I have a simple, quick dinner for you! And it includes two of my staple food groups: butter and cheese.

Some people say that cheese and fish just don’t mesh. That does not include me. Cheese goes with everything. If I could, I’d eat a cheese sandwich on cheese bread and dip it in cheese soup.

In fact, I might do that later.

Remember when I made garlic basil butter for the balsamic gnocchi?

I figured that would be pretty darn good on fish. Especially with added cheese.

Because butter makes it better. And by “it” I mean everything.

True story.

Yes, there is butter and cheese in this, but that’s about it. The amount on each filet is less than a tablespoon so this still ranks high in my healthy weeknight meals. I’d much rather have a little of the real stuff.

Oh, and I must mention that this dish only has five ingredients – and you most likely have them all in your house. See? Fish isn’t scary. Fish is delicious.

I love serving mild fish with lemons because it reminds me of summers in Northern Michigan and days at the beach. It tastes fresh. It tastes like summer. And when the snow is still piled up to the middle of your windows after two weeks, summer is a luxurious thought.

Perfectly flakey and delicious.

Easy Baked Parmesan Tilapia

makes 4 tilapia filets

4 tilapia filets (I used fresh, but I think frozen should work too)

3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature

1/4 cup grated/shredded parmesan cheese

1 garlic clove, minced

1/4 teaspoon thyme

salt and pepper to taste

lemon slices for serving

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Pat tilapia dry (if frozen, it should be thawed first) with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Lay on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray and bake for 10-12 minutes. While fish is baking, mix butter with garlic, thyme and parmesan cheese.

Remove fish from oven and gently flip. Spread about 1/2 tablespoons of butter mixture on the fish, and heat the broiler in your oven. Set fish under the broiler for about 2-3 minutes, or until cheese gets golden and bubbly.

Serve with lemon.

It’s so versatile too! You can serve it with rice, on a salad, in a sandwich, or even with a side of vegetables… if you like that kind of thing.

113 Responses to “Easy Baked Parmesan Tilapia.”

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — January 26, 2011 @ 8:13 pm

I feel the same way about cheese. The more the better. :)

Jennifurla — January 26, 2011 @ 9:44 pm

Definitely going to try this over the weekend, Just gorgeous

Ellie@fitforthesoul — January 26, 2011 @ 10:06 pm

I love fish too! Sometimes I wonder if I should just be Pescatarian. What a delicious and easy recipe.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 26, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

Im hoping after comp prep I will be able to look at white fish again!!!

• Jessica — January 27th, 2011 @ 3:45 am

Good luck! Competing totally ruined chicken and tuna for me.

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — January 26, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

Hmmm…perhaps I’ll have to give fish another chance. Maybe.

• Jessica — January 27th, 2011 @ 3:45 am

You must!

ashley@quasichick — January 27, 2011 @ 12:52 am

I love tilpapia b/c its cheap, mild tasting and easy to find. And adding butter and cheese…genius!

Rachel — January 27, 2011 @ 1:31 am

YUM! This looks delicious. I absolutely love tilapia and am trying to cook fish more often…this recipe is perfect, thanks!

Kath — January 27, 2011 @ 2:27 am

GORGEOUS!

Baking 'n' Books — January 27, 2011 @ 2:56 am

CHEESE GOES WITH EVERYTHING!!! Love tilapia with veggies and rice…and drowned in cheese and spaghetti sauce or salsa ;)

• Jessica — January 27th, 2011 @ 3:42 am

That’s the truth.

mary (what's cookin' with mary) — January 27, 2011 @ 3:11 am

I love it! I need some more fish in my life !!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 27, 2011 @ 3:57 am

You make a boring fish look SO good! I am printing this one!!

Jun — January 27, 2011 @ 6:49 am

I think that cheese and fish don’t mesh… so I have to taste this recipe cuz the photos are so tantalizing!

Vanessa — January 27, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

I tried this recipe just last night and my boyfriend and daughter were fighting over the last piece of fish. It was so simple and quick – perfect for after a long day at the office. It tasted so good and the presentation is nice as well. I served this with roasted fingerling potatoes and green beans. The meal came together in less than 1 hour and everyone loved it. This is going in my recipe box. Thanks so much for sharing this idea.

• Jessica — January 27th, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

So glad you guys liked it!

Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com — January 27, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

OMG. YUM!

Jennifurla — January 27, 2011 @ 5:42 pm

Made this last night using and hebed butter, loved it!

• Jessica — January 27th, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

Awesome!

Cristina Hartman — January 27, 2011 @ 11:10 pm

Just made this tonight- we have tried other Tilapia recipes these past couple of weeks and my husband said tonight “This was the best one yet!” Thanks!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 28, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

These look great! I haven’t been making nearly enough fish lately… This might be good inspiration for me to try to make it more often.

Natalie S — January 28, 2011 @ 10:55 pm

Made this tonight…Oh.my. It was so good!! I was out of lemons, so I had to roll without, but it was delicious! Even the kiddos agreed ;) Thanks!

Clare — January 29, 2011 @ 12:05 am

Well I just picked up some tilapia and parm at the store today… Looks like I know what I’ll be making for dinner. I’ve always wondered about how well fish and cheese would work together, but this looks absolutely delicious.

Kari — January 31, 2011 @ 8:28 am

This looks so good! I don’t eat seafood very often but this looks fabulous (especially the cheese :D) Tilapia is definitely making it’s way on to my shopping list this week! By the way….where did you find that beautiful blue dish? I want them!

• Jessica — January 31st, 2011 @ 11:27 am

It was actually my grandma’s! I have them in blue and pink.

Angela — February 15, 2011 @ 5:27 am

Another great recipe! And so easy! All three of my little ones ate it too :). Will need to get more fish next time :).

Kristen@PrettySweet — February 22, 2011 @ 12:56 am

Made this tonight…except with salmon – and except with herbs de provence instead of thyme. It was incredible! I don’t even like salmon very much, but this was Very Tasty. =)

• Jessica — February 22nd, 2011 @ 1:08 am

So glad you liked it!

Mrsblocko — June 4, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

I hate fish. It is gross. Sadly, my husband loves it and I am trying to learn to at least tolerate it. This recipe was awesome though. ( Wrote about it here) If fish always tasted like this I’d live in the ocean! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. Seriously. You rock.

Sea Cuisine — August 8, 2011 @ 9:37 am

Just as you say butter makes anything better, we believe that cheese has the same effect. Therefore, this recipe is simply amazing in our eyes. We have some frozen tilapia fillets that would be perfect for this. This is very similar to a Florentine recipe, which again is fabulous because it involves cheese.

Erin — April 12, 2012 @ 7:44 pm

I made this recipe tonight. YUM… So much flavor! :-)

harry — October 14, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

did you add mayo? there’s white cream in the bowl as well so thought you might of miss it.

Nicole fleniken — April 20, 2013 @ 4:31 pm

Where the nutritional info? Don’t see anything?

Minnie — July 24, 2013 @ 1:41 am

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you
    really know what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Please also talk over with my website =). We could have a hyperlink trade contract among us

baking soda uses — September 6, 2013 @ 5:19 pm

Great blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little
    lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with
    a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many choices out there that I’m completely confused ..
    Any recommendations? Many thanks!

Julianndowns — January 22, 2014 @ 8:49 pm

I make this very similarly. I melt butter in a pan with some dried thyme and pour it on top of the fish. then i bake the tilapia between 350 and 375 ( can never be sure because i make it differently each time). when fish is baked (about 20 minutes) i broil with parmesan.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Easy Parmesan Baked Tilapia | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Easy Parmesan Baked Tilapia « Brownies and Zucchini

3. Pingback: Tilapia Goodness | Health in Real Life

4. Pingback: recipe reco: easy parmesan baked tilapia | you're so martha

5. Pingback: Parmesan Baked Tilapia « Mom Makes…

6. Pingback: Party time — Delight in the Everyday