If there is any snack that has been a staple throughout my funny little life, it has surely been apples and peanut butter. Best snack ever.

When I was younger, my mom used to slice apples and sprinkle them with cinnamon. They would be served with a glob of peanut butter and I just thought that was the best thing since sliced bread. Well, almost.

I probably threw a tantrum because I wanted a Happy Meal instead.

But the good news is that the apples and peanut butter stayed with me.

The Happy Meals didn’t.
Thank goodness. Because that wouldn’t leave much room for cake, bacon and chocolate.

These bars also come with a makeshift applesauce. You can try subbing regular applesauce, but I was fresh out. So I simply heated some apples with cinnamon until they were soft, then smashed them into itty bitty pieces. It was fun. I like mashing things.
And I ate multiple spoonfuls. Fun and delicious.

I glued everything together with melty peanut butter and a little touch of honey. Sort of like the 5 Ingredient Granola Bars, but not really.
These babies can stand on their own.

I pressed the mixture in to a springform pan because I am so bored with eating granola bars and squares. I needed some spice in my life.
See?

I’m over bars. Bring on the wedges.
It’s like a granola cheesecake!

Except I really wish I was eating cheesecake instead. Who wouldn’t? I can’t lie to you.

You slice it up like a pizza. I also wish it was pizza. Can you tell I’m hungry?

Just to take things over the top, I added a peanut butter drizzle on one of my bars.

Because honestly… I can’t go a day without adding additional calories to everything I eat. It’s a sickness.

Apple Peanut Butter Snack Bars

wedge idea inspired by Eating Well

makes 8 granola wedges

2 cups rolled oats

1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

2 medium apples, peeled and chopped (or also sub 1/2-3/4 cup applesauce)

1 tablespoon cinnamon

3/4 cup peanut butter, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/3 cup honey

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon, salt and baking powder and mix. To soften apples, mix them with 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon and microwave for 2-3 minutes, or pan roast on medium heat for 10 minutes. Once apples are soft, mash them with a fork making sure to leave some large chunks. Add apples into oat mix. Melt peanut butter and stir vanilla into peanut butter. Add peanut butter to apples and oats.

Mix with wooden spoon until all ingredients are moistened. You can even work the dough with your hands to get it all together. Add honey one tablespoon at a time, mixing until everything is combined. Mix with you hands before adding additional honey, but add it one tablespoon at a time if needed. You want the dough to be sticky, but not too wet. Spray a springform pan or pie plate with non-stick spray and pour in oat dough. Spread it evenly in the pan and give the top a quick spray with non-stick spray – it will help hold it together. Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting. Slice into wedges and top with more melted peanut butter.

You are probably thinking “at least she didn’t top them with chocolate too.” Oh I did. Don’t worry. I just didn’t document it. My grubby little hands gobbled them up too quickly. That was really good.

136 Responses to “Apple Peanut Butter Snack Bars.”

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — January 20, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

Yumm. I think the extra calories in the PB drizzle totally make the bars, as well :)

Camille — January 20, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

You are such a pro at getting your granola bars to stick together! I have so many issues with that!
    Is it particular ingredient that helps?

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

I always have issues with it too. There is a fine line between them being dry and crumbly or too wet. I think the melted peanut butter REALLY helps. I start with that, then I add the honey but by bit until it’s all moistened but not drippy. When it comes to them sticking together, it’s better to be more wet than dry. Even if they don’t stick though, just use it as granola!

Kathy — January 20, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

What could you subsitute for the Whole Wheat Pastry Flour? Could I use All Purpose Flour instead? I don’t have any of the whole wheat flour and don’t want to have to go and purchase it. Thanks so much.

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

Absolutely! All purpose is perfect.

Moni'sMeals — January 20, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

this is awesome! so creative and my house would eat this up. I will try this for sure. Thanks. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — January 20, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

I had a simple snack of apples and peanut butter last night and LOVED it! It used to be my all time favorite but for some reason it’s been a while since I’ve just had a plain apple and PB combo. Delicious. :)

Tine — January 20, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

Ok, I really have to make these.
    Soon!

Ida — January 20, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

A oat or granola pie crust is a genius idea! I love the pizza wedge shape of these bars, they look so fun to eat.

nicole @ our three reasons — January 20, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

that looks incredible! you are killing me with all the posts lately. i am STARVING! :)

Natalia - a side of simple — January 20, 2011 @ 5:37 pm

Crumbled bacon on top would be marvelous, no doubt. But for now, I “suppose” these will suffice ;)

Erin @ The Grass Skirt — January 20, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

That looks and sounds absolutely amazing. I’ve been in a state of nut butter consumption lately, so I think that making this might be mandatory.

Allison @ Happy Tales — January 20, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

I have a plethora of apples on hand… I will be making this!!!!!!!

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine — January 20, 2011 @ 6:05 pm

YUM!! These look sooo good! And they are completely healthy because of the oats and apples right? right? :)

And you say it’s like a granola cheesecake, then you left me hanging. Can you please use this as a crust and put cheesecake on top… and send it to my house every week? ok thanks! :)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables — January 20, 2011 @ 6:05 pm

As usual, these looks Ah-Maze-Ing. YUM!

Baking Serendipity — January 20, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

Apples and peanut butter are definitely my favorite snack too :) I love your idea combining them in a granola bar!

Blond Duck — January 20, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

I think this is the most perfect snack ever.

Charissa — January 20, 2011 @ 7:15 pm

I love following your recipes! They are all so delicious! I have to eat Gluten Free, so I just adapt whatever your recipe is so that I can make/eat it. Thanks for being so inventive!

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

Thank you!

Katrina — January 20, 2011 @ 7:29 pm

Weird! I’m eating apple and PB right now!!! I need to make this. It looks lovely.

rebecca lustig — January 20, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

this looks like a slice of heaven!

Mandi — January 20, 2011 @ 7:54 pm

Oh I am loving these bars! anything with cinnamon, apples, and peanut butter, I’m in!!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — January 20, 2011 @ 8:11 pm

Ah springform pans. Why I don’t own one is beyond me. They’re so handy and make things so pretty. Speaking of pretty, how do you make your peanut butter drizzle so beautifully?

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 8:13 pm

You need a springform pan!
      I just melt it and drizzle back and forth with either a spoon or fork. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 20, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

every day i cut up apples (or bananas) and sprinkle them with cinny and blob of PB for skylar. Great moms think alike :)

the wedgies..NICE tweak on bars!

EatLiveRun — January 20, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

These are beautiful, Jessica!

Yum Yucky — January 20, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

okay, okay. So I’m trying to leave a comment, but all that keeps stating at me is the title for the “Gooey Butter Cake”. Now I can’ts concentrate steady.

One Healthy Appl — January 20, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

I love the drizzle on the bars. My extra evil chocolate side would have added a nutella drizzle for good measure too!

thehealthyapron — January 20, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

This is a fantastic dessert! Looks awesome!

kimz — January 20, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

Um, can you say DELICIOUS!? I want to try these post haste, but was wondering if it was ok to use white flour instead of pastry flour. I’m not that seasoned of a chef and I really dont know the difference. Thanks!

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

Definitely!

Christina — January 20, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

Ooo that looks gooood. I am also obsessed with apples and peanut butter, my go-to snack after work. I really want to try these!!

Janalyne — January 20, 2011 @ 11:19 pm

Mm, I love apples and peanut butter for a snack, too! Or apples and cheese. These bars look really good!

Kerry — January 20, 2011 @ 11:42 pm

This looks delicious. I forgot all about apples & peanut butter! How is that even possible. And I like the fact that you made it into wedges instead of squares… it’s like rebellious granola.

Ellie@fitforthesoul — January 20, 2011 @ 11:49 pm

Hehe I was so hungry coming home from work, that I just forged ahead to make up whatever protein/healthy bar/ball I could make from what I had in the pantry! So, I just made a one-serving protein ball (with big ghirardelli choc chips of course) and ate it in 2 huge bites :) I just saw your bar recipe and my protein ball was similar to your recipe, except mine had protein powder as well. So good! I love everything you make btw. have a blessed day Jess!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking — January 21, 2011 @ 12:11 am

These look so good. I am really looking forward to making them. Glad I found your blog!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — January 21, 2011 @ 12:30 am

I love to eat cooked apples like that with cinnamon on them! We always go to the orchard in the fall, pick our own apples and then for the next few weeks I am making apple stuff all the time :)

I just printed off this recipe. Gotta make these babies!

Annie@stronghealthyfit — January 21, 2011 @ 2:05 am

My new favorite breakfast lately has been an apple with PB and two hard-boiled eggs. I LOVE nut butter. And your bars look amazing.

britt — January 21, 2011 @ 2:48 am

ohh my. i’m making these asap. i just bought the justin’s chocolate peanut butter yesterday . . . that’s definitely going on.

Kat @ Cupcake Kat — January 21, 2011 @ 3:27 am

Oh my gosh this is probably the most delcious looking thing I’ve seen all week

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — January 21, 2011 @ 4:06 am

I use to snack on apple slices and peanut butter all the time when I was growing up! These snack bars look fantastic, and I love the wedge idea!

April — January 21, 2011 @ 7:20 am

These look amazing. Love Love Love cinnamon apples in anything. Will be making this tomorrow. Thanks!

Andrea — January 21, 2011 @ 7:29 am

Made these, but they turned out a liiiitle bit dry! Probably because I’m bad at following recipes… I have this delusion that my eye is a better measuring device than measuring cups and spoons ;) Still ended up with half the pan gone by the end of the day! (there were two of us… don’t judge!) Thanks for the recipe :)

Heather — January 22, 2011 @ 2:53 am

Very nice! Apples with peanut butter has always been my favorite snack! These look great, especially with the peanut butter drizzle! Yum!

Corbett — January 24, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

Made this yesterday… all I have at our house is organic peanut butter, which doesn’t melt. So it’s was a little rough getting it mix together, but I got my hands in there and it finally worked. I was way more excited about the apples than the PB in the recipe and all I can taste it the PB :( I’m thinking about making it again with 1/2 the PB and more honey, do you think they would still stick together that way?

• Jessica — January 24th, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

Yes! I think that would work. The amount of honey to add is really just a guide – add enough until it feels sticky and holds together before baking. Also maybe add some more apples and a bit of cinnamon to enhance the apple flavor?

Dani — January 25, 2011 @ 1:22 am

I made these. But they came out super soft and cake like. Not really granola like. What did I do wrong? Or is that how it supposed to be?

• Jessica — January 25th, 2011 @ 1:24 am

Yes! They are more cake-like than granola. If you want more of a granola you can leave out the flour and baking powder!

Jenilee — January 25, 2011 @ 3:42 am

Hey heyyyy. Even though I have to wake up at 6:30AM tomorrow, I couldn’t help but make these beautiful bars tonight! I just took it out of the oven and it smells devine. Cannot wait to have this treat in my lunch pail! Yes I have a lunch pail, and it’s plaid. Thanks!

Lizzy M. — January 27, 2011 @ 4:08 am

I wonder if it would hold together still without the wheat flour. It looks awesome, but I’m gluten free.

• Jessica — January 27th, 2011 @ 4:09 am

I can’t say for sure, but I would think so. Let me know if you try it!

Nicole — February 3, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

Just discovered your blog–yummy!! We tried these granola bars today-so good!! My kids love helping and eating them too. Thanks for a healthy and yummy snack. Oh, and I will definitely be making those buffalo nachos for the Super Bowl–GO STEELERS!!

• Jessica — February 3rd, 2011 @ 8:26 pm

Glad you liked them! Go Steelers!

Amy — September 27, 2011 @ 10:26 pm

Do these freeze well by any chance? I just went apple picking and have 2 bushels of apples and am looking for some neat recipes… I just want some stuff I can freeze so I don’t have to eat all the apples at once! :)

• Jessica — September 27th, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

I have not froze them but I’m going to go with no… because they are more like a granola. You can always try it though!

caroline — October 23, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

just made them! i’m allergic to nuts so i used a sunflower seed butter and added raisins and chocolate chips to the recipe. incredibly delicious and easy! thanks so much for sharing your recipe :)

Michelle Giroux — November 8, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

As far as the calories in reg. peanut butter, there is a very low fat peanut butter called Better N Peanut Butter

Hannah — November 27, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

I just made these with the apples I needed to use! They’re baking now. I sub’d brown sugar (I was bad added 3/4 cup brown sugar) for honey and added 1/4 c chopped toasted pecans. Nothin’ personal, Jessica, I just love pecans and didn’t have enough honey. MMM! Thanks for this recipe.

juanita — July 30, 2013 @ 10:58 pm

I made this yesterday!!! MY FAMILY LOVED IT! I’m so happy i found your site!!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Apple Peanut Butter Snack Bars | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Apple Peanut Butter Granola Pizza | Foodbeast Apple Peanut Butter Granola Pizza | Because We're Hungry.

3. Pingback: Apple Peanut Butter Snack Bars | How Sweet It Is » Whitney's Recipes

4. Pingback: A better start to the day « eatdrinkloveandexercisedotcom

5. Pingback: Healthy, Hungry, and Happy » Apple Snack Bars

6. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Baking And Painting « Little Miss Healthify

8. Pingback: 101 Snacks For Your Husband On The Go

9. Pingback: 101 Snacks For Your Husband On The Go | Restoration Wellness

10. Pingback: What do you crave during Fall? Try these satisfying seasonal snacks! | DOOF