If there is any snack that has been a staple throughout my funny little life, it has surely been apples and peanut butter. Best snack ever.

When I was younger, my mom used to slice apples and sprinkle them with cinnamon. They would be served with a glob of peanut butter and I just thought that was the best thing since sliced bread. Well, almost.

I probably threw a tantrum because I wanted a Happy Meal instead.

But the good news is that the apples and peanut butter stayed with me.

The Happy Meals didn’t.
Thank goodness. Because that wouldn’t leave much room for cake, bacon and chocolate.

These bars also come with a makeshift applesauce. You can try subbing regular applesauce, but I was fresh out. So I simply heated some apples with cinnamon until they were soft, then smashed them into itty bitty pieces. It was fun. I like mashing things.
And I ate multiple spoonfuls. Fun and delicious.

I glued everything together with melty peanut butter and a little touch of honey. Sort of like the 5 Ingredient Granola Bars, but not really.
These babies can stand on their own.

I pressed the mixture in to a springform pan because I am so bored with eating granola bars and squares. I needed some spice in my life.
See?

I’m over bars. Bring on the wedges.
It’s like a granola cheesecake!

Except I really wish I was eating cheesecake instead. Who wouldn’t? I can’t lie to you.

You slice it up like a pizza. I also wish it was pizza. Can you tell I’m hungry?

Just to take things over the top, I added a peanut butter drizzle on one of my bars.

Because honestly… I can’t go a day without adding additional calories to everything I eat. It’s a sickness.

Apple Peanut Butter Snack Bars

wedge idea inspired by Eating Well

makes 8 granola wedges

2 cups rolled oats

1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

2 medium apples, peeled and chopped (or also sub 1/2-3/4 cup applesauce)

1 tablespoon cinnamon

3/4 cup peanut butter, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/3 cup honey

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon, salt and baking powder and mix. To soften apples, mix them with 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon and microwave for 2-3 minutes, or pan roast on medium heat for 10 minutes. Once apples are soft, mash them with a fork making sure to leave some large chunks. Add apples into oat mix. Melt peanut butter and stir vanilla into peanut butter. Add peanut butter to apples and oats.

Mix with wooden spoon until all ingredients are moistened. You can even work the dough with your hands to get it all together. Add honey one tablespoon at a time, mixing until everything is combined. Mix with you hands before adding additional honey, but add it one tablespoon at a time if needed. You want the dough to be sticky, but not too wet. Spray a springform pan or pie plate with non-stick spray and pour in oat dough. Spread it evenly in the pan and give the top a quick spray with non-stick spray – it will help hold it together. Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting. Slice into wedges and top with more melted peanut butter.

You are probably thinking “at least she didn’t top them with chocolate too.” Oh I did. Don’t worry. I just didn’t document it. My grubby little hands gobbled them up too quickly. That was really good.

137 Responses to “Apple Peanut Butter Snack Bars.”

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — January 20, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Jess, these look amazing! I would have never thought of putting banana or bacon in granola bars. YUM! You’re granola bars blow my granola bars right out of the water for sure! :-P

• Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — January 20th, 2011 @ 11:55 am

Ugh – I guess my body knows its only 7AM.
      I meant your granola bars*

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — January 20, 2011 @ 11:55 am

Actually, I was thinking “why DIDN’T she add chocolate to it.”

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

I wouldn’t expect anything less from you.

VeggieGirl — January 20, 2011 @ 11:55 am

That drizzle MAKES the bars – yum!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — January 20, 2011 @ 11:56 am

I love that you made this look like pie! :-) This looks like a perfect snack for my 2 year old-thanks for the recipe.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — January 20, 2011 @ 11:58 am

yummmmm…you know how obsessed i’ve been with granola…this would be just a little bit of a change but along the same lines.

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

You could probably make it as a granola too! I’m going to crumble up one of the bars with yogurt today.

Lauren at KeepItSweet — January 20, 2011 @ 11:58 am

This would never last in my kitchen! I could eat this for breakfast, as a snack or for dessert!

kristina @ life as kristina — January 20, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Wow-I would have eaten the whole thing with a fork! Love the drizzled peanut butter for presentation:)

Nicole, RD — January 20, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Those look like the perfect snack or dessert :)

Blog is the New Black — January 20, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

I will be making these fo sho and def topping them with choc!

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — January 20, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

Yum! Now I’m sad I just sliced up the last of our apples to send off with the hubby to work…with a side of peanut butter naturally :)

Amanda — January 20, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

These look amazing! And I happen to have all the ingredients on hand…… I see a project for the afternoon with the kiddo!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — January 20, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

Delicious! What’s not to love about apples and peanut butter together!?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 20, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

Apples & PB are my favoriteeee combo ever!! Well besides crackers and hummus – and sweet potatoes and ketchup – okay, so they’re at the top on the list. I’m definitely making these.

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — January 20, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

I love the change of pan. :) It’s crazy how much more ‘fun’ something can be if you just change the way you cut it (i.e., cutting sandwiches diagonal).

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

I know! Makes eating much more fun.

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — January 20, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

No added sugar?! I LOVE it :) These bars were basically made for me…given that I eat apples and peanut butter for my after-work snack at least once a week (I’m like a kid…I went straight from after-school snacks to after-work snacks!)

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

The no added sugar thing wasn’t intentional… :)

Kristi@eatdrinkloveandexercise — January 20, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

I’m going to make these today!!

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

Hope you love them!

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) — January 20, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

That picture with the PB all melty and drippy… oh wow :D

Sommer J — January 20, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

The little ones would go insane for this. Delicious!

Erica — January 20, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

Apples & peanut butter was totally my favorite snack growing up too! Ok…and kind of still is today. The sweet and salty go so well together. These bars look delicious

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 20, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

These look delicious! I love the apple/pb combo :)

Cara Craves... — January 20, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

Can I come for snack time at your place?

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

Yes please! I could use a pal.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 20, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

Ooooh, I LOVE that drizzle of pb on top of it!

I also grew up with apples and peanut butter…and I also felt very cheated by my mother’s lack of understanding of how important Happy Meals were. :-)

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

Seriously! Now I am thrilled that we didn’t really get to eat them thought. Funny how that works. Happy birthday. ;)

Heather — January 20, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

omg i have been OBSESSED with apples and peanut butter lately…this is making an appearance in my life tonight!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — January 20, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

LOVE the wedges idea! Peanut butter and apples wasn’t a snack of my childhood but I LOVE the flavour combo now. Great recipe Jess!

Sara — January 20, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

Those look great! I love how your recipes have healthy twists when applicable (I hate it when people try to make cookies with applesauce and whole wheat flour…healthy twists are not applicable when making cookies). How do you come up with these recipes, as in how do you decide how much baking powder, flour, etc to use?

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

I’m not really a fan of cookies with applesauce, etc either… ha! As for coming up with the recipes, it is tons of trial and error. I usually have multiple fails before getting something right. As for using measurements, I usually just go off of something I’ve made in the past or eyeball it. I have a feel for it now that I’ve been baking/cooking for so long.

Lauren — January 20, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

Ok… upon first glance I thought that first picture was a photo of cubed butter! These wedges sound deeelicious. How can you go wrong with apples, peanut butter, and honey?! They sound like the perfect healthy snack :).

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

Well, that’s not too much of a stretch. I can totally see me posting a bowl of cubed butter.

• Barb Brown — January 20th, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

I thought the same thing about the cubed butter! These look awesome and I think the whole family will enjoy.

Cailin @ Stir Crazy — January 20, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

Peanut butter and apple has always been one of my favorite combos, so I think you really can’t go wrong with these bars!

jen @ taste life — January 20, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

Wow, there are so many granola bars in blog world today, I’m not sure which one to make first! LOVE the round format! And the apple idea….mmmm

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes — January 20, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

Yay! I’m on a kick where I’m really into making my own snack food — it’s so much more fun and healthy than buying bars, etc. These look awesome — and apples and peanut butter are a yummy, classic combination, as your mom knew! I’d probably add more cinnamon… because I’m obsessed.

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — January 20, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

How do you come up with these great recipes everyday?! Amazing!

Hannah — January 20, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

I just wrote you a poem:

Jessica, your bars are really great
    And even though it’s rather late
    At night, I find I still do know
    That apple and peanut butter are the way to go.

The end.

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

Hahaha. I love you.

• Hannah — January 20th, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

Then you should probably come visit Australia sometime soon. :D

Stephanie @ okie dokie artichokie — January 20, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

Mmm…can I have a slice of that, like right now, please?! Looks so decadent and luscious, but healthy at the same time. LOL. I love those kinds of meals. :p

Lisa@ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — January 20, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Snack bars as a pizza. That’s genius! :)

Jeanette — January 20, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

Sounds like a nice healthy snack!

Emily @ A Cambridge Story — January 20, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

Wow – you never cease to amaze me. These are such a great idea!! Also congrats on being on Pioneer Woman. SO exciting.

Lacey Wilcox — January 20, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Wow…best all time snack ever, not in the best snack bar ever. They look delightful ;)

Lacey Wilcox — January 20, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

oops *now…instead of not :)

Happy When Not Hungry — January 20, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

This looks amazing! Apples and peanut butter was definitely one of my favorite snacks as a kid too. You just can’t beat that flavor combination. I’ll definitely have to try this!

eliz@the sweet life — January 20, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

What a creative idea to serve like a pizza!

marla {family fresh cooking} — January 20, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

Jessica, I love everything about these bars. Perfect for hikes & skiing too :)

Terry — January 20, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

With a little chocolate drizzed on top, these would be a great “black and gold” addition to the playoff party menu this Sunday! Go Steelers!

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

Woohoo!

Suzy — January 20, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

YUM! This is on my list of to-make (today!).

Gen — January 20, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

These look DELICIOUS!!!!!! Looove apples and peanut butter. How about throwing in some chocolate chips, too? Thanks for the recipe!

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — January 20, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

apples + peanut butter was also my favorite “healthy” snack as a child!
    In school everyone would eat celeries + peanut butter but celery makes me want to rip my hair out

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

Ugh. I think we all know how I feel about celery.

Robyn — January 20, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

last night i made my favourite chewy granola bars and swapped maple extract in place of vanilla – might be nice in these too!

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

Sounds delish!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 20, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

I just started sprinkling cinnamon on apples last year. I don’t know what took me so long!

These bars looks fantastic!!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — January 20, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

Oh these look fantastic! I love it – so easy…and all my faves!

stephchows — January 20, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

No problem viewing the site, AND these look so good!! Hungry now!!

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — January 20, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

Love the idea of granola wedges!

Leandra — January 20, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

Oh boy, these look insanely good!!!!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Apple Peanut Butter Snack Bars | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Apple Peanut Butter Granola Pizza | Foodbeast Apple Peanut Butter Granola Pizza | Because We're Hungry.

3. Pingback: Apple Peanut Butter Snack Bars | How Sweet It Is » Whitney's Recipes

4. Pingback: A better start to the day « eatdrinkloveandexercisedotcom

5. Pingback: Healthy, Hungry, and Happy » Apple Snack Bars

6. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Baking And Painting « Little Miss Healthify

8. Pingback: 101 Snacks For Your Husband On The Go

9. Pingback: 101 Snacks For Your Husband On The Go | Restoration Wellness

10. Pingback: What do you crave during Fall? Try these satisfying seasonal snacks! | DOOF

11. Pingback: PB Apple Oat Bars | Eat Real Food