I’m fairly convinced that the world would be a better place if more sprinkles were involved.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

I know. I just made pancakes. It seems I have an unnatural obsession with cake batter. Well I do.
But hear me out.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

When I develop recipes, I try to make all of them for a purpose. We really hate to waste food in this house. Crab cakes for dinner, cake for a birthday party, quinoa as a side dish… it all works out. I get to share it with you and we get to eat it.
Then sometimes, I get ideas in my head. Ideas that get me so worked up that I must attempt the recipe and give it a shot as soon as possible, even if it isn’t something we will eat every day. Otherwise, I cannot stop thinking about it. These are the things that keep me up at night.

Case in point: it isn’t anyone’s birthday. It’s not even really close to anyone’s birthday.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

But I don’t need an excuse to eat cake and sprinkles. I believe it should be a daily occurrence.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

And because pancakes always need some sort of topping, I went with a sprinkled glaze.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

Because nothing goes better with cake than more sugar!

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

These are just plain fun.

Sure, they would be best for a special occasion like a birthday, but they also work on a random Saturday in January when it’s -2 degrees outside and all you want to see is some sunshine.
And you don’t feel like getting on the treadmill, so you decided to eat cake instead.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

That wasn’t me. I swear.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

And yes, this means you will have an open box of cake mix, just like you did with the cake batter bark. This is okay. You will manage. Sure, you may find yourself mixing cake mix with odd ingredients, but so what? Mother Lovett always had an open box of cake mix in her pantry. Given hers were usually about 4 years old… but still.
Just do it.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com
Cake Batter Pancakes

makes about 12 pancakes

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

2/3 cup yellow cake mix

1 tablespoon sugar

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

pinch of salt

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1-2 cups milk (I used vanilla almond milk)

assorted sprinkles

Combine flour, cake mix, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix. Add 1 cup of milk, egg and vanilla extract and stir until smooth. You want the batter to look like regular pancake batter; not too thin, not too thick. This will vary greatly on the brand of cake mix you use. Start with 1 cup of milk and add more if needed. I suggest a small taste test as well to see if the pancakes are flavored enough.

Preheat a skillet on medium heat (I use an electric grilled and turn it to 250 degrees). Fold desired amount of sprinkles into batter. Pour batter in 1/4 cup measurements onto skillet and let cook until bubbles form on top, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for 1 minute more. Serve with vanilla glaze.
Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar

1/2 tablespoon milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

assorted sprinkles

Mix milk, extract and powdered sugar until glaze forms. You may need to add a little more sugar or water/milk to reach desired consistency. Mix into glaze and drizzle on pancakes.
Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

Maybe the secret to choking down broccoli is throwing sprinkles on top?

Wishful thinking…

620 Responses to “Cake Batter Pancakes.”

Beth — April 23, 2013 @ 12:04 pm

How long can they be kept for? ?

Maegan — May 23, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

I’m not suggesting I have ever done something like this: dry mix in vanilla ice cream. Your ice cream needs to be a little melty to stir & mix…

• Domino — November 13th, 2013 @ 11:09 am

Hahahah… ^^^

Natalie — June 26, 2013 @ 11:28 am

I googled cake batter pancakes and I should have known, my favorite food blog would pop up! I am SO excited to make these for a birthday surprise for my boyfriend! Thank you for all of your amazing recipes!!

orange juice — January 3, 2014 @ 12:11 pm

This is surprisingly horrible. I made them just now and they are not good at all. So sad. They looked and sounded so good.

Martha A Cheves — February 11, 2014 @ 6:36 pm

Such a cute idea!

everythingofcooking — February 25, 2014 @ 5:49 am

Nice idea! Full of joy pancakes!

Alicia — April 15, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

Hi! I have used your recipe to make sprinkle pancakes for breakfast the morning of my daughter’s birthday the last two years (she’s now three) and we all LOVE the recipe.

I included it in a round-up of birthday tradition ideas here.

Thank you so, so much for sharing the recipe!

1 6 7 8

1. Pingback: Holiday Dessert Roundup | Richmond Treats and Kansas City Eats

2. Pingback: Birthday Surprise Part 1: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes | JustBeAlli

3. Pingback: Birthday Surprise Part 2: Cake Batter Pancakes…With Sprinkles! | JustBeAlli

4. Pingback: Fun Kids Birthday Traditions | Over The Big Moon

5. Pingback: A Cherry On Top: Feel Good Bites to Get Through The Last Weeks of Winter « Dram & Morsel

6. Pingback: What can I make with cake mix? 9 Cool Things from Cake Mix

7. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday 3/18 and what happened to six months? | Mama Sonshine

8. Pingback: Pipe Dream #185: To Fake Taste? – Cake Batter Pancakes | piping dreams

9. Pingback: Husband’s Birthday Food-Fest | Chrissie Cooks?!

10. Pingback: cake batter treats {many ways} | Circus Berry

11. Pingback: 8 AWESOME DESSERT INSPIRED BREAKFASTS | Best Friends For Frosting

12. Pingback: 10 Recipes for Birthdays | pixiedustkitchen

13. Pingback: The Sunday Edition: Links of June 30, 2013 | Cuffed Jeans and The Boots with the Heels

14. Pingback: 10 Recipes for Birthdays | Pixie Dust Kitchen

15. Pingback: Eat In Recipe: Birthday Pancakes - Rate the Plate Utah

16. Pingback: Food Holiday: International Pancake Day & Pancake Week - Rate the Plate Utah

17. Pingback: Cake Batter Pancakes - A Birthday Treasure -

18. Pingback: Cake Batter Granola Bars ‹

19. Pingback: Birthday Cake Pancakes Recipe - takingtimeformommy.com

20. Pingback: 50 Delicious Breakfasts for Mother’s Day! | Six Sisters' Stuff

21. Pingback: Ten Amazing Pancake Recipes for National Pancake Day — Just Jilly

22. Pingback: In Honor Of National Pancake Day, Here Are 15 Insanely Good Pancake Creations You Need To Try (Photos) | Elite Daily

23. Pingback: やみつきになりそう!パンケーキ党なら全部食べたい、あま~いレシピ 13選 | Seven5

24. Pingback: It’s #HAPPYDAY: Reclaim Your Happiness! | Fiestah

25. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday March 24th | Mama Sonshine

26. Pingback: 50 Cake Batter Desserts | Chef in Training

27. Pingback: Links With Love: 6 Simple Birthday Traditions to Start This Year!