, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

I am so glad you came clean about your obsession with sprinkles. Makes me feel good inside to know we have that in common :) Although yours look cute. I put sprinkles on things and it looks like a 5 year old did it. I was just contemplating this morning how I could add sprinkles to my gingerbread men and still have them look cute. But back to the recipe – this looks incredible, as always :)

Jeannette — December 3, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

how can you top this…? red velvet cake batter bark. just sayin….

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

Ummm… brilliant!!

pam (pamcakes and eggs) — December 3, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

This is the most exciting recipe!!! I am going to try it!

Healthy Chocoholic — December 3, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

Woooow that looks good. And you know, dark chocolate is supposed to have antioxidants…….so adding it to the bark practically transforms it into health food! At least, that’s what I’ll tell myself as I down an entire batch of this stuff.

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

Excellent point.

Healthy Chocoholic — December 3, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

yummy!!!!!! You know, dark chocolate is supposed to have antioxidants, which practically makes this health food!!!!!!! At least, that is what I’m going to tell myself as I down an entire batch of this bark!

Healthy Chocoholic — December 3, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

whoops! sorry about the double comments….the first time that I commented I got an error message, and my comment didn’t show up until after I had posted the second one!! =P

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — December 3, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

How you manage to continually outdo yourself is beyond me.

Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats — December 3, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

Fab, fab, fab!! I HEART cake flavored things! Plus they’re just so purrrty… ;)

CaSaundra — December 3, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

I am so using this recipe for my upcoming community cookie swap–I think I’ll just do Christmas sprinkles instead. You’re a genious Jess!! :-)

Kathy — December 3, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

Off to buy holiday sprinkles! Does the flavor of cake batter change the flavor of the chocolate? I am trying to decide how many different cake mixes to come home with ;)

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

This is the first one I’ve made, so I’m not positive on the answer. I think it’s best to go with yellow or white cake mix if you’re going for that cake batter/birthday cake flavor. It definitely made the white chocolate taste more cake-like. But I’m sure that other cake flavors would be good too!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — December 3, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

Jessica, you’ve got to tell me how you came up with the idea to put cake mix in chocolate! Be honest!
    Ok seriously, though – this is a great idea – and sounds incredibly delicious :)

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

LOL! Once I decided I wanted to try the cake batter flavor, I had NO clue how to do it. I actually googled if there was such a thing as cake batter extract… there isn’t, at least not that I could find. I knew vanilla extract wouldn’t give it that flavor, so I tried whisking in the cake mix, assuming it would be a huge fail. I was shocked (and thrilled!) when it worked!

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

Oh, and FYI, I stopped getting your blog updates in my reader! I realized yesterday and I checked, the last one to come through was Nov 25th. No idea why, but I re-added you and hope it works!

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — December 3, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

You are a genius. Seriously. Can’t wait to try this!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — December 3, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

Gah we’re obsessed! This looks amazing! And so preeeeeetty!!

Mansee — December 3, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

You are completely amazing.

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life — December 3, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

This looks so awesome! I love all the colorful sprinkles on top to top it all off! Well done! : )

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — December 3, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

It’s so pretty! And yummy looking. But don’t kill me – I hate sprinkles!

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 1:03 am

I will never understand that dislike of the sprinkles.

Sarah@sarahnotsoplainandtall — December 3, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

What a great idea! I never would have thought of this

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — December 3, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

Oh my! What a genius idea! I do love Peppermint Bark around the holidays, but this would be a great way to enjoy it all year round!

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — December 3, 2010 @ 2:16 pm

Omg that’s such a wonderful idea! and the colors are fantasic! Thanks for sharing :)

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 2:17 pm

I think the bright colors are my favorite part!

Kristy — December 3, 2010 @ 2:17 pm

I am not a bark person either but this may convert me ;-)

Michele @ Healthy Cultivations — December 3, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

This looks ridiculously simple to make… and sounds really good too!!!

Window On The Prairie — December 3, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

Can’t go wrong when chocolate is included in the recipe. YUM! Suzanne

1 2 3 5

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Cake Batter Chocolate Bark | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Peanut Butter Blossom Recipe | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Things I’m loving right now « Anywho…

4. Pingback: Christmas Treat List « 'Lil Burgher Delights

5. Pingback: The Ketchup Diaries » Blog Archive » Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles

6. Pingback: Three Recipes Thursday « Marci Gilbert's Blog

7. Pingback: 12 Days of Cookies, Day 11: Lots of Goodies | Eating Bird Food

8. Pingback: Weekend Recap « eatdrinkloveandexercisedotcom

9. Pingback: Cookie Dough Dip | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: A Dose of Luxury | Tenaciously Yours,

11. Pingback: Right up there. | Tenaciously Yours,

12. Pingback: Christmas Cheer-Spreading Fail « Blog is the New Black

13. Pingback: Free Chocolate. [Plus a Williams Sonoma gift card!] | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: Four Layer Cookies 'n Cream Chocolate Bark and Island Coconut Lime Chocolate Bark | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Getting in the Christmas Spirit « A Taste of Confidence

16. Pingback: The first cut is the deepest « Why Deprive?

17. Pingback: Holiday bake-off Part 1: This isn’t going to take long at all « Making Food and Other Stuff

18. Pingback: Then Heather Said » Blog Archive » Last Minute DIY Gift

19. Pingback: Pour Yourself a Glass of Wine… | CookinFanatic

20. Pingback: Good Old Tradition « All I Eat Food!

21. Pingback: Twas The Day After Christmas… | I Will Run For Chocolate

22. Pingback: chocolate bark making « Eat, Exercise & Explore

23. Pingback: Relaxation Battery is Fully Charged

24. Pingback: Super Duper | outdoorchirp

25. Pingback: Cake Batter Bark

26. Pingback: Chocolate Dipped Clementines | How Sweet It Is

27. Pingback: I love the weekends! « fightingtemptations

28. Pingback: Some Quotes & 1 Recipe « adorn joy

29. Pingback: Birthday Bark | The Artsy Kitchen

30. Pingback: Valentine’s Day Cake Batter Chocolate Bark | Kaitlin With Honey

31. Pingback: White, no more… | fashionfitnessfoodie

32. Pingback: Blog is the New Black » Blog Archive » White Chocolate Pomegranate Bark

33. Pingback: Candy Addict » Candy Recipe: Birthday Cake Bark

34. Pingback: Candy Recipe: Birthday Cake Bark- Hard Candy

35. Pingback: Latest Chocolate Auctions | Chocolate Recipes for You

36. Pingback: Sprinkle Me Happy! | kissmybroccoli

37. Pingback: Culinary Concoctions by Peabody – Poking fun at yourself…

38. Pingback: Friday Food Round-Up! | Tenaciously Yours,

39. Pingback: Cake Batter Bark « whoopie cookie

40. Pingback: Funfetti Month Recipe Round-Up | The Spiffy Cookie

41. Pingback: Cake Batter Chocolate Bark | livelovepasta

42. Pingback: Cake Batter Recipes Round-up! – recipes

43. Pingback: Cake Batter Chocolate Bark «

44. Pingback: Back to [Cookie] Basics. | little girl, BIG TASTE.

45. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Bark

46. Pingback: It’s My Birthday, Let’s Talk Cake! | Not Rachael Ray

47. Pingback: Days Like These–Chocolate Bark | Baking Holly

48. Pingback: Confetti Cheesecake Cupcakes with Cake Batter Cream Cheese Frosting

49. Pingback: » Cake Batter Chocolate Bark Recipe