I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to share a recipe with you.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

Or to lick a bowl.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com
The secret ingredient here? You may think I’m crazy… but it’s a spoonful of actual cake mix.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

All you must do is whisk it well into the melted white chocolate. Best decision ever.
And don’t worry about “what to do with the rest of the cake mix.” Store it for later. Make more bark. Make cake-mix cookies. Eat it off a spoon. Bake a cake. Mail it to me.
Just don’t not make this because you’re worried about the extra cake mix. It’s simply a detail.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

The truth is, I’ve never been much of a “bark” person. I think barks tend to be beautiful, colorful, and make fabulous gifts, but I’m not really interested in eating my chocolate with nuts and fruit. I decided yesterday that I was going to make some form of chocolate bark, but I knew it had to be different. Not plain, old, boring bark.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

After laying on the couch slurping butter-soaked shrimp scampi, plowing through a bag of m&m’s and watching 7 hours of Lifetime television, I had my answer: cake batter. I don’t know where it came from. I swear it was an epiphany. Or perhaps I had just swallowed way too much sugar.
Yes, it may be quite a trendy flavor, but can you really ever go wrong? I think not.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

And I didn’t want to just make white chocolate bark. This baby needed a little more personality. More spunk. More flavor. More richness. More calories. More reason to buy new bigger pants.
So I added a dark chocolate layer too.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

Did you know I have an obsession with sprinkles? Now you do.

I’d put them on everything if I could. Color me 5 years old.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com
Cake Batter Chocolate Bark

6 ounces high quality dark chocolate (I used Lindt 70%)

12 ounces high quality white chocolate (I used Lindt)

3 teaspoons yellow cake mix

sprinkles of your choice (at least 3 tablespoons worth or more)

Melt dark chocolate either in the microwave or a double boiler. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour chocolate on. You can smooth it with a spatula to the thickness you desire. Stick in the freeze for 20 minutes.

Melt while chocolate. Whisk in cake mix slowly, stirring well until no lumps remain. Let it set for 3 full minutes (or at least until it slightly thickens). Remove baking sheet with chocolate from the freezer and immediately pour white chocolate on top. Sprinkle on sprinkles. Freeze for 20 minutes.

Once set, break into chunks. Keep refrigerated.
Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

All I really want to know is how I can possibly top this treat. Riddle me that!

441 Responses to “Cake Batter Chocolate Bark.”

Laurie — December 23, 2010 @ 3:43 am

OOPS! I just bought Ghiradelli’s Extra Bittersweet Dark Choc (70%) and Bittersweet (60%). Is that the same thing or totally different? I so wanted to make this tonight, but I don’t want to if I have the wrong kind of chocolate.
    Thanks!

• Jessica — December 23rd, 2010 @ 3:52 am

Hi Laurie! That should work fine. Let me know how you like it!

Laura — December 23, 2010 @ 3:31 pm

okay, that looks absolutely amazing. But I have a question! I made peppermint bark and as soon as the bark came to room temp, the dark chocolate started turning a lighter color. Almost looking dried out. How do I stop that? I want to make this stuff and I want it to be as pretty as yours!

• Jessica — December 24th, 2010 @ 12:44 am

hmmm… I wish I knew! Honestly I don’t know much about melting chocolate but others are telling me it sometimes needs to be tempered (whatever that means!). It could also be the lack of stabilizers in the chocolate? Honestly, mine doesn’t sit out long – it is consumed almost immediately. That is probably why it hasn’t happened to me!

• Jess — June 12th, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

You didn’t temper your chocolate. Bringing the chocolate up to a specific temp, for a certain time length. This gives the chocolate a shiny, rather than dull appearance. You would have to look up the specifics online, but that is why it is dull. Zapping it in the microwave won’t temper the chocolate and you wouldn’t notice it as much on white chocolate, due to it’s color.

• Taylor — August 4th, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

One of the interesting things about chocolate is that the crystalline structure it forms during re-solidification (turning back into solid, hard chocolate) depends on its temperature. Tempering the chocolate is a way to ensure that it develops the correct crystalline structure, resulting in the hard, shiny, smooth chocolate we all know and love. The seed method, is probably one of the easier ways to temper chocolate. You melt the chocolate in a double boiler (or even a metal bowl over a pot of boiling water, just make sure the bottom of the bowl/boiler DOES NOT TOUCH the water), preferably to 105°F to ensure complete melting. Then, remove it from the heat. Because most chocolate you buy is already tempered, adding some unmelted chocolate of the same variety and brand (if you are only melting a little chocolate, some smaller chopped pieces should work), and stirring it until it melts into your melted chocolate (and the chocolate reaches 88-90°F) should help promote proper crystal formation. You can Google the seed method as well as specific tempering temperatures (they vary slightly with the type of chocolate e.g. white, dark etc.). Good luck (and don’t worry, it’s much simpler than it sounds)!

sanz — December 24, 2010 @ 9:34 pm

this is insane! this is not fair!!!
    omg tis is heaven on earth!!!!!!!!!
    i m so making this

Kari — December 27, 2010 @ 6:26 am

I love this recipe!! I’m thinking confetti cake mix for mine…with Extra Sprinkles :p

• Jessica — December 27th, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

That’s an awesome idea. We love funfetti!

Jordan — December 30, 2010 @ 7:35 pm

Making this for new years. Sprinkles= festive!!! Only one teaspoon of cake mix? Think it would work with a few teaspoons or a tablespoon? I want lots of cake flavor! Does a teaspoon really do it? Nervous to add more, might change the texture. What do you think?

• Jessica — December 30th, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

You can definitely add more! I’ve made it many more times since posting this recipe and have since added much more cake batter, probably 1-2 tablespoons. The key is to add it slowly about 1 teaspoon at a time and really whisk to rid the chocolate of any lumps!

Tarrah Dame — January 6, 2011 @ 9:33 pm

aaaah i made something like this too!! well a couple actually bc im obsessed with cake batter…always looking for ways to use it…love it!!! yours is cool too :) ps, our blog recipes are similar…love running into blogs with the same taste :):):)

• Scott — June 27th, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

It looks wonderful. I am an equal opportunity chocolate eater. I will never understand your comment about not wanting to eat chocolate with nuts or fruit. Never? Or not just this time?

Liz (It's A Cupcake World) — January 10, 2011 @ 6:11 pm

What a great idea! This looks delicious!

miss ann — January 12, 2011 @ 10:16 am

You must watch a lot of Ina Garten with all this talk about “good” ingredients. “Good” is really a preference.

Shelby — January 12, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

Just made it!
    SO awesome!

Kristy — January 16, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

So, I’m not sure if anyone else is as clueless as I am about what sorts of things can happen in the microwave. I am an idiot. I melted some of the chocolate in the microwave and whisked in the cake batter (thinking that I could add more chocolate to melt in so it could be blended gradually)… Well, while I was melting the last 4 ounces, miracles were taking place in my bowl that I was unaware of. When I was stirring the newly melted chocolate, my whisk hit something solid in the bottom of the bowl… I dug down in there and lo and behold, I had a misshapen baby cake in the bottom of the bowl. Who knew?? I didn’t want to waste it, so I just hacked the baby miracle cake to bits and stirred it it and finished it up. It’s sitting in the freezer setting up right now…. it’s probably going to be gross. I am sad. And my boyfriend thinks I’m an idiot. Probably because I am lol

• Kristy — January 16th, 2011 @ 11:20 pm

It came out great, anyway! woohoo!

Zara — January 18, 2011 @ 6:42 am

Rather then sprinkles, you could put broken chips of candy canes. It would make it even more Christmas-y.

chelon — January 20, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

i made this with toblerone on top of dark chocolate. oh my it was so delicious. i shared some small pieces with others, but i pretty much ate most of it myself. i made the white chocolate version as well, but for some reason i didn’t write down how much of each kind of chocolate so i ended up with a smaller batch. probably just as well. then my husband put 3 bars of toblerone in my stocking for christmas, and i decided to try that. one thing, and it’s probably because i didn’t know anything about tempering the chocolate, but it was hard to break into pieces. i got the bright idea of putting foil over it and whacking it with a mallet. note to self: sprinkles aren’t indestructible. the bark wasn’t as pretty, but still really really ridiculously good. mmmm hmmmm! i think we should be bffs.

Shawnabcdefg — January 30, 2011 @ 11:43 pm

I love all of the pictures :-)

Maryanna — January 31, 2011 @ 4:54 am

I want to make this for my sister’s birthday, but I read that it needed to be refrigerated. I’m flying out to see her next week, but I’m not sure it will make it during the traveling. Is there a reason it should be refrigerated?
    Thanks!

• Jessica — January 31st, 2011 @ 11:28 am

As the chocolate comes to room temperature, it just softens and doesn’t stay as pretty. You can try it for sure!

• Kendra — February 1st, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

It also sets up faster and gives the chocolate a great shine and snap when eating it. Trust me i went to culinary school for baking and pastry.

Lizzy M. — February 1, 2011 @ 12:51 am

Wow, just saw these. I love making different types of chocolate bark. I made 4 different kinds for Christmas but I am definitely putting this on my list for next time!

Kendra — February 1, 2011 @ 6:22 pm

Brilliant…. cake batter anything is great. I’m definitely added them to my gift baskets for holidays.

Adrienne — February 7, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

I made it for the Superbowl party I went to (I was there for the commercials and food, of course) and it was a hit!
    Of course, I made sure to taste test it before the party. And really, who throws chocolate scraps away?

Rachel — February 11, 2011 @ 1:48 am

I made this today and the two layers didn’t stick together. I’m not sure what happened. Do you have any ideas? My sprinkles didn’t stick too well either, I put them on right away. I posted a picture on my blog of what it looked like. It is yummy, but not so much presentable if I wanted to gift it!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:52 am

Hmmm…. I really can’t say for sure without being there what exactly happened… did you use high quality chocolate? I am honestly not sure, but that hasn’t happened to me yet and I’ve made it about 5-6 times!

• Rachel — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:55 am

Not at all high quality! It was what I had in my pantry. I’ll have to give it another go with the good stuff. My only other though was that the dark chocolate might have gotten a bit of condensation on it, but I poured the white on as soon as I took it out of the freezer. Well, regardless of appearance it is delicious, I guess this just gives me an excuse to make it again :)

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 2:35 am

That may be it, but I can’t be sure. If you try again let me know! So sorry it didn’t come out the first time. And my husband would also rather eat chocolate chip cookies. :)

Laura @ Backstage Pass — February 12, 2011 @ 1:17 am

This looks ridiculously good. GREAT idea! :-D

Danielle — February 14, 2011 @ 1:08 am

oh my gooooooooosh i cannot get enough of your blog. ahh i love you

sage — February 15, 2011 @ 11:18 pm

“trendy flavor”???

…. People honestly puzzle me.

• mia — June 24th, 2011 @ 9:00 am

rude.

Sandi — February 16, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

This is GENIUS!

Lisa — February 16, 2011 @ 11:53 pm

I HAVE to make some of this…and I think I will be sharing this link on my blog so even more people can see this fabulous treat!

peabody — February 18, 2011 @ 11:45 pm

I SO need to make this! Awesome idea.

Vicki — February 20, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

I made this earlier, and it came out delicious! The only thing I did wrong was not add enough white chocolate, so when I spread it over the first layer, it came out marbled. But it still worked, because I made it for myself and my mom, and neither one of us likes a lot of white chocolate anyway. Thanks for the great idea!!!

kristen — February 26, 2011 @ 3:27 am

oh my gosh. i put all my kids in the car (after I had called all of my friends to tell them about your blog and gush about all the amazing things I was about to buy to make) and we went to the store, got everything for the bark and made it immediately!! it was amazing and def worth every minute getting the stuff!! i love it. i love the cake batter idea and i cant wait to make so many of your recipes that i just stalked for the last hour. love it.

Stephanie — March 1, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

How much cake batter should I use…I know others have used more. Did you say you do 1 – 2 tablesppons now? I can’t wait ti make this! Have you tried cookie mixes…like sugar cookie?

• Jessica — March 1st, 2011 @ 11:29 pm

I would do 2-3 tablespoons but add it SLOWLY, like one small spoonful at a time and whisk. And nope, I haven’t tried other mixes yet!

Silvertongue62 — March 4, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

I just gained 15lbs looking at it.

Marissa — March 13, 2011 @ 9:42 pm

this looks insanely good!!! :D will have to try it! i’m like you in that i have never been a bark person but i love cake batter and sprinkles…add chocolate and it’s a trifecta of goodness!

Steph — March 16, 2011 @ 11:24 pm

I am horrible with guestimating flavors, and wondered if you (or anyone else) had an answer/idea to this:

Do you think this would work with milk chocolate instead of white chocolate? Like – would the flavor still be alright?

I’m disinclined to go with white chocolate because I dislike the flavor and it makes me sick to eat it. Plus, it’s not chocolate really and that’s sort of depressing (no offense to anyone of course).

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 10:47 am

Yes I think you could try!! Just maybe add a bit more cake batter? Let us know how it turns out. ;)

Laynie — March 20, 2011 @ 3:41 am

Ohhhh, this looks wonderful! I’m also thinking of all the things you could do with this melted chocolate. Like put it into chocolate molds and then have tiny little cake-batter chocolates. Or turn it into cake-batter-flavored modeling chocolate! Cake batter truffles! Cake-batter-chocolate-drizzled pretzels, for that salty & sweet combo!

Can you tell I’m in creative overload here?

Shannon — March 22, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

O:
    Did you ever think of using fun fetti cake mix instead of yellow cake?
    I’m sure that would work well too

Bill — March 23, 2011 @ 10:18 am

ad some peppermint to the white choc layer

fajas colombianas — March 23, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

I added more chocolate mix on to the recipe to add a more intense chocolate flavor to it.

Ruby — March 30, 2011 @ 8:27 am

you could add pancake batter and maple syrup to make pancake flavored ones, or you could add two extra layers one of pancake batter and another layer of maple syrup flavored white chocolate!!!

Sarah Smith — April 1, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

I hope this is easy to make, I am going to try and do it next week! For my husbands birthday.

Alison — April 2, 2011 @ 6:16 pm

This is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. I am making this tonight. And I would never complain about having extra cake mix.

Thank you!!!

Blair — April 16, 2011 @ 6:15 pm

Although this turned out super pretty, the flavors weren’t exactly what I was expecting. I used way more cake mix than it called for (1.5 tablespoons), and I honestly could barely taste the cake flavor! It just tasted like white chocolate on top of dark chocolate. I don’t know if I did something wrong, or what..? But like I said, it was still very pretty and after all… it’s TWO kinds of chocolates, so it definitely will get eaten!! :) Love the creativity in this recipe, even if mine didn’t turn out quite right!

nicole — April 28, 2011 @ 9:52 pm

I am so making this bark … I too am obsessed with sprinkles :) you are not alone!!

Nancy — June 1, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

Love this recipe – the only way to kick it up would be to break up the bark is small (bite size) pieces and add it to a dish of your favorite ice cream or bake brownies and just when they come out of the over top with the bark! Heaven on earth!

Lisa — June 2, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

How do you keep the white layer so….white? Yellow cake mix has those little reddish things in it that make it turn yellow when it hits anything liquid. I would think the melted white chocolate would turn a dirty yellowish color when the yellow cake mix hits it. No? (I want to try this, but want to know what to expect so I don’t ruin it!) :)

Susie — July 3, 2011 @ 1:46 am

I like the way your mind works…

I;m excited to make them!

Bren — July 24, 2011 @ 1:35 am

This looks AMAZING!!! I’m not much of a white chocolate girl at all, but this looks just fantastic. Thanks for sharing!!

Maria@La_Piattini — August 4, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

Just made them- they’re in the freezer right now- I can hardly wait the 20 min to break it up into bark pieces and try it!

Janet — August 21, 2011 @ 3:42 am

Great use for (me) sprinkle hoarder….without baking……wheels turning with flavors …Thank You

Adam — September 27, 2011 @ 5:32 pm

My girlfriend and I just made this (used Galaxy milk chocolate instead of dark and put chocolate curls on top as well as sprinkles) and it was amazing!!! Nice and simple, even for someone not very experienced at making sweets. Thanks for the recipe.

Lauren Allen — September 29, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

Hi! This weekend is my daughters birthday, and i think this would be perfect, except she HATES dark chocolate! would milk chocolate work?

• Adam — October 5th, 2011 @ 12:34 am

Yeah, It worked fine for me, followed the recipe, just with milk chocolate instead.

dianne — October 27, 2011 @ 4:26 am

this looks absolutly yummy and i cant wait to make it!!!!

Jess — November 1, 2011 @ 9:37 am

Ok, I’m not sure whether to thank you or hate you for posting this, HA! Let’s go with THANK YOU!!!!!!

Nahuatl Vargas — November 1, 2011 @ 10:03 am