I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to share a recipe with you.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

Or to lick a bowl.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com
The secret ingredient here? You may think I’m crazy… but it’s a spoonful of actual cake mix.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

All you must do is whisk it well into the melted white chocolate. Best decision ever.
And don’t worry about “what to do with the rest of the cake mix.” Store it for later. Make more bark. Make cake-mix cookies. Eat it off a spoon. Bake a cake. Mail it to me.
Just don’t not make this because you’re worried about the extra cake mix. It’s simply a detail.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

The truth is, I’ve never been much of a “bark” person. I think barks tend to be beautiful, colorful, and make fabulous gifts, but I’m not really interested in eating my chocolate with nuts and fruit. I decided yesterday that I was going to make some form of chocolate bark, but I knew it had to be different. Not plain, old, boring bark.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

After laying on the couch slurping butter-soaked shrimp scampi, plowing through a bag of m&m’s and watching 7 hours of Lifetime television, I had my answer: cake batter. I don’t know where it came from. I swear it was an epiphany. Or perhaps I had just swallowed way too much sugar.
Yes, it may be quite a trendy flavor, but can you really ever go wrong? I think not.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

And I didn’t want to just make white chocolate bark. This baby needed a little more personality. More spunk. More flavor. More richness. More calories. More reason to buy new bigger pants.
So I added a dark chocolate layer too.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

Did you know I have an obsession with sprinkles? Now you do.

I’d put them on everything if I could. Color me 5 years old.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com
Cake Batter Chocolate Bark

6 ounces high quality dark chocolate (I used Lindt 70%)

12 ounces high quality white chocolate (I used Lindt)

3 teaspoons yellow cake mix

sprinkles of your choice (at least 3 tablespoons worth or more)

Melt dark chocolate either in the microwave or a double boiler. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour chocolate on. You can smooth it with a spatula to the thickness you desire. Stick in the freeze for 20 minutes.

Melt while chocolate. Whisk in cake mix slowly, stirring well until no lumps remain. Let it set for 3 full minutes (or at least until it slightly thickens). Remove baking sheet with chocolate from the freezer and immediately pour white chocolate on top. Sprinkle on sprinkles. Freeze for 20 minutes.

Once set, break into chunks. Keep refrigerated.
Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

All I really want to know is how I can possibly top this treat. Riddle me that!

441 Responses to “Cake Batter Chocolate Bark.”

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — December 3, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

Oh my gahhh. Making this next week in addition to peppermint bark. Anything I can put sprinkles in, I’m game for.

brandi — December 3, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

genius! I would never think to add cake batter, but I love the idea of using that in the bark with the sprinkles :) So fun!

katie — December 3, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

omg!!! cake batter is my favorite flavor.
    you are a GENIUS!!!!!!

katie — December 3, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

and… it’s like cake balls, without the hassle of making the cake…maybe you should mix some frosting in for good measure
    ha!!

Wei-Wei — December 3, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

You, are kind of genius. There’s already cookie dough/cake batter flavoured stuff. You can never have too much of that :D

Erica — December 3, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

Seriously- you are super creative with the baked goods! The bark looks BEAUTIFUL. Sprinkles! I want to do some with green & red sprinkles.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — December 3, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I just died. Best idea EVER. you are my idol. Really. This is GORGEOUS and I NEED TO MAKE THEM NOW!

Pure2raw twins — December 3, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

What a great recipe!!! Love the idea, especially the sprinkles : )

Sharelle @ essential-ingredient — December 3, 2010 @ 2:53 pm

umm….. YUM!
    adding that to my christmas goodies to impress family members. :)

Camille — December 3, 2010 @ 2:53 pm

Oh man, this is absolutely the next thing on my list. Luckily I have discovered that I can ship cookies to my family on the cheap and therefore prevent myself from gaining 500 pounds!

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — December 3, 2010 @ 2:57 pm

This is really cute! They would make great giftables at a birthday party. I love how you took a lot of time to convince us that it is okay to buy a box of cake mix for only 1 tsp. It’s like you KNEW we would worry about that. LOL.

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 1:02 am

LOL. I could see in my mind the comments/emails I’d get about the leftover mix.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 3, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

i’m still really excited about this…genius!

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — December 3, 2010 @ 3:15 pm

It’s so pretty! Funfetti in bark form? Obsessed! I would probably go into a sugar coma eating this but would gift it to everyone I know in a heartbeat =) and maybe save a bowl to lick myself =)

I’ve decided you need to write a book on baking & desserts. FACT! I’ll write one on veggies and we can be mucho famous =) haha

xoXOxo

Kelly — December 3, 2010 @ 3:15 pm

This is great! My mom makes bark every year for Christmas. I sent her the link and she literally squealed over the phone when she saw this recipe! hehe! I think we have a winner.

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 1:01 am

Aw, love that!

Talia @Texas Gunslinger — December 3, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

Wow, this recipe is SO MUCH FUN! I bet it tastes amazing! I LOVE white chocolate and how easy it is to “decorate”. Like a painter and her palette! Seriously, when is your bakery open for business? I’d probably keep you in business all on my own–now that comp prep is over, I’m H-U-N-G-R-Y!!!

Salah@myhealthiestlife — December 3, 2010 @ 3:29 pm

these look so easy to make, don’t require a lot of ingredients= me making these for everyone for CHristmas!!!! i am soooo glad you shared these with us!!!

Kristy — December 3, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

Oh my wow, amazing!!

Shanna, like Banana — December 3, 2010 @ 3:39 pm

Holy jesus Jessica. I am going to marry you. This recipe is genius. Pure genius. I am tagging it and going to make it for the holidays.

I love you. I really do.

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 1:01 am

Proposal accepted!

Meaghan — December 3, 2010 @ 3:39 pm

Oh…my…god..

I need this in my life :) haha

Whitney L. — December 3, 2010 @ 3:48 pm

Ya… I’m making this as soon as possible :)

Kacy — December 3, 2010 @ 3:52 pm

That looks like a party! I wish I had genius baking ideas.

Kelly — December 3, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

Yum. Wouldn’t you know that I JUST made cake batter ice cream and of course, have a bunch of mix left. :-) So if any of your readers don’t know what to make with the extras cake batter ice cream is so amazing from scratch.

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 1:00 am

Yes! That is the BEST idea!!

Lauren — December 3, 2010 @ 4:00 pm

I do believe I’m slightly twisted. When I read your suggestions about what to do with the leftover cakebatter…I *thought* it said “snort it for later*-and all I could think of was, “well, that’s certainly a possibility!”
    See how much faith I have in you?!

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 1:00 am

Hahahahah. That is an option too. :)

Donna@ My Tasty Journey — December 3, 2010 @ 4:00 pm

OMG Jessica! These are sooooooooooooooo adorable! They just make you smile:)

Alicia @ Addsomesprinkles — December 3, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

This goes with my blog name perfectly :) I made those mashed potato pancakes, they were amazing, added spinach and cheese to one, yum!

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 1:00 am

It does go with your name! :)

Sonya — December 3, 2010 @ 4:14 pm

YUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! I MUST MAKE THIS. Cake batter anything is right up my ally. I have a confession to make. I would totally eat all that left over cake mix by itself with a spoon. I may have {or not} done that before. At least I was pregnant so I can just blame it on that. :)

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 1:00 am

I can understand. I sometimes taste it off a spoon and it’s delicious. And I’ve never even been pregnant.

Noelle — December 3, 2010 @ 4:23 pm

Off the hook…looks fantastic. I am loving your pictures!

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 12:59 am

Thank you so much!

Steph@stephsbitebybite — December 3, 2010 @ 4:23 pm

How in the world did you think to do this!! YOU ARE AN ANGEL!!! :)

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 12:59 am

My mind works in mysterious ways! :)

Heather — December 3, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

Holy sweet mother of everything holy. If I get fat again, I’m totally blaming you! hahaha

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 12:59 am

I’ll take full responsibility. :)

Dana — December 3, 2010 @ 4:32 pm

This sounds amazing and so creative!! I love the addition of sprinkles :)

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious — December 3, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

love the look of these…so pretty!! easy and yummy…great party treat to have around.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — December 3, 2010 @ 4:41 pm

I’m intrigued. I have this weird thing with white chocolate where I sometimes just crave it. I think the cake mix would make it so sweet it hurts my teeth, which means pure bliss to me :smile:

Valerie — December 3, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

duuuuuuuuuuuuddddddeee… this is a great recipe! Totally bringing this to my office for Christmas :)

Lauren — December 3, 2010 @ 5:02 pm

Genius. Sheer genius. So, when are you going to start selling this amazing creation?!

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 12:58 am

I think I’d eat it all before I sold it.

Donna — December 3, 2010 @ 5:06 pm

Oh my god! Now I have to make, yet another, stop at the grocery store tonight. How can I NOT try this??? Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 12:58 am

Story of my life. Grocery store every.single.day.

Cheryl — December 3, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

what a perfect treat to have at home, or to bring to a party! your day of shrimp scampi, lifetime, and m&m’s sounds perfect to me!

Megan — December 3, 2010 @ 5:14 pm

I decided I am definitely going to do this for homemade Christmas gifts, except I am going to add peppermint extract to the first chocolate layer and some type of crushed green peppermints and candy canes on top. Put it in a nice container with a cute bow and I’m done.
    Totally screams Christmas and I am not friends with weirdos who don’t enjoy mint and chocolate together so everyone will love this.

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 12:58 am

Hahahah. :)
      Sounds delish!

Laurab @ foodsnobstl — December 3, 2010 @ 5:18 pm

So cute! I am going to make this for the MIL birthday this weekend

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 12:57 am

Hope she loves it!

Tracy — December 3, 2010 @ 5:21 pm

Looks delicious! I love the sprinkles on top!

Maren — December 3, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

omg so easy. so amazing. I am making these for Christmas! bookmarked!

Natalia - a side of simple — December 3, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

Hi, my name is Natalia. Can we be best friends? ;)

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 12:57 am

Sure!

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella — December 3, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

I saw this on Tasty Kitchen and I had to click it immediately. This looks too amazing!

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 12:57 am

Thanks!

sarah — December 3, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

I bookmarked this before I even read it from the title alone…after reading it…I need to make this pretty much immediately…batter is my favorite…so a recipe involving cake batter was pretty much made for me :)

Faith @ She Kneads — December 3, 2010 @ 5:56 pm

Wow! What a creative idea! That opens up oh so many bark possibilities….

by the way, I LOVE SPRINKLES TOO!!! :) haha….

Natalie — December 3, 2010 @ 6:00 pm

ahhhh you have to try dark and white chocolate oreo bark… its to die for!!!!

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 12:57 am

Okay seriously… I’ve been dreaming of this since I saw this comment on my blackberry hours ago. I’m making that tomorrow.

Heather — December 3, 2010 @ 6:23 pm

THIS, my dear, is the PERFECT Handmade Christmas Kitchen gift I will be making for all the children in my life……and, you know, me.

xo

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 12:56 am

If only I had thought of it sooner for your post!

• Heather — December 4th, 2010 @ 4:05 pm

i’ve already started a “best food gifts to make and give” list of links that i’ll be posting in the next two weeks – this has made the cut.

what DIDNT make the cut – last night at 11 PM i started making this.
        and i made it…
        some with a semisweet bottom layer, and some with dark chocolate.
        then, i forgot to put in the cake mix!!!! i didnt realize it until after i had broken them into pieces.

the goodnews? I BOUGHT $20 IN CHOCOLATE TO play around with this recipe and others this weekend, so this was really my “trial”…i will not forget the cake mix. i will not forget the cake mix. i will not forget the cake mix. (repeating it to myself will help, right?)

Mama Pea — December 3, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

It is so pretty! My girls would have a blast making this too. Ok, I would have a blast making this.

Sues — December 3, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

I absolutely love making bark and yours is SO SO pretty! I love the colorful sprinkles :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — December 3, 2010 @ 6:41 pm

:D:D:D This made my morning!! Such a happy little treat!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — December 3, 2010 @ 7:05 pm

I kind of want to see your pantry- how you come up with these amazing recipes at the drop of a hat makes me think you have a magical never-ending stash of ridiculous baking supplies. :)

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 12:56 am

I have a lot of time on my hands. And no life.

1. Pingback: Cake Batter & Sprinkle Bark | Violet Thunderstorms

2. Pingback: Cake Batter and Sprinkle Bark | Running. Eating. Living.

3. Pingback: Bark | Heather Bakes

13. Pingback: Aspiring to Underwhelm | Next Stop, Latvia

14. Pingback: Oreo Chocolate Bark - Sunday's With JennieSundays with Jennie

15. Pingback: (Pre-) Christmas Dinner | Fireflies & Sagebrush

16. Pingback: Birthday Cake Bark | The Domestic Rebel

17. Pingback: {Real Party} 3rd Birthday “Old School” Party

18. Pingback: Nerves and a Birthday « This Life Is Sparkling

19. Pingback: Free for All Friday: Gonna Bark(y) Like It’s My Birthday « For the Love of Food

20. Pingback: Cake Batter Chocolate Bark « edgarsplace

34. Pingback: Holiday Baking: Round Two « Cookies & Crunches

35. Pingback: Chocolate Orange Bark | The Cake Merchant

36. Pingback: The Best Ever Sesame Chicken « In Natalie's Shoes

37. Pingback: July Bakin Friends - Blahnik Baker

38. Pingback: 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: DIY Homemade Presents | How Sweet It Is

39. Pingback: Holiday Gift Guide: 33 DIY Homemade Presents. | pinmeplease

40. Pingback: Gift (You Can Make) Guide - Eat It!

41. Pingback: 10 (plus 1) Exchange-Friendly Holiday Snack Recipes - project julie

42. Pingback: Cake Batter and Dark Chocolate Bark | The Karina Chronicles