I’ve got another recipe to get you out of that boring-chicken rut!

It’s super simple and packed with tons of flavor. All you must do is marinate it beforehand, and cook when ready to eat. So tasty and loaded with layers of deliciousness.

And if you’re wondering, I think I spent more on this fresh basil than my latest pair of shoes.

You can only imagine how excited Mr. How Sweet gets when I cook chicken. It’s like Garth Brooks is touring again and his openers are Stone Cold Steve Austin and Triple H in a “fascinating” WWF match. With a Nascar race during intermission.

Chicken is an exciting topic in the How Sweet household.

But to be fair, almost anything is better than the stuff he used to eat in his bachelor days. If chicken gets you all hot and bothered too, I suggest trying some chicken chickpea soup, one pot tortilla soup, cheesy chicken and rice bake, crunchy honey chicken, healthy crunchy chicken fingers, buffalo chicken burgers or chicken mac and cheese. Mmmmmmm… cheese.

The possibilities here are endless: you can make a toasted sandwich, a pasta dish, serve it with rice, make a chicken bruschetta quesadilla, even throw it on top of pizza.

Or you can be like Mr. How Sweet and eat it with your fingers as soon as your spouse has finished photographing it. He has no shame.

I think he loved it, but I really couldn’t tell since his mouth was full. I did manage to translate that this was some of the “most tender chicken he had ever tasted.”

Try the marinade people.

Grilled Tomato Basil Chicken

serves 2 (or 1, if you’re Mr. How Sweet)

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 large tomatoes

1/4 cup fresh chopped basil

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 clove garlic, chopped

2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

for marinade:

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or any vinegar you have on hand)

1 tablespoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried mustard

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

2-24 hours before cooking, tenderize meat (with a meat tenderizer or frying pan), season generously with salt and pepper, and place in a ziplock bag. Add marinade ingredients and make sure all chicken is covered. Store in the refrigerator, flipping occasionally, until 30 minutes before grilling.

Preheat oven to 375.

Preheat grill, grill pan, or skillet on medium heat (I used a cast iron grill pan) and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Grill chicken 2-3 minutes on each side, until just cooked. Place in a baking dish and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.

While chicken is baking, chop one tomato and slice the other into thick rounds. Lay slices of tomato on a platter. When chicken is done, slice and lay on top of tomato. Cover with basil, chopped tomato, garlic and parmesan.

Maybe if I make this every night I’ll win the battle over the turkey? One can dream.

98 Responses to “Grilled Tomato Basil Chicken.”

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 4, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

OH YUM so simple! reminds me of summer

oh and its missing the fres mozz!! ;)

Chicago Cuisine Critique — January 4, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

This looks great. I have made something similar with a little balsamic and some fresh mozzarella slices..I may have to try your version. Yum. :)

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

I should have added some fresh mozz… yum.

I have been looking for different ideas for dinner to surprise my meat eating boyfriend. Thanks for the inspiration – you have a lot of recipes that are unique.
    This chicken recipe is a good one!!

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

Thank you!

Amy @ Serve At Once — January 4, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

My goodness, WHERE did you get such lovely tomatoes in JANUARY?! Yum, Jessica…you outdid yourself here.

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

My local grocery store actually… it was a surprise to me too!

Rach — January 4, 2011 @ 8:42 pm

Umm… hello deliciousness.

Leah @ Why Deprive? — January 4, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

Yum!! I’m pretty sure tomato and basil were meant to be together. This sounds so amazing!

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

I agree.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — January 4, 2011 @ 10:08 pm

I love basil, and I have a lot at home right now! This looks good :)

Mandi — January 5, 2011 @ 12:24 am

Oh goodness the hubs would love this one. He is always wanting me to cook healthier chicken dishes like this. One of his faves is a roasted balsamic chicken recipe with red peppers and onions. I need to give this one a try!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — January 5, 2011 @ 12:27 am

Oh my goodness this looks amazing! I’m a vegan but bet it would be delicious without the chicken. Aren’t thankful husbands amazing?

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 1:07 am

I love that you still commented even though you’re vegan. Thank you! You rock.

Jessica — January 5, 2011 @ 12:45 am

This recipe makes my mouth water! I love the combination of fresh basil, tomatoes and cheese… adding the grilled chicken sounds even yummier. :) Maybe when I try this I will throw some bacon crumbles on there too and see if that gives it a little extra kick. :) Thanks so much for the GREAT recipe!

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 1:06 am

You’re a girl after my own heart. :)

Katrina — January 5, 2011 @ 12:58 am

Healthy! This looks scrumptious!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabuloya! — January 5, 2011 @ 1:50 am

Wow that looks gorgeous and delicious!!

Ashley — January 5, 2011 @ 2:01 am

This looks incredibly delicious and refreshing! :)

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — January 5, 2011 @ 2:03 am

This does look very delicious! My husband would love it too if I’d make this for him!
    Thanks for sharing :)

Katie @ cozydelicious — January 5, 2011 @ 3:22 am

Yum! I am tucking this one away for summer. I always end up with WAY too much basil and this will be perfect.

Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — January 5, 2011 @ 3:53 am

Now if I only like tomatoes outside of ketchup, and pasta sauce. We’d be golden. :)

Kat — January 5, 2011 @ 5:19 am

Am I the only one here that likes tomatoes?
    Looks like a great dish

Lexie — January 5, 2011 @ 5:48 am

I was just telling my husband this evening that a grilled chicken version of a caprice salad would be so good… and i get on your blog and here this is! we got the same craving i guess :) love your site and happy new year!!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — January 5, 2011 @ 7:48 am

This is looks SO delicious! I’m making this for dinner tomorrow :)

kelly — January 5, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

are you trying to say that garth touring is a bad thing?! we might not be friends anymore. and i think a better match up would be stone cold and the rock, because we all know the rock would run away crying. don’t worry…i wouldn’t enjoy the nascar part :)

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — January 5, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

All of those vibrant colors — AMAZING.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 6, 2011 @ 1:48 am

Yum! A great change from the “usual” chicken.

Pam — February 27, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

I tried your recipe tonight and it was amazing! I added a tad of cooked orzo pasta to the tomato mixture and it was awesome! I felt like we needed something warm in February. I also did not have any red wine vinegar on hand so I used white wine vinegar for the marinade. Next time I think I might try some balsamic. Oh, and on the tomato slices I added just a pinch of truffle salt. Very yummy! I am a fan and will try some of your other recipes.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Grilled Tomato Basil Chicken | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Kitchen Inspiration « Simply Kelly Anne