As I scraped up the last drops of my hummus yesterday with a salty pita chip, I couldn’t help but think that the empty container looked like it had housed peanut butter.

Then I immediately opened up the peanut butter jar and gingerly spread some on my getting-soggy chip, right next to the hummus.

Curiosity got the best of me.

And it was delicious!

Next thing I know, I’ve got an open can of chickpeas drained and rinsed, about to be pulverized in the food processor with a few globs of peanut butter and a sprinkling of smoked paprika.

If it didn’t work out, I would have to tread back to the grocery store, making my second trip in one day. I didn’t want to start Monday off without any hummus in the fridge. This would inevitably lead to 3-5 more trips this coming week. It’s just how I do things here.

But it worked. Over and over again.

I tried it with a pita chip. I tried it on toast. I tried it right off the spoon. I tried it on a sandwich. I tried it with a pretzel. I tried it with an animal cracker. I’m weird.

I even tried it with a red pepper. That’s a vegetable in case you didn’t know. Even weirder.

Last Spring, I fell in love with hummus, but was not a fan of the flavored varieties so much.

Things have changed. And no, I’m not talking about my jeans size.

This is not a sweet hummus. Yes, it pains me to say that… but it is worth it.

It is quite savory with just a hint of peanut flavor – almost like a peanut dipping sauce or peanut satay sauce. It is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner… or if you’re anything like me, all 3.

Don’t be afraid. The combination may sound odd, but I promise with one swipe of a pita chip, you will be addicted too.

Peanut Butter Hummus

makes about 1 1/2 cups

1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

2 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

Shell chickpeas if you wish. Add chickpeas to food processor and process until finely ground. Add peanut butter and mix until combined. With the food processor on, stream in olive oil through the top. You may need to add more to meet your desired consistency. Add salt, pepper and paprika and mix.

Garnish with a sprinkling of smoked paprika. Serve with veggies and pita chips.

Go ahead. Dive right in.

140 Responses to “Creamy Peanut Butter Hummus.”

kristy — January 3, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

If anyone is concerned about the additional fat content by adding peanut butter, you could try adding powdered peanut butter to this. It’s amazing! I made an incredibly delicious dressing for broccoli slaw last night with only three ingredients: Miracle Whip Light, Litehouse Sesame Ginger dressing (available in the produce section), and powdered peanut butter. It’s creamy, low fat, and low cal. I can’t wait to use that to make wraps with chicken, shredded cabbage, red peppers and cilantro – yum!

Jess@atasteofconfidence — January 3, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

Wow- I can’t wait to try this!

Katie — January 3, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

I was a little scared of this when I first read your title…but now that you tell me it’s not sweet…it sounds delightful. You have me very intrigued.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — January 3, 2011 @ 7:25 pm

Have to admit… this sounds very vierd, but gotta give it a shot!

Ellen @FirednFabulous — January 3, 2011 @ 7:35 pm

I love hummus. I love peanut butter. I LOVE YOU.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — January 3, 2011 @ 7:53 pm

Never thought to add peanut butter to hummus! I do love flavored hummus. My new obsession is the Greek-style with olives and artichokes. Yummm!

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

Never had that but it sounds delicious!

Kelly — January 3, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

Yum. I guess because standard hummus is made with tahini this actually doesn’t sound weird to me at all. In fact, I’m sure a lot of people will be thankful for this recipe because tahini can be a wee bit expensive so this is not only a delicious, but cost saving alternative.

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

So true! I rarely buy tahini since it is so expensive.

Natalia - a side of simple — January 3, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

I’m the queen of odd food combinations in my house, so though I don’t like hummus, I totally support you 100%. :)

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 8:11 pm

Hmmm… maybe you will like this then! ;)

Maria — January 3, 2011 @ 8:21 pm

I LOVE the PB addition!

fooddreamer — January 3, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

Hmmm, I never would have thought of it, but now that you mention it, I think it would be good!

Deanna — January 3, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

I’ve tried it with peanut butter instead of hummus before, too. The other wacky thing we’ve done? Orange juice instead of lemon juice. Weird, I know. But, try it sometime. It actually works.

Deanna — January 3, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

Er…instead of tahini, that was supposed to say. :)

Amy @ whatjewwannaeat — January 3, 2011 @ 9:25 pm

I think I would love this! Can’t wait to try. You may like the pumpkin hummus I made on my blog a few weeks back. It also isn’t sweet (gasp!) but oh so delicious.

Whitney — January 3, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

Uh what? Need to try this ASAP!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 3, 2011 @ 10:02 pm

there is a local company here and they make ‘dessert hummus’ with crazy good flavors like PB and maple! I had some samples of them last year at the boston veg food fest…I am sure yours is SO much better!!

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — January 3, 2011 @ 10:30 pm

This sounds excellent…but am I the only one who has never heard of a sweet hummus??

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

I’ve never tasted or even seen dessert hummus, I have only heard of it! It actually sounds really weird to me.

Katie@Cozydelicious — January 3, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

This sounds amazing! I often make pasta tossed with chick peas and garlic and nuts, so why not? I bet it would be lovely with almond butter too (since I use almonds in my yummy pasta toss).

Kayla — January 3, 2011 @ 11:38 pm

Awesome, I know I’ll be making this soon. Most hummus recipes call for tahini and I can’t find any!! I also saw a dessert hummus that I really want to make: http://www.thewannabechef.net/recipes/miscellaneous/peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-dessert-hummus/

Annie@stronghealthyfit — January 3, 2011 @ 11:42 pm

I’d eat that.

Stephanie P @ Living and Loving — January 3, 2011 @ 11:55 pm

I just made hummus but this sounds good too! I’ll have to try this one next!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — January 4, 2011 @ 1:52 am

I’m drooling. I’ll admit it.

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — January 4, 2011 @ 2:07 am

Hmm, what an interesting flavor combo! I’m up for trying it, sure!
    Sounds delicious and I love hummus :)

Lee @ College Foodie Finds — January 4, 2011 @ 2:07 am

i am definitely going to have to try this one! peanut butter and garbanzo beans are too of my favorite foods!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 4, 2011 @ 2:08 am

oh dear Lord…you’ve gone and done it now. seriously, i’m pretty amazed :)

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh — January 4, 2011 @ 2:19 am

Oh mylanta! you have combined two of my favorite food groups into ONE…Oh dear oh dear!…Must make this asap =]

Natalie @ will jog for food — January 4, 2011 @ 2:20 am

Wow! You are good :)

Sounds like a crazy good combo…

Abby — January 4, 2011 @ 2:46 am

I can’t wait to try this!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! — January 4, 2011 @ 4:56 am

Peanut Butter and Hummus are probably my two favorite foods of all time, so I am beyond excited to try this!!!

Cara — January 4, 2011 @ 4:56 am

Can I just say how excited I am about this.
    I have been wanting to make hummus for soo long now
    but I would have to internationally import Tahini (bummer),
    so this is an excellent option…I am going to go and soak
    my chickpeas now…I can envision this on a grilled sandwich
    already :)

dmcgirl — January 4, 2011 @ 5:36 am

Wonderful idea! So Clever! I am adding your website to my blog roll!

Jamie — January 4, 2011 @ 5:39 am

I think I just peed a little. Two of my favorite things – must make now! Thank you!

Carlee — January 4, 2011 @ 7:56 am

Your a fricken genius! and a hilarious one at that! Believe me- I will try this. Before 2011 ends. Possibly within this forth coming week ;)

nico — January 4, 2011 @ 8:20 am

this is really interesting, but I don’t think it is odd since the pb is really just taking the place of the tahini … cool idea!

marla {family fresh cooking} — January 4, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

What a fun way to make hummus! I think the peanut butter sounds like a natural partner for chickpeas – must try this combo. xo

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — January 4, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

I never would have thought to use peanut butter in hummas!! You are SO smart! :)

Amber — January 4, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

Not weird….delicious! Add some tofu to make it extra creamy! Mmmm..

Ashley — January 4, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

Ooooh..yum! I’ve added pnut butter to my hummus instead of tahini before and it worked great! I’ll have to try out this recipe ESpecially b/c you use smoked paprika. <3

megan — January 4, 2011 @ 9:12 pm

So I’ve read your blog for probably a year now and never commented, but decided today was the day. I love your recipes and your photos are great too! This hummus sounds pretty fantastic!

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 11:13 pm

Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

Christie — January 4, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

I’m SO glad a friend’s link to your site found me today! I made “ghetto hummus” last night during a kitchen remodel…I still have the sink and food processor, at least until tonight. I forgot about tahini and knew it was missing something.

Today, when I realized my error, I dreaded having to go out and buy tahini. Now I think I’m just gonna add some PB and put it back in the food processor!

Of course, that means I have to *wash* it again…sigh.

But thanks, and look forward to reading more! Your photos are amazing, too!

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

Thank you! Glad you found me. ;)

Kat @ Cupcakekat — January 5, 2011 @ 5:51 am

wow this is so creative! I love peanut butter and hummus so I need to make this stat to see how they taste together

Cara — January 5, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

Delish! I could totally see a spin-off of this with some Thai flavors.

Michelle — January 5, 2011 @ 11:06 pm

This is a great idea. I guess the pb takes the place of the tahini, which really makes perfect sense, right? Replace sesame with peanut? Love it.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 6, 2011 @ 1:24 am

Wow… This recipe is intriguing. It sounds good, though. I love peanut sauce and peanuts in other savory dishes, so I’m sure I’d love it.

Cara — January 7, 2011 @ 11:07 am

Just made it yesterday!
    Turned out pretty great.
    I enjoyed a big dollop on my salad for lunch…Mmm!

• Jessica — January 7th, 2011 @ 11:41 am

So glad you liked it!

Ingrid — January 7, 2011 @ 11:47 pm

Such a strange combination….I’m going to give it a go! :)

Raquel — January 11, 2011 @ 1:46 am

I made a version of this with cashew butter, and I’m loving it! When I first tasted it, it needed something, though, so I added bacon bits. It’s so perfect I can’t stop eating it!

Jessica — January 12, 2011 @ 3:15 am

Jessica! I just got your friendship request on TK and i love you blog. I could not help but comment on this post, since FOR MONTHS I’ve been telling anyone that can listen that a hummus peanut butter sandwich is the best! this combines the best of both worlds. Must try your recipe. :)

Mrsblocko — April 7, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

I made yourpeanut butter hummus and it was awesome. I’ve never found a homemade hummus that I’ve liked until this recipe. Thank you for a reason to eat more veggies!

Kolleen — March 11, 2014 @ 2:38 pm

I have been making a similar hummus for years it is just replacing the sesame paste with peanut butter. Alton brown from the food channel calls it turbo hummus. Try this recipe with lemon juice and cumin, the best way to make it savory is to use a natural peanut butter with little or no sugar. my kids eat it with cut veggies, it’s great with celery.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Peanut Butter Hummus | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Episode 76 | my kitchen addiction

3. Pingback: Peanut Butter Hummus | Foodbeast Peanut Butter Hummus | Because We're Hungry.

4. Pingback: Fruity Asian Salad «

5. Pingback: Hummus Obsession | Happiness is a warm oven.

6. Pingback: How To Make Peanut Butter Hummus | UniqueDaily.com

7. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #16 – Creamy Peanut Butter Hummus « Ella Rose Entertaining

9. Pingback: Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus Recipe: Healthy Chickpea Dip, Tortilla Chips — Family Fresh Cooking

10. Pingback: WIAW: A Confession | The Tie Dye Files

11. Pingback: Weekend Round-up (17.04.11) « Fixations of a Canadian Twentysomething

12. Pingback: Peanut Butter Hummus « Bashfulbao